PDA

View Full Version : AB FAME Fitness Competition

JWL
02-06-2008, 05:21 PM
So, with some of the comments that were said and getting back into training, I’ve been contemplating about doing the FAME competition in April. Are there any of you guys doing it or know of anyone who is training for it? I know some of these competitions are rigged, so I’m not expecting to be placed in the top 3 or whatever, it will be a personal quest. However, one thing that I’m not looking forward to is the bland eating and missing birthday cakes. Hahaha…

JWL
02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
So, I guess nobody knows anyone who is competing. Anyway, I've decided to go through with it and I only have 10 weeks to prepare myself. I went through the FAME camp this Saturday cuz it's manatory to taking one, plus it's a good chance to scope out the competition. hahaha... I have a lot of work ahead of me, the weights, the "walk", posing with the hooker heels and I need a new suit! I bought all my foods and did a lot of preparing last night - it's tiring! Anyway, I'm super pumped about it but also nervous.

So, my trainer said that I need to put on some weight for the next two weeks before "slimming down". Do you guys have any suggestions? Right now I'm at 126lbs. I started taking Xpand creatine, and I know I have to increase my protien intake.

Thanks!

kerry
02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Xpand Creatine did fuck all for me in all honesty. Now I've never suggested creatine to a lady before but my personal favorite, and the one I got most results from was CMI Technologies B.I.G.

http://www.cminutrition.com/store.php?page=big&session=

I didn't like NOXplode or Xpand but Cell Mass from BNS was okay. BIG I noticed lean muscle growth on my arms, and legs.

BNS is ranted and raved about for protein but my personal fave is the BioX Variety. No fat and like 1 gram of carbs. Tastes great with skim milk and lot of Calories/Protein so I think it'd be good for you.

I'm sure you know to put on some "weight" to eat oats, yogurt etc etc etc as you've done this before.

If you're going to go with a "gainer" style protein the Ultimate Nutrition is great. Banana flavour or Chocolate. You definitely need a blender to blend it though (thickens a lot)

Hope that helps.

JWL
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't tried Xpand creatine before, the last stuff I had tasted awful... it was a mix of McDonald's orange juice and sand. Anyway, I tried the Xpand today and it tasted way better, as to if it will do anything for me, I guess time will tell.

I have the BioX Isolate and the PVL Maxx for my Whey Protein. I also have Detour protein bars, and I bought this other protein bar that tastes like a brownie! It's so good!!! It's a Chef Jay's brand. It's a little on the pricy side (12 bars for $35).

I've always been on the "small" side when it comes to building muscles compared to Caucasians or Blacks - it seems to come to them more naturally.

1-Bar
02-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by JWL
So, I guess nobody knows anyone who is competing. Anyway, I've decided to go through with it and I only have 10 weeks to prepare myself. I went through the FAME camp this Saturday cuz it's manatory to taking one, plus it's a good chance to scope out the competition. hahaha... I have a lot of work ahead of me, the weights, the "walk", posing with the hooker heels and I need a new suit! I bought all my foods and did a lot of preparing last night - it's tiring! Anyway, I'm super pumped about it but also nervous.

gl with the comp....I know of an acquaintance who was dq'ed for her shoes being too short. Becareful :thumbsup:

JWL
02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

gl with the comp....I know of an acquaintance who was dq'ed for her shoes being too short. Becareful :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up... do you know how tall her heels were? I'm planning on wearing 4 inch heels and even with those I'm having problems walking in them. lol.... I guess I could find a pair of 6 inches, but I think I will tip forward.

So, today was my second day of using Xpand while doing a leg workout. I swear, I felt like I was going to puke. lol... However, I did feel like I could push more, but I guess time will tell. I've been told not to do any cardio type exercises for the next two weeks in order to "bulk up" and I'm sure I will feel pretty bloated by the end of week two, plus I will need to take the creatine for 5 weeks straight.

Not sure how I feel about putting some before pictures up considering how ruthless you guys can get. LOL...

1-Bar
02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
she was shy of the requirements by like 1/4"...I'm not too sure how tall her heels were....

kerry
02-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JWL

Thanks for the heads up... do you know how tall her heels were? I'm planning on wearing 4 inch heels and even with those I'm having problems walking in them. lol.... I guess I could find a pair of 6 inches, but I think I will tip forward.

So, today was my second day of using Xpand while doing a leg workout. I swear, I felt like I was going to puke. lol... However, I did feel like I could push more, but I guess time will tell. I've been told not to do any cardio type exercises for the next two weeks in order to "bulk up" and I'm sure I will feel pretty bloated by the end of week two, plus I will need to take the creatine for 5 weeks straight.

Not sure how I feel about putting some before pictures up considering how ruthless you guys can get. LOL...

Hey you're making me post before and after pics. Jeez I think you at least owe ME pics ;) Had to.

So your trainer wants you to bulk up for 2 weeks then lean out. Sounds rough. Are you using the Energized Xpand or the plain variety? I did like how the Energized Xpand gave me more "push" in the gym. I just personally didn't see any results from it. I can agree with you in the Xpand tasting MUCH better than most products, including gross ass NOXplode.

I'm really curious to know what your diet is on this "bulking" phase. And what kind of routine you're doing as well. Are you doing breakdown sets? Heavy weights and low reps?

1-Bar
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
wait till the cutting portion of your diet....IMO that's the really bad part, being all grumpy and stuff....

kerry
02-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Hahaha cutting diets SUCK!

Vegetables and some meat. No fruit, bread or anything that tastes remotely good.

JWL
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Hmmmm... I'm not sure which type of Xpand I bought. It's the pre/post workout stuff and it was on sale at Popeye's. I'll have to look when I get home.

As for my diet for bulking up, I'm eating a lot of protein (chicken breast, protein powder, cottage cheese, etc) and complex carbs (quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal)and veggies. The only type of fruits that I eat are apples, bananas and blueberries. I made these "egg pancakes" that I snack on during the day. They're pretty good if you have the munchies. Asides from that, I generally have a protein shake after my work out whether it's with weights or just cardio and one before I go to bed.

As for weights, I am doing heavysets and low reps (3 sets of 6-8)but that is only with my trainer so he can spot me and I don't want to injure myself. On the days that I don't train with him, I would do the first set heavy and second and third set I would lighten the weights.

So today was my leg/abs day on my own and I did:
10 min cardio warm up
3 sets 1 min each of jump squats with the stepper
3 sets 1 min each of step ups
3 sets 90lbs leg press and then did 3 sets of calves on those
3 sets 35lbs leg extension
3 sets 40lbs hamstring curls
4 sets of bicycle for abs
3 sets of reverse crunches

kerry
02-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Ahhhhh
Sounds like a lot of fun. How many days a week are you doing weights? Where do you train anyways?

And I'm not posting fat pics until you post pics.

JWL
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm lifting six days a week and Sunday is my rest day. I workout at Talisman and at Ironworks.

So, today was back and biceps and some shoulder work with my trainer and OMG I felt like throwing up again. LOL.... He got me to do 10 sets of sprints on a treadmill 10 seconds each with a 30 second resting period. The incline was at a 15 and the speed was 7. I couldn't catch my breath in between each set. When I reached set 7, I told him I wanted to throw up, and his response was, "Go ahead J, it's alright." LOL.

So today, we did:
2 sets of 15 lateral raises front and sides
3 sets of 10 reverse push ups
2 sets of 10 pull ups (he did most of the work!) hahaha
2 sets of going up and down stairs 10 times and to do that in less than a minute
2 sets of 12 dips (have two benches parallel from each other and have your feet on one hands on the other bench and dip that way)
2 sets of 10 on a machine, but I don't know what it's called *shrug*

Well, you saw one of my competition pictures. I say at least post an "after" pic of yourself!;)

icecreamvan
02-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by kerry
Ahhhhh
Sounds like a lot of fun. How many days a week are you doing weights? Where do you train anyways?

And I'm not posting fat pics until you post pics.

I see what you're doing. :thumbsup:

It's only a matter of time before EK2.0 picks up on the fact that there're women to be macked on in the Health and Fitness Forum.:rofl:

Archea
02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by JWL

Well, you saw one of my competition pictures. I say at least post an "after" pic of yourself!;)

I am kinda confused as to what this competition is....sorta like a healthy swimsuit and heels thing??

Kona9
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
My ex did this competition last year. Too bad she made things bad enough that I refuse to speak to her anymore. I could have gotten you some good advice or even a connection for Q and A's as she did pretty fair.

Regardless of that jazz, good luck to you in your comp!! It is a lot of work and be extremely proud of yourself regardless of your placement!

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Archea

I am kinda confused as to what this competition is....sorta like a healthy swimsuit and heels thing??

FAME= Fitness And Modelling Expo. Clear heeled, bikini, ripped all to hell bodies and alot of HARD work!! Dedication to a TEE!!

Archea
02-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

FAME= Fitness And Modelling Expo. Clear heeled, bikini, ripped all to hell bodies and alot of HARD work!! Dedication to a TEE!! [/B]

OMG wow! Thats super impressive!! Let us all know how things are going for you!! I wish I had the body to do something like that!!

kerry
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JWL
I'm lifting six days a week and Sunday is my rest day. I workout at Talisman and at Ironworks.

So, today was back and biceps and some shoulder work with my trainer and OMG I felt like throwing up again. LOL.... He got me to do 10 sets of sprints on a treadmill 10 seconds each with a 30 second resting period. The incline was at a 15 and the speed was 7. I couldn't catch my breath in between each set. When I reached set 7, I told him I wanted to throw up, and his response was, "Go ahead J, it's alright." LOL.

So today, we did:
2 sets of 15 lateral raises front and sides
3 sets of 10 reverse push ups
2 sets of 10 pull ups (he did most of the work!) hahaha
2 sets of going up and down stairs 10 times and to do that in less than a minute
2 sets of 12 dips (have two benches parallel from each other and have your feet on one hands on the other bench and dip that way)
2 sets of 10 on a machine, but I don't know what it's called *shrug*

I hate doing incline sprints. I used to do 1 minute running at 7mph then 1 minute rest. Those sucked.

I heard reverse push ups are wicked for your delts. Never tried em though. Maybe I'll have to now.

I'll post my "after" and "before". Just so fawking lazy some days I never do anything on here. You're in way better shape than I though!

JWL
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Archea

OMG wow! Thats super impressive!! Let us all know how things are going for you!! I wish I had the body to do something like that!!

You should check it out. http://www.fameworldtour.com/. Honestly, I don't have the body too, you just have to work with what you've got plus a lot of dedication and willpower. I love my wine and cheese AND chocolates!!! But I just have to remind myself that it's only 10 weeks and it's not that bad. I still get one cheat day for the next 3 weeks to eat for the whatever I want, just no alcohol. There will be quite a few people who would want to sabotage your diet, but it's all mental. You have to be strong! Once you have reached your goal, there's no feelings to describe what you've accomplished.

JWL
02-13-2008, 04:47 PM

I'll post my "after" and "before". Just so fawking lazy some days I never do anything on here. You're in way better shape than I though!

haha... thanks for the compliment, but I'm still a weakling! hahaha... I still have a long way to go, so any suggestions on how to improve would be great! Nothing wrong with getting more info.

Regardless of that jazz, good luck to you in your comp!! It is a lot of work and be extremely proud of yourself regardless of your placement!

Thanks! I'm not too worried about placement. I know some of these competitions are pretty rigged. I'm going in with no expectations, I'm just going to have fun with it.

I have a friend who is helping me with my Q&As. She's a fitness model and has been doing this since 2005 full time. She did FAME Worlds last year and I think she placed 6th. So, I think I'm in good hands with the walking and posing.

kerry
02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
A weakling? I'm sure you're a little tank by the sounds of it. Usually when I did the incline sprints, I did them for longer periods of time, and actually got a treadmill close to the washroom so I could puke hahaha. Never actually puked but came pretty fucking close a few times.

I think we should arm wrestle, post a vid on beyond and then everyone on here can see me get my ass kicked by a lady!

JWL
02-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Hahaha.... not sure if I can kick your butt in an arm wrestle, you'll probably break my arm.

If you are interested, you can come to the gym and do a workout session with my and my trainer. I'll make sure we'll do a leg workout. hahahah... I remember the first time I did a leg workout with him and two other people (a guy and a girl), the guy couldn't finish the workout cuz he threw up he breakfast. hahaha... I have to admit that it made me feel good that I finished the session, but that guy definitely got a wake up call when two girls finished the session and didn't throw up.

Anyway, I'll let you think about it... next session is on Monday.

1-Bar
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM

I hate doing incline sprints. I used to do 1 minute running at 7mph then 1 minute rest. Those sucked.

I heard reverse push ups are wicked for your delts. Never tried em though. Maybe I'll have to now.

You've got nothing on me, my strength and conditioning day was 30sec on 30sec off x 5, incline set to steep, speed at 7 AND with an elastic tied around my waist with my buddy pulling back....

After that 5 minutes of hell, we do 25 box jumps and some other various stuff that is "fun" then we do 2 more rounds and call it a day :thumbsup:

kerry
02-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Well damn.

I'm goin to have to step up my game before I get my ass kicked on Sunday hey? Hahahah

Kona9
02-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by JWL

I have a friend who is helping me with my Q&As. She's a fitness model and has been doing this since 2005 full time. She did FAME Worlds last year and I think she placed 6th. So, I think I'm in good hands with the walking and posing.

UH OH! May I ask for a first name of said advise giver?

lint
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JWL
There will be quite a few people who would want to sabotage your diet, but it's all mental. You have to be strong!

And to think I was going to treat you to lunch before I switched to my new job. But I wouldn't want to be a saboteur...

JWL
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lint

And to think I was going to treat you to lunch before I switched to my new job. But I wouldn't want to be a saboteur...

LOL! Congrats! When do you start? Will it still be in the downtown area? Well, you can always treat me to a nice chicken salad. :o)

JWL
02-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

UH OH! May I ask for a first name of said advise giver?

PM'd you.

JWL
02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

You've got nothing on me, my strength and conditioning day was 30sec on 30sec off x 5, incline set to steep, speed at 7 AND with an elastic tied around my waist with my buddy pulling back....

After that 5 minutes of hell, we do 25 box jumps and some other various stuff that is "fun" then we do 2 more rounds and call it a day :thumbsup:

Wow that's impressive! I know my legs will feel like jello after something like that. :)

lint
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JWL

LOL! Congrats! When do you start? Will it still be in the downtown area? Well, you can always treat me to a nice chicken salad. :o)

Starting March 3, but I'll be up in Edmonton training for the first bit. Client is in Bankers, so when I get settled in my new role, we'll make lunch plans.

1-Bar
02-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by JWL

Wow that's impressive! I know my legs will feel like jello after something like that. :)

haha yeah it felt as if i haven't had any legs....Kinda like Lt. Dan off of Forrest Gump....box jumps were scary as I thought I was going to bail on all the reps

JWL
04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
So, the comp is in two weeks and I thought I would do a little update for those who are interested. I still have a lot of sh!t to do, but I'm feeling pretty good, there are days where I question myself to why I put myself through this torture, but when I see results, I just push myself harder. :)

I decided to sew my own swimwear as well as my theme wear. It took me awhile to do, but it definately saved me some money. Getting a plain old swimsuit would have costed $150 minus the bling. I was able to do mine for about $100. I'm doing an Asian theme wear, which I have to say looks really cute! Anyway, I'm still doing weight training, but along with that, I have to put about two hours of cardio in each day, find time to practise in my heels and get tanning in there. Honestly, I have no life and by the end of the week, I'm exhausted! I'm so happy that I only have two weeks left, but once that is done, I will continue to train, but train to build more muscles. I would like to post some pictures of my progress, but I don't know how to post pics. LOL...

So, when I first started, I weighed 126lbs with 23.6% BF, and this morning I weighed myself and I'm at 116.5lbs, and will get my BF assessed tomorrow, but my nutritionist wants me to be in the 10-12% range for the comp. Yikes!!!!

Oh, and to keep my sanity, I've been eating 88% dark chocolate. Not sure how bad this will affect my results, but I think I already drive a bunch of people around me nutty. LOL....

1-Bar
04-27-2008, 11:23 PM
any updates :dunno:

JWL
04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
OMG!!!!! I had so much fun at the comp even though it was a gong show! They were so disorganized it was insane. I did a little write up on my FB and this is what I wrote:

So, my day started at 5:15am where I had my first meal and I needed to get ready for my 7:00am hair and makeup appointment. Jackie did an awesome job working out in the hallway. It was also cool for me to watch some of the competitors walk by as I was going through my transformation. I was done at around 8:45am for my "10:30am" show. Well my 10:30am show ended up starting at 2:30pm. Yes, I waited that long. I was tired, but still excited to "strut" my stuff. LOL... I felt bad for my cheering squad who came early when I told them I would be on at 10:30am. I was in the Open Short Division, so this was for first timers in FAME under 5'3". There were 10 girls and I have to say that my body was pretty comparable. :o) Anyway, my main purpose was to go out there and have fun, and that's what I did! I wasn't nervous cuz I wasn't expecting to win any type of recognition from FAME cuz I knew I had already won when I stepped on that stage and inspiried my friends and family and showed them my dedication, will-power and hard work. What was really inspiring was watching the Grand Master's Division. These are people who are over the age of 50, and they look amazing!!! Anyway, back to my story. After the swimsuit portion I had my theme wear and I didn't on stage until 5:00pm. I had so much fun doing this part cuz my outfit was unique and no one had anything similar to what I made. Plus, I got a lot of compliments on it! After we were done, we had a couple of hours before the evening portion of the event. They told us to be there at 8:00pm for the 9:00pm Fitness and Bikini Model portion, but I decided that I would be there at 9:00pm instead considering what a gong show the morning/afternoon portion was. Everyone in the evening looked a lot happier cuz I guess they had some "real" food (aka sweets and I saw pizza boxes backstage)in them. LOL... Well, I have to admit I had a Snickers bar, two slices of whole wheat bread with PB and honey before the evening show. Anyway, I didn't end up getting on stage until 9:30pm and by the time it was all said and done it was 12:15am. After the show we tried to find a place that served real food, and there weren't many around 17th Ave, but I could always count on Chinatown. :o) We decided to go for some Chinese food at Silver Dragon. :o) Yay! Chinese food!!! By the time we were done, the itch from the "tanning" cream got a lot worse so I had to take it off before going to bed and that took me a good 1.5 hours to get 90% of it off. I formed a rash on certain body parts from it, like my armpits!

Anyway, I had a blast doing FAME even though it was a gong show. Would I do FAME again? Probably next year, but they do have a national show this fall... I MIGHT consider it, but that would mean I would have to diet down during the summer! Right now. I think I my goal is to build more muscles for and I am thinking is TriFit out in Vegas in July 2009.

I would like to post pictures, but like I said, I don't know how. :P

1-Bar
04-28-2008, 12:50 PM
nice update ^^^sits a waits for all the emacks^^^

JRSC00LUDE
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Cool. Good job on going through with it. :thumbsup: