PDA

View Full Version : Donairs

roopi
07-28-2003, 11:16 PM
(Split from: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20612)

Starting a donair business or is this for personal use??? :D

I love donairs! I just had one today. Let me know if you're opening one up I'll come test it out! :D

CRXguy
07-29-2003, 11:33 AM
hey roopi, there's a donair place in west end edmonton. it's at the corner of stony plain and 156st. it's called queen's donair. best donair i've had ever. :D

roopi
07-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
hey roopi, there's a donair place in west end edmonton. it's at the corner of stony plain and 156st. it's called queen's donair. best donair i've had ever. :D

i ate there last night. and 3 times last week! :D

they are the best damn donairs ever!!! they just need to get some A/C in that place.

CRXguy
07-29-2003, 12:13 PM
i feel like driving up there and bringing a couple back now!! haha

:D

redline_13000
07-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Najib has the best donairs in Calgary for sure. Try hittin up "MY DONAIR" at the trans canada mall - delicious :D

ecstasy_civic
07-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
Najib has the best donairs in Calgary for sure. Try hittin up "MY DONAIR" at the trans canada mall - delicious :D

:werd: :drool: ive eaten there many times, he does have the best donairs ever:thumbsup:

BigMass
07-29-2003, 01:15 PM
where is Najibs place?

ecstasy_civic
07-29-2003, 01:21 PM
just in trans canada mall in the back corner

D'z Nutz
07-29-2003, 01:39 PM
The donair shop by crescent is very good too. Run by a very nice leb family. Whenever I see the lady that works there, she crams my donair full of extra meat! :thumbsup:

I wasn't aware that there was a donair place close to home. Maybe I'll have to drop by one of these days :) :drool:

Weapon_R
07-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Just mention you are from Beyond. He will give members 10% off your order :)

Definately worth checking out.

littledan
07-29-2003, 02:30 PM
in edmonton there is a donair shop on stony plain called mr. donair... open super late. we call it stinky donair because... well, it's stinky. but the donairs are damn good!

redline_13000
07-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
where is Najibs place?

16th avenue East until 52nd ave south. It's in the plaza right there. Corner of 16th ave and 52nd street NE

Khyron
07-29-2003, 02:54 PM
And for those in the SW, the My Donair at Westbrook Mall (17th/37th st sw) is my favorite. Been eating there for 10+ years.

Khyron

lammer
07-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
And for those in the SW, the My Donair at Westbrook Mall (17th/37th st sw) is my favorite. Been eating there for 10+ years.

Khyron

the people who work there are very nice! i used to work across from them haah.

ZorroAMG
07-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Similar to Donairs, but MUCH better IMHO are shawarmas (beef or chicken) from either Falafel King on the corner of 1st Street SW and 8th Ave SW or for restaurant style, Aida's on 4th street SW (about 23 ave SW)

B17a
07-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Similar to Donairs, but MUCH better IMHO are shawarmas (beef or chicken) from either Falafel King on the corner of 1st Street SW and 8th Ave SW or for restaurant style, Aida's on 4th street SW (about 23 ave SW)

:werd: That's some tasty shit there! Falafel King that is, never been to Aida's. Just make sure you don't have to talk to anyone face to face after Falafel King, that garlic sauce causes breath bad enough to kill anyone within a 10ft radius!

4wheeldrift
07-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Anyone been to the place in Southland Crossing? Looking for new places to eat, tempted to try it but want to be sure I'm not going to end up dead from food poisoning or somethign first ;)

3G
07-29-2003, 06:47 PM

damn shawarma is soo good man, i prefer it over Donair!

Najib makes some good donair, you guys should try My Donair in Castleridge too

you guys say all this stuff is good (which it is), you haven't tasted the real stuff yet :D

jdmakkord
07-29-2003, 06:50 PM
a&a's market on 20ave nw is damn good too. Haha try their super, and good luck to anyone that thinks they can finish one!
Also just had one today at a place just north of 17ave se and 52 st. Fucking awesome! Garlic spread, lettuce, red cabbage, olives, onions, tomatoes, sweet sauce, and hot sauce. Holy shit

l/l/rX
07-29-2003, 06:59 PM
for those in the NW, check out Al's Pizza in ranchlands. my friend owns it OMG they're sooo damn good!!!! they load it up with chicken, beef whatever you order. its right beside wings, in that lil plaza.

ZorroAMG
07-29-2003, 07:40 PM
u fuckers...I am sooo hungry now.....grrrrr!!!

Ben
07-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Khyron

Originally posted by lammer

the people who work there are very nice! i used to work across from them haah.

Thats the shop my buddy runs!

It rocks

redline_13000
07-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Similar to Donairs, but MUCH better IMHO are shawarmas (beef or chicken) from either Falafel King on the corner of 1st Street SW and 8th Ave SW...

damn, those are delicious, i think im gonna head down there tommorow:drool:

jdmakkord
07-30-2003, 12:15 AM

I still prefer kabobs from babylon over near the lebanese bakery off of memorial.

Weapon_R
07-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Shawarma (chicken) is so damn good, but it's hard to get some authentic ones in Calgary. I think a place called Sobe's does some really good ones - but i've never tried Falafel king. Don't really like falafels but the shawarmas are really good.

Strider
07-30-2003, 12:44 AM

The first, and last shawarma i've ever eaten was from Falafel Hut at the U of C :barf: :barf:

ZorroAMG
07-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Sobe's is good too, Weapon, if you haven't tried Aida's on fourth, you SHOULD!! Really great Lebanese for restaurant food, very authentic..

BebeAphrodite
07-30-2003, 12:48 AM
eww... donairs

Weapon_R
07-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Strider

The first, and last shawarma i've ever eaten was from Falafel Hut at the U of C :barf: :barf:

They make NOTHING authentic. Their place is gross, i'll never eat there, and I eat a lot of lebanese food.

Sobe's is good too, Weapon, if you haven't tried Aida's on fourth, you SHOULD!! Really great Lebanese for restaurant food, very authentic..

Thanks man - i'll give it a try this week.

BebeAphrodite
07-30-2003, 12:59 AM

ha ha ha why would u eat there in the first place - the food there looks completely unappetizing

i think one of the only edible places for lunch is kobe beef

Weapon_R
07-30-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

ha ha ha why would u eat there in the first place - the food there looks completely unappetizing

lol now I KNOW you're messed up. I'd rather drink motor oil than eat at Kobe beef, that and their "terriaki" sauce with floating things all around haha.

VWhooligan
07-30-2003, 01:03 AM
hrmm, i used to work up at the pizza hut in castle ridge, right across from the My Donair, never tried it though, didnt know wtf a donair was.

ill have to go up and try one when i get back in town

BebeAphrodite
07-30-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

lol now I KNOW you're messed up. I'd rather drink motor oil than eat at Kobe beef, that and their "terriaki" sauce with floating things all around haha.

okay, so tell me where do you eat when you eat at machall?

Weapon_R
07-30-2003, 01:25 AM

okay, so tell me where do you eat when you eat at machall?

Subway and Primo only

BebeAphrodite
07-30-2003, 02:53 AM
lol, pasta at primo?
pretty tasteless

ya i forgot bout subway

stealth
07-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Shawarma (chicken) is so damn good, but it's hard to get some authentic ones in Calgary. I think a place called Sobe's does some really good ones - but i've never tried Falafel king. Don't really like falafels but the shawarmas are really good.

How can you not like Falafel! :banghead:

Its the best, i make it once in a while.

ZorroAMG
07-30-2003, 09:34 AM
I am half Lebanese and I don't like Falafel either...

Oh, and Strider, the "food" you ate at Falafel Slut at the University, no where near resembles what real Lebanese food tastes like. Try Falafel King downtown....maybe then you'll understand. If not go eat a hot dog and have a nice day.

benyl
07-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Back in the day when I was at U of C, we used to call Kobe Beef: "could be Beef?" The lady was so rude... haha

I always ate at oriental wok and regretted it later because
I would get a stomach ache. Long Live the Happy plate!!!

Falaffel King is awesome, but the pink cabbage turns my pee pink for 3 days!!!

Weapon_R
07-30-2003, 11:22 AM
I am half Lebanese and I don't like Falafel either...

Oh, and Strider, the "food" you ate at Falafel Slut at the University, no where near resembles what real Lebanese food tastes like. Try Falafel King downtown....maybe then you'll understand. If not go eat a hot dog and have a nice day.

:werd:

I hate falafel and I come from the place that makes em! But seriously, the falafel hut at UC is no representation of shawarma. Check out falafel king - during lunch time, the line is so long, expect to wait 1/2 hour to get anything.

stealth
07-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Back in the day when I was at U of C, we used to call Kobe Beef: "could be Beef?" The lady was so rude... haha

I always ate at oriental wok and regretted it later because
I would get a stomach ache. Long Live the Happy plate!!!

Falaffel King is awesome, but the pink cabbage turns my pee pink for 3 days!!!

Were do you come from?

Im arab, my rents are from Morocco.

Strider
07-30-2003, 12:43 PM

It was a challenge that went too far... right before an exam.

Kobe is one of the few places I eat at mac hall, but it gets sickening too after a while.

I hate falafel and I come from the place that makes em! But seriously, the falafel hut at UC is no representation of shawarma. Check out falafel king - during lunch time, the line is so long, expect to wait 1/2 hour to get anything.

I'll have to try it sometime...
is there any good falafel / donair places in the NE by 32nd + 19th?

Strider
07-30-2003, 12:45 PM

Subway and Primo only

primo is pretty gay. It costs $5.00 for horribly overcooked pasta that would cost $0.50 to make at home

BebeAphrodite
07-30-2003, 12:56 PM

Kobe is one of the few places I eat at mac hall,

primo is pretty gay. It costs $5.00 for horribly overcooked pasta that would cost $0.50 to make at home

3G
07-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Falafel is pretty dry

anyone here eat tabboulie?? gotta love it :D

max_boost
07-30-2003, 03:33 PM
You guys buy your lunches at school? I still bring my lunch. I'm one of those fobs with their tupper ware containers standing in front of the microwave during lunch hour!!!

CRXguy
07-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You guys buy your lunches at school? I still bring my lunch. I'm one of those fobs with their tupper ware containers standing in front of the microwave during lunch hour!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stealth
07-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Thats why you have a Honda S2000. I very rarely buy lunch, my friend goes to New york fries and gets a poutine and with my SPC Card i get a free one.

roopi
07-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Just had another donair from Queen's and it was excellent as usual.

I tried this place on Jasper and 109th the other day and it wasn't very good at all.

BebeAphrodite
07-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Just had another donair from Queen's and it was excellent as usual.

I tried this place on Jasper and 109th the other day and it wasn't very good at all.

The only Jasper and 109 I can think of is in Edmonton.. ?

stealth
07-30-2003, 08:26 PM

The only Jasper and 109 I can think of is in Edmonton.. ?

That is correct.

benyl
07-31-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by stealth

Were do you come from?

Im arab, my rents are from Morocco.

Not sure why you asked... but my mother is Korean and my father is German. I guess that makes me Canadian...

Does that explain why my pee turns pink?

szw
07-31-2003, 03:00 AM
any good donair places in the NW? I haven't seen any

stealth
07-31-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Not sure why you asked... but my mother is Korean and my father is German. I guess that makes me Canadian...

Does that explain why my pee turns pink?

just wonderin cause you said you come from were they were made, and wasnt to sure :)

jdmakkord
07-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by szw

See my posts:D A&A supermarket on 20 ave and like 12st NW.

benyl
07-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by stealth

just wonderin cause you said you come from were they were made, and wasnt to sure :)

Haha, I think you have me mixed up with somebody else. My mom does sell Donairs at her deli though.

l/l/rX
07-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by szw

see my post too. Al's Pizza, in ranchlands, past the school in that lil mall area. they have great pizza too! try it out! :thumbsup:

edit: their lebonese too if that makes any difference?

stealth
07-31-2003, 05:33 PM
yup sorry just noticed wrong person :P

Weapon_R
02-12-2004, 06:45 PM
For all you edmontonians: Have you tried Richard's Donair? It's got to be the most massive donair i've ever tried (Jumbo, $8). It's not the best, but it's enough for two meals :D

MM99lude
02-12-2004, 06:49 PM
If you guys like Mediterranean food you should check out Cafe Mediterranean, i think its on first street and 11 ave or something don't remember exactly its right next to the Viscous circle. Really great food plus you can order tons of different flavours of nargela out of some really nice hooka bongs. Really nice owner too!

jeep_sahara
02-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Go to Mount Royal collage and go to johnnys.

CRXguy
02-12-2004, 10:15 PM
For all you edmontonians: Have you tried Richard's Donair? It's got to be the most massive donair i've ever tried (Jumbo, $8). It's not the best, but it's enough for two meals :D

Address? :D

MK3HKS
02-12-2004, 11:58 PM
the best donair in calgary is......................................................................................

THE DONAIR STOP (on centre st by mazda dealer):thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
02-13-2004, 04:18 AM
The BEST Lebanese food in Calgary, hands down is at Aida's on fourth street SW across from the orange urban barn. Cafe Mediteranean is lower end, kinda liks a lebanese food court, but it does have the Argillé!

EK 2.0
02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
The BEST Lebanese food in Calgary, hands down is at Aida's on fourth street SW across from the orange urban barn. Cafe Mediteranean is lower end, kinda liks a lebanese food court, but it does have the Argillé!

I so wholeheartedly agree with Zorro on Aida's...I mean my friends mom makes things better, but thats cause shes a mom and nothing can beat moms cooking...But for an establishment...

MMM MMM Aida's...:drool: Gots to love the khubi...

ZorroAMG
02-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Yeah Cyclone, for a restaurant, it is as good and authentic as it gets!

Foz
02-13-2004, 02:12 PM
My best donair I'd say is

Amin's Donair!!

The dump on 7th ave, 1st st. SW.

Don't let the crowd or the appearance of the place fool ya.. it's damn good.

:poosie:

Spawn
02-16-2004, 05:06 AM

Only two meals. :p In Medicine Hat we have a plave called Samirs, best donais that I've had, they have a donair the size of a table, it's a lot more expensive than the 8$ Jumbo there. :D

EK 2.0
02-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Foz

Amin's Donair!!

Y'all ever hada donair from Pops Deli on 7th and 8th Street?? SW damnnnn fine...

t3rry
02-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Just make them yourself, that way you can put anything on them, just buy some donair loaf from S.O.B.'s and make some sauce with the recipe below:

2/3 cup nonfat evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar

theken
02-16-2004, 05:19 PM
donairs are pimp

hjr
02-16-2004, 05:52 PM
had some serious munchies and hit up Marco's Famous on Whyte. Sooooo Damn good. messy though.

ninspeed
02-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Foz

Amin's Donair!!

i used to eat there alot when i went to western.. but now i only get down there like once a year if that... Mmmmmm... now i want one

nismodrifter
02-17-2004, 01:19 AM
that guy on 7thave does good business with his "walk through window" thing ahhaha, everytime I take the train home in the afternoon there is always somebody buying