PDA

View Full Version : automatic burnout??

MK3HKS
07-30-2003, 12:28 AM
hey ppl, i was just wonderin , since i have never tryed it,
is it really bad for the car, if u put it in neutral-rev it to like 3000- then put it into drive??:rofl:

no stupid comments please, just be serious!!:rofl:

rage2
07-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Ahh, good old neutral drops. I lost 1st gear in my Integra doing that years ago... I was hooked... did it at every light. Took all of a month to blow up the tranny :).

Newer cars with electronic controlled auto gearboxes won't allow neutral drops.

MK3HKS
07-30-2003, 12:41 AM
thanx man, i was just bout to do the same, :rofl: , well i gotta MK3 supra turbo, i will only do it if i take it to the 1/4 mile track to get better time:rofl:

Gotrek
07-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Just brake torque it instead Hold down the brake Bring up the revs to just before the converter locks up let go of the brake and mash the gas, this isn't for a burn out but for a good lauch like you like to do with a neutral drop.

If you actually meant a burnout then

Hold the break just enough to lock the front wheels and mash the gas (on a RWD)

Or set the parking brake and mash the gas (on a FWD)

rice_eater
07-30-2003, 08:28 AM
actually is really easy...i'm not used to driving auto so when i drive my mom's car i always seem to do it...i forget that i put the car in neutral, i hit the gas, then i'm like oh shit so i put it in gear and end up doing a retardedly loud burnout and everyone looks at me like i'm the bigger ricer :D

rice_eater
07-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Gotrek

Or set the parking brake and mash the gas (on a FWD)

actually you'd want to put it in neutral instead!

roopi
07-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Ahh, good old neutral drops. I lost 1st gear in my Integra doing that years ago... I was hooked... did it at every light. Took all of a month to blow up the tranny :).

Newer cars with electronic controlled auto gearboxes won't allow neutral drops.

:nut: :rofl:

i can see someone doing it once but every light? :rofl:

Gotrek
07-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

actually you'd want to put it in neutral instead!

Why? in neutral you won't spin any tires You have to be in drive or 1

roopi
07-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Gotrek

Why? in neutral you won't spin any tires You have to be in drive or 1

i think he meant put it in neutral and hit the gas then slam it into drive. :confused:

Gotrek
07-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Then we are back to doing neutral drops and not burnouts, I was explaining burnouts.

And againwith an auto if you want a better launch hold the brake to the floor rev it up and let go of the brake and mash the gas.

DO NOT DO NEUTRAL DROPS!!!! you'll regret it.

JDM 200sx
07-30-2003, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure if this works with all slushboxes but in my car when I want a good launch, what I do is put it in neutral, hold the brake with my left foot and rev the gas a couple of times. Doing so actually lets the brake pedal push in a little bit more. I then put it in drive and hold both pedals to the floor. My car sits there revving at about 2200 rpm. I get some awesome launches this way, for an auto that is. Next year I'll be putting in a high stall torque convertor and then I'll be launching at about 3000.

mad_psyentist
07-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Heh heh. Ever stalled an auto? I managed to stall an auto Lancer trying to burn out in reverse. Flipped her into Drive-3 during the burnout and she stalled. Whoops...

Zephyr
07-30-2003, 10:03 AM
try on a bimmer......i think it has some safety device to keep the wheels from spinning....or im doing it wrong and u cant do a neutral drop on it cuz it locks

mad_psyentist
07-30-2003, 12:00 PM
That would be a smart thing to do, actually. It's gotta be pretty nasty on the engine when someone drops it into gear like that.

Super_Geo
07-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Hey, I've never tried (for some damn obvious reasons), but say you're going in D and you accidentally shift into reverse instead of neutral, would an auto gearbox be smart enough not to put it into the reverse gear?

Gotrek
07-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Not on a regular car, an expensive one maybe.

MK3HKS
07-30-2003, 02:55 PM
i should of put a poll or somthin , i dunno who is givin me the best advice and safest to the engine:dunno:

i think the best one so far is the brake + gas then let go of brake:thumbsup:

Strider
07-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by The_Nissan_Guy
i should of put a poll or somthin , i dunno who is givin me the best advice and safest to the engine:dunno:

i think the best one so far is the brake + gas then let go of brake:thumbsup:

Originally posted by JDM 200sx
I'm not sure if this works with all slushboxes but in my car when I want a good launch, what I do is put it in neutral, hold the brake with my left foot and rev the gas a couple of times. Doing so actually lets the brake pedal push in a little bit more. I then put it in drive and hold both pedals to the floor. My car sits there revving at about 2200 rpm. I get some awesome launches this way, for an auto that is. Next year I'll be putting in a high stall torque convertor and then I'll be launching at about 3000.

that sounds about right

sin
07-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Heh heh. Ever stalled an auto?

yep, stalled my accord after spinning out 2 complete circles in a parking lot with the e-breake locked

rice_eater
07-31-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Hey, I've never tried (for some damn obvious reasons), but say you're going in D and you accidentally shift into reverse instead of neutral, would an auto gearbox be smart enough not to put it into the reverse gear?

i did that the other day by accident...it was in R for a couple secs but the car drove fine and it was smart enough not to go in reverse...i took my foot off the gas right away but it just felt like it was in neutral...now on your geo they may have left that out for price considerations :angel:

ryder_23
07-31-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I did it by accident in my car, at about 80, started shitting myself, nothing happened, dont think it will engage until about 4-5km/hr or something....but on older cars, you might kiss your tranny/engine goodbye...wouldnt recommend doing it, lol.

tommy1223
07-31-2003, 02:53 AM
wouldnt recomend it, unless it's in the rain...everythign is fun in the rain!

i dont neutral drop, i just floor it cuz the v6 will pull!

in my 93 Lumina with a V6, i use to burn out hella in the rain and sometimes in dry weather but that's bad for tranny.

my friend keeps doing that in his mazda protege and his tranny is kinda messed up now.

so DONT DO IT!

catywampusness
07-31-2003, 10:43 AM
It's horrid on your car, I know someone that almost lost a tranny trying to do a burnout in an auto.

GTS Jeff
07-31-2003, 07:42 PM
the auto tranny is clutch and belt driven, and when u neutral drop, its like dumping the clutch...cept that the clutches/belts are a lot weaker in an at than in a mt

MK3HKS
07-31-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
the auto tranny is clutch and belt driven, and when u neutral drop, its like dumping the clutch...cept that the clutches/belts are a lot weaker in an at than in a mt

is there a way to make those belts and shit stronger
?????

:dunno:

GTS Jeff
07-31-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by The_Nissan_Guy

is there a way to make those belts and shit stronger
?????

:dunno: yea, its called buying a manual car

szw
07-31-2003, 08:35 PM
i can't do a burnout...i'm lame

Mike09
07-31-2003, 08:48 PM
I love neutral drops, I don't do them but the previous owner of my 90' 240 did and he put a rod though the side of the block. Got myself a cheap project car out of someone else's lack of respect for thier cars.
So I encourage it so I can buy your car too when you blow your motor and screw your tranny up.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebbsvette
07-31-2003, 11:35 PM
man....i dont do neutral drops.....but my launch is wicked....i have a fully rebuilt 350 turbo tranny with a 2500 stall.....i hold the brake and rev to like 2400rpm and im off like a rocket.....my launch is just about as good as AWD its funny....i do not peel one bit......thats how i win all my races....by the time the other v8's catch traction im 3-6 (depending on the car) ahead of them.....i love it....automatics rule

MK3HKS
08-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Ebbsvette
man....i dont do neutral drops.....but my launch is wicked....i have a fully rebuilt 350 turbo tranny with a 2500 stall.....i hold the brake and rev to like 2400rpm and im off like a rocket.....my launch is just about as good as AWD its funny....i do not peel one bit......thats how i win all my races....by the time the other v8's catch traction im 3-6 (depending on the car) ahead of them.....i love it....automatics rule

indeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!, autos rule when you got a huge ass engine:thumbsup: major torque!!

googe
08-01-2003, 12:52 AM
I always thought of people that got auto vettes as blasphemous :D

Scat
08-01-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by mad_psyentist
Heh heh. Ever stalled an auto? I managed to stall an auto Lancer trying to burn out in reverse. Flipped her into Drive-3 during the burnout and she stalled. Whoops...

hahaha yeah
I did that in my moms grand am

I was going in reverse and then did a 180 and dropped it into drive. I started going but then it just stalled for no reason.

But neutral drops are not good! In most production cars, the autp tranny's are not very heavy duty. eg) when I switched the auto in my one 300zx to a 5 speed manual, there was a huge difference when you looked at the two. The auto looked so weak while the standard tranny looked very strong. I'm sure most fwd trannys are just as weak if not weaker, so neutral drops are not good in those cases!
In Ebbsvette's case, its a very strong transmission and is built to take the abuse.

firebirdformula
11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I have a friend with an auto 302 mustang, and he drops it in gear like that. No problems yet... I certanly won't do that with my car though.

GTS Jeff is wrong about automatics. The average auto tranny has a planetary gear system, no crappy belts or pulleys. Many Continuously Variable Transmissions or CVT's use belts and pulleys, but these trannys are rare, and don't "shift" in the traditional sense. If my automatic had belts and pulleys I would be under the fricken car more than behind the wheel.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Nice 3-year bump there.