PDA

View Full Version : Writing the LSAT

Rocky
02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Figured this should go in here instead of the Law/Society forum...

Anyway, I've been talking to a few people and hearing mixed opinions, anyone have any experience on this:

Is it better to write the LSAT once or write it many times?

I've heard that many places will just average your LSAT scores if you do it multiple times, which could make it less presentable and a big waste of money... but others have told me they just "take the best score of them all" and ignore the rest.

Weapon_R
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
It depends on the school. I think almost every school averages them out. It's not a good idea to have 100 different lsat scores.

2002civic
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
most average so you should not re-write unless neccesary

ashee
02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I would write it fairly close to when you are actually thinking of attending law school (probably winter before). The LSAT marks are valid for some time but there's really no point in taking it several times even though they take your best mark and there's not point in writing it too far in advance. It's a waste of money to have to write it too many times, just take a good prep course.

Weapon_R
02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by ashee
I would write it fairly close to when you are actually thinking of attending law school (probably winter before). The LSAT marks are valid for some time but there's really no point in taking it several times even though they take your best mark and there's not point in writing it too far in advance. It's a waste of money to have to write it too many times, just take a good prep course.

Lsat scores are good for 5 years. Leave enough time to rewrite it 2 times if you have to.

rm777
02-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Most schools nowadays take your highest score anyway:

UofC
UofM
UofS
UBC
Victoria
UofT
Osgoode
Dalhousie
UNB

You are allowed to write it three times in a year. When looking at writing it, I would suggest the June or Sept sitting.
Also, you should go to each school's website and check out which LSAT writing is the last one they will accept.

If you have any more questions, I am more than happy to help you out. I just went through the application process for Sept 2008 admission and will probably be accepting Dalhousie's offer. Good Luck.
:thumbsup:

rm777
02-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Lsat scores are good for 5 years. Leave enough time to rewrite it 2 times if you have to.

Good advice.

cressida_pimpin
02-11-2008, 10:47 PM
UofA takes an average. Almost every other law school in Canada takes your best score. You can write it three times in two years so I'd write it three times unless I pulled a 170. It appears most people who posted don't know what they are talking about. Talk to admissions at the schools your interested in.

ashee
02-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I went to a whole seminar on law school applications and most of them all have different criteria, so I'd look into that first perhaps?