PDA

View Full Version : The New Hyundai Genesis - 375HP

Pages : [1] 2 3

89coupe
02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm really impressed with this car. Saw the commercial tonight during the Superbowl. Priced the same as a 3series Bimmer.

http://www.hyundaigenesis.ca/

asuth077
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Looks good. The Audi R8 looked good too.

funkedelic
02-03-2008, 11:05 PM
it looks like they were trying really hard to duplicate the 3 series from the side. Its nasty looking though, esspecially the front, plus its a hyundai!

gpomp
02-03-2008, 11:06 PM
depends on pricing...

finboy
02-03-2008, 11:09 PM
i like it

dino_martini
02-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Depends on pricing, but I kind of like it. Not the front so much, but the side an rear are ok looking. 6 speed automatic, limited slip differential, logic 7 sound system, sounds like a pretty good package to me. If its as reliable as the other Hyundai's, then it will be a really good car.

Originally posted by funkedelic
plus its a hyundai!

Whats wrong with Hyundai?

89coupe
02-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Well their old flagship car the Azera could be had fully loaded for $40K, so if they are saying this car is priced the same as a 3 series, I'm guessing around $50K

A 375HP luxury car for $50K is amazing if you ask me.

schocker
02-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Hyundai is taking a big step here. It looks like it is going to be an excellent vehicle and we will have to wait and see how consumers look at it. The build quality looks excellent, the engine should be great and it looks pretty damn good, and a RWD V8 luxo cruiser for that money is un-heard of.

Mibz
02-03-2008, 11:18 PM
They mention during the ad that they're comparing pricing to the 335i which is $42,000 base. I think it looks good but I just couldn't feel good riding around in a Hyundai. I care too much about the badge on my car.

Redlyne_jr
02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by finboy
i like it

i like it too, yes its a hyundai but pretty nice at that..

Palmiros
02-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow.. looks impressive.

"2008 Hyundai Genesis Prices: Hyundai has hinted that Genesis will have a starting price just under $30,000."

Chris Ng
02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
They mention during the ad that they're comparing pricing to the 335i which is $42,000 base. I think it looks good but I just couldn't feel good riding around in a Hyundai. I care too much about the badge on my car.

I'm sure Hyundai felt the same way.. First thing I noticed was the that the car had no badging on the front .. Perhaps this was done purposely..

anhsicun
02-03-2008, 11:31 PM
i would buy it, its a nice car

ryanallan
02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Ya it looks nice !
It will be a great lease car.
I dont think I would buy one though.

Hyundai is really stepping up their game.
This car, and their new RWD coupe, are going to be hits.

Palmiros
02-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ng

I'm sure Hyundai felt the same way.. First thing I noticed was the that the car had no badging on the front .. Perhaps this was done purposely..

Werd. Anyone else notice the lack of badging?

ryanallan
02-03-2008, 11:39 PM
^^ In the superbowl add, the car had some badge on the hood that looked like the Bentley wings...

Canmorite
02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Nice 3-series rip-off.

holden
02-03-2008, 11:41 PM
5 years ago, i would have laughed at the thought of owning a hyundai... but they've really got some quality cars now...

i'd still feel a bit funny about the hyundai name, but i think the stigma will be gone in a few years... it wasn't too long ago that toyota or honda had that same problem

Idratherbsidewayz
02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Looks good to me, we'll have to see if there are problems once it comes out.

95EG6P
It looks nice, a good direction for Hyundai.:D

gpomp
info on grill: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/18/hyundai-genesis-gets-new-grille-just-for-detroit-what-gives/

but since nobody here reads links i'll paste the info here:

When the production version of the Hyundai Genesis was revealed, debate over its styling was a hot topic. Of particular interest to commenters was the grille, dubbed the "Klingon forehead" by some of you, which has a vertical center spine with three horizontal bars that turn down when they meet from either side. We instantly noticed the absence of Hyundai's logo on the grille and surmised that perhaps the Korean automaker felt that the presence of its logo would somehow divert attention away from the levels of luxury and refinement that people might normally associate with Hyundais.

With that in mind, we were surprised to find this Genesis V6 model with a different grille on the floor of the 2008 Detroit Auto Show. When asked what it was doing there, Hyundai responded that the badgeless grille is the only Genesis grille for now, but this version was done up as a kind of market research exercise. We were also told that it had been taken out of Hyundai's display before the Detroit Auto Show opened up to the public.

Well, we've decided to help Hyundai figure out which grille is preferred most by consumers. Vote for your preference below and, who knows, Hyundai might be listening.

Xtrema
02-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Good effort, while there's nothing wrong with Hyundai's, I won't pay more than $50K for the top model with ALL options. The Hyundai brand still scream bargain basement.

The car is still a rip off of all other luxo designs. And they gotta get rid of that cheap ass LCD clock on the dash.

I'll wait for review of the platform but that 3.8L V6 never won any awards or accolades. So I doubt the V8 will either.

Chris Ng
02-03-2008, 11:55 PM
While the badgless front grill isn't the prettiest grill out there, comparing the pictures of the badgless vs "Flying H" grill.. I'll take the badgless...
Maybe it's just me.. but the moment you place the "H" on the front, it just completely cheapened the whole look and feel of the car...

CelicaST-162
02-04-2008, 12:00 AM
VIP styling worthy

rage2
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I just couldn't feel good riding around in a Hyundai. I care too much about the badge on my car.
So out of curiousity, what are you driving now?

Originally posted by Chris Ng
I believe north america gets Hyundai badges up front too, but so far it's not on their site.

Originally posted by Palmiros
Werd. Anyone else notice the lack of badging?
The Korean and Chinese market Genesis has no Hyundai badging. The North American market ones do. At least on the rear.

Look on the site that 89coupe posted:

http://www.hyundaigenesis.ca/

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Genesis Coupe! 300hp RWD, sport tuned suspension, big ass Brembo brakes, LSD for the price of a RSX! Targetting the STi, Evo X, G37, 335i, etc. for much less money.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Genesiscoupe.jpg

89coupe
02-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Genesis Coupe! 300hp RWD, sport tuned suspension, big ass Brembo brakes, LSD for the price of a RSX! Targetting the STi, Evo X, G37, 335i, etc. for much less money.

Its 375HP!!!

Xtrema
02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Its 375HP!!!

No V8 planned on the coupe yet. Just 3.8L V6 with 300+ hp which will be similar to G37. Now if they can pull it in for mid $30s.

blownz
02-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I actually find that it looks like a G35 from the side and a M35/45 from the rear. Overall kind of bland looking which is typical Hyundai. Interior looks better than what they currently have but I'm willing to bet when you get in it will feel as cheap as every other Hyundai.

Also for those that think the price is good, just wait a few years. Resale will probably be as pathetic as every other Hyundai.

They are getting better, but it still is 'just a Hyundai' imo.

89coupe
02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by blownz
I actually find that it looks like a G35 from the side and a M35/45 from the rear. Overall kind of bland looking which is typical Hyundai. Interior looks better than what they currently have but I'm willing to bet when you get in it will feel as cheap as every other Hyundai.

Also for those that think the price is good, just wait a few years. Resale will probably be as pathetic as every other Hyundai.

And that is why you pay $15-20K less then the competition. But, its sure will look funny when the 375HP Hyundai blows the doors off the overpriced BMW, Lexus & Mercedes.

89coupe
02-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Here is a nicer photo of the Coupe

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/november2007/3-hyundai-genesis-coupe-concept.jpg

blownz
02-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Straight line speed is just one aspect of it. Isn't that what import drivers always tell the domestic muscle car fans? Or are the import guys now like the mullet guys? :D j/k

There is always going to be a cheap car that is fast (SRT-4 anyone) and a great bang for the buck. But it doesn't make it better.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have 375hp in a car for that price. But I am willing to give it up to avoid the low refinement, poor quality, resale, handling and whatever else will probably go with it. (yes that is just an assumption based on virtually all other Hyundai's ever made and I could very well be proved wrong...but the odds are....)

*edit* the girl is the only thing I would like to ride in that pic :thumbsup:

Canmorite
02-04-2008, 09:39 AM
The coupe looks 10* better. What a suprise from Hyundai.

Aleks
02-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Dodge Neon?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149444

:dunno:

rage2
02-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Straight line speed is just one aspect of it. Isn't that what import drivers always tell the domestic muscle car fans? Or are the import guys now like the mullet guys? :D j/k
Straight line speed is more desirable 99% of the time. Very few ppl take their cars out on the track, and it's the only time good handling would shine.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have 375hp in a car for that price. But I am willing to give it up to avoid the low refinement, poor quality, resale, handling and whatever else will probably go with it. (yes that is just an assumption based on virtually all other Hyundai's ever made and I could very well be proved wrong...but the odds are....)
Hyundai has a much better warranty than pretty much any other brand, so quality isn't an issue. Refinement is a question mark, won't know until we see the Genesis in the showrooms. Photos could be deceiving, but the pics so far look pretty damn nice. As for resale, have you seen the resale value of BMW and Mercedes? It's brutal. Hondas get better resale value than the high end marques.

rage2
02-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I just couldn't feel good riding around in a Hyundai. I care too much about the badge on my car.

Originally posted by Aleks
Dodge Neon?

:rofl:

That made my day.

Xtrema
02-04-2008, 09:45 AM

Do people still care about resale? Don't people just lease most luxury cars anyway?

And the fact is, the high price the car, the more you lose.

From most I see, you can lose $17K on a $60K BMW in 2 years. But losing $17K on a $35K Hyundai may take up to 4-5 years. If the performance number is close, doesn't that scream bargain? It's the same reason people are drove to the 335. It's a bargain for what you get.

Xtrema
02-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Dodge Neon?

:dunno:

:rofl: I didn't know Dodge drivers are in a position to bash Hyundai.

HRD2PLZ
02-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Its still a Hyundai though... I don't think they are quite "there" yet... :dunno:

finboy
02-04-2008, 10:00 AM

funny thing is, most people said the same thing when the srt4 came out

89coupe
02-04-2008, 10:05 AM
The interior looks pretty damn tight as well.

blownz
02-04-2008, 10:12 AM

Straight line speed is more desirable 99% of the time. Very few ppl take their cars out on the track, and it's the only time good handling would shine.

99% is a bit high there... I could put a supercharger on my full sized suv and it would be quicker than my 3 series but it would still not be more desirable 99% of the time.

Hyundai has a much better warranty than pretty much any other brand, so quality isn't an issue. Refinement is a question mark, won't know until we see the Genesis in the showrooms. Photos could be deceiving, but the pics so far look pretty damn nice. As for resale, have you seen the resale value of BMW and Mercedes? It's brutal. Hondas get better resale value than the high end marques.

The long warranty is only on the powertrain so if the rest of the car is falling apart but you still have warranty on the engine then quality is still an issue. I have been in a few 2-3 year old Hyundai's and I wouldn't want to be driving them.

And I agree resale can be bad on MB and BMW, but they aren't worth about 50% after 2 years.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Do people still care about resale? Don't people just lease most luxury cars anyway?

And the fact is, the high price the car, the more you lose.

From most I see, you can lose $17K on a $60K BMW in 2 years. But losing $17K on a $35K Hyundai may take up to 4-5 years. If the performance number is close, doesn't that scream bargain? It's the same reason people are drove to the 335. It's a bargain for what you get.

Not everyone leases. And even if you do, you still care about resale as it helps dictate your residule.

And of course the more money you spend the more your car will depreciate. Presumably you also can afford to spend that money and you are paying for a better car.

And I would bet a 35k Hyundai will not lose only 17k in 4-5 years. Black book on every Hyundai right now is less than 50% when it is only 2 years old.

clem24
02-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Is that an i-Drive system? I don't see any audio controls at all. I am just wondering... Everyone seems to complain about it, but why are manufacturers still going ahead with this system?

I guess advertising during the Superbowl has really paid off for them. Honestly though, as much as I like this car and for Hyundai to succeed, I don't think this car will. At this market segment, it's all about brand and image, less on price and quality. It's like Toyota and it's Avalon. It's just targeting the wrong segment. They're probably hoping to rope in the posers that want MB and BMW but can't afford them. Now, if Hyundai were to start up a luxury division...

BTW I think blownz ur exaggerating the depreciation on Hyundais... I was shopping around for a used one 2 years ago, and 2 year old Hyundais were definitely NOT 50% of their original. I was looking at the Elantra GT, and the average one was probably 15k or more. Hardly 50% of original.

All of the luxo cars like BMW, MB and Lexus seem to lose most of their values during the first 2-3 years then slow down after that. Cars in the $100k region were probably shedding about 20-30k in the first year alone and then maybe about 15k after that. But then again, that's just my own observations.

89coupe
02-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I would love to see anyone list a fully loaded luxury sedan that produces 375HP for under $50K

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller???

blownz
02-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by clem24
BTW I think blownz ur exaggerating the depreciation on Hyundais... I was shopping around for a used one 2 years ago, and 2 year old Hyundais were definitely NOT 50% of their original. I was looking at the Elantra GT, and the average one was probably 15k or more. Hardly 50% of original.

All of the luxo cars like BMW, MB and Lexus seem to lose most of their values during the first 2-3 years then slow down after that. Cars in the $100k region were probably shedding about 20-30k in the first year alone and then maybe about 15k after that. But then again, that's just my own observations.

I stated that was black book. So not what people are asking retail obviously. I was just using it as an example because in the black book between them and Kia they are pretty much the worst when it comes to depreciation.

And I totally agree with you on depreciation in the first few years on luxury cars (and basically most for that matter). That is why both bmw's I have bought were 1-2 years old.

And if you want to hear something that hurts, my boss lost over 30k in 6 months on his last two personal cars he sold and it looks like he is about to lose even more on next one. Granted they were all over 100k to start with and he doesn't care about it but I find it still hurts me to see. lol

benyl
02-04-2008, 11:16 AM

And I would bet a 35k Hyundai will not lose only 17k in 4-5 years. Black book on every Hyundai right now is less than 50% when it is only 2 years old.

Even if a $35K Hyundai is worth $10K after 3 years, you will have lost less money that a 3 year old BMW 3 series.

Sure, a 3 series can have a 60% residual, but when it costs $65K, that really doesn't matter anymore... does it.

Kloubek
02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
This is a very, very nice car. Looks a lot like a BMW actually, with only perhaps 25-30% typical-looking Hyundai styling.

375hp is tough to beat, and assuming they made the engine smooth enough to befit a car of such a level, I think they have a good product here.

But let's face it boys. It's a Hyundai. We're talking about a brand which, while VASTLY improved from the days of the Pony, is still widely considered to be an inexpensive vehicle alternative for those who can't afford a better car. I just don't see the brand working in the high-end market, and predict this car will be a mild success at absolute best. My true guess is that the car will be dropped after a 2-4 year run, and unless it manages to change the overall view of Hyundai as a quality manufacturer, that you probably won't see another attempt by them in the high-end market ever again.

blownz
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Even if a $35K Hyundai is worth $10K after 3 years, you will have lost less money that a 3 year old BMW 3 series.

Sure, a 3 series can have a 60% residual, but when it costs $65K, that really doesn't matter anymore... does it.

Umm... I used to own a Cavalier which obviously didn't have good resale and isn't a great car, but I lost less money on it in 3 years then I did on the red E46 in my sig after in just over 2 years. So was the Cavalier the better car?

Presumably when you buy a car, any car, you take into consideration what the cost to own that car is going to be and you accept that. By your standard no one would every buy an expensive vehicle.

rage2
02-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Umm... I used to own a Cavalier which obviously didn't have good resale and isn't a great car, but I lost less money on it in 3 years then I did on the red E46 in my sig after in just over 2 years. So was the Cavalier the better car?
No, but that's because the Cavalier is not targetting the 3 series. You're comparing an econo box to an entry level luxury coupe/sedan.

The Genesis is targetting somewhere between the 5 and 7series, or between E and S class, for a lot less money. Lexus and Acura got into the segment doing the same thing... more car for less money. Look where they're at now.

JRSC00LUDE
02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I just don't see the brand working in the high-end market, and predict this car will be a mild success at absolute best. My true guess is that the car will be dropped after a 2-4 year run, and unless it manages to change the overall view of Hyundai as a quality manufacturer, that you probably won't see another attempt by them in the high-end market ever again.

It's a luxury style car without the high-end market price, so I don't see why it wouldn't work if it's even just average in terms of reliability/build quality.

There are some odd people in the world who actually have the capacity to feel good about themselves without needing to carpet their lives in wall to wall labels/brand names.

benyl
02-04-2008, 11:34 AM

The long warranty is only on the powertrain so if the rest of the car is falling apart but you still have warranty on the engine then quality is still an issue. I have been in a few 2-3 year old Hyundai's and I wouldn't want to be driving them.

Sorry, you need to do some research:

5 Year 100,000 KM Comprehensive Limited

Covers nearly every new vehicle component.

Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance

The following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
Radio and Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player), DVD system: 3 years / 60,000 Km
Paint: 3 years/ 60,000 Km
Battery: 3 years / 60,000 Km (100battery and labour covered)
Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge: 1 year / 20,000 Km
Adjustments: 1 year / 20,000 Km

Refer to the Service Passport for complete details of Hyundai Warranties.

Pretty much bumper to bumper for 5 years.

zipdoa
02-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

There are some odd people in the world who actually have the capacity to feel good about themselves without needing to carpet their lives in wall to wall labels/brand names.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis.

:)

benyl
02-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Presumably when you buy a car, any car, you take into consideration what the cost to own that car is going to be and you accept that. By your standard no one would every buy an expensive vehicle.

Because more often than not, BMW owners say stupid shit

gpomp
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
There are some odd people in the world who actually have the capacity to feel good about themselves without needing to carpet their lives in wall to wall labels/brand names. :thumbsup:

Xtrema
02-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Look, let's back this up with real numbers:

The following is off Canadian Black Book, off Toyota's Trade-In appraisal applet.

2006 330xi with all options. Original price, $60K

CBB: $35,060 on excellent condition.
Lost: $24,940 or 41%

2006 Sonata GLS with all options. Original price: $27K

CBB: $13500 on excellent condition.
Lost: $13500 or 50%

So Blownz, you're right, BMW keep their value better. But our point is still valid that you'll lose more money on BMW than you would with Hyundai. This would be even worse if Hyundai can match the performance numbers for almost 1/2 the price.

irs
02-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I think it looks to much like accord / civic styling!
Just not my thing. Especially for lux pricing.

JDM¦FC
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Nice.. For a hyundai

89coupe
02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I would have bought this Hyundai over my G35 if it was available at the time.

The styling is not quite as nice, but for $15K less and 70 more HP, hell yah!

gibbles
02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
http://www.the-genesis.co.kr/

The vids are kind of corny, but not bad.
Hyundai has some strange commercials like the old Tiburon ones and even the newer Tiburon ones.

I've seen a few driving around in Korea.

rage2
02-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by irs
I think it looks to much like accord / civic styling!

"2008 Hyundai Genesis Prices: Hyundai has hinted that Genesis will have a starting price just under $30,000."
Definately not lux pricing.

JRSC00LUDE
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
EDIT - DAMN RAGE2 TYPES FASTER THAN ME.

Originally posted by irs

That isn't luxury pricing, that's everyman pricing.

adam c
02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
i honestly like the coupe version.

yes its a hyundai and i have been known to bash them to the furthest extent. but if u can buy a 300+ hp car that looks as good as the coupe does and for 30k. well then u can have a pretty decent car..

i don't like the sedan version, actually i think it looks like crap but thats just me.

ill wait a year or so after the first production models to finally make a decision but this is definitely one car that i will have my eye on

blownz
02-04-2008, 12:09 PM

lol I may not have been comparing apples to apples but you weren't either (35k vs 65k). And the Genesis probably isn't going to be close to 35k with the V8 and loaded.

Originally posted by Xtrema
So Blownz, you're right, BMW keep their value better. But our point is still valid that you'll lose more money on BMW than you would with Hyundai. This would be even worse if Hyundai can match the performance numbers for almost 1/2 the price.

SRT-4 again. Performance is only one aspect.

I really hope Hyundai can change my opinion of them with this car. My original post was just based on my past experience with driving them and what I have heard from other owners. Several of the last Hyundai's have been really promising but when they acctually go on sale they just don't seem to be anything exciting. Who knows. :dunno:

89coupe
02-04-2008, 12:09 PM
This is a great commercial for the sedan.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nNmbfHa9LhU

rage2
02-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I really hope Hyundai can change my opinion of them with this car. My original post was just based on my past experience with driving them and what I have heard from other owners. Several of the last Hyundai's have been really promising but when they acctually go on sale they just don't seem to be anything exciting. Who knows. :dunno:
I've driven a few Hyundais, and their low end cars are definately comparable to other low end cars (Cavalier, Civic etc). I really liked the Tiburon, was contemplating on getting one before I picked the Yaris, and was surprised at the used prices on them. Kinda high.

Based on how much they've improved compared to when they've entered the market, I'd say it's gonna be a very interesting car in its segment.

benyl
02-04-2008, 12:24 PM

lol I may not have been comparing apples to apples but you weren't either (35k vs 65k). And the Genesis probably isn't going to be close to 35k with the V8 and loaded.

That isn't luxury pricing, that's everyman pricing.

Even if they tack on $15K, the reality is that this is a 5 series competitor.

So now I am comparing a $45K car to a $90K car. How do like them apples?

clem24
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
The Genesis is targetting somewhere between the 5 and 7series, or between E and S class, for a lot less money. Lexus and Acura got into the segment doing the same thing... more car for less money. Look where they're at now.

BRAND BRAND BRAND. It's all about the brand. Hyundai is not going to get anywhere. Personally, I think Hyundai's ads might have been even more genius has they maybe even omitted that this is coming from Hyundai. Just "genesis" and "coming summer 2008" and show the car. That would totally create hype. Vs. showing the car, "genesis", and then Hyundai, which probably turned off the majority of viewers.

Acura brand.. Not so much. I don't think they have succeeded at all in the branding department.

Lexus though... They've created a BRAND, not a car. Lexus is a complete marketing success IMO. The name was carefully chosen. And they've built up the brand by going all out with customer service and great cars (like the original LS400) that was vastly upgraded from regular Toyotas and building a great reputation. If the Lexus cars were just sold as Toyotas (like in Japan), then do you think it would enjoy the same success as it has now? Probably not. Likewise with Infiniti.

I think Acura made the mistake of offering low end cars like the RSX (esp non-premium models). That's why they aren't up there like Lexus and Infiniti and why no one buys their RL. Even Infiniti caught on and dropped the G20 and replaced it with a vastly superior car. Personally, I think Acura could've sold more Integras by selling it under Honda, and without bringing down their brand. But then again, that's just my opinion... :nut:

adam c
02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
^^ honda couldn't sell the integra under honda here, thats why it was sold under acura..

there is a reason acura was created because the market in canada/us only allows so many cars to be imported from one manufacturer

benyl
02-04-2008, 12:29 PM

BRAND BRAND BRAND. *snip*

Just started your marketing class this semester? hahaha

89coupe
02-04-2008, 12:42 PM

BRAND BRAND BRAND. It's all about the brand. Hyundai is not going to get anywhere. Personally, I think Hyundai's ads might have been even more genius has they maybe even omitted that this is coming from Hyundai. Just "genesis" and "coming summer 2008" and show the car. That would totally create hype. Vs. showing the car, "genesis", and then Hyundai, which probably turned off the majority of viewers.

Maybe young viewers, but the market they are after wouldn't be turned off by the name.

max_boost
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM

Just started your marketing class this semester? hahaha LOL

This car offers tremendous value. It will be enough to sway me away from the MB/BMW cars. :hitit: I'll probably debadge the thing though :D:rofl:

Great job Hyundai! :thumbsup:

gtr34
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
pretty nice for a Hyundai:thumbsup:

rc2002
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM

I think Acura made the mistake of offering low end cars like the RSX (esp non-premium models). That's why they aren't up there like Lexus and Infiniti and why no one buys their RL. Even Infiniti caught on and dropped the G20 and replaced it with a vastly superior car. Personally, I think Acura could've sold more Integras by selling it under Honda, and without bringing down their brand. But then again, that's just my opinion... :nut:

The problem with Acura is that every car in the lineup feels like a Honda - there's no difference in the car when you step up from Honda to Acura. If it weren't for the badging you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

But a Lexus drives like a completely different car from a Toyota. You can tell that there was a lot more engineering that took place to manufacture the Lexus.

And as for the resale of Hyundai's, rage2 brought up a good point. Tiburons command pretty good resale values because it's pretty much the most desirable Hyundai you can buy. This new Hyundai will be the new Tiburon - I can see it holding it's value too.

clem24
02-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Just started your marketing class this semester? hahaha

Bwhahaha... I think my last marketing class was probably 9 years ago. I am done with that shit. :nut:

But my point is... They seem to be going after the BMW crowd (i.e. roominess of a 7 series, priced like a 3, and looks like a Lexus LS chopped with a BMW 3 series and finished off with a Hyundai touch). Anyway, there are 2 crowds that BMW cater to I think. The (smaller) performance crowd, and the (bigger) "I bought a Bimmer so I can tell everyone I drive a Bimmer". Usually the 2nd one is Asian. Hahah j/k. I mean, for these guys, image is everything. But ya, this car just seems to be targeting the wrong crowd. And then there's the 3rd unofficial "I bought a bimmer cause I am an asshole" crowd. I think I've yet to encounter an asshole in a Hyundai.

I had an aunt a few years, well many many years ago, say "Lexus? Why would I want to drive a Toyota? I hate the thought of paying that much for a Toyota" and then went and got a MB 190E. Haha, look who had the last laugh.

Rstar
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Bwhahaha... I think my last marketing class was probably 9 years ago. I am done with that shit. :nut:

But my point is... They seem to be going after the BMW crowd (i.e. roominess of a 7 series, priced like a 3, and looks like a Lexus LS chopped with a BMW 3 series and finished off with a Hyundai touch). Anyway, there are 2 crowds that BMW cater to I think. The (smaller) performance crowd, and the (bigger) "I bought a Bimmer so I can tell everyone I drive a Bimmer". Usually the 2nd one is Asian. Hahah j/k. I mean, for these guys, image is everything. But ya, this car just seems to be targeting the wrong crowd. And then there's the 3rd unofficial "I bought a bimmer cause I am an asshole" crowd. I think I've yet to encounter an asshole in a Hyundai.

I had an aunt a few years, well many many years ago, say "Lexus? Why would I want to drive a Toyota? I hate the thought of paying that much for a Toyota" and then went and got a MB 190E. Haha, look who had the last laugh.

The BMW/MB crowd are usually full of older, more wealthy people. I think the affordability of this car will broaden the appeal big time.

On another note, there is absolutely nothing to say that a car manufacturer can't have low-end cars and high-end cars in their lineup. I think its awesome to see a wicked car from somebody other than the usual.

Mibz
02-04-2008, 03:22 PM

:rofl:

That made my day. Saw that coming as soon as I clicked "Submit". Which actually got me thinking. I thought the same way about the Sky Redline when it came out. "Too bad it's a Saturn.". Nowadays it doesn't matter to me. Perhaps I don't care about the badge as much as I thought (evidenced by the badge on my own ;)). I guess time will tell.

All that said, this is the first I've seen of the coupe and it looks pretty good. Even if it only gets the V6 it'll be a great car, especially if the aftermarket support is there.

EDIT: I still feel like a dumbass for my original post *sigh*

dino_martini
02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
If this car is still around when I have $35,000 to spend on a car, Im going to buy a Genesis.

iceburns288
02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
When I get out of under/grad school (if I ever do:rofl: ) I will look straight to this for a daily driver. Personally, I think it looks great; like a 7-series, without the 7-series :p. The interior looks great and actually well-designed and thought-out. I couldn't care less about the badge on the front.

EDIT besides, the Z has such a shit interior that anything above an ox-cart seems to be a modest improvement. I look forward to this car.

muse017
02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Leather front looks so pimp..haha
Anyways some better quality interior shots for you guys..

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_369855/200802/1202171073_autospy20080108-08.jpg

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_369855/200802/1202171073_autospy20080109-14.jpg

http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_369855/200802/1202171073_autospy20080109-11.jpg

Nismo S13
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Its still a Hyundai, and only time will tell true quality and performance, however atleast they are advancing in the right direction. Hope to see more of these changes in all of hyundai's line up. Im still sceptical due to the fact that this will be a benchmark for hyundai, and they will prob need a few years to refine, and work out all the bugs.

finboy
02-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by muse017
Leather front looks so pimp..haha
Anyways some better quality interior shots for you guys..

nice

Bimmer88
02-04-2008, 06:58 PM
First of all it's sooo copying BMW.

Look from the exterior rear, the LED lights and the Shark fin totally a BMW thing, and the sporty look makes it look like a BMW.

and with parking assist, rain sensing wipers, etc... what the heck their really trying to impress people with money.

Not only that but look at the inside! THEY COPIED THE I-Drive! that BMW came out with. Don't get me wrong but it's a very sleek and sexy looking car especially when it comes to the couple, and at 375 HP I would like to see it race a 3-Series BMW.

Now for the front of the car standard xenon lights, like every other high-end cars trying to copy that blueish light, and the badgeless front is like the Mercedes with their logo on the top of the hood. But ohwell.

Great car, and interior looks nice! but still its a Hyundai. Don't get me wrong I'd buy it but their just wannabe high-end and copying BMW and Mercedes. I'm sure it's their true intent too, but still get original guys.

Nice car though, and probably very affordable. I don't know how much it's going to cost but looks good, and it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Bimmer88
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by infected
Looks great!! There's no doubt the Genesis will attract buyers from the German Luxury crowd. For that price, it's definitely worth giving Hyundai a try and they've got nothing to lose. Depreciation only matters to those who can't afford it.

Well either way no matter what kind of vehicles you buy there will always be depreciation but hey it's your personal opinion on what you want right.

I choose to drive a BMW versus a Hyundai, and in that choice it's a consequence to deal with expensive repairs if shit ever went wrong.

So guys, a smart deicision would probably go with a Hyundai if you don't want to get screwed in the ass. BMW's are nice, and great handling but expensive to maintain.

gibbles
02-04-2008, 07:23 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9N14XHTSojQ

The other Superbowl commercial.

962 kid
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
First of all it's sooo copying BMW.

Look from the exterior rear, the LED lights and the Shark fin totally a BMW thing, and the sporty look makes it look like a BMW.

The sporty look makes it look like a BMW? Are you fucking retarded?

Not only that but look at the inside! THEY COPIED THE I-Drive! that BMW came out with. Don't get me wrong but it's a very sleek and sexy looking car especially when it comes to the couple, and at 375 HP I would like to see it race a 3-Series BMW.

LOL, as if anyone would be retarded enough to copy i-Drive. It looks a lot more like Audi's MMI, but I guess it's impossible to copy anyone other than BMW :rolleyes:

When are people going to stop saying "oh it's just a hyundai" and realize that they're making the cars that everyone wants? 300hp RWD coupe? 375hp luxo-boat with a pricetag starting under 30 grand? 5 year warranties on everything? What more could you want???

Weapon_R
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I think it looks phenomenal! Depending on their pricing, this will be one of the best bargains available. The only problem is that Hyundai is going to have a tough time convincing buyers to opt out of a BMW 3 series or Lexus IS350 for one of these. It's the same reason we barely see any Azure's on the road today.

Bimmer88
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Umm maybe I didn't catch it but how much is this Hyundai?

Hehehe maybe I'll get one but I still love my BMW's... just their friggin expensive to fix and maintain.

I think everyone here that drives a BMW knows that.

gpomp
02-04-2008, 07:36 PM
more than your 320i

iceburns288
02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
When are people going to stop saying "oh it's just a hyundai" and realize that they're making the cars that everyone wants? 300hp RWD coupe? 375hp luxo-boat with a pricetag starting under 30 grand? 5 year warranties on everything? What more could you want???
Werd. Go back a few (okay, more than a few) years ago and people were saying all the same stuff about Hondas and Toyotas, and look where they are now.

Eleanor
02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
Are you fucking retarded?

Did you even read his username? :D

Damn, Bimmer88 and you wonder why people bash BMW drivers on this board :rofl: :rofl:

theken
02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
i would definitely consider buying the coupe if i am in the market for a car at the time it comes out, i think it looks pretty good, and you cant beat the price. Wonder if they will have a s/c kit for it

vietdood
02-04-2008, 09:48 PM
depending no how reliable it is that'll be the next car that replaces my Acura instead of a Mercedes C class

Hakkola
02-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Because they're smart. :D

89coupe
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM

Hehehe maybe I'll get one but I still love my BMW's... just their friggin expensive to fix and maintain.

Starting price for the Genesis is under $30K

Bimmer88
02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Did you even read his username? :D

Damn, Bimmer88 and you wonder why people bash BMW drivers on this board :rofl: :rofl:

There no reason for people to bash BMW drivers. Seriously I was assuming people would understand, and know the style of a 3-series. But obviously I was wrong to of assumethat your all so smart, knowing how a BMW looks like since you don't drive one.

Now let the bashing begin.

And thanks 89coupe. 30k is reasonable for sure!

89coupe
02-04-2008, 10:46 PM

And thanks 89coupe. 30k is reasonable for sure!

For 375HP
Six Speed Transmission
LSD
8 airbags
600watt 17speaker systme
Blue Tooth
18" wheels standard
Every bell and whistle you can think of.
More room then a 5 series Bimmer

Yeh I'd say so.

What does a fully loaded 5 series go for?

Bimmer88
02-04-2008, 10:47 PM

For 375HP
Six Speed Transmission
LSD
8 airbags
600watt 17speaker systme
Blue Tooth
18" wheels standard
Every bell and whistle you can think of.
More room then a 5 series Bimmer

Yeh I'd say so.

What does a fully loaded 5 series go for?

Yeh I'm gonna stop by the Hyundai dealership than for sure, and just sit in it, and damn... it's gonna be good. :drool: :drool:

haha fully loaded 5 series... umm definitely over 30k :D

more like 120k?

89coupe
02-04-2008, 10:52 PM

haha fully loaded 5 series... umm definitely over 30k :D

more like 120k?

What kind of HP does a 5 series make?

Bimmer88
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM

What kind of HP does a 5 series make?

Umm high end 550i I think is about 360 HP lol...

Now when you compare it that way... damn the Genesis of course is better!

I'm so gonna test drive that shit, and trade in my Bimmer maybe lol.

People may say still it's a Hyundai but comeon... more reliable I would say, and cheaper!

Idratherbsidewayz
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Now for the front of the car standard xenon lights, like every other high-end cars trying to copy that blueish light

Car companies don't do it for the color, you can see better with the xenons...

gpomp
02-04-2008, 11:02 PM
$120k for a 5? what does a 7 cost? $300k?