PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Lock Up?

teggypimp95
02-07-2008, 05:48 PM
So i was doing some reading online about photography, and the subject of mirror lock up was mentioned.

So i guess its to help vibrations to get a clearer image?
How many of you use the method? And when is the best time to use it? Sorry if this question is a bit nooby.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I would if any of my cameras supported that function, haha!

But, yeah, it helps reduce vibration and is especially handy on a tripod for longer exposures.

AccentAE86
02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I never use it.

slight vibrations have never been a problem.

Maybe for a shorter long exposure, like 0.5 seconds. But I figure for a long exposure of 2 seconds or so, a milisecond or two of micro vibration would hardly have an effect on a 2 second exposure.

But really.... I never use it.

It's like trying to squeeze 1hp more out of an engine that's already running 499hp; I just don't see it making any kind of a significant difference.

but that's just an opinon. some internet photographers say you'd be retarded to not use it.

Melinda
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
but that's just an opinon. some internet photographers say you'd be retarded to not use it.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I never use it either. Tripod has always worked well for me when it comes to long exposure. Just dont see the point to go to the added effort when the end results will esentially be the same thing.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I wish to heck I had it for macro work. At those close distances, the tiniest amount of shake is magnified hugely. It does have a purpose.

AccentAE86
02-07-2008, 07:32 PM
ok fine, when shooting at 600mm then the slightest vibration will have an effect, but if you're shooting over 400mm, you should be using really high shutter speeds anyhow. And if you aren't, then you should have an amazingly sturdy, heavy and steady tripod.

Hmm, I haven't found it to be a problem for macro shooting... but I don't use a 180mm macro lens... just the good 'ol EF-S 60mm.

FiveFreshFish
02-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Doesn't do much good unless you use it in conjunction with a remote shutter release or timer.

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I use MLU for macro all the time and I can definitely notice the difference - especially when working with an extension tube on the 300/4. I use it either with the timer or a remote. I also find live view extremely helpful - I can zoom in super close on the LCD, manual focus down to 1:1 and get a sharp picture every time.

Gibson
02-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Does that mean that the picture of the flying semen/satellites posted on here awhile back will become obsolete?

-1 :thumbsdow

Anyways...

DENZILDON
02-08-2008, 08:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken mirror lock up is one trick that photographers use to take pics of lightning. Combined with a remote they just open the mirror up, wait for lightning then close it after.

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
If I'm not mistaken mirror lock up is one trick that photographers use to take pics of lightning. Combined with a remote they just open the mirror up, wait for lightning then close it after.

You might be thinking of "bulb", where the shutter stays open until you release/press again the remote button or shutter button.

DENZILDON
02-08-2008, 09:37 AM
^^^ Yeah Maybe! :D

Ferio_vti
02-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Since I dont' have a remote for my camera, I use it for long exposures to avoid shaking the camera.

qrankz
02-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Ya..there's a little difference in the pictures shooting with a remote or cable release at 1 to 2 second exposures. I used mirror lockup during the lunar eclipse on wednesday and the pics came out a bit sharper.