PDA

View Full Version : Magnus's Shady Buisness Dealings Called Out and Proven

ron korolak
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
This was just posted by David Bushur! So I guess not only do they crack they also loose power.

The testing is finished. We had 4 guys show up to witness the testing this morning.

Eric Nixon was here just for the testing. Bobby Koenig showed up for some work and stuck around. Ron Shearer came by to drop off some headers with his employee Dan.

The first pull was done around 10 am with the stock intake, stock throttle body again. Baseline pull was 615 whp/485 ft lbs of torque. Todays intake air temps were down about 30 degrees and the boost was up almost 3 psi compared to yesterday. Good thing we re-did the base pulls today.

This entire test was done in front of these four witnesses. To be dead honest I was extremely nervous about the entire thing, wishing that I had never gotten myself into this. I was up most of the night last night worrying about it. We also of course had most of the guys here at the shop in the back for witnesses but since they work here I can't use them for further witnesses to the testing.

After the baseline was done I had everyone watch me close the laptop lid and turn the car off. I wanted it clear nothing was touched.

The car NEVER LEFT THE DYNO for the intake swap. We loosened the front straps only and did the swap right on the dyno.

After the swap was completed I asked Ron Shearer to sit in the passenger seat and hold the laptop, also to witness nothing was being messed with. The dyno was never shut off or re-set.

From the time of the base pull to the time of the pull with the Magnus was 1 hour and 3 minutes apart.

Both pulls were started at 176 degree coolant temps. All dyno runs went to WOT at 2500, the dyno recorded the runs from 3,000 rpm to 8,000 rpm.

The boost was not adjusted and neither were the AFR's. I was going to re-tune the car but I think anyone with a half a brain will see it is quite obvious a re-tune would have done nothing to help the situation.

Now for the numbers. 615 whp and 485 ft lbs on the stock intake/stock throttle body. 598 whp and 446 ft lbs on the old style Magnus intake/stock throttle body.

This means it is down 17 whp at peak power and 39 ft lbs of torque.

The WHP is even worse than it was the last time I tested it and the loss in the midrange is right where I remember it being, 35 whp/35 ft lbs.

When the test was over Ron Shearer asked me to do a boost leak check just to make sure that nothing was missed. We pulled the i/c pipe off at the FMIC and performed the test, NO leaks, this was after the Magnus. I also showed everyone when we bolted the Magnus intake on the car that we installed the throttle cable tight so it was adusted correctly and the car would absolutely reach full throttle.

The bottom line here is this is the proof. This is exactly what happened the last two times we tested it. I may be a lot of things but I am no liar.

We have it all on video, I will post that in a few minutes.

Here's the dyno sheet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/jrod@buschur/StockIMvsMAGNUSSMIM.jpg

Run #1 is the stock intake/stk tb, baseline, those are the solid lines.
Run #2 is the Magnus intake/stk tb, those are the dotted lines.

DonJuan
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
$900 for one of those manifolds and they lose power? I'd be pissed!

Supa Dexta
02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
this has caused so much shit on the dsm boards the last month.. I'd never buy one solely based on the amount I've seen blasted open though..

http://forum.widsm.org/userpix/297_intake_manifold_020_1.jpg

What do the kids say these days...

FAIL....

Jason Lange
02-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Looks pretty crappy overall anyways who would pay $900 for that thing?

EK 2.0
02-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Man back when I was CycloneAWD I dreamed about a Magnus on my DSM...

heavyD
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Man back when I was CycloneAWD I dreamed about a Magnus on my DSM...

I thought about putting one on my Eclipse as they had a good reputation.

Supa Dexta
03-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Whats the update on this, something about a fake manifold was tested somewheres in this mess. I havent had time to look into it..