PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Causing Ticking?

Weapon_R
07-28-2003, 08:57 PM
I've heard that sometimes changing engine oil will cause a ticking sound in the engine.

What is the cause of this, and what can I do to fix it?

BigMass
07-28-2003, 09:12 PM
You can get lifter tick from certain synthetic oils. Mobil 1 or other might cause it, but the real cause of it is dirty lifters. If you dont want to take them out and clean them you can try and using an engine detergent/cleaner before your next oil change and see if that helps.

Weapon_R
07-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
You can get lifter tick from certain synthetic oils. Mobil 1 or other might cause it, but the real cause of it is dirty lifters. If you dont want to take them out and clean them you can try and using an engine detergent/cleaner before your next oil change and see if that helps.

An engine flush would work?

BigMass
07-28-2003, 09:39 PM
yes it definately might help. Nothing is certain though. You can also put in some oil detergent and run your car for a little bit then flush it. Then fill it up with the good stuff.

Davetronz
07-28-2003, 10:39 PM
I tend to disagree.
The 2G DSM's really have an issue with lifter tick.
Changing to synthetic (from a regular oil) is one of the FEW ways to reduce this effect.
Reason being is that synthetic motor oils tend to stick to engine parts and coat them for longer than regular motor oils.
Particularly on a DSM engine, the lifters tend to tick due to a problem in oil circulation to the top of the block when the engine is just started.
Once you have driven for a while or let the engine warm up, the tick almost always decreases and goes away.
I dont have any experience with oil detergents, so I will let BigMass guide you there.
One of the other ways of getting this tick eliminated is to replace your oil sending unit with a high pressure sending unit that will deliver more oil to the top of the block at first start conditions.

Try running a few rounds of syntec into the engine and see if it makes the problem any better.

- dave

ninspeed
07-28-2003, 10:50 PM
agreed with dave. I had bad lifter on on 1G '64. I switched to a semi synthetic for 2 changes, then to full synthetic and it made it go away after less time.

The best stuff i have used though for a self flush is the wynns tune up in a can for like 3.99 at crappy tire. Poor in, run engine for 10 minutes, then drain.

Gotrek
08-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Treat it with Auto-Rx it will stop noisy lifters.

http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html

And if you need proof this stuff works I reccoment this site

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

And particularily the forums.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?

I'm an oil nut I spend most of my time here

legendboy
08-01-2003, 01:25 PM
an engine/oil flush could make it worse. All you need is a valve adjustment. Easy on our cars. Takes like 45mins max.

cocoabrova
08-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Drop some 20W50 in that biatch:rofl:But like legendboy said, do a valve adj. especially if it's been awhile. THEN if the noise is still present I'd try the other methods stated above