PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Herald Oil & Gas, Engineering & Technology Career Fair! (March 6th, 2008)

msouther
02-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that we are hosting another Career Fair just like we held in February and October of 2007. The last ones drew over 30 companies and over 3,000 job seekers. I think we will be around 20 companies for this one as it was bad timing I guess. CNRL and Enerplus are the two bigger companies attending, but there will also be some other great companies as well. Check out the ads in the Calgary Herald Business Section, Careers section and Neighbours weekly paper.

It is at the Telus Convention Centre! I am posting this just to make you aware and if you are looking for work, come on down. I am not opening up a discussion as to whether or not these events are purposeful or not. If you think it is, you will attend and if not, you won't. Thanks a lot and if you have any questions about the event or you work for a company that might be interested in being an exhibitor, please contact me via the thread or PM. Happy job hunting!

gpomp
02-02-2008, 03:22 PM
:thumbsup:

Machi
02-03-2008, 01:09 PM
what time is it between?

msouther
02-03-2008, 02:18 PM
It is from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Come down everyone so all of the companies who aren't participating from last time can see what they missed out on!

Here is a link to an ad I created on Working.com to promote the event:

Details About the Event! (http://workingcalgaryjobs.canada.com/texis/jobsearch/details.html?id=47a0bac649be0&q=Calgary%20Herald&qMiles=100&qCity=Calgary&qState=AB&pp=25&view=1&page=1&ccsj=1)

Only a few of the companies who are listed in the above link will be attending this Career Fair. There are conflicting oil and gas related trade shows and career fairs occuring around the same time as my event, so the exhibitor turnout isn't going to be as great as in the past.

I am going to re-evaluate these after this event and come up with a new plan of attack. We should be able to get over 30 exhibitors to our events easily, and I guess it is just bad planning for this event.

r0g3r
02-03-2008, 05:03 PM
im going to check this out for sure, i need to put some real experience on my resumes....

msouther
02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I just wanted to revive this thread. I have had quite a few more companies step forward. I am just waiting on receiving their registration forms before I publish their names, but everyone should come on down on your lunch, break, after work whenever and make this as successful as past events we have held. These companies are paying lots of money to meet with you so it is obviously important to them. If you have any questions, fire away. If you come down I will be the funny looking guy sitting at the booth before you enter the event. Feel free to let me know you are from Beyond. Take care!

msouther
02-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Here is a link to my ad in the Business section updated with company info:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Southey2002/CareerFair.jpg

There are more than this though. I also have:

- Horton CBI
- Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd.
- Rapid Response Project Ltd.
- Telvent
- WorleyParsons MEG

This is the complete list so far and there are a couple more registrations I am waiting for. When I have those, I will post the company names!

Hope to see some of you down there and have a great Family Day long weekend

JAYMEZ
02-16-2008, 05:01 AM
Awesome! Make sure to bump this a few days before the event :thumbsup:

msouther
02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey Folks,

Here is my newest ad and I will post one more final copy next week once it is done.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Southey2002/CareerFairAd.jpg

The two that aren't on this list are:

- Academy Services, a division of Nabors Canada
- Honeywell

Thanks and I hope to see you down there!

adam c
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
can we sticky this until the event?

msouther
02-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I think it is up to a moderator to sticky a thread, but if they will do that it would be great. I want tons of job seekers down there so the companies who paid big bucks to come will be overwhelmed and the companies who skipped out for whatever reason will here about it and make sure to take part next time.

Thanks for the suggestion and I wish it would've been stickied a while back, but it isn't my decision.

msouther
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Everybody,

I have uploaded my newest ad with the latest exhibitors. This list is final with the exception that Manpower Professional will be there as well. Hope to see you down at the event and feel free to say hi at the front booth before you enter. I will be sitting there for most of the day!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Southey2002/CareerFairAd-1.jpg

msouther
02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
BUMP!

I just want to make sure this thread is near the top so that as many of you who wish to attend, do so. If you have any questions about the event, please PM me or post your question on the thread. Thanks!

msouther
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
BUMP!

3 more days until the event and I hope some or all of you can come down and check it out. Without you guys, it isn't a success. Any questions ask away and happy job hunting!

Edit: I just noticed that my ad was deleted from before. I wasn't even thinking about that and I cleaned up some pictures from Photobucket. That is obviously why they aren't on here anymore. Sorry about that. In the Wednesday Careers section of the Herald I have a full page colour ad running with the details.

Palmiros
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I'll try to run away from work for a little bit that day. I've never attended one of these events before; should I bring resumes, or is it just informational?

msouther
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey Palmiros,

There are lots of people who work downtown that come down on their breaks or just after work. That is why we have it at the Convention Centre because it is in a nice location, close to the LRT and the time that the show runs allows people who work later to come down. I would bring some resumes with you as well, but some employers will refer you to their website to apply for easier trackability. Good luck and see you down there!

P.S - Nice car. It is similiar to mine as well!

msouther
03-05-2008, 10:57 AM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Southey2002/CareerFairAd.jpg

kerry
03-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Would an Instrumentation Tech Apprentice find jobs there? ;)

msouther
03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey Kerry,

I don't recall any specific jobs listed for instrumentation. Each of the companies had an ad ran in last Saturday's Careers section and most were small so they probably didn't list everything available. I would come down, chat with the employers and ask. Good luck and I hope you come down!

bigboom
03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by kerry
Would an Instrumentation Tech Apprentice find jobs there? ;)

you'll definetly find opportunity with the service companies there, ie. worley parsons.

Palmiros
03-06-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm looking for an MWD position; any word on that?

I'm coming down today; armed with resumes. :)

jav_
03-06-2008, 12:58 PM
so i just get off of centre st station and walk inside the buidling?

broken_legs
03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros
I'm looking for an MWD position; any word on that?

I'm coming down today; armed with resumes. :)

I didnt see any directional companies on that list...

IggyB
03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Just came back from the job fair.

IMHO:

Most companies that participated had very junior people answering questions. Some had little idea of what they were doing. The few senior people that participated very very much in demand.

Some companies took NO resumes, instead handing you a card with their website and instructions on how to post a resume.

No one seemed too interested in the candidates.

But there was a silver lining. After taking the LRT downtown and back South, I know that downtown is not for me. If i can help it.

:whocares:

Xtrema
03-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by IggyB
But there was a silver lining. After taking the LRT downtown and back South, I know that downtown is not for me. If i can help it.

:whocares:

Colt Flour Jacoubs are all in the south.

msouther
03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey Everybody,

First of all, thanks for reading this thread and for participating in the event today. We had 2,000 job seekers which was my expectation today, so I am happy and more importantly the exhibitors who paid to be there are happy. The next ones will be bigger and better. I need to change the way we do these so more companies who want to participate are informed well in advance so they can plan to attend. I know it sucks that some of the companies just refer you to there website, but it is too busy to hire on the spot and I think the majority of the companies took paper resumes as well and will look through them.

I also wanted to mention and this isn't an accusation, but somebody stole my bosses purse from the booth out front and that is very low. Hopefully whoever it was really needed the $40 in there and appreciates the HUGE inconveniences they have caused her now with having to replace cards etc. If anybody knows anything about this, I would highly recommend you contact the police or PM me so the loser gets what they deserve. I wish I would've saw this occur and I could've chased the person and beat them down in front of anyone who wanted to watch.

Anyways, overall a positive day with this above exception. Thanks again and I will keep you posted of our next events. Happy job hunting!

TheOneAndOnly
03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
i guess calgary herald workers aint a bunch of pacifists.

msouther
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
"i guess calgary herald workers aint a bunch of pacifists."

Pacifism is the way to be unless someone betrays you and takes away a piece of who you are. It is a big inconvenience to have to replace cards, sunglasses, expensive purse, house locks, car keys etc. I am from small town Sask. where this type of thing doesn't happen, and I guess it is sad that it (Calgary) has come to this low point. Peace!