urban.one
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Edit:

Condo parkade got flooded.

Car is likely total loss.

Have insurance info from condo corp.

300zxfairlday
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
if water actually got into the car, The smell will Most likely never go away!

Im sure you have to actally do the police report in person

tom_9109
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
If your car was in 2+ feet of water, insist the insurance company write it off.
- You probably won't get the condo to pay the deductible.

- You shouldn't need a police report for flood damage. Police deal with crimes and collisions, flood is just like hail damage, don't need a police report.

- 2+ feet of water is really bad for a car, its a write off. you don't want to risk the headaches that are associated with a flood car.

Which insurance company are you with??

JRSC00LUDE
01-31-2008, 10:46 AM
I had a car that hit the ditch and filled with water right up to the tops of the doors. Interior was completely dismantled and dried out and put back together (engine was fine) and car was driven for two more years until I sold it. That car is still driving trouble free today (still get's serviced at dad's shop) over 10 years later.

But, if they will write it off then by all means take it.

tom_9109
01-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I had a car that hit the ditch and filled with water right up to the tops of the doors. Interior was completely dismantled and dried out and put back together (engine was fine) and car was driven for two more years until I sold it. That car is still driving trouble free today (still get's serviced at dad's shop) over 10 years later.

But, if they will write it off then by all means take it.

In alberta most insurance companies have a guideline that if the water level reaches the bottom of the dash that the salvage is to be branded 'non-repair' which means you can't dry it out and put it back on the road. Gotta love your SGI eh??

Tik-Tok
01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Doesn't the condo insurance pay for this? Not your auto?

tom_9109
01-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Doesn't the condo insurance pay for this? Not your auto?

Nope, goes under auto. Just like if your house burns down and takes cars with it.

JRSC00LUDE
01-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109

In alberta most insurance companies have a guideline that if the water level reaches the bottom of the dash that the salvage is to be branded 'non-repair' which means you can't dry it out and put it back on the road. Gotta love your SGI eh??

No shit hey? Personally I would much rather have a write-off in that kind of situation. You never know what's going to happen with the wiring after it has been soaked that is for sure.

vietdood
01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

Nope, goes under auto. Just like if your house burns down and takes cars with it.

yup, hence why people put fire and theft insurance on their cars when they store it for winter.

if the car isn't written off and repaired (drying it out or whatever they do), i think that carproof report flood damage which will deter alot of people when selling.

tom_9109
01-31-2008, 06:40 PM
If on the off chance they don't write it off, then there would be no record of flood damage. By all rights though the car should be a write off. I've seen a porsche gt3 with water up to the dash. Everything looked ok and ran but the went to salvage.
Its not worth the risk for the insurance company being held responsible for every problem the car ever has.

1-Bar
01-31-2008, 06:54 PM
I wrote off my integra during the June floods of 07. Water in the car messes with all electrical and can be a fire hazard if allowed to be repaired and driven.....they are assigned a non-insurable status (as mentioned above) and are a parts only car.