PDA

View Full Version : Totalled my car, now what do I do?

johnny.r1.lee
01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I totalled my 05 Chevy Blazer on sunday, 5 minutes out side of Canmore. (Rollover)
I am sure it is not repairable although we can salvage few things out of it.

I do not have collision on my insurance thus I am free to do whatever with the car.

What should I do with it?

donate?(tax receipt)
junkyard?(few bucks?)
find someone who wants it?

bobby_lu
01-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Charge 10 bucks a pop for beyonders to have it with a baseball bat...if theres enough angry people, it might be worth your while :D

ScottysZ
01-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Its still pretty new, if it was me id pull out any of the powertrain that still works, assuming it isnt completely fucked, and just list it up on some sites, bargainfinder, etc. After youve pulled anything you could make a adecent amount reselling then id see if a junkyard will buy it, or donate it for tax credit... or give er shit with a bat.:D

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
whats market price?
someone should just buy the whole powertrain

Proboscis
01-30-2008, 12:13 AM
4.3L V6/4L60-E How many km on the powertrain?

Evolize
01-30-2008, 12:15 AM
I'll tell you now, no junk yard will take it without powertrain. I sent you a PM to buy the whole vehicle, please get back to me.

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
55 000, or slightly over or under, i was going to take it in before warranty ended to fix my rear window washers...:(

Evolize
01-30-2008, 12:19 AM
You want $55,000 dollars for a roll over 2005 blazer? Dude are you serious? You would be lucky to even have an offer of $5000 for it.

mikey008
01-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Donate it, and come to me and I'll sell you a new Honda! haha:thumbsup:

Proboscis
well 55000 km I would def be interested. check PM

johnny.r1.lee
LOL!!
i mean KMS!!! 55 000 KMS!!!!!

Proboscis
01-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Was the engine started after the roll over?

dr_jared88
01-30-2008, 12:24 AM
its still under warranty, take it in to get fixed. im sure they can just buff it right out :thumbsup:

2BLUE
01-30-2008, 12:24 AM
I would be interested in buying it...

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 12:25 AM
no did not bother starting the engine after rolling over,
first thing i remember when i was upside down is turning the ignition off and rescuing my woman

2BLUE
01-30-2008, 12:30 AM
pm'd

avow
01-30-2008, 12:34 AM
i am really sorry to hear about your accident and the fact that the vehicle wasnt fully insured :( makes me cry a little on the inside. glad you and your girlfriend/wife are alright... it could have been alot worse :(

RotaryPower
01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I can't really tell, but how're the headlights and grille?

Kloubek
01-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Dude - why on earth would you not have gotten collision on an 05? A car worth 8 grand maybe, but not an 05 blazer....

funkedelic
01-30-2008, 01:11 AM
holy fuck how did you roll it? You are in a pretty fucked up situation, although if you had hit somebody else, not only would you have destroyed your car, you would have to pay for theirs, so i guess it could have been worse right? :dunno:

I would find out what the damages are before you decide what to do with it.

bobby_lu
01-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Evolize
You want $55,000 dollars for a roll over 2005 blazer? Dude are you serious? You would be lucky to even have an offer of $5000 for it.

QF....idiocy

kerry
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I'll pay $10 to hit it with a bat for 10 minutes

Canmorite
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Any injuries? Sorry to hear about that Johnny...

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 11:22 AM
no injuries ......., only bumps and bruises,
i was leaving canmore and doing about a 100, pretty reasonable speed with a lil snow on the ground, there was a car up ahead, he didnt have his brake lights or anything just cruising real slow, and when i got close i realized that he was really crawling, so i start braking, and then braked harder and realized i wasn't going to slow down in time so i swerve and head toward the median, by then im not goin straight anymore and after a few meters into the median the car started rolling, there were 3 other rollovers while we were warming up in the rcmp cruiser.
how can i determine how much a crashed car is worth??

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 11:23 AM
one headlights gone, and grill is f ed as well

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
first 2 grand takes it.

but i'd like to hold onto it till saturday.

Dave P
01-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Rims and Tires Good?

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 11:48 AM
one tire flat

rims appear to be fine

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
please call me at 397 1946
to arrange a meet, the cars parked just out side the house so i can tell you the location if you'd like to take a look in person

tom_9109
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic
holy fuck how did you roll it? You are in a pretty fucked up situation, although if you had hit somebody else, not only would you have destroyed your car, you would have to pay for theirs, so i guess it could have been worse right? :dunno:

I would find out what the damages are before you decide what to do with it.

He wouldn't have to pay for their damages, his insurance would. He said no collision coverage. Not that he didn't have liability insurance.

sullygully
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I rolled my car a couple weeks ago to, and i'm in the same situation. I dont want to pay to get rid of it, so if i can get rid of it for free, thats fine with me. Are there actually charities that will take it, even though its not running?

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Sully, what'd you roll?!

thrasher22
01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
I rolled my car a couple weeks ago to, and i'm in the same situation. I dont want to pay to get rid of it, so if i can get rid of it for free, thats fine with me. Are there actually charities that will take it, even though its not running?

I think most charities would, they just take it to a junkyard for scrap parts/metal.

When I totaled an explorer last winter we got $400 from calgary scrapyard (I forget the name) AND they came and picked it up in canmore (towing would have cost almost that). Call around, no matter what you have someone will probably take it.

JRSC00LUDE
01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not knocking you at all but I have to ask, how many people drive without collision coverage? Constantly boggles my mind when I hear that.

Seem to me it's basically the equivalent of taking 10 Grand (or whatever your car is worth), stuffing it into an envelope, taping it to the roof of your car and hoping it doesn't fall off sometime in the next 12 months. :dunno:

rc2002
01-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I'm not knocking you at all but I have to ask, how many people drive without collision coverage? Constantly boggles my mind when I hear that.

Seem to me it's basically the equivalent of taking 10 Grand (or whatever your car is worth), stuffing it into an envelope, taping it to the roof of your car and hoping it doesn't fall off sometime in the next 12 months. :dunno:

Insurance is a form of gambling.

JRSC00LUDE
01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
^

:rofl:

finboy
01-30-2008, 01:34 PM

while it is pricey, i generally agree with the rule of "if you don't have enough in your bank to replace it, get collision"

luckily my car was $1, so i have no qualms about base line coverage :rofl:

clem24
01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
What's boggling is that judging by Johnny's posts, he doesn't seem too overly concerned... But then it's just a bunch of posts, so I really can't tell. Next time, buy a car and winter tires.. so it won't flip.

But ya, I think collision should be mandatory for cars over say, $5k or 6k. And remember that collision isn't even that expensive. Most of your insurance policy is made up of 3rd party liability. To all those that say buy collision, collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled and can't be fixed (and that rarely happens - most of the time, it's just fender benders). So anything under said amounts, not worth it. But in OPs case, i would have definitely bought it for an 05.

dr_jared88
01-30-2008, 01:58 PM
im sorry but winter tires dont stop your car from flipping. they could of helped him slow down enough to not have to take the ditch maybe, but they dont help one bit in the sense of flipping. if that was the case their wouldnt be roll overs in the summer. its all where the center of gravity of the vehicle is and blazers with their narrower wheel base have a bad wrap for flipping

dimi
01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Are you fucking kidding me?

Johny how did this happen man? Hope you are ok man, and all the best :( I just put winters on my s2k so if you wanna go for a spin, and take your mind off your troubles, holler.

Dimitre

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22

I think most charities would, they just take it to a junkyard for scrap parts/metal.

When I totaled an explorer last winter we got $400 from calgary scrapyard (I forget the name) AND they came and picked it up in canmore (towing would have cost almost that). Call around, no matter what you have someone will probably take it.

kidney foundation will take cars running or not, and will also take rollovers,
but damn it if i knew of what you did i should have done that instead of spending an additional 500$ to get it towed back to my house.

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 02:13 PM

our family does not have any collision insurance on all 4 vehicles and we didn't for the past 11 -12 years. what's wrong with not having collision? some people run their finances differently, and last time i happen to get in an accident we just paid cash to get it fixed, no insurance hassle or increases...

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by clem24
What's boggling is that judging by Johnny's posts, he doesn't seem too overly concerned... But then it's just a bunch of posts, so I really can't tell. Next time, buy a car and winter tires.. so it won't flip.

But ya, I think collision should be mandatory for cars over say, $5k or 6k. And remember that collision isn't even that expensive. Most of your insurance policy is made up of 3rd party liability. To all those that say buy collision, collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled and can't be fixed (and that rarely happens - most of the time, it's just fender benders). So anything under said amounts, not worth it. But in OPs case, i would have definitely bought it for an 05.

you are right, I am not very boggled by this accident, me and my dad almost fell off a cliff on rogers pass couple years ago(btw we drove back to golden and took pictures with smiles happy that we lived), i've gotten into couple motorcycle accidents one being pretty serious, my woman says I got 6 lives left now haha

during the crash i assessed the situation and it was best for me to avoid rear ending the car ahead of me, and thus I pulled to the median and anticipated a rollover. I must say the period right after the car stopped rolling and i got my gf out was pretty intense but i find no need to feel down about the situation or be boggled with what had happend.

shit happens, and you just got to make the best of it, and to me and my family, 15g(about what the car may sell in todays market) is nothing compared to the two lives that were at risk. I called my mom right after the crash, she told me she wasn't even worried. I said to her if the cops/ems were to call you it would have been a different emotion.

tom_9109
01-30-2008, 02:21 PM

For a lot of people collision is way more. my Liability and comprehensive is about 1500 a year. collision on my rsx was another 3700. I don't carry collision on my rsx.

Can you explain further how "collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled"? I really don't understand where the fuck you're comin from with that.

Also about 1 in 4 collision claims are total losses. So can't really call that rarely.

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 02:27 PM
dimi: hows ur s2k?
i miss mine, it really handles like its on rails doesn't it.
i want one but how is it in winter w/o traction control?

JRSC00LUDE
01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by johnny.r1.lee

our family does not have any collision insurance on all 4 vehicles and we didn't for the past 11 -12 years. what's wrong with not having collision? some people run their finances differently......

Well, in my mind getting $500 or $1000 salvage for a $15,000.00 vehicle would be something wrong with not having collision but like I said, not knocking your choices - just curious since you guys have coverage options. Depending on the cost and your driving record, it may be a gamble worth taking for some people I suppose.

Our insurance is different here, everyone's coverage is 100% fully comprehensive, the only thing of any real value you can add on is more liability coverage.

viff3r
01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Shitty to hear Johnny, glad you are OK

2BLUE
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
My blazer i picked up looked very similar to this...

http://www.rolloverlawyer.com/images/blazer_mini.jpg

clem24
01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

For a lot of people collision in way more. my Liability and comprehensive is about 1500 a year. collision on my rsx was another 3700. I don't carry collision on my rsx.

Can you explain further how "collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled"? I really don't understand where the fuck you're comin from with that.

Also about 1 in 4 collision claims are total losses. So can't really call that rarely.

LOL re-read your post man.

First, the actual chances of getting into an accident/collision is LOW. Very low (well for most people anyway - some just seem to have accidents all the time). And you're saying 1/4, that's 25% OF THOSE RARE ACCIDENTS, IF AND WHEN THEY DO OCCUR, are total write offs. So now what do you think?

The policy of my 05 Legacy GT is like less than $1000/year, and of that, I think less than 1/3 is collision. But I am not about to gamble on a $25,000 car. I can't afford to replace it for a few hundred a year... Or be stuck driving the wife's minivan in the winter... :barf:

Johnny, I am glad to hear you are alright and I really envy you having such a laid back family. No such luck here. ;) I have the typical Chinese worry warts. Actually the mother in law is so bad as to actively ensure that I don't travel on the Deerfoot, especially if she's in the car.

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
My blazer i picked up looked very similar to this...

http://www.rolloverlawyer.com/images/blazer_mini.jpg

id say mine has more front end damage, it will DEFINITELY cost more than 5k to fix, :rofl: if it cost under 5k like your asking, id keep it myself and fix it :)

tom_9109
01-30-2008, 06:27 PM

LOL re-read your post man.

First, the actual chances of getting into an accident/collision is LOW. Very low (well for most people anyway - some just seem to have accidents all the time). And you're saying 1/4, that's 25% OF THOSE RARE ACCIDENTS, IF AND WHEN THEY DO OCCUR, are total write offs. So now what do you think?

What do I think now? I think you have no idea what you're talking about. I am a damage appraiser, I am one of the guys that decides if a car is a total loss or not. Out of the last 40 vehicles I have appraised damage on, 15 were write offs. Not all of those claims are collisions either, Some are stolen stereos, vandalism and and hail. More often than not if the car is newer than 2000 its repaired 75% of the time. If its 1995- 1999 Its repaired about 1/5 and if its 1994 or older its almost always a total loss.

I think that what I have to say when it comes to written off/damaged vehicles has alot more weight than your opinion does.

I will give you that for a lot of people such as yourself that collision is a must, I am a firm believer in collision coverage as long as the premiums don't outweigh the benefit. I will be putting collision on my rsx this spring when I start driving it mainly to protect it from hit and runs and to have an insurance company who will go to bat for me when the other guy is at fault.

Also you never did expain "collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled"? Care to address that this time around??

So tell me this, now what do you think?:thumbsup:

dimi
01-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by johnny.r1.lee
dimi: hows ur s2k?
i miss mine, it really handles like its on rails doesn't it.
i want one but how is it in winter w/o traction control?

Its awesome man thanks. With winter tires it handles very well in winter too. I have driven it all week through this bad weather with no block heater, synthetic oil, and it starts every time with no problems. The newer ones I think 05+ come with VSA too, but you really don't need if you are easy with the throttle. Hopefully I'll see you around school man. Take care!

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 08:34 PM
im open to offers, please come take a look and make an offer, im not looking to make money off this thing just want to get a more than a 100$ tax refund from the kidney foundation and would rather see the car go to good use rather than be junked.

RotaryPower
01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't mind possibly coming to take a look over it, are you interested in parting it out at all?

johnny.r1.lee
01-30-2008, 10:07 PM
id rather sell it as a whole, and let u do the parting out part, i dont really have the space to keep it and part it.

2BLUE
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
U have pm ...

Went and looked at the truck...Yep thats over $5k over $10k in damage....frame is tweaked pretty bad...will get back to you soon.

clem24
01-31-2008, 02:33 AM

What do I think now? I think you have no idea what you're talking about. I am a damage appraiser, I am one of the guys that decides if a car is a total loss or not. Out of the last 40 vehicles I have appraised damage on, 15 were write offs. Not all of those claims are collisions either, Some are stolen stereos, vandalism and and hail. More often than not if the car is newer than 2000 its repaired 75% of the time. If its 1995- 1999 Its repaired about 1/5 and if its 1994 or older its almost always a total loss.

I think that what I have to say when it comes to written off/damaged vehicles has alot more weight than your opinion does.

I will give you that for a lot of people such as yourself that collision is a must, I am a firm believer in collision coverage as long as the premiums don't outweigh the benefit. I will be putting collision on my rsx this spring when I start driving it mainly to protect it from hit and runs and to have an insurance company who will go to bat for me when the other guy is at fault.

Also you never did expain "collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled"? Care to address that this time around??

So tell me this, now what do you think?:thumbsup:

I still think the same.. I think you are missing my point... Again, the chances of getting into an accident are slim. That's what the gamble is on. And then the second gamble is on whether or not the car is totalled or not. Or whether damage is even worth claiming, after going through your deductible and considering that your insurance will increase. So yeah. I'll say it again.. Collision isn't mandatory on car insurance. Not sure what you don't understand here. That's a fact. You're gambling on whether you will 1.) crash *and* it's your fault, and 2.) and whether damage is going to be high enough to actually warrant going through insurance *and* the cost to repair/replace is more than what you've actually shelled out for collision since day 1.

That's great that you're an appraiser, but I think you're missing the point on buying collision insurance vs. not buying it.

Anyways, we both have the same position on buying collision on our cars, so I'll leave it at that. But for a car less $5k, I would never buy collision.

tom_9109
01-31-2008, 11:47 AM

I still think the same.. I think you are missing my point... Again, the chances of getting into an accident are slim. That's what the gamble is on. And then the second gamble is on whether or not the car is totalled or not. Or whether damage is even worth claiming, after going through your deductible and considering that your insurance will increase. So yeah. I'll say it again.. Collision isn't mandatory on car insurance. Not sure what you don't understand here. That's a fact. You're gambling on whether you will 1.) crash *and* it's your fault, and 2.) and whether damage is going to be high enough to actually warrant going through insurance *and* the cost to repair/replace is more than what you've actually shelled out for collision since day 1.

That's great that you're an appraiser, but I think you're missing the point on buying collision insurance vs. not buying it.

Anyways, we both have the same position on buying collision on our cars, so I'll leave it at that. But for a car less $5k, I would never buy collision.

Lets sum up your points from all you posts:
1. collision should be mandatory for cars over say, $5k or 6
2. collision isn't that expensive
3. collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled and can't be fixed
[b]4. total losses rarely happen, its usually just a "fender bender"
5. chances of getting into a collision are very low.

I think you need to realize you pretty much have tunnel vision when it comes to your opinions.

1/2 For a lot of people, especially beyond members, collisions premiums may outweigh the risk of loss, because collision can be expensive.
4 Total losses happen pretty commonly.
5 The chances of being in a collision are fairly high. In 2006 there were 34,190 collision reported to police. thats 3,447 per 100,000 population. In most of these cases there are 2 vehicles involved in a collision which means about 7% of the calgary population was involved in an accident in 2006. Not exactly a low chance.

Now for real please explain "collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled and can't be fixed" I don't know too many people who can pull 10g out of their pocket to fix their car after an accident, Please tell me why collision only really applies to total losses.

You really

clem24
01-31-2008, 12:32 PM

Lets sum up your points from all you posts:
1. collision should be mandatory for cars over say, $5k or 6
2. collision isn't that expensive
3. collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled and can't be fixed
[b]4. total losses rarely happen, its usually just a "fender bender"
5. chances of getting into a collision are very low.

I think you need to realize you pretty much have tunnel vision when it comes to your opinions.

1/2 For a lot of people, especially beyond members, collisions premiums may outweigh the risk of loss, because collision can be expensive.
4 Total losses happen pretty commonly.
5 The chances of being in a collision are fairly high. In 2006 there were 34,190 collision reported to police. thats 3,447 per 100,000 population. In most of these cases there are 2 vehicles involved in a collision which means about 7% of the calgary population was involved in an accident in 2006. Not exactly a low chance.

Now for real please explain "collision isn't really that mandatory unless your car is totalled and can't be fixed" I don't know too many people who can pull 10g out of their pocket to fix their car after an accident, Please tell me why collision only really applies to total losses.

You really

LOL dude... You really need to chill out. Obviously OP didn't buy collision and he's fine with it.. Read the thread. 7% chance is really low man. That's 7/100... So do the math and decide if it's right for you. I don't think I am the one with tunnel vision here.. I am giving both sides while you're saying there's only 1 option: buy collision. Anyway, this is my last post on this topic.

sullygully
01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
I wish i had collision on my car. I didn't realize how much i liked the bimmer, until i wrecked it. I only payed 2000 for it 3 years ago, and if I had been paying for full coverage, I would have already exceeded the purchase price for the car. So generally, If I had the car for a few more years, It wouldn't have been worth it. But now that I got into a "at fault" accident without collision coverage, I now can't afford another car like my last.

I was arrogant, thinking that if i where to get in an accident, it wouldn't be my fault because I thought I was a good driver. So its been a humbling experience for me.

So basically, if you can afford to make full coverage payments, and you love your car, then do it. Cuz we aren't all as good of drivers as we think we are.

bobby_lu
01-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
Cuz we aren't all as good of drivers as we think we are.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Some well spoken words.

tom_9109
01-31-2008, 12:51 PM

LOL dude... You really need to chill out. Obviously OP didn't buy collision and he's fine with it.. Read the thread. 7% chance is really low man. That's 7/100... So do the math and decide if it's right for you. I don't think I am the one with tunnel vision here.. I am giving both sides while you're saying there's only 1 option: buy collision. Anyway, this is my last post on this topic.

I'm glad you're not posting in here again. I never once advocated everyone should buy collision. Read my posts, I clearly state some people should and some people shouldn't. Thanks for pointing out 7% is 7/100. I never would have figured that out. As for the OP I understand where he is coming from and am helping him determine what his salvage is worth. And i definitely wouldn't say you're giving both sides. I'd say more like you're contradicting yourself.

johnny.r1.lee
01-31-2008, 11:15 PM
tom, really thanks very much for you info,
it helps alot, i will take your advice and call around next week.
its always good to have insider info.