PDA

View Full Version : need a tuner for a civic turbo project

Mr2boy
02-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I am helping my friend piece together a cheap turbo project on his 2003 civic dx. He's not looking for insane power just a little more fun (until he upgrades to a better car,) prob around 170 hp or so. We are just gathering pieces right now but we need to find someone who can tune the car, and what we need to be able to tune it that is relatively cheap. He doesn't need stand alone or anything just something that will work.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Mr_ET
02-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Your lack of knowledge makes me believe this will work out great:thumbsup:

If you need help tuning specify what it will be tuned with and if you don't know figure it out before making this thread...

rc2002
02-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr2boy
just something cheap that will work.

I predict this will end badly. The one thing you don't cheap out on is the tune.

You can't run the cheaper (read free) OBD1 alternatives that you can for the 88-00 Hondas so for a 2003, your best bet is Hondata Kpro or some kind of piggy back system like emanage if you want to keep costs down.

Mr2boy
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah I dont know much about tuning honda's. I have an SDS standalone in my car. It has kept my mr2 on boost for 10yrs of very hard driving( alot of autocrossing and a few drags) without blowing it yet (I know its coming). I know my way around a turbo system, well the mechanical parts anyways -turbo, wastegate, blow off valve, oil and coolant lines, intercooler, but I dont know jack about getting the fuel required on this type of system. I didn't want to get a fuel system that no one knew how to tune. So I thought I would find someone who is a good tuner and see what system he would recommend so he could tune it after its done. I dont know the prices of any of these systems, so if you recommend one could you please give me an approximate price it may cost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mr_ET
02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
The problem with a 2003 civic is that it has little aftermarket support.

It was not a great car to tune and it was so bland that the community did not embrace it as a valid tuner car.

I think the greddy emanage might work. A hondata Kpro also and maybe something apexi like a vafc hack.

The hack is cheaper but we are still talking 200-300 dollars and it's a shitty way to tune a turbo engine.

Realistically to get a good engine management system you are looking at about 1000-2500 dollars, this will include tuning by a professional tuner.

As mentioned, the best way to blow an engine up is to overlook this aspect of a build.

A790
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
As mentioned, the best way to blow an engine up is to overlook this aspect of a build.
QFT!

Mr2boy
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I see that the e-manage is less than 500$, that doesn't sound too bad. I'll have to do a little research too see if that will work for his car(unless you guys know for sure) but if it does is there someone who knows how to tune the greddy in town?

92gsr
02-24-2008, 01:55 PM
with power levels like that you could away e-manage, e-manage ultimate, or an apexi safc. K-pro is for k-series engines and he has a d17. Honestly with dismal goals of 170whp a *gasp* fmu would even work fine with some colder plugs and pulling some base timing. The problem with all mentioned tuning options is lack of timing control but it really doesn't matter that much as you will be running ~5lbs to reach the power goal.

stefan.bounket
02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Just outta curiosity...

My friend is turboing his civic (red)... i think its a dx.. possibly '03... and is ALSO looking for a person to tune for him...

perhaps it's the same friend... lol...

Friend of Dayton? :D

ron korolak
02-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Lots of people have made over 400-500Whp on AFC etc... Its not the most accurate but in alot of cases well work well enough.

Cooked Rice
02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
SAFC or Emanage for fuel control, and MSD BTM for timing retard will work for mild boost applications. Get it tuned by a pro tho lol. Tec-motion does SAFC tuning and emanage too i think. Autodream is also in the works of buying a dyno for their shop.

... just remembered a MSD BTM probably dosn't work on newer ignition systems.

Mr_ET
02-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ron korolak
Lots of people have made over 400-500Whp on AFC etc... Its not the most accurate but in alot of cases well work well enough.

this may have worked for built sr20's and dsm engines but a honda engine even built will blow the f up if you try to tune it with afc to those power levels.

I would stay away from the afc if you plan on making more than about 150-160whp in Calgary on a mustang dyno. I would just plainly stay away from any form of FMU.

For your needs I would probably look more into the emanage as it can control both fuel and timing.

ron korolak
02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
That strange I know of 2 Civics personaly that make over 200Hp with a AFC? As long as the timing is right a AFC well work to tune the fuel!

Mr_ET
02-29-2008, 11:49 AM
That strange I know of 2 Civics personaly that make over 200Hp with a AFC? As long as the timing is right a AFC well work to tune the fuel!

those cars are in Calgary or Fort Mac and what type of dyno?

Also is that 200hp crank or whp?

edit: are those civics d17 powered and from a 2001-2005 model year? I ask because a b series powered civic can make 200whp on an afc easily but I wouldn't try that in a d series.

I am not saying it can;t work, I am just saying based on the OP's knowledge this does not sound like a good idea at all.

962 kid
02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
what lack of knowledge? Not knowing what Honda guys like to use for fuel management? There's nothing wrong with a fmu for 170hp

legendboy
02-29-2008, 12:17 PM

maybe for a factory turbo car, not so for the majority of na cars