PDA

View Full Version : Attention: People who work at a BANK

2.2vtec
07-30-2003, 06:00 PM
I've been trying forever to get a job at a bank and it seems that they never call. I don't understand I know this girl who got a job at bank of montreal and she doesn't even have a high school diploma. I'm finishing the last 2 years of my degree in finance and would really like to get my foot in the door within a bank(teller, etc). So if anyone has any connections for a job in this industry please pm. I'm willing to pay the person 15% of my paychecks for 2 months for hooking me up!!:D

3G
07-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
I've been trying forever to get a job at a bank and it seems that they never call. I don't understand I know this girl who got a job at bank of montreal and she doesn't even have a high school diploma. I'm finishing the last 2 years of my degree in finance and would really like to get my foot in the door within a bank(teller, etc). So if anyone has any connections for a job in this industry please pm. I'm willing to pay the person 15% of my paychecks for 2 months for hooking me up!!:D

i start on august 5 at the Royal Bank, and I don't have a high school Diploma...I'll see what I can do for you

K271
07-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Why a bank?? Why don't you just skip the bank job and goto something bigger?

2.2vtec
07-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by K271
Why a bank?? Why don't you just skip the bank job and goto something bigger?

..because to move on to something bigger you probably need experience. No experience, no job. Hey if you know anything bigger then let me know!

Shaolin
07-30-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm trying to get a job in Finance/Accounting as well, although i'm not looking into working for a bank.

2.2vtec
07-30-2003, 11:07 PM
^

5gluder
07-30-2003, 11:35 PM
I just started at the bank, it took me 3 months of applying everywhere and harrasing the the HR dept. To this day i don't know thier hiring criteria, i mean they will hire anyone off the street but when somebody with an education applys they won't even take a second look:rolleyes:. I graduated last year in Finance and the bank was the last place i wanted to work, after looking for a job for over a year i had no choice:( I don't have much lerveage though, due to the fact that i worked a total of 50 hours over the last month, i don't even have garunteed hours.

2.2vtec
07-30-2003, 11:41 PM
May I ask where you graduated from??

5gluder
07-30-2003, 11:44 PM
SAIT

2.2vtec
07-30-2003, 11:54 PM
There is this guy a know that always brags about how he got into the haskenye school of buisness at the U of C and he thinks he can get a job right away because of where he will be graduating from. Can anyone give their opinions??

yankeefan
07-30-2003, 11:59 PM
getting a job is more who you know then what you know, is the good part about college you get to meet alot of people and can network your way into future jobs. the degrees helps of course too. but knowing people is the key

Weapon_R
07-31-2003, 12:20 AM
Like most jobs, patience and persistence will get you where you need to be. It doesn't really matter about your education in an entry level job such as a teller. It may help you move along the ladder once you get in, however. The reason I say that education doesnt matter is that there are so many instances where people rarely have a high school diploma and find a teller job. My sister has been employed as a teller with Scotia bank for months now, following work experience program in school where she was offered a job by the bank commencing her work experience program. Now, she is negotiating a schedule with the bank to attend Sait in the business admin program, with some of the tuition being paid by the bank. Not bad.

It's just persistence and patience. Keep trying. Talk to people who are already employed with the bank and ask them to take in your resume for you on their behalf. You have no idea how many people apply for teller positions, so it helps if you can find someone who is able to hand the HR manager your resume firsthand.

If I were you, however, i'd pursue something slightly better than a teller's position. With a finance degree, you have your foot in the door for something bigger and better. Apply at other financial organizations, investment companies, and even at the bigger outlets in Calgary under their accounting division. There are so many things you can pursue if you decide to take that route.

Shaolin
07-31-2003, 12:47 AM
When i put my resume up on Monster.ca, I got calls and calls and calls.. day after day.. but it was the same type of companies like Investor Group, Primerica, etc.. I personally will not sell stuff and look for clients... not really my style, but if you are into that stuff, then you'll have no problem finding a job while doing your finance degree.

Graduating from a specific institution may get your ass in easier, but no company is going to base their whole hiring decision on the institution. Like someone said in here, it's more of who you know than what you know, although if you don't know shit then you're screwed. A couple buddies of mine graduated with their Comp Sci degrees a couple years ago, and they haven't found a thing, the same with another friend of mine with a Mech Eng degree, he's still doing retail..

max_boost
07-31-2003, 01:06 AM
What's the pay like for HR professionals?
I'm going to end up delivering packages for Fed Ex or something:(

tommy1223
07-31-2003, 03:42 AM
a bank is a good place to start out in jobs cuz it will look good on ur resume and ur employer will know that they can trust u around THEIR money and such.

they pay pretty good too!

roopi
07-31-2003, 09:18 AM
i graduated with my Comp Sci degree in April and I have a Bus Admin diploma as well and I haven't found anything yet. So I've decided to upgrade a few of my skills at NAIT. Hopefully this helps. If not I'll just cut my losses and start a business. :D

My cousin started part-time at RBC 5 years ago when she started university and she just graduated and they made her asssitant manager. Not bad.

Mikaldor
07-31-2003, 12:21 PM

The recruiter for RBC is a friend of mine. Shoot me a PM if you want me to pass your resume along to her and try and hook you up for an interview.

Mikaldor
07-31-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

HR jobs vary in pay depending upon industry and company size. Entry level HR jobs should pay a minimum of 28k/year. But finding the HR job is the problem. Very slow in the HR field right now. :thumbsdow

max_boost
07-31-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Mikaldor

HR jobs vary in pay depending upon industry and company size. Entry level HR jobs should pay a minimum of 28k/year. But finding the HR job is the problem. Very slow in the HR field right now. :thumbsdow Dam I guess my concentration in Industrial Relations and Human Resources is going to the crap hole:rofl:

sml
07-31-2003, 05:51 PM
If you are assuming that banks won't hire you because you have "higher" education, why don't you just NOT put that you've been through college and say that you only grad from highschool! Wouldn't that be wacky... It's even easily than lying about how you have an education on your resume but you actually don't! haha! But seriously, I know a couple guys intentionally not put that they're PEng on their resume because they're afraid that they're overqualified for the position and that the employers don't want you because they cannot afford you. Yes, you can be OVERqualified for a job.

theken
07-31-2003, 06:02 PM
how much does a bank pay??

xkon
07-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

a loomis driver i know gets over $100000 a year... not bad!

B18C
07-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Sure knowing the right people helps but in the end I truly believe that persistence pays off.

GTS Jeff
07-31-2003, 08:21 PM
i used to be a csr at td canadatrust.

being a teller is more about customer service than how much u know about financial shit. so be a csr somewhere else for awhile - get customer service experience - then go apply at a bank again.

Blue Devil 2
09-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Congratualations on getting the job!! :clap:

Kona9
09-26-2003, 09:11 AM
try cutting your mullet. Banks don't like mullets. j/k My roomy is a financial investor at royal. I will ask hima few for ya. see what I can do. good luck.

Talies R
09-26-2003, 09:19 AM
:clap: I knew you'd get that job... now post some pics of those hotties you work with.

civic_ek4
09-27-2003, 07:32 PM
yeah, i have the same problem too. it's had getting into the bank, last time i check a teller only gets paid $9.XX
i had a job with TELUS until i was laid off they pay good $12.53 but i had only finish my training and our whole dept. got shut down.

i have a B. Admin diploma and working towards my B. mgt degree majoring in accounting. maybe i'll get my CGA or CMA

help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2.2vtec
09-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Wow this is an old thread but I eventually got the job as a teller. They pay alot more then 9.00 an hour but i'm in it for just the experience and to get my foot in the door.

5gluder
09-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Wow this is an old thread but I eventually got the job as a teller. They pay alot more then 9.00 an hour but i'm in it for just the experience and to get my foot in the door.

Congrats, which bank?

Mikaldor
09-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Congrats!!!