Year : 1997
Make and Model :BMW 540i
Exterior Color : Silver
Interior Color : Black leather
Auto or Manual? : Auto with sport mode
Odometer Reading : 189k
Location of Vehicle : Calgary
Description : Full load
Extras :Lowered, 18's, clear lights, crossed drilled rotors, Mech perfect!
Asking Price : $12,500
Contact Information PM
E-Mail :
Phone :
Sorry wheels are dirty,
http://members.shaw.ca/tc20/rear1.JPG

Before the clear headlights

http://members.shaw.ca/tc20/front.JPG

**Bought a new car, so I'm bringing my old add back to life**
Since my last post, I've done the exhaust (new high flow cats and replaced the monster y-pipe/cat with a Walker racing resonator) and replaced all the intake gaskets. The car was awesome for the summer, but now that winter is here, the wife wanted someting a little higher off the ground, so no M5:cry: But i did find a cayenne Turbo:devil: that should keep her happy...and me!!
Anyways, she is still a great car and has always been meticuously maintained! I've dropped the price ALOT for a quick sale.
Thanks,

1997 540i , silver on blk leather, auto with sport mode, front and side air bags, full load (exp xenon’s) inc traction control, DSP audio w/changer, factory cellphone with voice control, heated seats and steering wheel (VERY nice in cold weather), Niche 3 piece 18” deep dish rims (polished lip), Brand new 245/40 tires, winter tires on factory rims, matching full size spare, Clear Hellas all the way around, crossed drilled rotors all 4, lowered on H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, tight and rides VERY comfortably.
Just overhauled the full suspension and anything else that wasn’t perfect, have the receipts to prove it ($7000+ @164k+ kms)
New plugs, alternator, rad, heater hoses, cabin filters, trust arm bushings, lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, inner tie rods, ball joints, battery, shocks, springs, strut mounts, alignment (dialed within factory specs), rotors and pads, tires. Even had Alberta Wheel size the hub to the OEM wheel size, meaning NO SHIMMY.

We bought it off the original owner, 50+ year old professional, who serviced it at BMW only. He traveled to Portland and back regularly. No accidents, some rock chips in the hood, original paint in very good condition (could use a power polish), and windshield is in excellent condition, no cracks. We bought it at 80k kms in 2001. We used it mostly hwy to the in laws and back, 8 hour drive. Wife drives it mostly. The car is FAST, excellent on the hwy, good hwy mileage for a V8, not bad in the city (depending on how you drive it), sport mode automatically shifts and holds the gears surprisingly well for an auto feature. The car has been perfect. Always ran synthetic at BMW, no leaks, no burning oil, breakdowns or surprises. It drives amazingly well in the snow with the winter tires. Never been stuck and it’s almost impossible to fish tail, even on purpose, with the traction control system. I can fish tail in my AWD Escalade 10x easier than this rear wheel drive car!!

The only reason we decided to overhaul any wearing parts, is because we thought we’d hang on to it for many more years. I sold my last 535 (straight 6) with nearly 300k and it still ran strong for much, much longer.

The bad;
• 2 little marks on the rear passenger interior door panel from the previous owner. He had a display rack in the back seat the in dented the panel. I had C&R Techniques look at it and quoted $100 to fix it, I just never got around to it, basically forgot about it because you don’t see it everyday.
• Some rock chips in the hood, but considering the age and that it is Calgary…I have to say the paint is in excellent condition! NO RUST ANYWHERE!
• Under the front bumper (near the engine bottom cover) is a slight warp/tear, but it is out of view. It’s been like that since the previous owner, must have been a parking block. You can just see it in the front pic.
• Little black mark on drivers’ front corner, dealer did that when they unloaded it off the truck brand new!! And NO, they never paid for it!! You can see it in the front pic.
• Couple/few pixels out on the odometer area. Common issue.

That’s all the bad.

Anyone who knows me…knows that I am very into my vehicles. I take care of them, do them up the best I can and keep all my mods tasteful. I know my cars inside out!
The car has 189k kms on it (75% hwy). Mechanically perfect!!
So if you are looking for a nice, 2 owner, smoke free, rust free, adult owned (not bagged or tracked) safe, fast, reliable for years to come, car…This may be it!

PLEASE keep in mind if you post that this is not a "been through the auction, dealership, exchanged hands 10x, eastern rusted out, mechanically unknown 1997 BMW". It's been very well taken care of all it's life!!
Thx
New price $12,500

tc3
02-07-2008, 12:09 AM
After it had the front clears with my old Grand Cherokee. Sorry about the poor cell pic.
http://members.shaw.ca/tc20/540jeep.jpg

tc3
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
forgot to mention it has 12 or 16 way adj seats. The super comfortable ones anyways.
All the brakes, tune up, major work was done at 164k with the suspension.
Price is on the higher side, But its open to reasonable offers!!

tc3
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

tc3
02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

GT4rally
02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by tc3
Willing to drop the price for serious buyers!
Appreciate any 'constructive' feed back towards my pricing details too!!
THX

I'd say your price is very reasonable, considering you seem to have taken good care of it and have adressed most of the potential problems common to the E39 5-series... like the cooling system and control arm bushings.

Check with Calgary BMW to see if the gauge cluster has been changed on warranty (faulty pixels)... if not, you still might get one.

Also, check the wires running from the seat belt tensioner to the harness under the seat. If they are even slightly kinked or flattened, they may be the cause of the SRS light.

The 540 is under-rated... almost like a stealth M5. They are Faaast! 0-100km is around 6 seconds for the auto.

tc3
02-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Never thought to check BMW to see if they'd warranty the cluster? It's only a couple that are out where the times shows, but it's still worth a try.
I'll check the wires under the seat, could be that simple...
THX

After reading that BMW is requiring a $3300 cluster swap if u import, I'm considering ditching the M5 search.

Weapon_R
02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by tc3
After reading that BMW is requiring a $3300 cluster swap if u import, I'm considering ditching the M5 search.

It's actually around $4500 all said and done. The bastards make you change your heater controls too. My brother-in-law just finished importing his.

tc3
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Why the heater cluster??

GT4rally
02-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by tc3
Never thought to check BMW to see if they'd warranty the cluster? It's only a couple that are out where the times shoes, but it's still worth a try.

Mine was replaced under warranty, by the previous owner in 2003, and it is still perfect, so BMW must use an upgraded cluster.

Weapon_R
02-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by tc3
Why the heater cluster??

It reads in Fahrenheit, they change it to read celsius.

MPowered
02-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Bumper from previous purchaser. He does take care of all his vehicles and any new owner would not be dissapointed. He's great on the follow up too!

If I was looking for a 540 I would latch onto this one.

+1 for a reference :thumbsup:

hassanc21
02-19-2008, 08:01 PM

tc3
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Ahh...one day I want the M5....next day, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle...
TTT

tc3
03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
This is about as ugly as it gets with the winters on it...

http://members.shaw.ca/tc20/540 winters.JPG

03-02-2008, 10:42 PM
been through the auction, dealership, exchanged hands 10x, eastern rusted out, mechanically unknown 1997 BMW

you forgot to add rolledback odometer, english as a second language backyard flogger.

for the funny comments, bump for this thread.

tc3
03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 410440

you forgot to add rolledback odometer, english as a second language backyard flogger.

for the funny comments, bump for this thread.

That too!! Thx

one more pic...sorry camera phone pic...

There is alot of 'meat' on those tires compared to the 18's...But it's like riding on air!!! And like I mentioned before, they do an amazing job in the snow!!

http://members.shaw.ca/tc20/540 winters2.jpg

infamous
03-03-2008, 12:38 AM
any chance you'd want to part with the summers?

tc3
03-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Not right now. I've had them forever, but I still think they look hot on this car!! And they're 3 piece too!

infamous
03-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Free bump:

if you do ever want to sell your rims, i'm first in line please....

tc3
03-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Lots of inquiries... Nothing too serious yet!
So... TTT

tc3
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM

tc3
03-18-2008, 04:46 PM

tc3
03-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Bump
Had a member look at it this week...Maybe he'll share his impressions!?!? Hint, hint;)

dinglenuts
03-29-2008, 08:59 AM
^^ nice! Hey taric, sorry man i've been so stupid busy, just to let everyone know, this guy is for real. i went and had a good look at this car a couple days ago. he is honest in his post, the items he mentioned as "bad" were all minor and accurate, the only negative he left out was a rock chip in one fog light, but he only noticed when i did, as far the general condition of the car, its really really good for 97, paint would look real nice with a summer wax job, interior was a little"winterized" but the condition was dead on, even the driver's seat leather was in great shape, no stress marks or cracks, as far as the suspension, looks sweet a little lower and all the parts he claims to have replaced are there with receipts. Everything worked well, the couple pixels that were out were barely noticeable. All 8 tires were in new condition and the summer rims look pretty pimpin on this thing. Obviously car is fast and powerful, drives excellent, engine sounds smmmoooooth. In my opinion, if a guy spent a saturday doing a little detailing, it would look excellent. By the way Taric, i would have bought it but this whole job thing happened to me this week and i want to see how it plays out before i spend any more cash, but thanks for your time, it was nice to meet a stand up guy, your little girls a little sweetheart too, have a great day, good luck with the sale.

tc3
03-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Thx Russ, good luck with your job decisions!!

GT4rally
03-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Honestly man, you'll have better luck if you put the stock wheels back on it and put it in the Auto Trader... kinda the wrong crowd here on beyond.

Some interior pictures could help.

Also, try the Alberta BMW Club site's classified section.

tc3
03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't know, this is the car that took me from my days in 400hp mustangs, BMW E36's, VW's and Nissan's. It's kind of the next step from those fun, younger cars into more of a mature but still VERY fun/fast car?! It has every day drive ability without the constant concerns or upkeep the other cars require. And u don't have to store it every winter.
I was 24/25 when I got my first 5 series, it can't be too far for many members here?!? We're not all still 18 anymore...even though some of us may still act like it...:D

dinglenuts
03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
hey, i'm only 29, i find this car attractive, not to mention, kinda makes a guy feel like hes doing pretty good driving around a cool car like this.

tc3
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
TTT

tc3
04-14-2008, 04:14 PM
In for an oil change, seat belt tensioner, and new O2 sensors tomorrow!!:thumbsup:

tc3
04-27-2008, 09:45 PM
No more warning lights, every thing's running perfectly!!

tc3
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
TTT
Summers going on this weekend...as long as it doesn't snow:rolleyes:

tc3
06-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Late Bump...
OBO

tc3
11-17-2009, 11:40 AM
NEW PRICE $12,500
Bought a new car, so please read the first post to see what is new to the car since the original post.
Thanks

tc3
11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Great car!! Needs a good home.
If you've ever owned a 3 series, you'll love the 540. It's a totally different type of power!
$12,000

tc3
12-09-2009, 10:46 PM
TTT

tc3
01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
TTT

tc3
02-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Haven't kept on top of this lately, It really is an awesome car....