PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to cut to the front?

Khyron
07-30-2003, 10:34 PM
I forget - someone mentioned the name for it. I know doing it while in motion is not bright, but when I come up to a light and there's 2 or 3 cars in front, I sneak down the middle so I'm at the front, then bolt off at green.

Am I gonna get busted?

Khyron

YCB
07-30-2003, 10:59 PM
on a bike?? i think u will get busted, i remember a thread on this too, someplace in the states u wont get busted be here.. ya probably.. correct me if im wrong.. which i probably am but still :dunno:

Super_Geo
07-30-2003, 11:04 PM
It's illegal here.

It's legal in Cali though :)

bikrbabe
07-31-2003, 09:23 AM
yep... very very illegal here....:devil:

california, you're only allowed to go something like 40 mph max down the middle of the lanes (in a traffic jammed situation). That's what i heard anywayz.

sml
07-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Just because it's illegal here doesn't mean noone's gonna do it. It's also illegal to go above 100km/hr on deerfoot and how many of you out there actually drive below 100km/hr... :confused: Remember, it's only illegal if you get caught! :rofl:

Khyron
07-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Ok well I was doing it a lot - now that I know its illegal I'll watch for coppers. Anyone know the fine? :)

I only go like 5km/hr (I don't trust people not to open doors) and only when traffic is completely stopped.

Khyron

ryder_23
07-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Just watch out for pissed off motorist when you do it. Alot of people would get really madd especially if they have been sitting in traffic for a while. As for me, i'd give you the big thumbs up.

ecstasy_civic
07-31-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
Just watch out for pissed off motorist when you do it. Alot of people would get really madd especially if they have been sitting in traffic for a while. As for me, i'd give you the big thumbs up.

:werd: watch out man,

benyl
07-31-2003, 01:09 PM
It is called lane splitting.

Legal in California only when traffic is completely jammed... i.e. not moving.

bikrbabe
07-31-2003, 01:17 PM
yeah, pissed off motorists are not good... just remember, when it's car vs bike, car will win. I tried that once, and the guy caught up to me and did the whole road-rage, try to run you off the road thing. not cool. :eek:

Khyron
07-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Shrug - I am in a hot heavy jacket with no stereo or AC - make way :)

I'm not concerned about other drivers as much as what kind of fine it is - ie, if its a minor "tint like" ticket, or it could be considered in the wreckless driving category - I have no idea. I will look up "Lane Splitting" in the highway act.

Khyron

Dr. Evil
07-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by bikrbabe
california, you're only allowed to go something like 40 mph max down the middle of the lanes (in a traffic jammed situation)
Not a good idea because someone will switch lanes, not see you and hit your ass. People stuck in traffic are pissed and tend not to check mirrors before suddenly lurching into another lane.

Paralyzation is no fun, especially from an uninsured motorist. I'd say 5 to 10 mph with a twitchy finger on the brakes.

ryder_23
07-31-2003, 06:17 PM
Their just talkin about doing it in heavy traffic, or when traffic is stopped...

If someone on a car was trying to catch a bike, and you hit an open road, couldnt you just rip off in the bike? But if you get stuck, and the fucker is behind you...well then i guess you just cut threw more cars to get away...lol...

It might be stunting or reckless driving ticket for that, not sure...

Khyron
07-31-2003, 08:31 PM
I only do it when cars are completely stopped and I'm 2-3 cars from the front. Interesting that no one has chimed in to say they got a ticket for it or anything...

Khyron

dogstar
08-01-2003, 01:28 AM
no one gets a ticket for it cause the cops are usually behind you and cant get your plates or somethin.

done it many a time when theres construction, but then again i had an extendable baton in case of road ragers, and "Security" plastered on the back of my jacket.

Tha VZA
10-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by bikrbabe
yeah, pissed off motorists are not good... just remember, when it's car vs bike, car will win. I tried that once, and the guy caught up to me and did the whole road-rage, try to run you off the road thing. not cool. :eek:

but weren't you in a bike? just take off

ciao

Ferio_vti
10-06-2004, 06:00 PM
"If I don't see it, its not illegal"
-Homer Simpson running a red light.

HellfireR6
10-06-2004, 07:35 PM
lol.... watch out for motorist that'll open their doors, then they'll claim ur azz!

Chester
10-06-2004, 08:01 PM
damn Tha Vza why do you keep bumping old ass threads?

iceburns288
10-10-2004, 08:54 PM
His post was pretty stupid but this thread is pretty neat... I learned a lot!

AllGoNoShow
10-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Tha VZA

but weren't you in a bike? just take off

ciao

lol thats what i thoguht, he cought up to u? well just give he r alittle juice

Tha VZA
10-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Chester
damn Tha Vza why do you keep bumping old ass threads?
:cry:

you viewed AGAIN and replied

:cry:

ciao

Zero102
10-23-2004, 11:38 PM
I hate people that drive up the middle of the lanes.
Sit in traffic like the rest of us.

Khyron
10-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

Our vehicles are 3x faster and much smaller - why should we? Unless the biker goes real slow and thus makes you go slow it shouldn't bother you at all as it doesn't affect you at all.

Khyron

method
10-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Our vehicles are 3x faster and much smaller - why should we? Unless the biker goes real slow and thus makes you go slow it shouldn't bother you at all as it doesn't affect you at all.

Khyron

because you're creating a safety hazard, especially in this city of crappy drivers.

maybe if this was a european city where people were capable of handling bikes buzzing around their cars all the time, it wouldnt be a problem... but people here are so oblivious to their surroundings, you'll eventually get smoked by someone.

Khyron
10-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by method

because you're creating a safety hazard, especially in this city of crappy drivers.

maybe if this was a european city where people were capable of handling bikes buzzing around their cars all the time, it wouldnt be a problem... but people here are so oblivious to their surroundings, you'll eventually get smoked by someone.

I'm only talking about the cars being stopped, and me obviously going slow - I wouldn't risk it if the cars were moving. Might get smoked by a door, but it's not likely.

Khyron

googe
10-25-2004, 02:34 AM
heh, the "if i have to suffer then so should you" mentality is silly.

what if someone is riding a mountain bike beside the road passing you? should they sit and wait? how about people walking? where do you draw the line?

if they arent causing you an inconvenience, theres no reason to care.

m10-power
10-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

That pretty wack, I used to do it and did run into a couple of pissy people, get to the front and I'm gone. How does it affect you? What is really fucking annoying is the dumbasses on pedal bikes that constantly pass you at lights in rush hour, then you have to repass them and there is always some moron that won't pass so it takes forever to get by only to hit the next light and repeat.

QuasarCav
10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Whos fault is it if you get smoked?

I hate to see it but I understand that bikers shouldn't have to wait like the rest of us 4-wheelers.

What if someones seatbelt is stuck in the door and the chose the safe time at a light to open the door and fix it? Unlikely occurence but still possible.

Z_Fan
10-25-2004, 01:44 PM
I know this thread is old...

But I would expect you can get charged with...

Wreckless Endangerment
Stunting
Unsafe Lane Change

Just a thought...

CowTownBiomed
10-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Whos fault is it if you get smoked?

I hate to see it but I understand that bikers shouldn't have to wait like the rest of us 4-wheelers.

What if someones seatbelt is stuck in the door and the chose the safe time at a light to open the door and fix it? Unlikely occurence but still possible.

Actualy if someone opens their door and it gets hit, its the door opener at fault. Period.
Just like if you get rearended its the guy at the back at fault.
Weird..yes. but thats the way it is.

I was cleaning my car on the street with the vacume on the sidewalk.
I went around to the driver side opened the door and proceeded to vacume the driverside over the pasenger seat.
A guy in a Blazer comes arround the corner and clips the driver door (and just about my ass too!)
I get a ticket for unsafe door opening and my insurance pays. I tried to fight it but...thats the way it is......they say...

cp1
10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
My real issue is not motorbikes who split lanes but a**holes in trucks who think that the median or up on the side of the road is another lane... those guys im tempted to follow and beat the shit out of... just for being stupid espescially when they realize that they cant keep going straight so they have to cut in front of someone... you see it all the time on glenmore near 37th!!!

MaLwa
10-26-2004, 01:14 PM
i have no problem with the driving in between the lane thing, but if you get smoked your gonna get it hard from incurance claims :P

sluggish
10-28-2004, 11:30 AM
hell I know of people who would deliberately open their doors to someone coming up between cars on a motorbike, and I can't say that I completely disagree. I drive a bike and wouldn't try something that stupid but I have seen it done. Besides if you are on a bike, why try to piss people off in cars? They're normally oblivious to you anyway, but now you've become a target to some morons out there.

Khyron
10-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by sluggish
hell I know of people who would deliberately open their doors to someone coming up between cars on a motorbike, and I can't say that I completely disagree.

Assault, if not attempted murder. For something that doesn't affect you in the slightest. I suppose you attack pedestrians who get ahead of you in rush hour? Probably get mad when you get passed on the highway too?

Khyron

sluggish
10-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Is it not true that you cannot drive as straight when going slower? Yes it is. Therefore if you have a tendency to weave a little more, you are more likely to hit someone's car since they are likely only 3-4 feet apart at most. The potential threat to some people's property is enough to make them do things to protect it. If you read my post, I didn't say I do it, simply that I don't completely disagree with people doing it. And no I don't chase down pedestrians or get pissed off when people pass me on the highway. But thanks for judging me when you haven't even seen me before, let alone having met me.

Khyron
10-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Any rider that's taken a course can drive slower than you can walk without wobbling. It's not the same as a bicycle. But at least that's a plausible reason, so I'll give that one to you.

And I only commented on your comment "I can't say I completely disagree" which was in direct reference to the first part of the sentence "deliberately open their doors to someone coming up between cars on a motorbike". No judgement aside from what was said, in context.

Khyron

sluggish
10-28-2004, 02:26 PM
fair enough

Zero102
10-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Hmm, if it's so safe, then why is it illegal?
It's a safety hazard. Long story short, don't split lanes, don't drive up the shoulders.

Khyron

So, by your mentality, my car is half the size of a lot of trucks on the road, so I should cut around them on the shoulder too?

That's crazy.

Why does anybody have to even ask this?
It's in the driver's book for getting your class 6 license.
It's not safe, period.

Khyron
10-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Well, as Benyl mentioned in the beginning, lane splitting IS legal in California, where I doubt using the shoulder to pass is legal anywhere. Anyway - here's a quick article:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mclaw/split.html

Khyron

Zero102
10-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Hmm, it seems to me that the entire article is about how dangerous it is. Not good if you're trying to support people who do this.
It's just another reason why it should be illegal.