PDA

View Full Version : Do all companies hiring check for University GPA?

Shift_Perform
02-06-2008, 06:54 PM
i Know CERTAIN companies will check your school grades prior to hiring, but im a slacker and will not have a high GPA. So my question is, will it be that big of a difference in the eye of an employer to have a 2.5 or a 3.0 or a 3.5 average?

obviously they would prefer the higher ones, but is it that that picky? and who has had experiences with a job, and was not accepted due to GPA?

Anyone just used their degree and not even needing the GPA and got the job?

GQBalla
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
ive heard of a few companies checking.
but i know for a fact not all companies check.

besides its not what you know its who you know

98type_r
02-06-2008, 07:28 PM
most don't, if any of them do then they are the exception.

roopi
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Usually only the shitty companies do. When I say that I mean the companies that you won't be happy at your job do. I'm sure there are exceptions but not many.

bluetek
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Some do. Some don't.

Don't be surprised if they ask for transcripts though as I know quite a few that do request especially for entry-level professional position.

Ajay
02-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Is it a new graduate position? If so then they will for sure require some proof of your GPA. For the interviews I've gone on I've just been asked what my GPA is and that's it. They weren't new graduate positions though.

DUBBED
02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Usually how it works is, if you're a new graduate with no 'summer' experience, your GPA will play a big role in the positions you are qualified for.

If you have experience, then not so much.

I've never been formally asked for transcripts, but I have been informed that I may be required to produce official transcipts on request many times.

TomcoPDR
02-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

:werd: :werd: :werd:

Shift_Perform
02-06-2008, 09:55 PM
haha so if someone had a 2.0 GPA and some one with a 4.0 applied for the same job (that did not check GPA) and ended up hiring the 2.0 or both, i find it unfair for the 4.0 .... but wat can i say...im the 2.0 LOL

unless there is a specific company your planning on applying for that checks, i really dont see why some people study 24/7 to end up making the same amount money...atleast at start

digi355
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I work for a big oil company, they hired a company that checked that everything on my resume was true but I don't think grades were ever looked at. I did have to give them my transcripts as proof though.

Edit, I wasn't a new grad either, I had 6 years experience when I got the job.

93accord
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
i'm pretty sure with engineering companies that a lot of them do check for GPA's. a buddy of mine landed a summer job wit encana wit his 3.6.

Shift_Perform
02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
hmmm, how about those who got checked for GPA, state COMPANY and TYPE of JOB, so those who are slackers dont get owned after they get their degree :P

arian_ma
02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Man, it's supply and demand, if they need people to work, they don't give a fuck if you're on academic probation. If there's lots of competition...well you get my point.

Seriously though, 4.0 kids waste their time a lot. Spend those 3 hours a day trying to meet people in your line of work instead of getting a 4.0 and then see where THAT gets you.
:rofl:

Edit:

Originally posted by 93accord
i'm pretty sure with engineering companies that a lot of them do check for GPA's. a buddy of mine landed a summer job wit encana wit his 3.6.

My company didn't check my GPA. They didn't even care.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
All the HR people at engineering firms I've talked to always say the same thing - GPA is really only used as a tiebreaker between two potential candidates if they can't find any other way to make a decision. Experience and how you handle the interview is key.

rc2002
02-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I know some hiring managers that hire based only on GPA. They figure that what it takes to be successful in the academic world is the same in the real world.

For summer and co-op and internship jobs, GPA matters big time. For after graduation, I'd say it's hit and miss. But it would suck to miss out on a good job just because of a low GPA.

sexualbanana
02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Depends on the industry and depends on the job. The more technical the profession (medicine, engineer, finance, accounting, etc), the more GPA matters, and with good reason obviously. Other industries that rely more on the 'softer' skills like marketing grads and certain fields of HR, then it's more of a matter of experience and overall demeanor.

Smokem
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
In the absence of experience, all else being equal, GPA is used by companies hiring new grads more as a measure of diligence, work ethic and discipline versus knowledge base and intelligence. If you have a valid reason for a lower GPA and can defend it, then employers will respect that (ie. working a full time job to pay off your education on your own).

Sadly however, just like books, resumes can be read by the cover and depending on demand, if you are one resume in a pile of 200, they will resort to filtering methods (GPA, typographical errors, grammar, etc). Bottom line, get a good GPA, keep your resume at the top - you can shine in your interview but you need to get into the door first.

Euro_Trash
02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

I am going to have to disagree when it comes to any job that there is a chance they will look at your GPA.

Crymson
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm invovled with hiring new grads and interns, and GPA is the FIRST resume filter, under 3.0 without a really extenuating cirumstance and you're pretty much eliminated if there is way more resumes than positions.

I see it as an indicator of work ethic and dedication.

OTOH, I'll try to focus mostly at the last year's GPA, it's nice to see someone who goes from a 2.0 to a 3.2 during their university career, as it shows once they got into the field that they like, they're grades came up considerably. This shows a real interest in their field to me, and that this person is concerned with success and improvement.

As for GPA being a tie breaker, i see it as the exact opposite. GPA gets you in the door, the tie breaker is in the interview room.

CLiVE
02-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Out of school I was asked for my GPA/Transcripts on several occassions. I had nothing to hide, and had a decent GPA but thought it was none of their business so always refused to send them transcripts. Most of them were happy if you just state what your GPA was. As a manager I would much rather hire an individual with a 3.0 and a personality, vs. someone with a 4.0 that is lacking in personality.

Euro_Trash
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

OTOH, I'll try to focus mostly at the last year's GPA, it's nice to see someone who goes from a 2.0 to a 3.2 during their university career, as it shows once they got into the field that they like, they're grades came up considerably. This shows a real interest in their field to me, and that this person is concerned with success and improvement.

Lol that makes me so happy, I went from a 2.3 in first year to a 3.6 in my fourth

DTTB_36
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
That is not completely true. I am on internship right now and the only reason I probably got hired was because of extracurricular activities (such as varsity sports, volunteering, etc...). At the time i was hired, my GPA was quite low (had a 2.1 in 2nd year). My third year GPA was around a 3.1 but they could only see my first semester which wasnt that high as well. The guy that does most of the hiring at my job doesn't look for the highest GPA, he told me he looks for the average GPA people and then takes a few below and above for interviews. 4.0 have a bad reputation that they are socially inedept (which i think to be true on a consistent basis).

Originally posted by richardchan2002
I know some hiring managers that hire based only on GPA. They figure that what it takes to be successful in the academic world is the same in the real world.

For summer and co-op and internship jobs, GPA matters big time. For after graduation, I'd say it's hit and miss. But it would suck to miss out on a good job just because of a low GPA.