PDA

View Full Version : Viper May Be Killed Off

Eleanor
02-09-2008, 04:25 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jalopnik is reporting that, according to several of its sources, the decision has already been made that the Dodge Viper SRT10 will be cancelled, as well. The decision was reportedly made after Cerberus took control of Chrysler and was not part of the automaker's future product plans prior to its split with Daimler.

Article Here (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/08/has-cerberus-killed-the-viper/)

Sharpie
02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Darn...

badatusrnames
02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2043/2253667908_2ec4b42ce2.jpg?v=0

Benny
02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Why the fuck would you do that? It's pretty much the only real muscle car Dodge has had for the last 16 years. At least with the Challenger and Charger they've got some cars that ain't so bad.

Xtrema
02-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Cerberus happened. They all know this will happen. They are just a bunch of accountants and cost of Viper never justify the return unless you are a car guy.

Dodge got lucky that Callenger got approved before it took over. And it better make good $$$ before that get chopped too.

Destinova403
02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
i hate to admit it but i agree with the decision to cut it. Chrysler needs its development money to concentrate on making more fuel efficient cars and stop losing money every year. i'm sure that once the company is back on solid footing, they will bring back the Viper or another Halo car that will be able to take its place.

the detroit automakers really need to do whatever they can to develop more desirable "bread and butter" cars... these niche cars will come with time.

as automotive enthusiasts its sad to see the Halo cars go but we need to understand that the bean counters and the general public don't want these cars. they sell in small numbers and lose money.

dj_rice
02-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Anyone remember this show back in the 90s???The scenery looks awfully familiar..hmmmm ;)

A3QudqJr-rA

scat19
02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
viper lol

phrozen
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
good it was a POS.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
The sad part is that it never would have happened if Mercedes hadn't sucked Chrysler dry.

Eleanor
02-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by scat19
viper lol

Originally posted by phrozen
good it was a POS.

You two are idiots.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
The sad part is that it never would have happened if Mercedes hadn't sucked Chrysler dry.

Yep Daimler fucked over Chrysler pretty good.

Hash_man
02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Hahaha that viper show was awesome!

And kind of a shame for chrysler on this one... not a huge fan of the viper myself, but its a pretty intense car. However I do think they have a lot bigger issues that concern the future of their company, and need to focus on its more obtainable vehicles first.

Graham_A_M
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
You two are idiots.

I think we knew Phrozen was an idiot for a while.

(about that NE thread with someone poking fun of the NE)
"suck my dick bitches I take offence to that"

wow what a loser. :rolleyes:

Team_Mclaren
02-09-2008, 06:55 PM
<-- waits as all the hondafanboys unite and say that the civic is a better car because it has more hp/L bs.

ScottysZ
02-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
i hate to admit it but i agree with the decision to cut it. Chrysler needs its development money to concentrate on making more fuel efficient cars and stop losing money every year. i'm sure that once the company is back on solid footing, they will bring back the Viper or another Halo car that will be able to take its place.

the detroit automakers really need to do whatever they can to develop more desirable &quot;bread and butter&quot; cars... these niche cars will come with time.

as automotive enthusiasts its sad to see the Halo cars go but we need to understand that the bean counters and the general public don't want these cars. they sell in small numbers and lose money.

Bingo.:thumbsup:

Better to lose an icon than for the whole company to go belly up.

Strider
02-10-2008, 01:55 PM

the detroit automakers really need to do whatever they can to develop more desirable &quot;bread and butter&quot; cars... these niche cars will come with time.

Agreed... in the case of many successful auto manufacturers, R&D dollars put into "halo cars" usually pays itself back once the companies start trickling technologies down into their lower models and they have a competitive advantage over others on their bread and butter cars.

Unfortunately, the Viper is rather archaic and development dollars that get poured into it doesn't provide any return.

Still, I'll be sad to see it go... at least it kept chevrolet on their toes.

Originally posted by dj_rice
Anyone remember this show back in the 90s???The scenery looks awfully familiar..hmmmm ;)

I loved that show... I hope they release it on DVD.

mark4091
02-10-2008, 02:36 PM

well said.

gpomp
02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Yep Daimler fucked over Chrysler pretty good. yeah, the chrysler 300 and all the other LX cars were such a huge failure!!! :rolleyes:

BerserkerCatSplat
02-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
yeah, the chrysler 300 and all the other LX cars were such a huge failure!!! :rolleyes:

A couple of halfway decent cars that Chrysler was forced to pay out the ass for does not make up for the 8-billion dollar Chrysler emergency fund that was suddenly and illegally transferred into Daimler's coffers and never returned. This isn't the first time DCX has fucked over companies, see Freightliner and Fokker for two examples.

EK 2.0
02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

&lt;-- waits as all the hondafanboys unite and say that the civic is a better car because it has more hp/L bs.

The Honda Integra Type R was a far superior car...

It produced way more HP/L, and had better fuel economy to boot. And the biggest plus, you never burnt your calves on side pipes when you got out of the car.

finboy
02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

The Honda Integra Type R was a far superior car...

It produced way more HP/L, and had better fuel economy to boot. And the biggest plus, you never burnt your calves on side pipes when you got out of the car.

you forgot these "[ ... ]"

CK4500
02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Seriously, this show was filmed in Calgary? I was living in Saskatoon way way back when this was on TV. It was my fav show! (I still have most of the episodes on VHS!)

Originally posted by dj_rice

A3QudqJr-rA

jdm_eg6
02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
you know why because new GTR > viper :poosie:

finboy
02-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
you know why because new GTR &gt; viper :poosie:

epic fail

EK 2.0
02-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by finboy

you forgot these &quot;[ ... ]&quot;

No Adam, no I didn't...

;)

finboy
02-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

No Adam, no I didn't...

;)

in that case...

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5481/lolwutsp3.jpg

Inzane
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
you know why because new GTR &gt; viper :poosie:

I'm a Nissan guy first and foremost, but even I'll say that the GTR looks like a turd next to the Viper.

DonJuan
02-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Viper gets you pussy.

The GTR will get you fanboy ass.

There is no comparison... unless you think that pussy is overrated.

I liked the Viper... I'm sad to see it go. But it had to, it was going to be tough for it to compete with the new ZR1 etc...