PDA

View Full Version : failed to pick up a in transit for a vehicle

Scope951
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Being out of town yesterday, i failed to pick up a in transit for a vehicle i am purchasing today.

The car is located in lethbridge, and I am in Calgary.

What are my options for bringing the car back legally?

are there any registry's open on sundays?

any help would be appreciated!

pinoyhero
02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure you're allowed to drive the car with plates from another car for in transit especially interprovicine, ive done that before from edmoton.

Scope951
02-03-2008, 10:57 AM
are we speaking about the 14 day grace period?
I thought you could only do that if the existing car for the plates has been sold.

PARKRAT
02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
If the plate is not registered to the car it is on the car is not insured.You must register it to that car before you drive it.there is no grace peroid any more.zero.

D. Dub
02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Downtown Registry is open Sundays.

Maddog55
02-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I'm pretty sure you're allowed to drive the car with plates from another car for in transit especially interprovicine, ive done that before from edmoton.

Thats a $250 fine. Any vehicle has to be registered AND insured before it can be driven anywhere. Even parked on a public road it has to be registered and insured.

Parkrat said it right...no grace period. zero!

G-ZUS
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by PARKRAT
If the plate is not registered to the car it is on the car is not insured.You must register it to that car before you drive it.there is no grace peroid any more.zero.

Originally posted by Maddog55

Thats a $250 fine. Any vehicle has to be registered AND insured before it can be driven anywhere. Even parked on a public road it has to be registered and insured.

Parkrat said it right...no grace period. zero!

Since when?? I just got pulled over last month because my plates didn't match my car, when I showed him all my paperwork he let me go. wtf

Maddog55
02-03-2008, 12:55 PM
wow. I'd say you got lucky with a decent cop. Doesn't mean its legal.

I got stopped by a cop and my insurance had expired. Which is a huge fine and immediate impound. He let me go as I was close to home and he must've believed me that I totally forgot to renew my plates and insurance.

But you can't drive a vehicle with plates not registered to it.

G-ZUS
02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55
wow. I'd say you got lucky with a decent cop. Doesn't mean its legal.

I got stopped by a cop and my insurance had expired. Which is a huge fine and immediate impound. He let me go as I was close to home and he must've believed me that I totally forgot to renew my plates and insurance.

But you can't drive a vehicle with plates not registered to it.

Last time I checked, you had 14 days to transfer your plates after you sell your car. I got pulled over a couple times before that too. Do you have a link?

FiveFreshFish
02-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Scope951
What are my options for bringing the car back legally?

Towing is one option. Not the cheapest one though.

Tik-Tok
02-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Last time I checked, you had 14 days to transfer your plates after you sell your car. I got pulled over a couple times before that too. Do you have a link?

Yeah, all I could find was this (http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFTRA_Content/doctype45/Production/dhpage24.htm)

When you purchase or acquire a motor vehicle, you may use the valid licence plate that was issued for your previous vehicle. You must transfer the registration to the newly acquired vehicle within 14 days and have valid insurance. If you are a first time owner, you will receive new licence plates upon registering the vehicle.

300zxfairlday
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
^^ im sure there is a registry open where you can go and get a in transit permit

300zxfairlday
02-03-2008, 01:51 PM
here you go

there open till 5

http://www.downtownregistry.com/main/location.php

Tik-Tok
02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
This is straight from the Motor Vehicle Administration Act

41(3) At any time during the registration year for which the licence
plates are issued, the person to whom they are issued may apply to
the Minister to use the plates on another vehicle to be registered in
that person's name, if the application is made within 14 days after
acquiring ownership of the other vehicle and, notwithstanding
sections 34 and 51, that person may display the plates on the newly
acquired vehicle and operate or permit another person to operate
the vehicle on a highway during that 14-day period.

70(3) When a newly acquired motor vehicle is being operated with
licence plates issued to another motor vehicle pursuant to section
41(3), and if the operator, owner or person having the care and
control of the vehicle produces
(a) proof of the purchase, within the immediately preceding
14 days, of the newly acquired vehicle, and
(b) a financial responsibility card for the vehicle to which the
licence plates are issued,
the peace officer shall give the operator, owner or person having
the care and control of the vehicle reasonable time within which to
produce a financial responsibility card for the newly acquired
vehicle.

Sorath
02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
dont listen to these guys, u HAVE to have insurance, and as long as ur plate is up to date and is not registered to any car right now, u can bolt it on the back of ur new car and drive it back

Tik-Tok
02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
dont listen to these guys, u HAVE to have insurance, and as long as ur plate is up to date and is not registered to any car right now, u can bolt it on the back of ur new car and drive it back

Read above post...

BlueGoblin
02-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
This is straight from the Motor Vehicle Administration Act

The Motor Vehicle Administration Act has not been in effect since May, 2003. It was replaced with the Traffic Safety Act.

2BLUE
02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
U have 14 days...

Call The rcmp thats what i did..

Vtecmini
02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
When I picked up the mini from lethbridge. All i needed to get it back was a small 4/6 sheet of paper that said in transit on it. I picked it up form the caa and drove to airdrie with no plates on it. the only time I got stopped was from the chapters parking lot to the caa.

Tik-Tok
02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin

The Motor Vehicle Administration Act has not been in effect since May, 2003. It was replaced with the Traffic Safety Act.

Ah, so your correct. Nothing in the Traffic Safety Act about grace period either, only

53(1) Except as otherwise permitted under this Act, a person shall not do any of the following:

(a) operate or park a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway unless the subsisting licence plate issued for that vehicle or that is otherwise permitted under this Act is displayed on that vehicle in accordance with the regulations;

Maddog55
02-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, all I could find was this (http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFTRA_Content/doctype45/Production/dhpage24.htm)

Ahh! Good find! I did not know this. In BC its different. Good to know.

WWJAI
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I talked to my insurance agent about this before I went to Lethbridge to purchase my car. She said I have 14 days and that as long as I call or leave a message at my insurance company, I will be covered. She told me that a lot of insurance companies will tell you that it is illegal to drive without it insured but as long as you still have a live policy with them (not expired), you will be covered. You have to have your insurance coverage slip on you and your bill of sale.

DayGlow
02-03-2008, 05:02 PM
you can transfer plates and have 14 days to register, provided that the vehicle you took the plates off of is no longer on the road. You can't swap a plate, then swap it back. Carry your paperwork showing that the vehicle was purchased within that 14 day period.

As for insurance, it's a grey area. Some argue that you have 14 days to transfer, others don't, even inside the insurance business. You will most likely get a no insurance ticket unless you can provide proof that that vehicle is insured. You maybe able to get the ticket canceled by providing paperwork from the insurance company that the vehicle was insured, but you will still have to deal with the headache of the tow and inpoundment. My advice is to call the insurance agency and they can fax/email the new documents to you in less than 15 minutes and you will not have a problem.

Supa Dexta
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
And once again, the asses are silenced... I just did this a few months back, insurance said, INSUREANCE, not my cousin, or neighbour or a kid down the street

-> your fine to use your currently registered/insured plate off of another car, provided its off the street (as day glow said) and I believe they also said you would only have plpd coverage on the new car (I'd have to re check that, but I'm 90% sure thats the case)

Originally posted by Sorath

And how would you go about registering a plate to no car? :rolleyes:

tom_9109
02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Day Glo is right in his post.

I'm under the impression can use the plate off another vehicle as long as the vehicle no longer owned by you. If you're keeping the car you can just make a bill of sale to someone in your family for the car you own and keep it with the new car and present it with insurance papers (new car) and registration (old car) if pulled over. When you get a proper plate put on the car pretend you never sold you car. Its a technicality but will cover you ass in any situation.

You should always have proper insurance on any car you are going to drive. there is a provision in a standard auto policy that will cover a new car as long as the old car has been disposed of. This however is a very grey area and you could still get a ticket for no insurance if the officer doesn't understand the intricacies of an insurance policy.

And I think Sorath was getting at you can use the plate if the car its registered to is no longer owned by you.

sr20s14zenki
02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
As they said above, you have 14 days for both..BUT id say a good 80% of cops dont know that there is a 14 day grace for insurance...so chances are youll get a no insurance ticket and then youll have to go and fight it and prove that its the truth and bla bla blah. Call your insurance, tell them you want insurance on the car, and make sure you carry a bill of sale for the car you just bought and youll be fine before 14 days.

:thumbsup:

who told you that load of crap?

Maddog55
02-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
And once again, the asses are silenced... I just did this a few months back, insurance said, INSUREANCE, not my cousin, or neighbour or a kid down the street

ROFL....cuz we all know insurance agents are the "be all, end all" when it comes to legislation. In this case, it looks like that "might be" correct, but you'll excuse me if I don't trust what an insurance agent tells me.

If I recall there was a certain "someone" who was told by a COP (not a neighbour blah blah blah) that he needed a certain type of plate, to the tune of a $350 fine....then was also told by a GOVERNMENT REGISTRY AGENT, that I needed a nother type of registration. The judge and crown disagreed completely with both parties.

Hardly what I'd call "asses"....wouldn't you agree??

Supa Dexta
02-05-2008, 01:23 AM
No I don't agree.. When I needed this info I went to the source and asked what was what to cover my ass. I didn't come on here for people to guess at it. This isn't directed solely at you, you seem to understand you were wrong, partially anyways.. It's just the way this always goes down, people take a stab at it, are totally off base, ooh but a friend of a friends cousin knew this guy, who got like a fine for that, but it was kind of a fine for a ricer exhaust, but same difference..

ah well...

Maddog55
02-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
No I don't agree.. When I needed this info I went to the source and asked what was what to cover my ass. I didn't come on here for people to guess at it. This isn't directed solely at you, you seem to understand you were wrong, partially anyways.. It's just the way this always goes down, people take a stab at it, are totally off base, ooh but a friend of a friends cousin knew this guy, who got like a fine for that, but it was kind of a fine for a ricer exhaust, but same difference..

ah well...

No no...you got me wrong. I know I was wrong on this case...at least so far...still havent got a definitive answer. (I also know you werent directing it at me, no worries on that)

And going to the source is the right thing to do instead of what "beyond" has to say.

What I was saying that just because and agent told you that doesn't mean its correct.

I had a cop AND a government certified agent tell me something that was totally wrong according to the law. That's all I was saying.

Scope951
02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
k so the car has to get towed.

Anybody know anyone that has fair pricing?

hoping that i would only have to spend 150$

74hotrodmalibu
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
:drama: :drama: :drama: :drama: check to see if your DMV offers a temp tag (3 days) to get car home and insurance is pretty much a given, thats what i used when i drove mine home i think it was like 25 buxs or so .......but i still had to have proof of insurance (for my person) and the dated bill of sale

Maddog55
02-08-2008, 12:05 AM

So why can't you use your old plates like it seems that you are legally allowed to do?

74hotrodmalibu
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
because it does not identify the car to the plates that are on it and its considered fraud where i am at (maybe different north of border) you have to have a bill of sale and insurance (for all vehicles on the road)(insurance) and from what i know of, bill of sale has to be dated with title dated as same by old owner. most DMV's can clarify this, but most will offer a 3 day temp permit to allow you to get it to your house or where its going. And as long as you have a statement from insurance showing the vin and insurance company that they are aware you are transporting the car they will cover it and fax or mail you (or you pick up) the copy any more just ask

tom_9109
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Why is someone in Illinois even commenting on the laws in alberta?? Totally different set of rules in each place.

OP, get insurance for the car. then do a bill of sale selling your normal car to a friend the same day you buy the new car. put its plate on the new car, drive home and rip up the bill of sale and put the plate on the right car. You'll get through pull overs fine and avoid any penalty.

benyl
02-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Anybody know anyone that has fair pricing?

hoping that i would only have to spend 150$

I don't understand. Do you have the VIN?

Call your insurance, get a pink card faxed to you. Go to the registry today and get a plate!

I insured my M3 in Chicago before I even had the bill of sale. You can pretty much put insurance on any car you want. Once you have that, you can get a plate. Assuming the car was registered in Alberta before and it doesn't need an inspection, why wouldn't you do that?

Then you could drive it back.

Getting a tow from Lethbridge will likely cost you $600.

74hotrodmalibu
02-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I don't understand. Do you have the VIN?

Call your insurance, get a pink card faxed to you. Go to the registry today and get a plate!

I insured my M3 in Chicago before I even had the bill of sale. You can pretty much put insurance on any car you want. Once you have that, you can get a plate. Assuming the car was registered in Alberta before and it doesn't need an inspection, why wouldn't you do that?

Then you could drive it back.

Getting a tow from Lethbridge will likely cost you $600. there you go thats what i have been trying to tell him

74hotrodmalibu
02-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Why is someone in Illinois even commenting on the laws in alberta?? Totally different set of rules in each place.

OP, get insurance for the car. then do a bill of sale selling your normal car to a friend the same day you buy the new car. put its plate on the new car, drive home and rip up the bill of sale and put the plate on the right car. You'll get through pull overs fine and avoid any penalty. i was commenting on it because i have sold 4 cars to some people across the border of usa/canada and thats what they had to do get the insurance then get the 3 day tag to take it across the border THATS WHY I WAS CHIMING IN my friend

tom_9109
02-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 74hotrodmalibu
i was commenting on it because i have sold 4 cars to some people across the border of usa/canada and thats what they had to do get the insurance then get the 3 day tag to take it across the border THATS WHY I WAS CHIMING IN my friend

providing it was people in alberta then its good info. :poosie:

dragonone
02-08-2008, 05:23 PM
my dealer wouldn't give me the keys to my new second hand car unless i showed them (and honda canada) insurance papers, and got the license plate from a nearby registry

Supa Dexta
02-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Weird, last car I bought from a dealer I showed up with a plate I had left from NS, thru it on and left.. He never asked for anything..

74hotrodmalibu
02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

providing it was people in alberta then its good info. :poosie: 3 of them went to alberta and two of the three were same person (mustang II's)

Maddog55
02-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by 74hotrodmalibu
because it does not identify the car to the plates that are on it and its considered fraud where i am at (maybe different north of border) you have to have a bill of sale and insurance (for all vehicles on the road)(insurance) and from what i know of, bill of sale has to be dated with title dated as same by old owner. most DMV's can clarify this, but most will offer a 3 day temp permit to allow you to get it to your house or where its going. And as long as you have a statement from insurance showing the vin and insurance company that they are aware you are transporting the car they will cover it and fax or mail you (or you pick up) the copy any more just ask

Did you not read the first page and half of this thread?....that whole point has been debated/argued and pretty much settled.
That's why I asked the question, as his problem seemed to have been solved by what Tik Tok, Dayglo and Supa Dexta (among others) had pointed out.

But thanks anyways! :thumbsup:

benyl
02-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
my dealer wouldn't give me the keys to my new second hand car unless i showed them (and honda canada) insurance papers, and got the license plate from a nearby registry

I am guess you financed the car. In which case, Honda Canada owns the car, not you. Hence the requirement for insurance.

schurchill39
02-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Alright there is a shit load of conflicting info here. I have done this 3 or 4 times so these are the steps you should follow. I have looked into it and yes you do have a 14 day grace period but you should also let your insurance company know.

So your buying a car.. get the VIN then call up your insurance company, explain to them you just bought this car and its located in lethbridge and you need to bring it back. Have them put a note on your account saying you called them and spoke with them about the car and this is the VIN. Because its a new-to-you vehicle then you are covered for 14 days. This (as explained to me) is just to get the car back to where you live and then to any sort of mechanic that you need to incase of repairs or inspections etc. Point being that when you have time just go and switch your insurance over.

Secondly with your plate, take your registration from the vehicle the plate is off of that is in your name along with you. If and when you are stoped you must present the real car's registration its insurance and the bill of sale for the new vehicle you are driving. Tell the officer you spoke with your insurance company and then you should be on your way.

This is all perfectly legal but just remember to get your insurance and registration switched over when you get the car back as soon as you can.

johnboy27
02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Wrong,just went threw it with my insurance company. I was looking to buy a car in Edmonton and I went in to see what my options were as for making sure I was legal. She told me that as long as I had an insurance card that was valid for the plate that was put on the new car. You have 14 days to transfer the car to the plate you have on it. If you get ticketed and towed fight it in court,you will win.
My insurance agent actually reprinted me an insurance card fro the old car that I had registered to my other plate. If you go into your insurance agent and ask them they should be able to provide you with a little pamphlette with the rules in it.

Scope951
02-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Just an update.
Car is back in calgary now.

It had itself a little episode on the highway ending itself up in the ditch. so the car had to be flat the rest.