PDA

View Full Version : Let the layoff begins

KLCC
02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
:eek:

"He said he was told Dell is shutting down, in part, because it's having trouble attracting and keeping staff in Edmonton's tight labour market."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/01/31/delledmonton.html

Thaco
02-01-2008, 01:26 PM
it's no big loss, their customer service was/is the shits anyways.

adam c
02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
great.. more edmontonians moving to calgary soon

01RedDX
02-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Dave P
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Its a pretty pimp building to. Surpising none the less

finboy
02-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by adam c
great.. more edmontonians moving to calgary soon

FUCK!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Apparently it was for Dell US only. Dell Canada never really spoke to Edmonton/Ottawa because of the complaints from the US about talking to India. There's a lot of support internally from Dell to the Edmonton workers. IIRC they are also getting severance packages. Not sure how good that'll be.

Graham_A_M
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Dell = Garbage, I'll never own another one. At least these "layoffs" will help fill the labour shortage all over Alberta to a degree at least :dunno:

Audio_Rookie
02-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Ya I heard about this yesterday. Our company just did all the plumbing for their entire new building....and it was engineered to be nearly indestructable. It was an expensive fucking building....

And now there not gonna use it.

Thaco
02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
Ya I heard about this yesterday. Our company just did all the plumbing for their entire new building....and it was engineered to be nearly indestructable. It was an expensive fucking building....

And now there not gonna use it.

word is they also signed a 20 year lease.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Dell = Garbage, I'll never own another one. At least these "layoffs" will help fill the labour shortage all over Alberta to a degree at least :dunno:

It's hit or miss IMO

Some people never have a problem for 5-6 years, others have problems out of the box.

Same with customer support. You can end up with the nicest person ever, or you could end up with someone who spends an hour on the phone determining your laptop is indeed broken.

I would buy their laptops, but not desktops.

badatusrnames
02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
so much for diversifying the economy :rolleyes:

We've got a case of the Dutch Disease. The Brits got a mild case of it in the 80's too. Credit the Norwegians for avoiding it, but only by not touching their oil money.

icecreamvan
02-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

word is they also signed a 20 year lease.

I recall it was something like $1/yr.
Bastards.

Eleanor
02-01-2008, 09:15 PM

I've only had great customer service from them :dunno:

Thaco
02-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

Bastards.

yeah, and the first 5 years was tax free, which saved them $11 million

Thaco
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

Bastards.

every time i called to cancel an order, (before it shipped) it was never canceled, i had to refuse the delivery, and wait 3 weeks for my refund.

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I switched over to mac because of dell.

97'Scort
02-02-2008, 12:20 AM
We're so tight on office space here, and the dell office is in a prime location. It'll sell quick.

The only thing about my computer that still says Dell on it is the logo on the tower. I've replaced everything else over the last few years...

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-02-2008, 03:23 AM

If I have a customer come in and get mad at me I'll be short and abrupt. I'll only go the extra mile for people who treat me with respect

Merkur
02-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Its a big loss to the 900 people who are now jobless! Stop and think about it before you say shit like "its no big loss"

modded46
02-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Merkur
Its a big loss to the 900 people who are now jobless! Stop and think about it before you say shit like "its no big loss"

Well maybe if they did their job properly and treated customers with respect, they wouldn't be out of a job?? :nut:

After 12+ years in the IT Industry my experience is that Dell support is by far the worst of any of the major computer manufacturers. I had one momo once come out to replace a motherboard 3 times in a laptop before he figured out that he was bringing the wrong part number for the model we had.

You want a model for customer support out of a computer company give Iron Port, Juniper, Secure Computing or IBM a call. People are actually.. OH I don't know?? trained?

:banghead:

modded46
02-02-2008, 10:47 AM
And shouldn't the title of this thread be "let the layoffs begin"?

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by modded46

Well maybe if they did their job properly and treated customers with respect, they wouldn't be out of a job?? :nut:

After 12+ years in the IT Industry my experience is that Dell support is by far the worst of any of the major computer manufacturers. I had one momo once come out to replace a motherboard 3 times in a laptop before he figured out that he was bringing the wrong part number for the model we had.

You want a model for customer support out of a computer company give Iron Port, Juniper, Secure Computing or IBM a call. People are actually.. OH I don't know?? trained?

:banghead:

I'm sorry but after working for both IBM and Dell that statement is 100% bullshit.

IBM contracts out most of it's techs from temp agencies, and Dell contracts out to local companies (in Calgary it's Tech Squad) for local tech support

As for treating people with respect, read WTF I wrote, and you'd see that Dell Canada call centres ONLY RECEIVE US CALLS due to the LARGE amount of complaints from the US about India...

97'Scort
02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
^ It's true. Comcast also has its tech support in Edmonton and Calgary.

lint
02-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

If I have a customer come in and get mad at me I'll be short and abrupt. I'll only go the extra mile for people who treat me with respect

That's not customer service, that's a pissing match with someone who's business pays your wages. The customer may very well have a legit reason for being pissed, and your attitude would only make things worse.

Audio_Rookie
02-03-2008, 01:25 AM
You can say that sure.....

But one you have worked the job for 2+ years like I did (convergys...dealing with dumbass Americans).

The difference is, if they were pissed off at the company, I would be ok with it. Hell I would tell them how shitty it is, I am an intelligent guy and know the system inside and out. If he understands that and respects me and not the company, I am all for it. The company usually does have stupid rules and restrictions.

I was quick to tell people there options, lay em out straight and no BS....if they didn't like that then I cant really blame them. If they didn't like me because I gave them every option including loop holes and billing secrets we are not even supposed to know...then fuck him I went above and beyond.

I gave out alot of misc credit adjustments to cool people ont he phone that understood what was going on. I also gave out alot of misc additional fees to fuck heads that should be shot, but.....no one is supposed to know about that part.

I kinda miss that job just because of the power I held...and some of the crazy people I talked to. I eventually figured out how to give out credit in the thousands/tens of thousands of dollars. I learned the system inside and out got away with alot of stuff that was morally fine with me, but if my boss would have found out lol.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by lint

That's not customer service, that's a pissing match with someone who's business pays your wages. The customer may very well have a legit reason for being pissed, and your attitude would only make things worse.

most people will treat me like shit because I'm 20 and selling computers in a mall. if they have that kind of attitude why should I respect them. if they treat me like a human I'll go the extra mile for them

97'Scort
02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I used to work retail too. I'd say 90% of the people I got were good people, asked the right questions and had respect. The other 10% are the ones you remember more of, unfortunately.

modded46
02-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

I'm sorry but after working for both IBM and Dell that statement is 100% bullshit.

IBM contracts out most of it's techs from temp agencies, and Dell contracts out to local companies (in Calgary it's Tech Squad) for local tech support

As for treating people with respect, read WTF I wrote, and you'd see that Dell Canada call centres ONLY RECEIVE US CALLS due to the LARGE amount of complaints from the US about India...

So obviously the Canadian call centre didn't do much better than India huh? haha :bigpimp:

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-03-2008, 04:04 PM
The reason the Canadian call center was shut down was due to the dollar.

There's no point having American tech support in Canada when it's the same cost to now keep it in the states. They probably had complaints about Canadians stealing their jobs for the same cost. It no longer saves them any money to outsource the tech support to Canada.

Had the American dollar outstripped the Canadian dollar, then I'm sure the call centers would've stayed open.

And they won't keep it for Canadian users because it's far cheaper to just outsource OUR call centers to India. If everyone in Canada complained about India, I'm sure they would reopen a call center in Canada.