PDA

View Full Version : New to bikes

403Gemini
01-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, im certain this topic has been brought up probably 50 times before, and i could use the search function ... but lets face it, im lazy as fuck ;)

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on schools to learn how to ride a bike - websites, etc.

Also what wouuld be a great starter bike? Im thinkin of picking one up this year , and i dont want anything retarded fast.

Thanks in advance guys!

The Cosworth
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com

(went through here and am in the class of 2004)

IMHO do not get a 4cyl 600 as your first bike. They are fucking fast as it is. The ninja 650R is what I am thinking of getting my old lady as a first bike. It will be too big for her at first but she could most likely ride the thing for life. As for you, you could ride it for a year or two and then upgrade

I would suggest either a used F4I (although it is a 4 cyl 600, it isn't as fast as the new ones) or the new 650R or GS500F

Do not get a CBR125, they are cool little bikes but with us having deerfoot, crowchild, etc it just isn't enough bike to really get going.

PM me if want to know anything else.

My bike history was

XL185 Honda enduro (185 1Cyl 4 stroke)
Honda F4 (600 4 cyl Carb)
Honda Firestorm (1000 Vtwin)

403Gemini
01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Greatly appreciated thanks Brendan.

Yeah i want to get 2 or so years before i go for a faster bike, just to get comfortable with everything :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
The other thing to is a cruiser. If you get the right one they are pretty fun to ride.

When I ride my Firestrom out to Canmore with a buddy down 1A, when I get to Petro in Canmore I look like I just came out of jail after being someone's bitch.

I borrow the father in laws 1600 kawi cruiser and we can make it to Vernon/Kelowna in one trip just stopping to fill up. It really depends what you want, where you have to store it, etc

GL, you wont regret getting a bike

drtoohotty1
01-30-2008, 03:06 PM
brendan just a quick question what are the big + an - for the F4 and F4i? other then the fact that one is carb. and the other is fuel inj.

The Cosworth
01-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
brendan just a quick question what are the big + an - for the F4 and F4i? other then the fact that one is carb. and the other is fuel inj.

I have never actually ridden a F4i, but from the impression I got from my buddy who had the F4i when I had my f4 it seems the F4i's are much quicker and more 'precise or twitchy' (depending on how you look at it). Fuel Injection on any bike is nice because you don't have to tune them (from what I understand) unlike a carb and they start a hell of a lot nicer in the cold.

I rode an R6 and THAT was twitchy... scary honestly, the throttle doesn't have a nice gradual buildup to anything IMO, it seems either on or off.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I think they are pretty close to one another, I think the large departure happened when the emphasis went from F4I to 600RR

I think no matter what I will always ride a honda, only reason to get the Kawi 650R is that it is such a unique bike, if Honda came out with one I would probably get that

403Gemini
01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
The other thing to is a cruiser. If you get the right one they are pretty fun to ride.

When I ride my Firestrom out to Canmore with a buddy down 1A, when I get to Petro in Canmore I look like I just came out of jail after being someone's bitch.

I borrow the father in laws 1600 kawi cruiser and we can make it to Vernon/Kelowna in one trip just stopping to fill up. It really depends what you want, where you have to store it, etc

GL, you wont regret getting a bike

Was lookin at the ninja 650, says its like 649 cc's.... thats not too much to start is it? lol

honestly im just looking for something cheap on gas to drive during the summer time.

Also it'd be stored in a heated garage :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
01-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Was lookin at the ninja 650, says its like 649 cc's.... thats not too much to start is it? lol

honestly im just looking for something cheap on gas to drive during the summer time.

Also it'd be stored in a heated garage :thumbsup:

yes it is 649 but it is a parallel twin (IIRC) so the power output overall is much more forgiving and has more torque so easier to ride in the city.

403Gemini
01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
all ive driven is a standard car since i was 17 (24 now, 25 this year) but never touched a bike - easy to get used to the clutch on a bike coming from a car?

edit: im totally gonna be one of those sissys who drives the speed limit and not 1 km faster for like a year on my bike lol

The Cosworth
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
all ive driven is a standard car since i was 17 (24 now, 25 this year) but never touched a bike - easy to get used to the clutch on a bike coming from a car?

edit: im totally gonna be one of those sissys who drives the speed limit and not 1 km faster for like a year on my bike lol

Good, the guys I ride with don't ride with squids ("Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous") There is no use going over the limit in traffic, now yes on QEII up towards ardrie if it is a slower day in traffic I like to mash the gas to pass, but I slow right back down and fall in. I don't fly by people because all it takes is one guy to pull out, and it doesn't matter that he was wrong, you are now dead. Also I always wear helmet, gloves, back protector, and jacket. I don't care how hot it is, I like my body in the shape I have it. 95% of the time I wear boots, and I must admit I am bad but don't wear my pants unless it is cold or I am going to a track. I have NEVER crashed on the road (I crashed my enduro once on a dirt road when I first got it) Crashing hurts and I don't want to find out what it will do.

We rode with one guy who pulled wheelies all the time, cut in and out of traffic, etc. He ended up with two broken legs when he hit the curb at about a buck sixty. Couldn't walk for almost a year, and still has a hard time sitting up for long periods of time.

I took my bike to a track day to years ago BGPR (http://www.bgprschools.com/) and I got my 1000 up to about 250/280 in the front stretch at RC there. That was good cause all your worried about is not falling off. There are no curbs, cars, or people going the other way to worry about. You know the guys behind you are watching you and not gonna hit you. It was pretty liberating to be on the track and not be worrying. The head guy (brad) took me out on his Gixxer 1000 and pulled a wheelie down the front with me on the back, it was pretty nuts. That guy can fucking ride.

As for the clutch, I learned to drive stick at 15 and had almost no problem learning the bike, it is a little wierd your first 10 or so times, but they work the same and you have SOO much more control when your using you hand they you do your foot. I think you'll be fine.

Can you tell I am trying to avoid work at all costs?

drtoohotty1
01-30-2008, 03:31 PM
ya work sucks, im also singed up for motorcycle classes this spring through toocool and have heard nothing but good things from them

403Gemini
01-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Can you tell im trying to avoid work? ;)

Im looking forward to it, also it always seems like the bike community seems to be a lot more together, and the "squids" seems to be the "ricers" of the car world - the outcasts :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the warmer months for sure now

Kobe
01-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Too cool is already booked to late march / early may.. sign up quick!

Stay away from shell, when you get a bike.. dont wear full leathers in +30 weather

I started with an R6, no accidents, put around 14,000KM on it now....

I dropped it once, little marks

It might be for sale after winter, if you are interested :)

403Gemini
01-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Keep me posted Kobe :D

Stupid question, how do you exactally get your class 6 liscence? Written test? Drive a course? (Again sorry for my ignorance, id google this but i dont have time as im alt + tabbing between screens at work lol)

GOnSHO
01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
i cant wait to go for my bike license and the riders course!! ive wanted a bike for a long time and have been reading up for a while now

The Cosworth
01-30-2008, 03:59 PM

Stupid question, how do you exactally get your class 6 liscence? Written test? Drive a course? (Again sorry for my ignorance, id google this but i dont have time as im alt + tabbing between screens at work lol)

it is your written test like a learners at a registry.

Probably 60% the same as the learners test, and some are about how to ride on rough surfaces, transition surfaces etc.

Ok I think I need to go back to work now and make the money to support my habits

Neons4life
01-30-2008, 04:00 PM
it's easy to get on a bike and go, especially if you start off on one of the training schools as they go nice and slow. They will teach you the BASICS and nothing more...you need real world riding time and even track experience to know what the bike can truely handle.

Now my first bike was a 2002 gsxr 600...I ended up crashing that bike 3 times over 2 years...

1- rode 3 months, going too fast around a corner, ran wide, hit the curb, slid on left side, ended up in hospital with road rash and head injury...funny thing is I got right back on the bike and rode it home
2- since bike was rashed I started to do stunts, doing high chair stoppie and crashed again, I was fine as I was going slow, bikes stator cover broke spewing oil all over
3-decided to track the bike, had race tires on for street use, didn't warm them up, block from home I high sided, wrote it off

Now even through all this I still recommend a 600 but no more.

my list of bikes:
2002 gsxr 600
2003 Yamaha R6
2004 gsxr 750
2007 gsxr 600
2007 gsxr 1000

R32TypeM
01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I started on a 88 cbr 600 F1... great learner bike..... had cbr900rr, R1 and I now ride an R6... the cbr's were far more forgiving and comfortable. the R6 is soo twitchy but i love it.

GOnSHO
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
im looking at a 2005 R6

SJW
01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I started on a GSXR 750. I've previously ridden dirtbikes though. Its all how you ride. Sometimes I get outta hand but usually not in the city. Any bike will kill you so my suggestion is buy something thats not going to suck after a year of you getting used to it. Or, you could buy a used junker to get used to then upgrade. No sense in buying something that you'll sell after a few months.

Take care, good luck and have fun.

Kobe
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Stupid question, how do you exactally get your class 6 liscence? Written test? Drive a course? (Again sorry for my ignorance, id Google this but i don't have time as im alt + tabbing between screens at work lol)
Yup go to the registries and get the motorcycle booklet, i think the test is like $15-20 bucks, and it asks questions from the motorcycle booklet and the regular driving booklet...

When you have your class your learners (Written test) finished, you are allowed to operate a motorcycle with someone with a valid class 6 license on a different bike behind you....

However I do recommend the test, co-worker is going with Calgary safety council and is paying around $500 this month, and if u register next month i think the price jumped $50

When do you take a course, you get to the the class 6 license in a parking lot, and it is the same 8 moves you have been practicing for like 16 hours :)

So the parking lot test is alot easier..

If you do not take the course, the marker follows behind you in a car on the road, to see how you ride, and if you are doing anything wrong...

GOnSHO
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
im booking into that toocool motorcycle school for june or so...

im STOKED!

Splooge
01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
i've got an F4, haven't ridden it yet, but i think i might need to lower it, i'm pretty short 5'5. the guys at calgary motorsports told me to get a dog bone (forgot exactly what it was called).

is this a good idea?

Graham_A_M
01-30-2008, 05:19 PM
403Gemini, I used to be a motorcycle instructor a number of years ago for one summer, I can teach you the fundamentals of safe riding & how to handle a bike if you'd like. :dunno:
I've been riding bikes for 19 years (since I was 6), so I have a pretty good grasp on how to teach people proper techniques and so forth... its your call though. I really dont care about the money aspect of it, just to know that riders will be safe on the road. Thats "payment" enough for me everytime.

You honestly dont have to wait a whole mind-numbing two years before you get a bigger bike. Honestly, take your Ninja 650R to Bud park raceway in Edmonton this upcoming season (as Racecity leaves a lot to be desired), or if you want check out www.amra.ca Its mini-roadracing. With $1500 you can get yourself a little Honda XR100 motard to whip around Calgary's go cart track.
Either way, both are great ways to test out your bike and learn advanced riding skills, in a closed environment. On these mini bikes in Calgary, racing is a blast, and when you bail, its at 20-60kph so it really doesn't hurt. Broken bones are incredibly rare.

^ Both these options will teach your HOARDS about being a good sportbike rider, and will do remarkible things to your confidence.
My best friend has an '06 R6, and has been riding for exactly a year, already he's one of the fastest (class A) track day riders at Race City. He's just stupidly fast on a bike, as it comes down to the willingness to learn. Hes also just as comfortable on one as I am, which is crazy... for what is essentially considered a "squid"
:clap:

EDIT: The both of us will be picking up a couple of those mid 90's Yamaha TZ125's, and throwing in Yamaha YZ85 dirtbike engines in them so we can racethem at the cart track here in Calgary.

Thats how you learn to be "fast" by learning the fundamentals of cornering, corner speed, over-taking and so on. Its best to do this on a smaller bike, and eventually move up to a higher displacement one, as any stupid crashes that can and will happen, are best done at low speeds with a not-so-expensive bike, then our new sportbikes.

Besides, the track-days we've attended are fucking expensive at the Race city track. $150-200 for the day/evening, another $150 or so in tires, plus gas.... it adds up over a few track days a month. :nut: Dont even get me started if you bin your bike.... then its a REALLY expensive track day :rofl:

With the cart-track, a full race day will cost around $75 in track-time including tires & other expenses, even less (MUCH less) on a XR150/100 or whatever. Plus you dont have to worry about crashing your daily driver bike. Which is a HUGE worry for me at Race city with my '07 Triumph Daytona 675. (I honestly think I'd cry like a baby if I ever dumped it).:thumbsdow

GOnSHO
01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
that sounds awesome!

403Gemini
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks Graham! Man now i wanna get a bike really bad haha

edit: again forgive my ignorance... the 650r or r6 able to have a passenger on it as well? it doesnt look like theres too much room / spot to put their feet/hold onto

SJW
01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Ride like no one can see you.

Graham_A_M
01-30-2008, 07:45 PM
^ I highly wouldn't recommend it. If you've ever sat on the back of a sportbike, its fucking terrifying. I've never been so scared in a LONG time. (went to go pick up my bike new at Blackfoot, so I sat on the back of his R6).
Its *terrifying*. not recommended at all. If you want a good starter bike and carrying passengers is a thing you'd eventually want to do, then I browsed over this awesome deal on a newer ('04) Yamaha V-star as per the facebook classifieds. (just so you know)

$3,500 - motorbike yamaha
Listed by Pfanner Priska on January 30th.
For Sale - Cars | 30 views | Report
Condition: used

V star classic Yamaha with only 2700kms, 04

i am moving i need to sell my bike before end of february
3500.- or boListed at Calgary, AB.

here is the sellers profile
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=674970515

^ Thats a *smokin'* deal man. Great starter bike too.

Sportbikes are not meant for passengers, their just not. You can do it if you really want to, but being 2" from sliding off the back of the bike onto the fast moving asphalt isn't too cool of a proposition to me.:nut:

Especially with everybump that you hit, the rock hard suspension will transfer that right to the seat, and if the passenger isn't holding on for dear life...bad things can happen:thumbsdow

ricefarmer
01-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Graham! Man now i wanna get a bike really bad haha

edit: again forgive my ignorance... the 650r or r6 able to have a passenger on it as well? it doesnt look like theres too much room / spot to put their feet/hold onto

actually a 650R would be a great passenger bike it's a pretty standard stance. the 650 is commparable to what I ride now (SV650S) which in my mind is one of if not the best street bikes you can buy and I've riden the high horse power machines and owned the repli racer inline 4's. I do a lot of passenger riding with this bike and it's great, for a sport bike there is loads of room for the passenger. My buddy also did a lot of passenger riding with his girlfriend on his 600RR and she never complained. For the passenger it's all about how safe they feel with you drving, some bitches will never loosen up while sometimes I think my gf doesn't have enough fear.

I would look at getting a middle class "stree bike" to start. btw an R6 is not a good street bike, although they are fun. I'm partial to twins just because I think thats the way a bike should sound. Plus I like the naked stuff much more of an urban and street look.

ricefarmer
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
here's a picture of my bike... I'll get some new ones with the new exhaust on.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/sneakyotto/PICT0015.jpg

here's a picture of my brothers old bike, which he learned to ride on at 16. It's an F4 btw which I think has far too much power to learn on.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/sneakyotto/DSC00144.jpg

SikAssR1
01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Too cool is already booked to late march / early may.. sign up quick!

Stay away from shell, when you get a bike.. dont wear full leathers in +30 weather

I started with an R6, no accidents, put around 14,000KM on it now....

I dropped it once, little marks

It might be for sale after winter, if you are interested :)

LOL
"Shells Angels"

Spoons
01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't suggest starting with a new 600, they are bloody fast as is. My first bike was a Suzuki GS500F. You get the look and feel of a sport bike, just not the ridiculous power. I took it on deerfoot etc. lots of times and it can keep up with everything.

Beside you grow bigger balls on a bike (in a good way, not a punk ass show off way :D)

93accord
02-02-2008, 08:00 PM
hey guys i'm pretty determined to get a bike this summer as well. considering i've never ridden a bike before i was thinking about getting a ninja 250 as a starter bike. i do plan to move to a 600 after but has anyone had any experience wit a 250 at all? the goods and the bads? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Kobe
02-03-2008, 05:11 AM
250s u will get bored off in a week...
Honestly start on a 500...
i even recommend a 600, if u a bigger guy thats mature
:)
TTYL

Spoons
02-03-2008, 02:30 PM
TTYL

:werd: Yeah if you a bigger guy, 600. I'm maybe 160 pounds so I am pretty light... so I started on a 500. I don't own a bike anymore, but I ride my cousins 600 all the time, and that bike is good enough for me for a long time.

93accord
02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
TTYL

i'm mature enough to own a bike, but "bigger guy" is the problem. i only weigh about 130 pounds. i'm very much into an R6 myself but i'm not sure if i'll be able to handle it?:dunno: 500 sounds ideal too.

Kobe
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 93accord

i'm mature enough to own a bike, but "bigger guy" is the problem. i only weigh about 130 pounds. i'm very much into an R6 myself but i'm not sure if i'll be able to handle it?:dunno: 500 sounds ideal too.
how tall are you? If your only 130, you might have a problem of even touching the ground on a 600...

Prob good to be 5'8 atleast, or you might run into problems...

93accord
02-06-2008, 01:25 AM
i'm about 5 9, 5 10 i've sat on a 600 b4 but height was never the problem. i'm jus worried the bike mite be too heavy for me to handle. has anyone experience this at all? i can get a 600 to stand but i've never ridden one since i only have a class 6 learners and no one to ride with.

Kavy
02-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Personally i think 130 is not enough weight for a high powered 600 as the kick out the corners would be scary as hell.

I know as I drank more beers and put on more weight my bike got easier to handle (gsxr750) and i have been riding since i was 8.

I started off on a F3 when I was 16 and it was way to much bike for me and I put it down several times (im far from a bad rider just was a stupid buyer).

sasukekun
02-06-2008, 02:05 AM
A current instructor friend of mine told me the Class 6 tests this year include both the on-lot skills test and a road test. Just an FYI for those taking the test this year.

My first bike was Ninja 500. It was a good bike to learn on, definitely not too much power, and definitely more than enough power to leave most cars in the dust. As others have said, a newer 600 will be too much bike. Especially after getting use to the 250's you'll be on in a bike course.

I did about ~4000km of biking in my first two months of riding, at which point I was done with my 500. A lot of those KMs were on 1450cc Harleys, which is really what killed my interest in the 500. If you don't have a desire to "accelerate extremely quickly to the speed limit" a 500/600 could do you over your entire career. Lots of people never grow tired of them.

BrknFngrs
03-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by sasukekun
A current instructor friend of mine told me the Class 6 tests this year include both the on-lot skills test and a road test. Just an FYI for those taking the test this year.

This is false.

On a side note; if anyone is looking for a place that rents out a bike and does the road test try "Certified Driver Testing". It's a little pricey but overall the experience with them was pretty solid.

UndrgroundRider
03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

This is false.

On a side note; if anyone is looking for a place that rents out a bike and does the road test try "Certified Driver Testing". It's a little pricey but overall the experience with them was pretty solid.

I have also heard from an examiner that the test will include lot and road tests this year. Could have been just speculation, but strange coming from two different people.

Are you sure it's business as usual?