PDA

View Full Version : Dolorian??

catywampusness
07-29-2003, 09:43 AM
So the dolorian is kinda outdated and didn't really hit it too big when it was around, however, it might make an interesting project to get one really fast. Any ideas on the topic? Love or hate Dolorians? Where would one find one? It would be something I've never seen done before.:)

roopi
07-29-2003, 09:48 AM
do you mean the Delorian DMS-12? The car from back to the future? I remember seeing one at future shop on mcleod trail all the time.

James
07-29-2003, 09:49 AM
THEY ARE HEAVY SONS'UVBITCHS! :tongue:.....would probably take alot to get fast, kinda fugly, but semi-rare i guess, not sure on production #'s, if u could find one for cheap, would be kinda cool to have.

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Theyre heavy as hell so a large displacement engine would probably be best suited for the car. The problem is the car handles like crap and the brakes are garbage. Theyre a collectors car now, not a weekend warriors straighline racer so they go for a larger amount of money. Keep that car stock and look elsewhere for a project drag car

catywampusness
07-29-2003, 09:51 AM
I've never actually seen one in person... I live in the middle of the US.
Yeah they are kinda heavy, but the idea intrigues me nonetheless

atomic
07-29-2003, 10:29 AM
a friend has one in with a t3/t4 . rebuilt, port, titanium everything, etc .. he's running a lot of boost but the engine is built for it . it's pretty quick for a brick . he's got the money to do it, it'll never be a fast car . they're stainless steal :P

xkon
07-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by roopi
do you mean the Delorian DMS-12? The car from back to the future? I remember seeing one at future shop on mcleod trail all the time.

i saw that one too... the guy was an install tech there... i love delorians!!!

T5_X
07-29-2003, 11:12 AM
MYTH: The DeLorean is heavy.

The DMC-12 has a curb weight od 2750 lbs, which is lighter than an S2000. The ss body panels don't weigh any more than normal steel body panels on any other car.

The DMC-12 is a very underrated machine, no it's not up the the standards of the porsche 911s of the day (its target competition) but it has its redeeming qualities. Dr. Evil here owns a DMC-12, if he chimes in here he can dispell some of the myths on the horrible performance of the DMC-12.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-29-2003, 11:45 AM
defintely unique, but i heard SS attracts dust like a mother, so its very hard to stay clean

xkon
07-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
defintely unique, but i heard SS attracts dust like a mother, so its very hard to stay clean

on the other hand, if someone keys your car pull out the SOS pad and buff it away!!

catywampusness
07-29-2003, 11:52 AM
lol, nice... I'd have to stock up on SOS pads just in case I got a scratch

AquamosH
07-29-2003, 12:00 PM
I always wondered how you'd be able to get out of a delorean when people park right beside you, considering the way the doors open :D

4wheeldrift
07-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by AquamosH
I always wondered how you'd be able to get out of a delorean when people park right beside you, considering the way the doors open :D The doors actually only require 14" of clearance to get them open, should be no problem in a normal parking space as long as you aren't parked doorhandle to doorhandle with the car next to you.

Dr. Evil
07-29-2003, 02:58 PM
The DeLorean DMC12 is one of the best handling cars around. Driving one is so exciting that when you get out, you feel like you've injected 12 shots of espresso.

They weigh about 2700 pounds, and can hang with Ford 5.0 engines. I said HANG, not beat... which is impressive for laying out about 90 horsepower at the wheels. The stainless is easy to clean. My current DeLorean is painted, but I had one that was raw stainless... and I could go weeks without a wash (and never had to worry about waxing). The only people with problems were those who used steel wool to polish the body (steel wool rusts, so they're be rust sitting on top of the stainless).

As far as racing goes, they're amazing cars but expensive to modify. I'm thinking of buying ceramic coated headers & exhaust, which will cost $1500 US. A single turbo setup runs about $2500 US (twin is $9500 US). I've done some weight reduction, and am running about 15 in the quarter mile. This is not impressive when compared to 13 for a new Vette... but a new Vette costs $40,000 US (I spent less than 1/4 of that on my car), and my clutch & engine have 97,000 miles on them.

Got that?

redline_13000
07-29-2003, 03:06 PM
What makes them so special? 2700lbs and 90hp to the wheels will not hang with a 5.0L

EstoMax
07-29-2003, 04:27 PM
yeah.. my car is 2800 lbs and 92hp crank.. and its slow haha
a 5.0L is a lot faster i would imagine

max

Dr. Evil
07-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
What makes them so special? 2700lbs and 90hp to the wheels will not hang with a 5.0L
THAT is what makes them special. Nobody expects the car to perform as well as it does. Granted, most owners are scared to speed shift their cream puffs... but I'm not. Its a great sleeper.

Also, it teaches you a lesson that HP is not a gold weight standard. If car A has more HP than car B, it does not guarantee a win for A.

Dr. Evil
07-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by AquamosH
I always wondered how you'd be able to get out of a delorean when people park right beside you, considering the way the doors open :D

Dr. Evil
07-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by catywampusness
might make an interesting project to get one really fast.
You could whip up an intercooled twin turbo:

Ben
07-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Deloreans in their stock form are SLOW, and will not come close to hanging with a 5.0L

Dr. Evil
07-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Deloreans in their stock form are SLOW, and will not come close to hanging with a 5.0L
Its quite possible that my DMC has some internal mods that make it capable of hanging with a 5.0 Ford. I never knew the previous owner.

All I know is that I have hung with at least one 1992 5.0 Ford (stock), and one 2002 Honda S2000 :bigpimp: Supposedly, the S2K driver didn't know how to shift, but that is his problem:bullshit:

4wheeldrift
07-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Deloreans in their stock form are SLOW, and will not come close to hanging with a 5.0L Stock 1320: 17.9 seconds, stock 0-60 10.7 seconds. Lateral Gs of .77

If its as good as he claims, it has the title for the most under-rated car ever. With proper rubber it could put out some good cornering numbers I'm willing to bet, the car stock was pulling .77 on 195/60R14s 20 years ago, but that still doesn't explain the acceleration (or lack thereof).

Seanith
07-29-2003, 05:58 PM
yeah those are cool cars.. i got to sit in one a couple weeks ago.. that one was mint! ;)

Ben
07-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Well I destroyed a Delorian twice back in April and I hang with stock 5.0L's so that would mean that...

Delorean Specs:

Type: Light-alloy 90deg V6 with two overhead camshafts
Displacement: 2.85 Liters
Bore & Stroke: 91x73mm
Block type: Light alloy with cast-iron cylinder liners
Cylinder heads: Light alloy cross flow with hemi-chambers
Cooling system: Water/Ethylene Glycol
Fuel System: Bosch K-Jetronic C.I.S. Fuel Injection
Ignition System: Bosch Electronic Breakerless
Emission Control: Lambda Sond/catalytic. Unleaded fuel

Max Horse power: 130 @ 5500 rpm
Max Torque: 153 ft LB @ 2750 rpm

0-60 in 8.5 Sec 1/4 in 17.6

Mustangs do the 1/4 at about 15 flat @ Sea Level, and High 15's up here

jdmakkord
07-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Well I destroyed a Delorian twice back in April and I hang with stock 5.0L's so that would mean that...

Delorean Specs:

Type: Light-alloy 90deg V6 with two overhead camshafts
Displacement: 2.85 Liters
Bore & Stroke: 91x73mm
Block type: Light alloy with cast-iron cylinder liners
Cylinder heads: Light alloy cross flow with hemi-chambers
Cooling system: Water/Ethylene Glycol
Fuel System: Bosch K-Jetronic C.I.S. Fuel Injection
Ignition System: Bosch Electronic Breakerless
Emission Control: Lambda Sond/catalytic. Unleaded fuel

Max Horse power: 130 @ 5500 rpm
Max Torque: 153 ft LB @ 2750 rpm

0-60 in 8.5 Sec 1/4 in 17.6

Mustangs do the 1/4 at about 15 flat @ Sea Level, and High 15's up here

Compare it to a bone stock mustang of the same year and it may be a different story.
Hell my 87 supra turbo's stock specs were:
1/4 mile - 15.0 seconds @ 91 mph
0-60 mph in 6.4 sec
weight = 3529 lbs

4wheeldrift
07-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Compare it to a bone stock mustang of the same year and it may be a different story.
Hell my 87 supra turbo's stock specs were:
1/4 mile - 15.0 seconds @ 91 mph
0-60 mph in 6.4 sec
weight = 3529 lbs A stock 1989 LX should be doing 15.1 @ 90 or so at sea level

Dr. Evil
07-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Hah:rofl: '82 Mustangs were a joke. Actually, the early 80's weren't kind to cars across the board. Economy was more popular than performance, and the US mandated that speedometers stop at 85 MPH:nut:

jdmakkord
07-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil

Hah:rofl: '82 Mustangs were a joke. Actually, the early 80's weren't kind to cars across the board. Economy was more popular than performance, and the US mandated that speedometers stop at 85 MPH:nut:

If I remember right ford 302cid motors in the early 80's were only 130 or 140hp at the crank

Dr. Evil
07-29-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
With proper rubber it could put out some good cornering numbers I'm willing to bet, the car stock was pulling .77 on 195/60R14s 20 years ago
Damn straight! Its a fun car to take on the twisties:D Proper rubber would help. I'm still running stock rims/tires because they're pretty lightweight. I measured my rear rim at 22 pounds... not as good as a Volk, but $500 cheaper:thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
07-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil

Hah:rofl: '82 Mustangs were a joke. Actually, the early 80's weren't kind to cars across the board. Economy was more popular than performance, and the US mandated that speedometers stop at 85 MPH:nut: It wasn't that they didn't want to make fast cars, it was more they had trouble figuring out how to make them durable, never mind quick. All the new (at that time) emissions control stuff made getting power out of a car extremely difficult, and made them freakishly unreliable to boot. There's a reason why a lot of cars from that era aren't on the road any more. My dad had a '78 toyota wagon (the first year they used EGR systems) that lasted the motor only 25000 kms, and he had the record for the longest that model year had gone before the valvetrain was destroyed by the extra heat.

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2003, 08:30 PM
I'll repeat my quote, deloreans are slow, handle like crap and are heavy(for a 2 seater). .77g's isnt all that great especially since youd need to replace all the cars bushings, shocks, struts and tires to achieve that. Dont get me wrong their cool cars just more of a novelty than a true performance car

T5_X
07-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I'll repeat my quote, deloreans are slow, handle like crap and are heavy(for a 2 seater). .77g's isnt all that great especially since youd need to replace all the cars bushings, shocks, struts and tires to achieve that. Dont get me wrong their cool cars just more of a novelty than a true performance car

Let me repeat my quote, 2750 lbs!!!! That makes it weigh about the same if not less than your turbo SW20 there guy.

The test numbers are very inconsistent for the DMC-12. A rear engined car with equal length upper and lower control arms at all 4 corners rarely is a bad setup.

The bench racing is strong in this thread :rolleyes:

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Let me repeat my quote, 2750 lbs!!!! That makes it weigh about the same if not less than your turbo SW20 there guy.

The test numbers are very inconsistent for the DMC-12. A rear engined car with equal length upper and lower control arms at all 4 corners rarely is a bad setup.

The bench racing is strong in this thread :rolleyes:
The bench racing is strong, the one I drove must have been a lemon because frankly it drove like crap. Independent suspension cant be beat but I the doesnt hadle all the well then there are other issues. Like I said my experience in one was fun but definitely nothing exhilerating about it:)

T5_X
07-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Was it on stock tires? The stock wheel/tire setup is crap. I hear that the car is a little unrefined from the factory, but some tweaking gets it as a real 930 chaser on the twisties.

I didnt realize you've driven one, but when ppl bring up skidpad numbers to guage the handling performance of a car I get a little annoyed ;)

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Was it on stock tires? The stock wheel/tire setup is crap. I hear that the car is a little unrefined from the factory, but some tweaking gets it as a real 930 chaser on the twisties.

I didnt realize you've driven one, but when ppl bring up skidpad numbers to guage the handling performance of a car I get a little annoyed ;)
The one I drove was auto, didnt they all come auto or are there exceptions out there?

4wheeldrift
07-29-2003, 09:27 PM

I didnt realize you've driven one, but when ppl bring up skidpad numbers to guage the handling performance of a car I get a little annoyed ;) Skidpad numbers aren't COMPLETELY useless, if you know what the underpinnings are like as well

T5_X
07-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

The one I drove was auto, didnt they all come auto or are there exceptions out there?

No wonder it felt so lethargic! No, most are 5 speed, but 3 spd auto was an option. A very shitty 3 speed auto might i add.

Skidpad numbers aren't COMPLETELY useless, if you know what the underpinnings are like as well

True, but so often ppl just take them at face value. A Ram SRT10 weighs 5000 lbs with rear leafs and pulls high .8s that's just a refelection of its massively wide tires on huge diameter rims.

4wheeldrift
07-29-2003, 09:54 PM

True, but so often ppl just take them at face value. A Ram SRT10 weighs 5000 lbs with rear leafs and pulls high .8s that's just a refelection of its massively wide tires on huge diameter rims. Which is why I said a delorean could pull a lot better than a .77 with better rubber. Thats the stock number from 20 years ago, theres been a lot of improvements in tires alone over that time, never mind shocks and bushings and everyhting else

Dr. Evil
07-30-2003, 11:53 AM
The automatic DeLoreans are C-R-A-P. The first DMC I owned was an auto... it was slow, and the tranny computer was fried so it often started out in 2nd just to make things worse.

The suspension is Lotus, by the way, so if you drive one that handles like jello then the owner hasn't maintained it very well. They probably don't know what grease zirks are:rolleyes:

Hope I didn't piss ya off... I just love these cars and have fun thrashing them around the road. Other DeLorean owners hate me because I modify things, peel out, etc. When I told some owners I was thinking about nitrous, they never spoke to me again:D Dorks:poosie::tongue: