PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater / Opeth May 9,10 2008

a social dsease
02-10-2008, 01:35 AM
New York progressive metal pioneers DREAM THEATER are set to unveil their maiden voyage of "PROGRESSIVE NATION". A package tour they will headline that will also feature the talents of OPETH, 3 and BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME.

The tour is the brainchild of DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy who explains: "I've been wanting to assemble a package tour like this for many years now. With all of the festivals and package tours that go through America, I've been talking with our manager and agent for over 10 years now about doing something that focuses on the more progressive, musician-oriented side of hard rock and metal. I decided it was time to stop talking the talk, lace up and finally walk the walk"

http://www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.php#pntourdates

This is gonna be sick!! Dream Theater and Opeth, 2 nights in a row at mac Hall!!?!
I've been waiting so long to see DT live, I was choked when they didn't make it to Cgy on Gigantour, so this is redemption!:clap:

(plus Gigantour 08 is on the 14th :poosie: that will be an awesome week!)

b_t
02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm going, so jacked for this show.

Darkane
02-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Finally, expect an INSANE set from opeth. Last time around they only played 5 songs and they were all the slow/soft ones. Thier drummer was sick or something and the tech filled in, they promised carnage next time haha.

I think I'm in for this!

f150mikey060
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
i am definatly going. been waiting for them to come for years

any idea when tickets go on sale?

powerslave
02-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Oh, I'm so there as well. May will be a great month with Gigantour and this.

Inzane
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease
http://www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.php#pntourdates

This is gonna be sick!! Dream Theater and Opeth, 2 nights in a row at mac Hall!!?!

Awww... for fuck sakes, why does Edmonton get the shaft?? I'm seeing Megadeth here on May 12th... I don't know if I want to try to do two concents between two cities over a weekend.

Dammit. :banghead:

TimG
02-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I saw DT in Montreal on their Images and Words tour. That show was insane (plus it was in a small club, which made it 10000x better)

Can't wait to see them here!

Big Dangerous
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
This is this summers ticket.

I was at Thrice on Saturday.. what a joke. Never seen so many emo's in one spot.

Benny
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Finally, expect an INSANE set from opeth. Last time around they only played 5 songs and they were all the slow/soft ones. Thier drummer was sick or something and the tech filled in, they promised carnage next time haha.

I think I'm in for this!

Yeah I was pretty crushed at that concert. This one will be a million times better.

a social dsease
02-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by f150mikey060
i am definatly going. been waiting for them to come for years

any idea when tickets go on sale?

not sure when tickets go on sale, keep checking the website.

I'm sure we can expect an awesome set from both DT and Opeth, as well the both the openers. I know for sure DT will be playing different sets for each night, and probably Opeth too. This is gonna be sick!!!

mazda_maniac
02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I vant to go......

They'll be amazing i'm sure.

Quadrifoglio
02-13-2008, 11:47 PM
This is amazing!
Dream Theater on the 9, 10
Then Children of Bodom and In Flames come not even a week after.
And then Nightwish like four days after that.

Damn.

a social dsease
02-21-2008, 02:38 PM
tickets on sale now!
its weird, only tickets for friday are up, not sure if they are playing two nights or not right now :confused:

a social dsease
05-09-2008, 08:08 AM
show is tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quadrifoglio
05-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Yo did anyone get some good pictures from this show?

Dream Theater rocked it. But was amazed with how well Three performed.

b_t
05-10-2008, 11:56 PM
3 was the standout band for me, I was totally floored by those guys.. they were insanely good, BTBAM had a shit mix and they sound like they are trying too hard.. they play a sick groove, then change to some huge fill after like a bar. Opeth was sweet but made some weird song choices.. Dream Theater sounded great but I get really tired of them after awhile. Petrucci solos too much. Yeah, he's good, but his solos are boring as hell.

Quadrifoglio
05-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I will have to disagree with you on that one, Petrucci did awesome, and I wasnt bored with him.
Although I was really hoping for a Myung solo. Haha

Both nights BTBAM didn't have their vocals loud enough. Not that you can make out what theyre screaming, but I couldnt even hear the guy screaming above anything, and I was front row.

powerslave
05-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I showed up for Opeth and Dream Theater both nights, not too familiar with the other bands. Both bands were awesome, couldn't believe Opeth played Wreath, I was convinced they'd play Deliverance the second night, but its all good, they played it last time they were here.

Dream Theater were just amazing as well, Petrucci is a maniac on guitar! Amazing show!

Now I can't wait until Wednesday for Megadeth, In Flames and Children of Bodom!

Quadrifoglio
05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Im quite excied for In Flames and Children of Bodom. I hope that they both get as much time on stage as Megadeth. I've never been really into Megadeth, so the other two are what im excited for.

Darkane
05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Mike Portney was brilliant. I was floored by all of Dream Theater.

DT was progressive bliss that's for sure. On the other hand some sweet 4/4 strait thrash is welcomed after about 200 changes in a single song lol.

b_t
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Quadrifoglio
I will have to disagree with you on that one, Petrucci did awesome, and I wasnt bored with him.
Although I was really hoping for a Myung solo. Haha

Both nights BTBAM didn't have their vocals loud enough. Not that you can make out what theyre screaming, but I couldnt even hear the guy screaming above anything, and I was front row.

Yeah sure Petrucci was doing awesome but just being able to nail the solos live doesn't make them interesting since they were boring to begin with.
BTBAM's vocals are unintelligible anyway, from where I was standing (right in front of the sound booth where the sound is supposed to be best) you couldn't hear the guitars for shit.. thats a big issue for a band where the one guitarist shreds as hard as he does.

thextinct
05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
MISSED IT !!!! :cry:

403Gemini
05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
:O

HOW DID I MISS THIS?!?! :banghead:

a social dsease
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
The friday night show was fucking excellend. I showed up at 8pm, right when Opeth came on, and man they were really good.
DT absolutely killed it too, they played As I Am, and Erotomania into Voices! I would have been happy just to hear those 3 songs, but they kept on killin er.
Saturday I found didn't have the energy of friday, also I showed up at the same time as friday but Opeth was already almost done, and the whole show finished 90 mins earlier than friday. Kind of disapointing, I could have just gone friday and seen everything I wanted to see.
Either way though, DT was just unreal, fridays set was definitely one of my best concert experiences ever!

86_lude_86
05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
i was at the friday show too and it was awesome. my frined got me a ticket and i hadnt heard of either band and made a point of not hearing either untill the show. dt puts on a good show!

b_t
05-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Jesus you bought a ticket to a show with four sweet bands and you are talking about it like there was only two there. That really sells the opening bands short.. especially 3, who kicked all kinds of ass and was the highlight of the night for me.