PDA

View Full Version : yet another speeding ticket question...

forced_eg
02-04-2008, 12:59 AM
about 10 minutes ago i got a ticket for going 20 over... i admit it and i can pay for it...but of course i dont want to... i wasnt driving my own vehicle, i was driving my pops truck... on the ticket, the officer put my fathers name, not mine... does that get me off the hook??? ill probably get flamed but id rather not pay than have my money go to fancy new office renovations or gas guzzling cruisers.

... TAKEN FROM THE BEYOND "READ FIRST" THREAD..

Ticket Errors were once thought to be a free ride, however this is not the case. An error on your summons is by no means the end of the road for the courts, as police have up to 6 months to reissue a revised ticket. Also, errors must be major, and occur on the vital fields, such as having a completely wrong name, or citing you for the improper violation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

completely wrong name being the key

Toms-SC
02-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Give it to your pops, then your out of it.

grrrouch
02-04-2008, 01:10 AM
If the cop gave you a ticket under your dads name it means he is just going on what the registration states for the vehicle. The name on your license has nothing to do with the ticket, the ticket always goes towards the registered owner of the vehicle, how do you think red light camera's work...same concept

ercchry
02-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by grrrouch
If the cop gave you a ticket under your dads name it means he is just going on what the registration states for the vehicle. The name on your license has nothing to do with the ticket, the ticket always goes towards the registered owner of the vehicle, how do you think red light camera's work...same concept

did you pull this out of your ass or do you have a source for it?

a red light ticket would go to the registered owner because, well there is no proof of who was driving and they really wouldnt start sending random people tickets for other peoples cars now would they? :nut:

grrrouch
02-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

did you pull this out of your ass or do you have a source for it?

a red light ticket would go to the registered owner because, well there is no proof of who was driving and they really wouldnt start sending random people tickets for other peoples cars now would they? :nut:

lol...are you drunk? did you not read the original thread? what you said is pretty much exactly what I described. Buddy got a ticket and the copwrote it out to his father's name(registered owner of the vehicle)...exactly how every ticket works.... sooooooo the question is, what exactly is your point

ercchry
02-04-2008, 01:22 AM

lol...are you drunk? did you not read the original thread? what you said is pretty much exactly what I described. Buddy got a ticket and the copwrote it out to his father's name(registered owner of the vehicle)...exactly how every ticket works.... sooooooo the question is, what exactly is your point

what? if i get pulled over by a cop in person then there is proof that I am the one driving and I get the ticket because it was my fault, now lets say im in that same car and i get hit with photo radar and now there is no proof that I was driving that car, so the ticket is then given to the owner of said car, so yeah....

EDIT: when a ticket for speeding is handed out by the cop there is demerits attached to the ticket, now if its photo radar there is none, now why do you think that is?

svtlight
02-04-2008, 01:24 AM
LOL grrrouch what are you smoking

Jmay1988
02-04-2008, 01:26 AM
you just said what grrrouch ment...

grrrouch
02-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

what? if i get pulled over by a cop in person then there is proof that I am the one driving and I get the ticket because it was my fault, now lets say im in that same car and i get hit with photo radar and now there is no proof that I was driving that car, so the ticket is then given to the owner of said car, so yeah....

EDIT: when a ticket for speeding is handed out by the cop there is demerits attached to the ticket, now if its photo radar there is none, now why do you think that is?

the cop should put the ticket towards the driver of the vehicle, but if he is lazy he will just put the ticket towards the registered owner of the vehicle. I dont totally get what your last quote means, because for one, you do lose demerits for a red light ticket....all im trying to say is that what the cop sees for the registered owner of the vehicle is, is who gets the ticket, and if he screws up, is a pointless battle in court because who is the witness in it? Bottom line...the ticket is still going towards someone, his father being the one in this situation..this aint no get out of jail free card..only way a ticket is invalid is if there is a spelling mistake so they cant identify your name/address properly. Who cares if the the cop screwed up on who he issued the ticket for, if all the info is correct, whatever he put on paper is the one getting the ticket...

case colved:closed:

Masked Bandit
02-04-2008, 07:45 AM
To the OP....

Check the ticket to see what the charge is. If it's "speeding", then check to see if your driver's license number is on it. If it's your license number but your dad's name, you may have a way out.

If the charge is "registered owner of a speeding vehicle", then it's just like a photo-radar ticket. Pay it and be done as it will not show up on your license (or your dad's for that matter).

sr20s14zenki
02-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Ummm...AFAIK registered owner tickets are only for red light cams/photo radar because they cant prove who is driving and therefore just collect the cash, not the demerits. When they pull you over, they give you a ticket that SHOULD go on your license. The owner of the veichle in this case has nothing to do with it, the cop is just a dork, and made the ticket out to the wrong person. One other scenario is that he could be giving you a break by giving you a RO ticket, meaning no demerits for you...lucky bastard.

:dunno:

JoniBoy
02-04-2008, 08:18 AM

I dont totally get what your last quote means, because for one, you do lose demerits for a red light ticket....

FAIL

tom_9109
02-04-2008, 08:23 AM
OP, can you please post that section the ticket is?? that will make all the difference. I don't think that the cop can issue a registered owner ticket to anyone but the owner.

I'd imagine if your dad went to court he'd win it. Please post the particulars of the ticket or even a full scan pdf.

Thanks.

riceboi
02-05-2008, 12:02 AM

the cop should put the ticket towards the driver of the vehicle, but if he is lazy he will just put the ticket towards the registered owner of the vehicle. I dont totally get what your last quote means, because for one, you do lose demerits for a red light ticket....all im trying to say is that what the cop sees for the registered owner of the vehicle is, is who gets the ticket, and if he screws up, is a pointless battle in court because who is the witness in it? Bottom line...the ticket is still going towards someone, his father being the one in this situation..this aint no get out of jail free card..only way a ticket is invalid is if there is a spelling mistake so they cant identify your name/address properly. Who cares if the the cop screwed up on who he issued the ticket for, if all the info is correct, whatever he put on paper is the one getting the ticket...

case colved:closed:

What kinda logic is this??...if a ticket is wrongly issued -- it's a ground to be dismissed. Period.
:banghead:

If what you said is true, the COPs can go thru the Registry database and randomly issue ticket at will.

I would still ask for a full disclosure and fight the case.

From your comment: "..only way a ticket is invalid is if there is a spelling mistake". Fyi, putting someone name instead of the OP's name is a major spelling mistake, don't you think...

InLoveWitRSX
02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
lol grrrouch do your research

phrozen
02-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
lol grrrouch do your research

:werd:

300zxfairlday
02-05-2008, 02:16 AM
If in fact you were pulled over , The cop cannot issue the ticket to the registered owner , He has to issue it to you. Only way it is issued to a registered owner is if it is a photo radar or red light camara ticket.

Take it to court and fight it You will win.

Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago, I didnt have my licence on me and was driving my moms car. The cop gave me a ticket for not having my licence and gave a ticket under my moms Name for speeding 25 over. Went to court and not only did they clear the speeding one they also cleared the licence one . :clap:

ntv1980
02-05-2008, 06:24 PM
+1 for the above. Take it to court. Logically (I think) your dad will have to go to court to clear his name; or you can show up to court too (input from experienced beyonder needed). Since the police officer cannot prove that he's the driver or you're the driver, how could he be credible (or in the good mental state/condition) to prove that you were speeding. Prepare the case to fight it. The prosecutor may even drop the case before going to the judge.

DayGlow
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
To write a ticket to the registered owner you have to cite a specific section of the TSA, ie it says 'registered owner of vehicle in contravention of section.......'

The wrong name on the ticket means it will be quashed as ID will be a major issue at court.

I've made that mistake as well as it's easier to read the computer screen in the car that has the registered owner info on it instead of a drivers license, especially at night. If the RO and the person pulled over have a similar name you can miss it.