PDA

View Full Version : Trying to save dogs from the cold. HELP!

Kloubek
01-28-2008, 05:56 PM
So - I live in a townhouse complex. A unit recently sold, and the new owner has a tenant, who has two dogs. Since the owner does not know the dogs and has a child, she refuses to have the dogs inside the home - which is understandable.

As a board member, we have told her that she cannot have the dogs on public property, and they have to go. To which she has ignored our demands. That's ok - we're issuing a fine today.

But what the real problem is this: The dogs are not large animals, are are each being kept in plastic kennels measuring about 3.5x2.5 feet. But these kennels are completely outside in the -39 degree windchill weather! I don't think that's cool at all.

I called the Humane Society, who told me that the Police are taking care of such issues. So I called the police, and after being put on hold for 20 minutes I got through to an officer who sounded very much like she hated her job. After discussing other options which would keep the cops from having to come out on such a "trivial" issue, she finally allowed me to give her the address of the offending party. She then told me that she was unable to enter my address into her computer, and claimed she could therefore not enter the complaint. Apparently it was not coming up with our road information. She told me to call back when I had proper street address information. Which, of course I do BECAUSE I LIVE HERE!!!!

Friggin idiots. I told her thanks for nothing, and I guess the dogs would just freeze and hung up on her.

I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions? These poor dogs are going to freeze to death!

badatusrnames
01-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Take the dogs in yourself :dunno:

Kloubek
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
The owner and my two cats might have something to say about that....

hedge
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Did you try the SPCA or is that what you meant by humane society?

Graham_A_M
01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I'd wrap the kennels in blankets and put a little cloth "doorway" at the entrance to keep the heat in, and use some space heaters to keep them warm, just so long as it doesn't get TOO cold in there, and they'd have lots of blankets to snuggle up in. Probably the best most un-confrontational thing I think you guys could do. I know (enery effeciency wise) it wouldn't be the smartest thing, but this cold-snap should be over around Thursday anyway, so that should work until then.
:dunno:

(just an idea)

finboy
01-28-2008, 06:08 PM
light her house on fire, the dogs can get close for heat :thumbsup:

Donmega
01-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Try calling the police again, and you might get someone nicer. but as for keeping them outside in this weather, thats unacceptable. Maybe they should try staying out in a kennel in this weather!!:thumbsdow :guns:

Kloubek
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, I looked in the phone book and online for SPCA, but everything directs me to the Humane Society. I always thought they were different entities. If anyone has an SPCA-specific number for me to call, I'm all ears.

Originally posted by hedge
Did you try the SPCA or is that what you meant by humane society?

In reference to the space heater and blanket idea - as a board member I need to keep myself from getting directly involved with such issues, and unfortunately such measures would indeed make me directly involved. While the cold snap will be over in a few days, I fear the damage might already be done to the animals by that point....

snowboard
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
why dont they just put the dogs in the house in the new tenants room?

Kloubek
01-28-2008, 06:18 PM
The owner of the home says that because she has a child and is unfamilier with the animals, she refuses to have them inside. House rules I guess.... but ridiculous in my opinion under the circumstances.

snowboard
01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
no doubt, i can totally understand not wanting the dogs around the child, but they would be seriously easy to keep seperate...

Kloubek
01-28-2008, 06:28 PM
I called the police again in desperation, and got someone else. Finally, they are sending a unit out to investigate. I guess that is about all I can do.

Here's hoping they charge the asshole with animal cruelty.

Donmega
01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
^^+1
keep us updated!! i want to know that something was actually done. I wouldn't think twice about putting my dog outside in this weather, what makes them think its ok?

snowboard
01-28-2008, 06:38 PM
yah gotta even let dogs in asap when they are pisssing or they will get frost bite on their paws :(

badatusrnames
01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
You could pay to keep them at a boarding kennel until at least the cold weather passes...

Big Dangerous
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I usually hate HOA, they're usually a bunch of nepotistic assholes. Depending on the type of dog, ( a husky or whatever) you're being an idiot.

If it's a chihuahua, then yah, be alarmed.

snowboard
01-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Big Dangerous
I usually hate HOA, they're usually a bunch of nepotistic assholes. Depending on the type of dog, ( a husky or whatever) you're being an idiot.

If it's a chihuahua, then yah, be alarmed.

are you kidding? lots of big dogs are not meant for cold weather.
k yah if its a malamute chilling out in the cold, big deal, but if you put a malamute or a husky in a 3x2.5 kennel you should get stomped in the first place.

thrasher22
01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
1. Punch her in the face for being such a terrible heartless person.
2. Put the dogs in your house? Its only going to be this cold for the next couple days, but -49 with the wind chill is a death sentace

jdm_eg6
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
well for one its animal cruelty either way you put it... you said there is an owner to these pets:dunno: umm where are they? if not then call the police again. and atleast let us know where this is so somone can take them away....

adamc
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
underground parking?

Kona9
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
PM me. My vet takes in animals like this all the time. It is in Fish creek but they will take them. I will call them right now.

jdm_eg6
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
+1 for that.. CALL KONA9!! BEYOND.ca Saves the day again. ha ha :thumbsup:

A790
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
It sounds like if you don't get involved the dogs are going to die. Fuck the rules, save their lives.

icecreamvan
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Go Kona9!

I'll gladly help with the heist operation if required. AWD getaway vehicle ftw!:thumbsup:

Kona9
01-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Take them to Fish Creek 24 Hr hospital

3125 150 Millrise Blvd.

I just got off the phone and they will take them.

Don't be a procrastinator with the fact it is 24hr. The actions of the owner deem her as useless and inhumane. The animals do not belong in her care. Get them there ASAP.

jdm_eg6
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Good on you KONA9... lets hope this ignorant woman gets whats coming to her, and i hope its not to late to help these dogs from any serious harm.

Kona9
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
Go Kona9!

I'll gladly help with the heist operation if required. AWD getaway vehicle ftw!:thumbsup:

If I have to go get them, let me know!! This is Bullshit.

I'm in Killarney. Do we have a Beyond Rescue Mission?

finboy
01-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

If I have to go get them, let me know!! This is Bullshit.

I'm in Killarney. Do we have a Beyond Rescue Mission?

if my car started, i'd be in to help, good on you for helping out kona :thumbsup:

jdm_eg6
01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
ill help. just let me know where we need to go.

Kona9
01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I have a PM into the OP stating I will come and get them and take them in.

Just waiting...........

Toms-SC
01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Just heard this on the news. It is ILLEGAL to have your pets outside in the cold. Call 266-1234 again and call the SPCA again. This is illegal and the dogs can die.

Kona9
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Just heard this on the news. It is ILLEGAL to have your pets outside in the cold. Call 266-1234 again and call the SPCA again. This is illegal and the dogs can die.

:clap: Thanks Tips!! Never thought I would have to say that to you! :rofl:

Toms-SC
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Furthermore if the police refuse to do anything follow up with a call to 311! Tell them whats happening and they'll most likely pipe it to By Law. Whatever you do DO NOT let this slide.

Toms-SC
01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Kona9 you stepped up, I'm just following through man. Props to you. Hopefully Kloubek hasn't pulled a typical 'it's not my problem' move.

Kona9
01-28-2008, 07:59 PM
With my offerings on the table, I NEED to know what is going on. Not something I would feel cool about turning a blind eye to.

Here are a few reasons why....

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s135/kona9/BERKLEY-3.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s135/kona9/PapaFuneral044.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s135/kona9/PapaFuneral035.jpg

Toms-SC
01-28-2008, 08:03 PM
:cry: Even I have a heart

<3 Puppah <3

rmk
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Post up the info. Beyonders inindate 266-1234 response system.

Toms-SC
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm starting to think 311 would be better as they are in contact with animal services.

Graham_A_M
01-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry dude, I skimmed throught the initial thread and thought the dogs were yours. :banghead:
Frick I gotta stop doing that.

Put pepperspray in her make up... what a fucking bitch.

im2fst4u
01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
I say we all meet at the residence with the media! I have a Great Pyrenees (110lbs) and she is out doing her business maybe for 5 or 6 minutes tops and then you can see the cold in her eyes! Get those dogs in before it's too late!
I cannot believe the CPS has done nothing at this point?

badatusrnames
01-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Kona, you have a PM...

Kona9
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Kona, you have a PM...

Thanks!

Kona9
01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Here is to hoping KLOUBEK is dealing with the police right now.

I have been able to make contact with kloubek and give my information via voicemail. He did not answer the 3 times I tried.

Hopefully the right thing has been done already. If not I am still available to help.

Kloubek
01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks to everyone. It's quite heartwarming to hear that so many people care about "stranger" animals.

After finally connecting with someone at CPS who gave a shit, they did finally send a cruiser over. I saw them parked in front of this unit for some time before I went out for dinner. When I got back, there was an unknown truck idling in front of their place - I presume to remove the dogs from the back of the townhouse.

I will check again late tonight and they better be out of there. Otherwise Kona, myself, and whoever else wants to get involved will put together a rescue.

Thanks again to everyone who cared about this.

Kona9
01-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Just got off the phone with Kloubek. The police made their appearance and he mentioned they were there for a noticeable amount of time.

I think it is fair to say the situation has been handled. I really don't believe the CPS would leave this situation the same way as to when they showed up.

Big thanks to Kloubek for being upstanding and looking for a solution to an unfortunate situation.

finboy
01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
good job boys :thumbsup:

Donmega
01-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Great work guys!!:clap: :clap:

Kloubek
01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I just checked guys. The dogs have been removed from the complex. Now I can sleep at night. :)

Finboy: I hope you don't still think I lack morals. ;)

gatorade
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
awesome

Toms-SC
01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Great ending!

im2fst4u
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Way to go KLOUBEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BEER AND PIZZA IS ON ME BUDDY!

Mazstyle
01-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Aw I was hoping for a beyonder dog heist in the cover of night, either way good to hear it ended well!

Donmega
01-28-2008, 10:14 PM
We got Beyond HEROES and CSI up in this bitch!:eek: :eek:

01RedDX
01-28-2008, 10:15 PM

sr20s14zenki
01-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Props!! people seem to think that animals are just "accessories" these days, its pretty bad. "Shit, i cant keep my dog in the house, oh well i guess he will have to freeze, ill just buy another one when i get another house"

bastards.

Kritafo
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
good job. I tried to get a cat into our house this morning it was crying and crying outside.

Most Vet clinics will hold animals until SPCA can pick them up, if it's at night the 24 hour clinics.

Animal Cruelty is so wrong. I can barely get our outside. Those poor dogs.
You did a god thing to get involved.

Kona9
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Glad it ended the way it did. It's truly unfortunate it was that tough to get through with the POLICE. Your persistance paid off. We can potentially chalk one back up for CPS for ultimately handling the situation even though it was too much a struggle for the importance of what was really at hand.

I was ready. GPS on the blackberry with the address typed in, truck running so it would be warm for my dog. Vet aware of potential situation.

Good on Beyonders to come to the plate instantly to aid another unfortunate incident. It's nice to know that in a city full of so much bullshit, that there are good, honest, people out there.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

finboy
01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I just checked guys. The dogs have been removed from the complex. Now I can sleep at night. :)

Finboy: I hope you don't still think I lack morals. ;)

i approve of how you deal with animals ;)

403Gemini
01-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Holy crap cant believe i missed this thread all day, so happy to see how it ended.

Kona, that your pup on page 1?

300zxfairlday
01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I have a husky , which stays outside, i thought it was tooo cold last night and today so i trieddd so hard to bring him inside or even into the house HE Would not come in I got him in for about 20 mins and he started attacking the dooor to get out lol. He did the same thing last year, stayed out all winter, Im not too sure but is this ok for him or not? He has a doghouse out there too and a big deck which he goes under when its raining but in the snow he decides to sleep right in the middle of a snowpile.

weedman
01-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Kritafo did you get the poor cat to come in or what happened?? man i feel so bad for any animals outside rite now its just not right. Thanks to beyonders for stepping up

badatusrnames
01-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Did you watch the Top Gear North Pole special? From what I've seen, those dogs do just fine in cold weather... although, that being said, I think they usually huddle up together for heat.

There should be info out there on how low of a temp they can tolerate.

rony_espana
01-28-2008, 11:58 PM
I have a St. Bernard and he didn't complain at all when I brought him in! He just we straight to sleep. His eyes were pretty much frozen shut when I did bring him in...I don't think any dog can handle this weather.

300zxfairlday
01-28-2008, 11:58 PM
-40ish is what ive heard ill look around tho

D'z Nutz
01-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Bravo! You guys are my heroes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kloubek: were you able to confirm the dogs were alright though? How long were they out there?

jdm_eg6
01-29-2008, 12:19 AM
ha ha soon enough a news headline is going to hit up the herald...

"INTERNET SITE WATCHES PUBLIC

From hit and runs, and stealing your speakers, to animal cruelty over the past year the internet site beyond.ca has solved a few of its own crimes with the help of a wide fan base and quick acting individuals. The most recent event, an animal abuse case in a condo block left a wake of replies on the known site and as one Kloubek said "The dogs have been removed from the complex. Now I can sleep at night" referring to his relief knowing the dogs are now in good hands. "

haha good ollld beyond.

Kloubek
01-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I will admit, occasional breeds of dogs CAN withstand pretty cold temperatures. I'm sure a Husky would be one of them, since it's native to such temperatures. Also, dogs with a lot of muscle and fat for insulation should be better - although I personally wouldn't like leaving ANY dog out in this kind of weather. Especially not day after day like he was. If the dog is not restrained like these ones were, and he's quite happily lying in snow, I wouldn't worry about it. He'll let you know when he's pissed. :)

While I did not venture too close to this unit, and did not get a good look at the breeds, the fact they were in such small kennels and that their barks were not very deep, I'm guessing they are not the kind of dogs which could withstand the cold very well.

Originally posted by 300zxfairlday
I have a husky , which stays outside, i thought it was tooo cold last night and today so i trieddd so hard to bring him inside

Nutz: I really have no way of confirming what became of the dogs, as I can't very well go to the owner and say... "Hey, I'm the one who called the cops on you. Are your dogs doing ok"? lol

I just have to hope that by dealing with the cops that they did the right thing. That's really all I can do, but you can imagine that if this guy gets to keep the dogs that he probably doesn't take care of them very well otherwise.

If I didn't have to represent my condo board, I would give the guy a piece of my mind too. He's a f**king idiot, and so is his landlord who knew they were out there but she didn't do a thing. Sometimes you really have to wonder what goes through people's minds sometimes....

finboy
01-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Sometimes you really have to wonder what goes through people's minds sometimes....

landlord's case would be "$$$$"

Kloubek
01-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Ah yes.. the almighty buck. Guess people have done worse in the past than turning a blind eye to animal cruelty...

Kona9
01-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Holy crap cant believe i missed this thread all day, so happy to see how it ended.

Kona, that your pup on page 1?

Yes that is my Boston on page 1. Been through alot with that little guy. He's tough as nails and super smart for a year and 8 months old.

He has a vet appt tonight. I will be able to complete the story from when I called there last night.

Stonejaw
01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Dude! I have seen all kinds of squirels and birds outside in this weather call the SPCA, they are way smaller then dogs and will surley freeze to death!!!

Actually wait animals live outside and can survive the cold.

You guys obviously are all city slickers and have never lived on a farm, dogs are outside in way colder weather then this I can guarentee you. Dogs are tough baring they fall in the water while in this cold they would be fine.

Kona9
01-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Stonejaw
Dude! I have seen all kinds of squirels and birds outside in this weather call the SPCA, they are way smaller then dogs and will surley freeze to death!!!

You guys obviously are all city slickers and have never lived on a farm, dogs are outside in way colder weather then this I can guarentee you. Dogs are tough baring they fall in the water while in this cold they would be fine.

Piss off Noob!

Next time try to be a smart ass before the situation is over. Dork!

Stonejaw
01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Kona9

Piss off Noob!

Next time try to be a smart ass before the situation is over. Dork!

The guy with 1.15 posts per day since June 2003 is calling me a dork HAHAHA

Kloubek
01-29-2008, 09:55 AM
What does post volume have to do with being a dork?

Besides that - your post count is only .08 per day.

Just for the record.

finboy
01-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by hickn00b

You guys obviously are all city slickers and have never lived on a farm

http://butlersheetmetal.com/tinbasherblog/images/deliverance_dueling_banjos.jpg

Kona9
01-29-2008, 09:58 AM

The guy with 1.15 posts per day since June 2003 is calling me a dork HAHAHA

That's right bitch, 1.15 posts per day and making decent coin doing so.

It goes to show your level of education and knowledge of all animals. You sure do stand out as a farm boy. More so probably an inbred redneck with nothin' but your dad or little brother to do on cold days while your polar farm dogs are out frollicking in the snow.

It's all good though, we accept all kinds here at Beyond. That is until you make yourself unwanted. Looks like your on the right path for that to.

01RedDX
01-29-2008, 10:07 AM

syeve
01-29-2008, 11:59 AM
You guys obviously are all city slickers and have never lived on a farm, dogs are outside in way colder weather then this I can guarentee you.

Go be "country" somewhere else douche bag. Just because they can be outside, doesn't mean they should be.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/1182820573826.jpg

cdnsir
01-29-2008, 12:31 PM

Way to represent the red necks there! Get off the computer and go rape a chicken you stupid inbreed bitch!

Jlude
01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Go be &quot;country&quot; somewhere else douche bag. Just because they can be outside, doesn't mean they should be.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/1182820573826.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HondaRice
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
interesting, we hardly putting a dent fixing he homeless problem but we can fix the dog problem

Canmorite
01-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
interesting, we hardly putting a dent fixing the homeless problem but we can fix the dog problem

There are shelters for the homeless to go to. Dogs cannot escape their cage and then find the warmest 'animal home' to rest in.

:thumbsdow

LadyLuck
01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Unless you can get the cops out of their warm Tim Hortons theyre not gonna do anything about it.

Contact the media, Animal Services or just go and reem the bitch out!

does she speak english??

teggypimp95
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
interesting, we hardly putting a dent fixing he homeless problem but we can fix the dog problem

Thats was a fuckin retarted thing to say. I feel my IQ gets lower when ever i read ur useless posts. Grab a brain.

Gorilla
01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

There are shelters for the homeless to go to. Dogs cannot escape their cage and then find the warmest 'animal home' to rest in.

:thumbsdow

WORD UP!!!!

2002civic
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Princess*Precid
Unless you can get the cops out of their warm Tim Hortons theyre not gonna do anything about it.

Contact the media, Animal Services or just go and reem the bitch out!

does she speak english??
next time read the whole thread to relize something was done before commenting!

Kona9
01-29-2008, 01:51 PM

Small dependance difference there HondaRice

LadyLuck
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic

my bad!

Good job, glad to know the pups are in a warmer place

rmk
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic

lesbowned

Donmega
01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
^^LMAOO.

Weapon_R
01-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Just wondering how many homeless people you took in last night?

finboy
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Just wondering how many homeless people you took in last night?

do hookers count as homeless :confused: :D

Big Dangerous
01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

are you kidding? lots of big dogs are not meant for cold weather.
k yah if its a malamute chilling out in the cold, big deal, but if you put a malamute or a husky in a 3x2.5 kennel you should get stomped in the first place. Silly fool, they're kenneled by professionals in the open air. A husky wouldn't fit in a kennel that small anyway. Those dogs would handle more cold than any helly hansen parka you own.

Originally posted by 300zxfairlday
I have a husky , which stays outside, i thought it was tooo cold last night and today so i trieddd so hard to bring him inside or even into the house HE Would not come in I got him in for about 20 mins and he started attacking the dooor to get out lol. He did the same thing last year, stayed out all winter, Im not too sure but is this ok for him or not? He has a doghouse out there too and a big deck which he goes under when its raining but in the snow he decides to sleep right in the middle of a snowpile.
Thank you.

Some people know nothing.

GTS Jeff
01-29-2008, 06:19 PM
interesting, we hardly putting a dent fixing he homeless problem but we can fix the dog problem I'd like to see you come back in this thread to try to justify this comment after everyone's called you out for being a jackass.

snowboard
01-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Big Dangerous
Silly fool, they're kenneled by professionals in the open air. Those dogs would handle more cold than any helly hansen parka you own.

Thank you.

Some people know nothing.

wtf are you talking about?
i'm saying malamuts and such can stand the cold, but they would be too big for the size of kennel he described? i would know.

sigh and i wear special blend. cant you tell?

Cypresskilla
01-29-2008, 07:28 PM

You heartless piece of country fried shit. how bout you go stand outside in the back forty for 10 mins and see how well you do. Get fucked hick!!!!!!!