PDA

View Full Version : How GT-R will be sold to public

Xtrema
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124681

At least that's USA. How about Canada? Does any Calgary Nissan dealership meet the requirements to sell GT-R?

JRSC00LUDE
02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
"Dealers will also be required to file all GT-R paperwork, such as factory orders for the GT-R, through Nissan North America's regional sales offices, which will oversee the sales prices of the car and provide "counsel" in case of price gouging."

Nice to see.

A790
02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Price gouging for that car will fuck up the resale on them. Good on Nissan for trying to step in early.

me&you
02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by A790
Price gouging for that car will fuck up the resale on them. Good on Nissan for trying to step in early.

How would it fuck up resale?

I know a couple people in very high spots on local GTR lists... MSRP, it's in a contract and there won't be anything the dealers can do about that. One of them has been on a list for a couple years... maybe the dealer underestimated the GTR and the market...

benyl
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
$3K for paint????

403Gemini
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by me&you

How would it fuck up resale?

I know a couple people in very high spots on local GTR lists... MSRP, it's in a contract and there won't be anything the dealers can do about that. One of them has been on a list for a couple years... maybe the dealer underestimated the GTR and the market...

"very high up" and they're waiting for a skyline? Tell them to buy a real car if they're THAT high up :thumbsup:

*stirs the pot*

Xtrema
02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by benyl
$3K for paint????

May be it's blended with crushed diamond.

Darkenergy
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

"very high up" and they're waiting for a skyline? Tell them to buy a real car if they're THAT high up :thumbsup:

*stirs the pot*

I think he meant high up on the waiting list?

Canmorite
02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't understand why they won't let market dictate the price. Its not 'gouging' if the buyer is willing to pay for it. If its too expensive, don't buy.

arian_ma
02-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I don't understand why they won't let market dictate the price. Its not 'gouging' if the buyer is willing to pay for it. If its too expensive, don't buy.

But there's always a group of people who are willing to "pay" because they hear the car being hyped up so much that fuck it up for everyone else who actually wants the car for it's heritage.

ScottysZ
02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Cause it looks bad for Nissan if they designed a car to compete in a certain market (70-80k US) and no one can get their hands on it for less than 100 or 120 or whatever, and they get nothing extra from it. Also shows a lack of dealer foresight because people hear about it and decide to buy a honda or some other car because they remember nissan gouging people for something like 20 grand. Dealers shoot themselves in the foot for a little more cash in the short run.

The exact thing happened like a year ago with the mustang GT500 and it pissed off a lot of people, most of whom werent even in the market for one. For example, some asshole at Cam Clark Ford was trying to sell a new 07 GT500 for $122,000. What does that tell you about how much they care about customers that theyre willing to just bend people over like that?

403Gemini
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Darkenergy

I think he meant high up on the waiting list?

I fail at forums :thumbsdow

Xtrema
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Simple. Nissan has nothing to gain from it except bad PR. So they won't have people working for Nissan tarnish their name.

In some way, you're right. The buyer can try to flip it at whatever people are wiling to pay. But by then, it isn't really Nissan's problem other than void of warranty.

Kavy
02-08-2008, 01:51 AM
/give left testicle
/give right arm
/get asian chicks
/lose all friends
/lose house
/look sexy living in a GTR

end program

me&you
02-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Simple. Nissan has nothing to gain from it except bad PR. So they won't have people working for Nissan tarnish their name.

In some way, you're right. The buyer can try to flip it at whatever people are wiling to pay. But by then, it isn't really Nissan's problem other than void of warranty.

The legally can't void the warranty. Nissan threatened to do the same thing when the 350 first came out and quickly dropped that idea.

403Gemini - One of them will be waiting for the GTR in his Ferrari, so I think he'll be fine ;)

There's talk that the GTR will be $120-ish in the secondary market when first released...

blownz
02-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm all for letting people over pay for a new car just because they want to be one of the first but I just could never see myself doing it no matter how much money I had.

Lets say you pay 120k right now for a 90k GTR. Wouldn't you just feel like a huge idiot in 2 years when it is easy to buy a brand new one for 85-90 and there are several 2 year old ones like yours selling for say 70k? I mean you flushed 50 grand down the toilet just to own the car a bit sooner than you could have otherwise. Wouldn't you sound stupid telling people you paid a 30k premium just to be one of the first? :dunno:

403Gemini
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by blownz
I'm all for letting people over pay for a new car just because they want to be one of the first but I just could never see myself doing it no matter how much money I had.

Lets say you pay 120k right now for a 90k GTR. Wouldn't you just feel like a huge idiot in 2 years when it is easy to buy a brand new one for 85-90 and there are several 2 year old ones like yours selling for say 70k? I mean you flushed 50 grand down the toilet just to own the car a bit sooner than you could have otherwise. Wouldn't you sound stupid telling people you paid a 30k premium just to be one of the first? :dunno:

:werd:

I'm NOT saying the GTR isnt a great car... but its nothing SOOO exotic that its worth saying "I AM NUMBER 1!!!" With the launch of the Veyron or Enzo or any car like that, it'd be worth saying you were part of round 1 of the buyers... but not for a freaking Nissan.

blownz
02-08-2008, 09:37 AM
^ I can actually understand doing it at an auction like the with the million for the first ZR1 because you get to be first (and publicly first which is obviously what these people want) and you get a 900k tax receipt for helping out a charity.

403Gemini
02-08-2008, 09:42 AM
^ I can actually understand doing it at an auction like the with the million for the first ZR1 because you get to be first (and publicly first which is obviously what these people want) and you get a 900k tax receipt for helping out a charity.

To me owning a corvette (especially a ZR1) is leaps and bounds beyond owning a skyline.

edit: But i agree, doing it for a charity would be great

benyl
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Why don't you ask the early adopter IPhone buyers?

Most of them said, I wanted to have it first and have it right away and were willing to pay extra.

blownz
02-08-2008, 10:22 AM
True but like I said I wouldn't do it and I would still feel like an idiot saying I paid double for something just to have it (in this case) 2-3 months before the majority of people. And actually I think it is worse with the iphone since it is something that in the end isn't anywhere close to being rare. And like most cell phones it will be almost worthless in 2-3 years.

*edit*

The funny thing about the iphone too is that most of the people that well overpaid just to be first are kids living at home with their parents and just want to look cool in front of their friends at school. They don't even have the money, they are just stupid (IMO).

benyl
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
they are just stupid (IMO).

Like people who pay over MSRP for a GTR.

Canmorite
02-08-2008, 10:43 AM

The legally can't void the warranty. Nissan threatened to do the same thing when the 350 first came out and quickly dropped that idea.

403Gemini - One of them will be waiting for the GTR in his Ferrari, so I think he'll be fine ;)

There's talk that the GTR will be $120-ish in the secondary market when first released...

So if the warranty void isn't in effect, I too expect them to be at least 15K over MSRP when put up for sale in the first few months after delivery.

me&you
02-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Like people who pay over MSRP for a GTR.

At one point every car in your signature went for over MSRP (well, maybe not the e92)... all the first owners were idiots?

Generally, the guys that pays over couldn't care less about the amount over MSRP; he wants it, he gets it. In 2 years when the GTR is readily available, the one he bought for over list is long gone and he's onto the newest "it" car... meanwhile, people without the means (not directed at anyone specifically) are still on the sidelines, complaining about how they'd never pay over list for the current flavour of the month.

treg50
02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Nissan customer service is shit. Sure they'll be good to you for a while, but I'm sure it will deteriorate to the way is today. Nissan's customer service is probably the only negative to wanting a GT-R.

benyl
02-08-2008, 02:03 PM

At one point every car in your signature went for over MSRP (well, maybe not the e92)... all the first owners were idiots?

Anyone who paid over MSRP, yes.

I have a deposit on the EVO X MR. If the dealer tries to charge me more than MSRP, I will walk out the door with my deposit.

403Gemini
02-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Nissan customer service is shit. Sure they'll be good to you for a while, but I'm sure it will deteriorate to the way is today. Nissan's customer service is probably the only negative to wanting a GT-R.

"You modded your skyline? Warranty is void!"

strong
02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Im a little unsure of the few people crying about well if you mod it, your warranty is void. Well I dont know if you are a aware but THATS HOW IT WORKS WITH JUST ABOUT EVERY NEW CAR OUT THERE. Unless of course you are lucky enough that the dealer sells parts, i.e mopar, nismo, trd. So in time I am sure there will be some Nismo parts but for now quit frigin whining why cant you just be happy that we have a brand new GTR that you dont have to wait 15 years for.

dino_martini
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I want a GTR. :drool:

ExOz
02-08-2008, 11:38 PM
The minister of warfare and fincance (wife) has let me put the new GT-R on my short list of cars to buy when we hit Canada!

This is the first Nissan I have actually considered owning besides the BNR32.