PDA

View Full Version : Booster Pack/Jumper Pack for Cars

gmoney82
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
My car has had trouble starting up in the cold recently only if its been parked more than 24 hours....overnight is fine, but a full day and half outside and I need a boost.

I'm considering to get a jumper back like the this Black & Decker one:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BB7B-12-Volt-Battery/dp/B000H774BY

Just wondering if anybody has recommendations on something portable I can keep in my in case my I need a boost? I'm not looking to get anything heavy duty, just something that holds enough juice to jump start my cold battery.

My car is a 99 and i dont think its necessary to get a new battery yet either...

Sharpie
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82
\

My car is a 99 and i dont think its necessary to get a new battery yet either... Hahahaha....

But on a more cereal note, get a portable booster pack, they work very well.

gmoney82
02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie
cereal note

haha yah the B&D link i have is for a battery charger, but it seems like it will do the trick for a simple boost. The boost packs i've seen at canadian tire are about $150 or so...just looking for something cheaper

Supa Dexta
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I have a good one from canadian tire, and even it isn't great.. No way I'd leave it sit outside in the cold. Also even sitting in the closet it loses it's charge, so you have to charge it ahead of time knowing your going to need it..

G-ZUS
02-04-2008, 11:37 PM
How well do these ones work as opposed to the ones you put on your battery as if your jump starting it?

4lti7ude
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I got the terminator one from Canadian tire, and its REALLY handy since it has a flashlight on it and is pretty small in size. It even has lights to show that your hooking it on right, the only downside is that it dosnt have a power meter. From the manual it just says you charge it once in a while, but it seems to hold power well anyways so i dont have to charge it much at all.

Kloubek
02-04-2008, 11:45 PM
You want to get the type that clamp onto your battery. And trust me: I bought the cheapest one that Crappy Tire sold. Picked it up for something like $29.99 on sale. Don't cheap out that badly!

If C. Tire has one on sale, look at around the $50-$60 mark and it should work just fine. These sorts of things go on sale there all the time. If you must buy one at full pop, I'd spend at least $80-$100.

Also check out XS cargo. (There's on on 32nd NE) They have had these on there before - but it's hard to know what kind of quality you're getting...

One point to note: Why is the battery dying after only 24 hours? Either it's not getting a full charge from the alternator, or the battery is dying/frozen. If frozen, try to keep it charged up and warm if possible. A frozen battery doesn't hold much of a charge, and may never hold a good charge if it is always depleted and frozen.

If it's just the battery dying, then the car should be just fine with a new battery instead of the jump pack. Unless there's a short which is drawing power all day it sits there, which is doubtful.

DC2
02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82
My car has had trouble starting up in the cold recently only if its been parked more than 24 hours....overnight is fine, but a full day and half outside and I need a boost.

I'm considering to get a jumper back like the this Black & Decker one:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BB7B-12-Volt-Battery/dp/B000H774BY

Just wondering if anybody has recommendations on something portable I can keep in my in case my I need a boost? I'm not looking to get anything heavy duty, just something that holds enough juice to jump start my cold battery.

My car is a 99 and i dont think its necessary to get a new battery yet either...

I've been using canadian tire's 700amp motomaster eliminator, its actually very good, even has a battery meter and a 12v dc outlet, its a little more pricey but its great!

but have you ever thought of one of your lights being left on? glovebox? trunk? hood? my girlfriend had this problem and it killed her battery every 2 days

gmoney82
02-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
You want to get the type that clamp onto your battery. And trust me: I bought the cheapest one that Crappy Tire sold. Picked it up for something like $29.99 on sale. Don't cheap out that badly!

If C. Tire has one on sale, look at around the $50-$60 mark and it should work just fine. These sorts of things go on sale there all the time. If you must buy one at full pop, I'd spend at least $80-$100.

Also check out XS cargo. (There's on on 32nd NE) They have had these on there before - but it's hard to know what kind of quality you're getting...

One point to note: Why is the battery dying after only 24 hours? Either it's not getting a full charge from the alternator, or the battery is dying/frozen. If frozen, try to keep it charged up and warm if possible. A frozen battery doesn't hold much of a charge, and may never hold a good charge if it is always depleted and frozen.

If it's just the battery dying, then the car should be just fine with a new battery instead of the jump pack. Unless there's a short which is drawing power all day it sits there, which is doubtful.

Yah i was at Canadian tire today,...they have one on sale for $129.99 i think..its the big one that provides a boost and charges your battery...looks pretty good.. I was considering the ones that charge your car battery directly from the cigarette lighter...i think it was for $59.99

My battery has never acted erratically until the recent extreme cold, so I doubt that its dying..i'm just thinking its frozen and once i get a boost i dont drive it long enough for the alternator to charge the battery enough for the next morning etc.

Since the weather's going to warm up in the next couple of days i'll just poke around different stores ...and park my car outside when it gets colder this weekend, see how it goes..

thanks for the input so far tho

Sharpie
02-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Dont be suprised if you need a new battery. Plus you are willing to spend $129 on a charger when you could get a battery for less than that?

bmeier
02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
costco sells good batteries for $50 5 or 6 year warranty. Mine has been fantastic, i would definitely just check that your battery is not worn out. If its the original battery you definitely should just get a new one..

97'Scort
02-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Here are the ones we use at the shop:

http://www.associatedequip.com/associated/index.html

It's the 6250 under "Portable Starting Systems". Have never failed us yet. It is just a hook-up-and-go battery jumper pack. Works AMAZING.

If you'd like one, PM me. We can order them for our supplier! If there's enough interest I can do a group buy :)

300zxfairlday
02-05-2008, 10:41 AM
^^ and how much can you get these for?

97'Scort
02-05-2008, 10:52 AM
^ You have PM.