PDA

View Full Version : Need more drum discussion

Pages : [1] 2

pyro
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
just startin out and i must say im pretty brutal right now so any links or tips would be helpful. post anything drum related

Hadoken
02-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Unlike with guitars, Rock Band can actually help you learn some basic drumming skills.

It may sound stupid, but try using Rock Band for some basic lessons in rhythm, patterns and limb independance. It's cheaper (and more fun) to get started on Rock Band than formal lessons.

Work your way up through until you can play some songs fairly proficiently expert, and then go for real lessons.

rage2
02-03-2008, 05:40 PM
It's true. I can play Enter Sandman on drums now, and kerry can do And Justice for All.

As for Rock Band guitar skills, it does help a lot with finger co-ordination. Haysen jams with us on bass a lot, where there really aren't any chords. He learned to play bass by playing GH/Rock Band.

pyro
02-03-2008, 11:17 PM
rock band helped a bit but anyone know if theres any drum teachers in the NW.

zipdoa
02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by pyro
rock band helped a bit but anyone know if theres any drum teachers in the NW.

I was taking lessons from a guy right by kensington when I was about 14 years old... I realized about the 8th or 9th session in that we was piss drunk when I was showing up and could barely sit upright. That kind of put me off lessons and teachers so I just taught myself, which I think is the way to go. Look up some techniques online, or just try to learn songs with increasing difficulty. Personally, I just like to jam and come up with my own fills and beats!

sexualbanana
02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

I was taking lessons from a guy right by kensington when I was about 14 years old... I realized about the 8th or 9th session in that we was piss drunk when I was showing up and could barely sit upright. That kind of put me off lessons and teachers so I just taught myself, which I think is the way to go. Look up some techniques online, or just try to learn songs with increasing difficulty. Personally, I just like to jam and come up with my own fills and beats!

Never had lessons, just learned the way you did. But I think it would've been nice to have an instructor at least for a little bit.

97'Scort
02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Self-taught, been playing for 10-ish years. I have a Roland TD-7 kit with a TD-12 brain for practice and jams.

Big Dangerous
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
rock band helped a bit but anyone know if theres any drum teachers in the NW. Rock band won't do fuck all for you or anyone.

How to learn the drums in 8 easy steps:

-By drums
-Set them up
-Get a little bit of instruction
-Play them as much as possible
-Go to ACTUAL drum clinics
-Watch videos
-Make friends with someone who knows how to play ACTUAL drums, listen and watch.
-Play for years, a couple of hours per day, instead of going out on sundays, spend the good part of a day practicing chops, rudiments (if it helps you) or try to learn a song you've always wanted to learn.

I couldn't have been the first to say "wow, now everyone's going to think their johnny rock-star" when rock band came out
:rofl:

Anyways, if you need help with anything let me know.. I remember starting out and I couldn't hang on row your boat. I've noticed with drums it's something you definitely HAVE or definitely DONT have. If you feel like it's something you can evolve and develop well, then it's one of the funnest things you'll ever do musically.

Work on your ability to keep tempo.. play simple 4/4's to a click track (metronome) and just get your clock solid. Fills and other shit comes along later.. I still work my balls off practicing keeping time.

Overall, I think the best thing I ever did was be friends with my buddy who's been playing for 20 or so years.. get to know the guys at your drum shop too.

I hope you stick with it dude. It's a long process, I don't know any drummer that ever got good in even their first 5 years of playing.. so be patient and just keep working on things I say.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rage2
02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Big Dangerous
Rock band won't do fuck all for you or anyone.
Rock band teaches limb independance, and keeping proper time.

Before rock band, I couldn't even hold a basic kick/snare beat. I can play a few songs now on real drums purely because of rock band. I can play along during a jam, add random fills, and fake my way through it just fine. RB teaches pretty much every drum pattern out there.

The hardest part going from rockband --> real drums is the fact that there's only 4 pads in rock band, where there's 4 drums and 4 cymbals in real drums, so you have to figure out when you're supposed to hit one or the other. That can be figured out fairly easily by listening.

Even our drummer says his timekeeping has improved because of rock band.

Big Dangerous
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Rock band teaches limb independance, and keeping proper time.

Before rock band, I couldn't even hold a basic kick/snare beat. I can play a few songs now on real drums purely because of rock band. I can play along during a jam, add random fills, and fake my way through it just fine. RB teaches pretty much every drum pattern out there.

The hardest part going from rockband --> real drums is the fact that there's only 4 pads in rock band, where there's 4 drums and 4 cymbals in real drums, so you have to figure out when you're supposed to hit one or the other. That can be figured out fairly easily by listening.

Even our drummer says his timekeeping has improved because of rock band. Not that I really wanna argue with you ......., and I agree it might help timing a little bit.. but playing a real kit vs a video game is completely different.

It's nothing alike and any drummer with some time in behind them knows that. I'm going by what 3 or 4 of my friends say who've been playing for ages as well as my opinion on electric kits. It may seem like a simple transfer of 'skills', but it's really not.

Seems like it would be a cool 'game' to play though :S

rage2
02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree it's completely different. My first try on real drums it after rock band sounded horrible. But it took no time to get it figured out, an hour or 2? My point is it's a lot easier to learn the basics via Rock Band than to just learn the basics on drums alone. It's not gonna turn you into Tommy Lee overnight that's for sure.

I can play most songs in Hard/Expert in RB, and I still suck at real drums. But I'm good enough to sound like I know WTF I'm doing. It's a good start if I wanted to get really good.

TKRIS
02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Seems like it would be a cool 'game' to play though :S

Wait a minute...

"seems"...

Does that mean you haven't ever played it?

I don't much care one way or the other. I've never played it, don't play drums, don't plan on playing drums...

I just wanted a little clarification as to whether or not you've ever actually done the activity you're criticizing as being useless, or if you're just hyper-defensive about your hobby.

Big Dangerous
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I agree it's completely different. My first try on real drums it after rock band sounded horrible. But it took no time to get it figured out, an hour or 2? My point is it's a lot easier to learn the basics via Rock Band than to just learn the basics on drums alone.

I can play most songs in Hard/Expert in RB, and I still suck at real drums. But I'm good enough to sound like I know WTF I'm doing.
hahah call me a purist I guess lol. I still use a pillow for a practice pad.

Originally posted by TKRIS

Wait a minute...

"seems"...

Does that mean you haven't ever played it?

I don't much care one way or the other. I've never played it, don't play drums, don't plan on playing drums...

I just wanted a little clarification as to whether or not you've ever actually done the activity you're criticizing as being useless, or if you're just hyper-defensive about your hobby.

No, I haven't played it. If your friend went for a rip on his sisters pink tricycle and said it was lame, would you believe him?

I'm going on what drummers I know have said who have played it. I still think it would be fun toy to play with though..

TKRIS
02-07-2008, 05:29 PM
OK,
So hitting a piece of rubber with a stick is to a particular rhythm is completely different than hitting a piece of plastic with a stick to a particular rhythm.

See, because to me, it seems like they're very similar mechanical actions.

As such, I'd fully expect to hear anecdotal evidence of "Rock Star" drumming making a non-drummer more proficient at drumming (as rage2 has provided). In the exact same way, and for the exact same reasons, I'd suspect that your friends who are skilled at playing the drums would quickly become proficient at playing "Rock Star".

xmattx8
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
You can learn to play rock band in a week, takes years to play drums somewhat decent.

Ive been playing drums for around 6 years and i cant play rock band worth shit. Decent at guitar hero tho hahaha.

rage2
02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by xmattx8
You can learn to play rock band in a week, takes years to play drums somewhat decent.

Ive been playing drums for around 6 years and i cant play rock band worth shit. Decent at guitar hero tho hahaha.
Well I'm a guitar player, and I've never played drums before Rock Band. Like I said earlier, I've tried here and there and I couldn't even hold a simple beat. When I got rock band, I played the fake drums for about 1.5-2 months till I could play songs in Expert. I got pretty good at Enter Sandman in the game (prob my best Expert song) so I decided to try and play the same patterns on my drum kit.

So here's a video of me givin' it a try. My timing's not perfect, lots of small mistakes, and I'm probably not hitting any of the cymbals properly or using my hands right, but it's a damn good start considering this is like my 10th time playing real drums. Remember that I didn't get rock band till early December, so in reality even if I played every single day, it's only been 2 months since I first started even attempting to play drums, real or fake. I've never had a lesson. It's all learnt through Rock Band.

tHDug0FXyFE

I'm sure it'll take years of practice to get good at drums and to play songs that aren't in rockband LOL, but to think that rock band isn't a good tool for learning how to play drums is pretty stupid. It definately decreases the initial learning curve significantly.

BTW - I can play about 4 or 5 songs on real drums now that sounds kinda crappy like this.

theken
02-07-2008, 08:15 PM
im impressed, you did good on metallica, my favorite song on there os the coheed and cambria soo much bass kicks, i get sweaty, but it has to be the coolest beat. Are you watching rock band or did u just memorize the song

Darkane
02-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Holy fuck Rage, I am really impressed. 2 months.. You got the timing down pretty good, take some lessons for stick control, posture and setup and you're drumming alright! hah :thumbsup:

Darkane
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh and yeah:

Me:

Acoustic kit: Tama Rockstar 7 piece (22" dual bass drums, 10, 12, 13 racks and a 16" floor) 14" Snare

Cymbals: Zildjin "A" Custom 15", 17", 19" power crash, 16" China, 21" ride, 14" hats, 6" slash.

Hardware: Tama basic boom stands, Power glide pedals x2

Electronic: Roland Td-3, Pd85 mesh snare, 15" crash addition.

Experience 7 years, last half of the year nothing. Damn moving cities :D

sr20s14zenki
02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
George Lawrence Stone: Stick control...and a practice pad...i practice 1 hour every night like it says, gotta learn the rudiments man (=

Ive been playing for about 2 1/2 months, not doing too bad. Crappy Burswood kit, upgraded to Evan's skins, Zildjian ZHT cymbal set...pearl stands, pearl double kick

Fun stuff (=

Oh yah, allaboutdrums.co.uk

his lessons are AWESOME, i love his style of teaching, i couldnt get bass drum independance till i saw his videos.

sexualbanana
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
nice work rage.

rage2
02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by theken
Are you watching rock band or did u just memorize the song
I've played it so much that I've pretty much got all of it memorized. I did start learning it on real drums by playing a youtube video of it and watching it while I played along.

Originally posted by Darkane
Holy fuck Rage, I am really impressed. 2 months.. You got the timing down pretty good, take some lessons for stick control, posture and setup and you're drumming alright! hah :thumbsup:
haha I'm not terribly interested in playing drums, it's just an experiment that kerry and I did after playing rockband one day. I gotta spend my time working on my guitar playing.

I'll get kerry to do a video of Welcome Home as well as And Justice for All. He's practiced those 2 songs on RB quite a bit and does pretty good on real drums.

Big Dangerous
02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
OK,
So hitting a piece of rubber with a stick is to a particular rhythm is completely different than hitting a piece of plastic with a stick to a particular rhythm.

See, because to me, it seems like they're very similar mechanical actions.

As such, I'd fully expect to hear anecdotal evidence of "Rock Star" drumming making a non-drummer more proficient at drumming (as rage2 has provided). In the exact same way, and for the exact same reasons, I'd suspect that your friends who are skilled at playing the drums would quickly become proficient at playing "Rock Star". Tell you what, I have 2 drum kits in my basement.. a TV... bring rock band over, play your song on rock band, then, try to play it on the drums. I'm not really bothered by this, but I'd hate to see you trying to buddy up with real musicians dropping your line about how you're a good drummer on 'rock band'. As for "proficient" drumming, that's a relative term and depends completely on who you talk to :)

Rage, nice video. What kind of camcorder do you have??

sexualbanana
02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Rock Band has helped me visualize some of the beats that I've had trouble with

Big Dangerous
02-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Clinics work well for that too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6c5_5WdAmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ues2RBpXQoI

rage2
02-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Tell you what, I have 2 drum kits in my basement.. a TV... bring rock band over, play your song on rock band, then, try to play it on the drums. I'm not really bothered by this, but I'd hate to see you trying to buddy up with real musicians dropping your line about how you're a good drummer on 'rock band'. As for "proficient" drumming, that's a relative term and depends completely on who you talk to :)

Rage, nice video. What kind of camcorder do you have??
I don't think you understand what we're trying to say... we're not saying Rock Band will make you a rock star drummer overnight. It's a much more fun path for teaching the basics of drumming so you can learn faster. That was the whole point of me saying rock band can help you learn to play drums. And to prove this quote of yours wrong:

Rock band won't do fuck all for you or anyone.

I didn't use a camcorder for the video, just my digital camera.

sr20s14zenki
02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I believe rock band would help a bit, because of the following:

1- It teaches you patterns, thats one of the fundementals to drumming

2- it teaches you to use different limbs at different times from eachother, thusly, you can get over the fact that one hand always does what it wants, in a video game (=

It wont make you a good drummer, but it can help you with some of the hurdles, the biggest being limb independance.

kerry
02-08-2008, 01:41 PM

hahah call me a purist I guess lol. I still use a pillow for a practice pad.

A purist? I think the word you were looking for is hater. Dudes like you piss me off sometime because you ruin our fun for no good reason. Because you want to flaunt your talent? Or maybe because you're just scared of something that's completely foreign to you... and that you might plain old fucking suck at a game where your "skill" is up to the test against kids. Hell, [GaGe] on here is WAY better than me at Guitar Hero. Do I care? Nope. More stoked that he's learning real guitar than anything. rage is pretty damn good at drums compared to before Rockband and I can attest the truth of him SUCKING before Rockband. He can hold beats, do simple fills and is better than some other beginners I've seen before. He's not a phenom but he's certainly got the basics to get going from here on. All from Rockband.

Rockband is GREAT for drummers to learn better rhythm if they're not very good to begin with. And for ABSOLUTE beginners it teaches them they very important basics of drumming. Yes you can get this from teachers, but playing video games is way more fun than learning rudiments from a douche bag teacher. I can even say that Guitar Hero helped ME with some techniques I often neglect. Like proper pinky use, and being more accurate with odd timed runs.

Why can't you just see it as "hey these guys are going to start liking instruments and probably want to get and learn real ones because of a game". Games like Rockband could very well save our slowly dying music scene. The next generation of kids could very well end up being insane musicians but a purist like yourself would just shatter their dream with comments like "Rock band won't do fuck all for you or anyone" And yes, that is a very plausible outcome to you saying such a thing to a young drummer/guitarist/singer. Stop fucking hating.

Yes I'm obviously pissed off at your shitty attitude because dudes making cocksucker comments like you did almost made me quit guitar when I was younger. It's fucking discouraging to hear shit like that especially from someone with experience. Any kid will be able to tell you that it's easy to want to quit after someone shoots you down like that. It's not a matter of being not strong enough to pursue. You should be a role model not a hater.

Since you're such a purist, I'd like to nominate you to post videos and help players with any questions or issues they're having with their playing. I mean a true "purist" should have vast knowledge of the instrument and would be more than willing to give instruction and aid. I'm a musician, and I'd like to see what you have to give to the new drummers. I imagine this won't be an issue since you already offered it to the first guy who posted about Rock Band.

On a different note, Darkane I wanna see vids, you're a sick fucking drummer.

I'll post a vid later of the And Justice For All or Welcome Home. Maybe both.

Big Dangerous
02-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Ok Kerry, Sheld et all. This was a thread about drums.

You know what pisses me off? When a couple of new players who can't hold a tempo through one bar come into a thread about "drums" and start cracking off about their Xbox RockBand adventures. Sure, I could have just laughed at you and showed this thread to other musicians I know, instead I do you a favour and tell you ways to get better on a REAL drum kit... now I'm an asshole. Whatever.

Someone asked how to develop dexterity, I explained what worked for me. Not ruining any fun at all. This thread wasn't fucking about rock band it was about drums.

Love how you're trying to make me feel like a high school bully by associating me with someone that made fun of you on your guitar.

I encourage anyone and everyone to play. But telling people they'll get good on the drums playing rock band is no better than a blind guy walking a blind guy across the street. I know you guys own the place, but you can thank me later.

What a waste of a good thread. My apologies if feelings got hurt.

kerry
02-08-2008, 02:15 PM
"Rock Band won't do fuck all for you or anyone"
That's about drums AND the game.

My point is you're just attacking something, that you don't know anything about and is a good tool to get kids started.

You're not a high school bully but for someone that's 26 years old, I apologize for expecting a little more maturity especially when it comes to a passion of theirs.

Big Dangerous
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by kerry
"Rock Band won't do fuck all for you or anyone"
That's about drums AND the game.

My point is you're just attacking something, that you don't know anything about and is a good tool to get kids started.

You're not a high school bully but for someone that's 26 years old, I apologize for expecting a little more maturity especially when it comes to a passion of theirs. Fair enough. :thumbsup:

rage2
02-08-2008, 02:31 PM
You know what pisses me off? When a couple of new players who can't hold a tempo through one bar come into a thread about "drums" and start cracking off about their Xbox RockBand adventures.
You make it sound like I think I'm Tommy Lee because of rock band. :rofl:

Again, I suck at real drums. I've made that pretty clear in this thread. You're missing the point.

TKRIS
02-08-2008, 02:42 PM

You're missing the point.

Maybe we need to get a bass player in here to explain it to the drummer...

Oh hell yeah. I said it.:poosie:

Big Dangerous
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Again, I suck at real drums. I've made that pretty clear in this thread. You're missing the point.
No, I was just seeing what the response would be if I started hating on RB. If you've only been playing for 2 months, that's really good.

Maybe we need to get a bass player in here to explain it to the drummer...

Oh hell yeah. I said it.:poosie:
hahahaha whatever

:poosie:

sexualbanana
02-08-2008, 02:51 PM

No. You're the Travis Barker of Rock Band. And we all know he's the greatest drummer in the world. :rofl:

core_upt
02-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I've been drumming for about 15 years, about 5 of those in touring/recording bands.

The ONLY way to get better at drums is to play. Play everything. Play your hands on your steering wheel while driving, tap on your desk in class until you drive everyone around you crazy, play Rockband (which is OK for learning drums, but damn frustrating when you can 'out play' the game and you lose because of it! ).

A good practice technique I have heard is ipod headphones in, then noise reducing headphones over top and play along to your ipod on shuffle.

Listen to bands for inspiration. Learn to appreciate different styles of music. A band can suck and have a good drummer.

Do you like certain drummers? Why? What about them makes you like them?? One of my faves is Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers - he's really simple in his playing, though very skilled, and has an amazing drive and groove behind his beats.

I have a hard time playing songs exactly as i hear them; I can play the main parts dead on and play in time, but there are always little things that I add in or take out on my own. I've never really played others peoples stuss, but rather played it my own way.

My next hurdle in drums is double kick - I've never really been able to do it and am slowly getting the hang of it, but it has been a tough learning curve for me.

My gear:

Acoustic

Ayotte Custom drums (sizes width x depth)
18 x 20 kick
10 x 8 tom
10 x 10 tom
14 x 14 floor tom
Evans heads tom and bottom

Snares

Ayotte Keplinger 14 x 7 7mm Steel snare w/ wood hoops
Yamaha Akira Jimbo Signature Snare

Cymbals

Sabian HH 20" Leopard Ride
Zildjian K Custom 20" Ride
Sabian AAX 8" Splash
Sabian AA 10" Splash
Sabian HH 13" Quick Hats
Sabian AA 16" Medium Crash
Sabian AA 16" Rock Crash
Sabian AAX 18" Stage Crash
Sabian AAX 19" Metal Crash
Sabian AA 14" Mini Chinese
Sabian AA 18" Chinese
Zildjian 6" Zil-Bell

Hardware:

Tama Iron Cobra single chain double kick pedal
Pearl single chain hi hit stnad
Gibraltar throne
Gibralltar rack
various stands from Mapex, Tama, DW and Pearl

Sticks

Zildjian 5B wood tip
Vic Firth 5B wood tip

Electronic

Roland TD-3 with mesh snare, additional cymbal and upgraded hi-hat trigger.

Big Dangerous
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

My next hurdle in drums is double kick - I've never really been able to do it and am slowly getting the hang of it, but it has been a tough learning curve for me.

Awesome dude. Check out Gene Hoglan from Strapping young lad hahah 400 pounder

My kits:

Acoustic
Ludwig
18x22 Kick
16 Toms

Pacific Maple (Mexican DW's), cheap as hell at l&m (sizes width x depth)
18 x 24 kick
12 x 8 tom
14 x 10 floor tom
16 x 14 floor tom
Evans EMAD Head
DW Resonant

Snare:
1973 Acrolite
Ludwig Chrome ~1979

Cymbals
Sabian Leopard Ride <-Yes
Zildjian K Custom 20&quot; Ride<- Yes!
Zildjian 17 Dark Crash
Sabian AA Rock Crash
Paiste Hi Hats
Meinl Hi Hats

Hardware:
DW5000 Double <- Absolute junk.
Pearl Powershifter double
Vintage Ludwig single
Vintage ludwig hi hat stand

Sticks

Vader NightStick
Vic Firth Rock

There's more, just can't remember them off hand?

xmattx8
02-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

No. You're the Travis Barker of Rock Band. And we all know he's the greatest drummer in the world. :rofl:

BAHAHAHAH

but anyways. my gretch catalina maple kit.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2458/dsc00107qi2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8626/dsc00109ff4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1295/dsc00108oj6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

maybe a video later if im not feeling too incredibly lazy

sr20s14zenki
02-09-2008, 07:53 PM
God i cant wait till next year when my cymbals and stands are paid off, then its time to get a real drum set (=. Then the new set will come with more cymbal stands, and i can have even more cymbals. I will be keeping all of my stands, getting rid of just the drums themselves.

^^i see you have double kick, Niiiiice. Nice heads as well, i run the G2 clears, LOVE the sound.

I would do a video...but i cant really play to complete songs persay, i can play some pretty technical beats tho. Anybody try to play Tool- Stinkfist? The hithat work is HARRRD, then again ive only been playing just over 2 months, may not seem as hard to some of you pro's

xmattx8
02-09-2008, 08:16 PM
i normally dont even play to music and play on own stuff. ill make a video with some double kick in it

pyro
02-09-2008, 08:25 PM
whats a easy song with a steady beat to practice my ryhthm.

sr20s14zenki
02-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Dood, do yourself a favor and get a metronome, thats the first thing i reccomend.

second,

allaboutdrums.co.uk

learn those rythms, dont play to music, learn a few rythms first

(=

sexualbanana
02-09-2008, 08:59 PM
whats a easy song with a steady beat to practice my ryhthm.

Silverchair has a pretty steady beat. More specifically Freak. Plus it's a good song to rage drum to.

mazda_maniac
02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
www.drumbum.com

neverending tips etc....

Another good site....

www.drummingweb.com

xmattx8
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
woo doublebass, gotta kinda listen hard tho. Ill post one with better sound tommarow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpzSRYeVmU

sr20s14zenki
02-09-2008, 10:24 PM
^^^^^^^^Nice technique, i like (=

i hope to be that far soon. Double bass is still foreign to me.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
woo doublebass, gotta kinda listen hard tho. Ill post one with better sound tommarow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpzSRYeVmU

Oh yah i was gonna ask you, what technique do you use, heel-toe, slide?

im working on heel-toe right now, i think i pretty much have the jyst of if, just gotta speed it up i guess. I have no problem with the hand work, besides getting to my boring rudiments

:thumbsup:

Darkane
02-10-2008, 08:56 PM

On a different note, Darkane I wanna see vids, you're a sick fucking drummer.

Ack not right now :nut:

Haven't really drummed in 6 months thanks to moving up north. Soon when I get my shit together I'm bringing a kit up :D

xmattx8
02-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Rudiments are so much fun, I probably spend more time on my practice pad then my drums(mostly cause im lazy). I dunno what technique I use, I put my feet on the pedals; lift my heels; giv'r.

Big Dangerous
02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Silverchair has a pretty steady beat. More specifically Freak. Plus it's a good song to rage drum to.

Dude... Madman.

Big Dangerous
02-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
God i cant wait till next year when my cymbals and stands are paid off, then its time to get a real drum set (=. Then the new set will come with more cymbal stands, and i can have even more cymbals. I will be keeping all of my stands, getting rid of just the drums themselves.

^^i see you have double kick, Niiiiice. Nice heads as well, i run the G2 clears, LOVE the sound.

I would do a video...but i cant really play to complete songs persay, i can play some pretty technical beats tho. Anybody try to play Tool- Stinkfist? The hithat work is HARRRD, then again ive only been playing just over 2 months, may not seem as hard to some of you pro's Tool is tough to play dude. I'm working on Stinkfist and The Pot right now actually... The more you listen to the songs, the more you find in the drums. Really neat.. but difficult.

Edit:

Here's one kit
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/pukeblast/DSC05563.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/pukeblast/DSC05565.jpg

I'm not much a fan of people who can't tune their drums either... those guys that load the kick drum with pillows and blankets.. that's fucking brutal.

xmattx8
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Most people dampen there bass drum no? Not saying I dont know how to tune or anything but he only time i really see no pillows or anything is at concerts where they need to be loud or when micing. People use dampening is used to get the sound they want or to just quiet there bass drum, can only go so far with tuning. I have one small blanket and a towel in my drum cause it was the only way to get the sound I want. My bassdrum is fairly large tho.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
^^^ i have the beginning to stinkfist, and the chorus, 5 release on 5th on hihat, 6 on hihat, release on 6th. Hard as fuck to get it tho, i had to slow it right down, but now im up to tempo. Danny just throws so many god damn fills in and i gotta get them all =(

still having probs with the beginning tho.... 4 hi-hat hits, relase on the 4th, and repeat. go to youtube and search for "teddyz stinkfist"

this 10 year old kid plays it almost flawlessly, but im using him to learn from.

Is that an Evan's EQ on your bass? thats what im running, love it, along with my G2 Clears.

heres my p.o.s set haha gotta start somewhere

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/ca18det240sx/DSC00287.jpg

heres my bass drum, Evan's EQ head, this is before i got my double kick.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/ca18det240sx/DSC00286.jpg

Darkane
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
^^^ i have the beginning to stinkfist, and the chorus, 5 release on 5th on hihat, 6 on hihat, release on 6th. Hard as fuck to get it tho, i had to slow it right down, but now im up to tempo. Danny just throws so many god damn fills in and i gotta get them all =(

still having probs with the beginning tho.... 4 hi-hat hits, relase on the 4th, and repeat. go to youtube and search for &quot;teddyz stinkfist&quot;

this 10 year old kid plays it almost flawlessly, but im using him to learn from.

Is that an Evan's EQ on your bass? thats what im running, love it, along with my G2 Clears.

When I started out I played 3 songs and got pretty good by playing them:

For whom the Bell tolls, Sad but ture, and Paranoid.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2008, 09:57 PM
^^^yah i did stinkfist just to get some more cymbal independance, and it REALLLY helped, i can throw in doubles now...yay..

mostly right now im concentrating on alot of Chevelle songs....the thing about their drummer, he is VERY kick drum intensive....i find he uses alot of offbeat cymbal work up top, but he throws in a lot of bass drum beats with wierd timing and stuff....takes a bit to learn/get around the fact that you are REALLY using the bass drum to accentuate and not the snare or cymbals

Big Dangerous
02-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Most people dampen there bass drum no? Not saying I dont know how to tune or anything but he only time i really see no pillows or anything is at concerts where they need to be loud or when micing. People use dampening is used to get the sound they want or to just quiet there bass drum, can only go so far with tuning. I have one small blanket and a towel in my drum cause it was the only way to get the sound I want. My bassdrum is fairly large tho.

The most I'd ever use is an EQ pad, or like the dude in that other pic, a bit of a towel..

Drum tuning sucks, but it's worth getting to know or worth the money if you gotta pay someone to do it.

The reason I say is because last night I saw this kit that had a kick drum FULL, like fucking FULL of blankets, sweaters and other shit... looked awful and sounded disgusting. There's a reason the kick drum is not just some big fucking piece of plastic.

If you look at the pro setups.. none of them have anything in the kick, they tune it.. and throw a mic in (maybe put it through a compressor). I think the right skins and the right tune, it should sound pro.

When we hosted a BotB, there was never ANYTHING in the kick drum.. and it was going through a 5000 watt rig with huge mains and HUGE subs.

Also, if anyone wants an okay kick pedal for cheap I'm selling a DW 4000 for $150.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Anybody have a decent snare drum? my burswood is a piece of shit.

MrSector9
02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
i have been thinking about getting a set to play around with.... one of my buddies is becoming pretty well known for his drumming and thats good cuz the guy works his ass off at it.

here is a link to him, well a couple links but mostly becasue i played in bands with this guy and now he is actually endorsed by alot of big names in drumming, really a dream come true for him, plus i leant him some of the money for his first set of double kicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTOOLJTaoPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omrGNaNQaXM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3HhK4cV3M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMct9bQMq5s

Big Dangerous
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Mike Machine fucking rocks!

MrSector9
02-10-2008, 10:53 PM
i should also state that since i have known the guy he has played drums at least 5-6 hours EVERYDAY, been playing since he was 3, very supportive parents usually never complaining about the noise.

and also he taps on EVERYTHING around him at all times, it can be annoying as hell.

xmattx8
02-10-2008, 11:08 PM

The most I'd ever use is an EQ pad, or like the dude in that other pic, a bit of a towel..

Drum tuning sucks, but it's worth getting to know or worth the money if you gotta pay someone to do it.

The reason I say is because last night I saw this kit that had a kick drum FULL, like fucking FULL of blankets, sweaters and other shit... looked awful and sounded disgusting. There's a reason the kick drum is not just some big fucking piece of plastic.

If you look at the pro setups.. none of them have anything in the kick, they tune it.. and throw a mic in (maybe put it through a compressor). I think the right skins and the right tune, it should sound pro.

When we hosted a BotB, there was never ANYTHING in the kick drum.. and it was going through a 5000 watt rig with huge mains and HUGE subs.

Also, if anyone wants an okay kick pedal for cheap I'm selling a DW 4000 for $150.

Yeah drum tuning if definitly worth it to learn. Its not that hard and you can change the sound of your drums to your prefrernce. There was a band playing with protest the hero whos drummer had his bass drum stuffed to the top and you couldnt even hear the thing, they had to rip it all out and it still sounded like crap. No other band ive seen play has anything more then a towel.

Anyone got videos of themselves just jamin around or anything. I just set my camera up and sat down and thats what came out, ill prob make more and find a place for my camera with better sound.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I could do a video...but you all have to promise not to laugh at me :bigpimp:

im not that great......yet....

xmattx8
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9

he taps on EVERYTHING around him at all times, it can be annoying as hell.

haha i do the exact same and wondered if i annoy anyone. i probably do.

MrSector9
02-10-2008, 11:21 PM
no you definatly do, especially if you ever sit in the backseat of a car. or eat lunch in public..

even if you are alone you are annoying someone with it :)

Big Dangerous
02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I bought a USB condenser mic.. I might throw a vid together. It will probably suck balls though.

sr20Zenki... you look like you could use a double kick.. DW4000.. I'll give you a deal.. 120 bucks!

xmattx8
02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
^^^^ good deal. Dw is good shit i got the 5000

haha damn, I feel like a jackass now.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2008, 11:41 PM
I bought a USB condenser mic.. I might throw a vid together. It will probably suck balls though.

sr20Zenki... you look like you could use a double kick.. DW4000.. I'll give you a deal.. 120 bucks!

I have a double kick.....pearl

http://pearldrums.com/p2000-2-bc.htm

i like it actually....its pretty decent hardware for the price...

Big Dangerous
02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I just wanna step it up to the 9000. I've been waiting to buy one.. they aren't cheap. .but now is as good a time as any.

sr20s14zenki
02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Ok, here it is....2 months of 1 or two hours a day plus practice pad time....yes i drop the sticks at the end....2 months...COME ON!!!

:D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-uOdmfoI1T8

pros, feel free to critique (=

Big Dangerous
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
How long you been playing dude?

sr20s14zenki
02-11-2008, 12:05 AM
about 2 1/2 months...and thats a maybe, im leaning more to 2 months..cant remember haha

Big Dangerous
02-11-2008, 12:15 AM
That's not bad man!

sr20s14zenki
02-11-2008, 12:16 AM

im trying...i can do better....once i can get the intro and fills properly on Stinkfist...ill do a video.....so damn hard to play

mazda_maniac
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Good stuff for two months man!

Work on some altered bass drum rythyms to spice it up a bit!

You'll be flying in no time if you keep it up!

sr20s14zenki
02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks, right now im concentrating on heel toe...thats my practice routine for the next couple of weeks...that and some metronome practice, as boring as it is, i need to do it sooner or later. As of tomorro night im back on my rudiments practice for 1 hour a night...ive been slacking on them....:rolleyes:

mazda_maniac
02-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Did you check out the site I posted earlier up?

www.drummingweb.com

He's got some good sticking excercises based on endurance that will boost your speed and stamina in the long run. Try messing around with your rudiments as your fills too..... that way they can be a little bit more fun.

Another thing with rudiments if your not already doing it is to incorporate your feet.... don't just do it with your hands...

ie.
Paradiddle;

Instead of RLRR LRLL

Try..... RFLHRFRF LHRFLHLH etc.etc... I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

Keep it up.

Big Dangerous
02-11-2008, 12:42 AM
yeah, a paradiddle isn't just for one drum and hands lol.. I didn't find that out for about a year of playing.

Stinkfist intro.. I'll try and video my rendition of it tomorrow lol.

xmattx8
02-11-2008, 03:05 AM
what do the 'h' and 'f' stand for?

sr20s14zenki your well on your way.

sr20s14zenki
02-11-2008, 07:27 AM
^^^^"Hand", and "Foot"

mazda_maniac
02-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Yeah Hand and Foot sorry, should've been more specific.

xmattx8
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
so what do you hit when its an H. Im still confused. Im guessing the F is bass drum?

mazda_maniac
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
R=Right
L=Left
H=Hand
F=Foot

Therefore

RFLHRFRF

equals

Right Foot, Left Hand, Right Foot, Right Foot.

xmattx8
02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
to confusing. I like my music written out properly when trying to play.

mazda_maniac
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
It's not that confusing and thats how it is written in plenty of resources....

Its a paradiddle mixing your limps up instead of just using your hands. Syncopation is a great thing to help with multiple limbs rythym.

Darkane
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, here it is....2 months of 1 or two hours a day plus practice pad time....yes i drop the sticks at the end....2 months...COME ON!!!

:D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-uOdmfoI1T8

pros, feel free to critique (=

Good fucking job bro! :thumbsup:

Oh wear ear plugs or muffs. Truuuuuuust me lol :banghead:

Big Dangerous
02-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Good fucking job bro! :thumbsup:

Oh wear ear plugs or muffs. Truuuuuuust me lol :banghead: What?

hahah

Bought some new shit tonight. Long didn't have any 9000's in stock, but I couldn't deal with that junker 4000 anymore..
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/pukeblast/DSC05566.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/pukeblast/DSC05569.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/pukeblast/DSC05567.jpg

mazda_maniac
02-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Money burnin' a hole in your pocket for a pedal? haha

Wearing plugs is smart to protect your hearing.

sr20s14zenki
02-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Nice pedals man (= youre gonna love them.

im hoping to god my pearl footboards are long enuff for my big ass feet to do heel toe, i have it down pat, but my ankle muscles get sore really fast, but ya i have trouble doing it with my shoes on, but i think once i learn with sock feet ill move on to shoes haha

for a solution of ankle muscles, i have an old beater pedal attached to a board under my computer desk, and i have the springs maxed out....i figure if i sit and push on that every time im on the computer, alternating between left and right, i should build up the muscles pretty quick. I can feel the burn after pushing for like 2 minutes so i think its working haha

Edit: Oh god do i need to go get a throne, my burswood one failed under my heavy ass, so right now im using a computer chair with the back removed =( but it rolls around

Big Dangerous
02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice pedals man (= youre gonna love them.

im hoping to god my pearl footboards are long enuff for my big ass feet to do heel toe, i have it down pat, but my ankle muscles get sore really fast, but ya i have trouble doing it with my shoes on, but i think once i learn with sock feet ill move on to shoes haha

for a solution of ankle muscles, i have an old beater pedal attached to a board under my computer desk, and i have the springs maxed out....i figure if i sit and push on that every time im on the computer, alternating between left and right, i should build up the muscles pretty quick. I can feel the burn after pushing for like 2 minutes so i think its working haha

Edit: Oh god do i need to go get a throne, my burswood one failed under my heavy ass, so right now im using a computer chair with the back removed =( but it rolls around
Thanks dudes.

I messed around with the cams last night.. tried the red ones, black and blue ones.. I've got the springs pretty well maxxed. This thing is a smooth mother.

I can't heel toe with these, or with anything I've used. I've got size 14 feet.

I worry with stools that the fucking seat will break off and I'll end up with the base going straight up my ass. :thumbsdow

sr20s14zenki
02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
^^yah thats pretty much what happened to mine, the square base that bolts to the bottom of the upholstered seat part, it cracked thru the wood, and started making things very uncomfortable.......thats as far as im going with it hahahaha

yah i love my double kick, i think i have the model down from yours tho, mine didnt come with cams, but i know i can change them, i just need to buy the cams i think

xmattx8
02-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
It's not that confusing and thats how it is written in plenty of resources....

Its a paradiddle mixing your limps up instead of just using your hands. Syncopation is a great thing to help with multiple limbs rythym.

Just saying if im reading music I prefer it with notes. You can read sheet music can't you?

mazda_maniac
02-12-2008, 11:30 PM
By the way Get a burger with real meat hahaha
jk

Big Dangerous
02-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
By the way Get a burger with real meat hahaha
jk LOL I thought it was a chicken burger dude..

mazda_maniac
02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Sure sure.
Just so you know I'm gonna go play double bass in my new Alligator skin sneakers. HAHA.

Joking.

I can't even bash vegetarians....

I did it for 6 months as a bet... and it actually wasn't that hard....

kerry
02-14-2008, 11:28 AM
XAcYVObSmcA

Sweet fucking christ,
Who wants to make music like this with me?

BigBearWest
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey guys I am interested in get a kit. I was looking at the Yamaha DTXplorer. The reason I want a set of vdrum is I don't wanna piss off other ppl in my house. My budget is around a 1000. I went to L&M and they have it for 699. I was doing some research and can get a 3 zone snare for 80 and a 2 zone cymbal for me ride for 80 as well. What do you guys think of a kit like that. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Roberto

sexualbanana
02-14-2008, 02:32 PM

Who wants to make SWEET music <snip> with me?

Edited for clarity... Ew. :rofl:

xmattx8
02-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by BigBearWest
Hey guys I am interested in get a kit. I was looking at the Yamaha DTXplorer. The reason I want a set of vdrum is I don't wanna piss off other ppl in my house. My budget is around a 1000. I went to L&amp;M and they have it for 699. I was doing some research and can get a 3 zone snare for 80 and a 2 zone cymbal for me ride for 80 as well. What do you guys think of a kit like that. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Roberto

vdrums arent for the long run. After alot of use the sensors slowly start dying and stop working. They are easier to play then acoustic drums tho. (perfect sound everytime). L&M is one of the best music stores around (I only buy shit in lethbridge if I have to) and that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

sr20s14zenki
02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Well guys, I GOT TOYS!!!

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/ca18det240sx/DSC00490.jpg

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/ca18det240sx/DSC00493.jpg

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/ca18det240sx/DSC00491.jpg

God i needed those (=

I LOVE the sound of my new snare...LOVE IT.

Big Dangerous
02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
XAcYVObSmcA

Sweet fucking christ,
Who wants to make music like this with me?

Lol check out this guy

snyQlLGquHs

Edit: Fixed for you