PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Free older computers and computer parts to donate

Pages : [1] 2

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Calgary Computers For Change

Good Day,

I have developed a not-for-profit Charity called "Calgary Computers For Change" and we are looking for free unwanted Pentium 3 & 4 systems, as well as Laptops, Imac's, Celeron's & AMD's that are collecting dust in your basement or closet. Don't throw it away, donate it today.

We are in search of any old CRT's, and Flat Screen Monitors; Keyboards, Cordless would be nice, as well as (Cordless/In fared) Mice, Power Cords; Power Supplies, Sound Cards, with After-market Systems such as; Creative, Altec Lansing, and Dell Speakers. We are in need of CD/DVD Drives, DDR or regular RAM, Internal and External Hard Drives. Truly anything would help.

Calgary, we are making your older unwanted systems, rebuilding them with Windows XP or OSX Operating Systems, and turning out a more up to date older systems, and giving these to less fortunate children, their family's, and disabled Adults.

Through "Calgary Computers For Change" we will make sure your unwanted computers go to people who is in need, and will appreciate your kindness, and generosity.

If you would like to donate your computer or used parts, please contact us.
Via E-mail In The Top Right

Thank you Calgary

*Will Pick Up*

*Drop Offs Also Welcome*

Rocky
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
That's a really good cause. I will look when I go back home next week for any spare towers laying around.

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks man !

Thats nice of you

And thanks for being nice and not bashing this

Proboscis
02-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I use to do that kind of thing at Calgary Inter-Faith ReCompute now E-cycle on Mac tr. and 25ave years ago. Give them a call, there looking for help. I assembled systems and taugh others how to build their own computer , always got a great feeling helping others. Cool thing about that place was the old computers that would come in. I'll never forget the boxes of 386/486/Pentium pro chips that I collected. I sure bought alot of old stuff from there.

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
But Im tryna start up my own thing outta my home where i dont have to travel, and im not gonna charge a single penny for the computers!

dj_rice
02-11-2008, 08:53 PM
What charity are you doing this for?I know its for a great cause but I'm kinda iffy about your motives in general.....we dont know who you are, or your reputation and if you say what your gonna do with the computers afterwards....

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Im tryna start to do this for myself cause i was helped out and wanna pass it on and if you choose not to belive im going to do what i say with the computer then you dont have to give it to me, Im not holding a gun to anyones head Im just simply asking cause I'd like to help others out since i was helped out at one point and time, IF you'd like to help me out to start this up then great if not then thats perfectly ok too.

Its just something i'd like to do to help make someone who is less fortunate have a better day or year.

Jlude
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Jfro962
Im tryna start to do this for myself cause i was helped out and wanna pass it on and if you choose not to belive im going to do what i say with the computer then you dont have to give it to me, Im not holding a gun to anyones head Im just simply asking cause I'd like to help others out since i was helped out at one point and time, IF you'd like to help me out to start this up then great if not then thats perfectly ok too.

Its just something i'd like to do to help make someone who is less fortunate have a better day or year.

I agree with dj_rice... however... if this is legit, I have to say good for you!

How will you go about donating these computers? Is this going to be a registered charity? How will you find people to donate to?

My work has a BUNCH of old computers laying around.

dj_rice
02-11-2008, 09:47 PM

I understand what your saying but theres alot of conning going around lately in society, I can make a thread to say I'm collecting money for the Lung and Kidney Foundation and I'm sure there are good samaritans in Calgary that will donate, but whos to say I will give the money to the actual charity..this is what I'm trying to say..do you understand?

I think you should talk to kenny or a moderator about this first and pass along information and once they give you the okay remake a thread...its for the better of everyone

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Sorry for trying people ......
I guess I'll not bother and just only help one person by giving away my old computer when i get a new one

thanks anyhow!

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Mods please close I guess....

94CoRd
02-11-2008, 10:43 PM
There's no need to get sour here.
I've been helping friends rebuild some computers and have plenty of stuff kicking around. I'd love to help but as dj_rice was saying, you never know who's out there. Talk to a mod, and I'm sure plenty of beyonders will help out!!

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
No I get what you mean tooo many lyin con's out there that ruin it for the people who are true and legit and want to do something good !

it's tottaly fine

AllGoNoShow
02-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Keep it going man, I got some really old parts if you need them, I need to get rid of all my old stuff so I can throw them into a few boxes for you and you can come pick them up.

Where do you live? I work just off mcleod trail and I live jsut off deerfoot in the NW. let me know what works for u.

Palmiros
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

I understand what your saying but theres alot of conning going around lately in society, I can make a thread to say I'm collecting money for the Lung and Kidney Foundation and I'm sure there are good samaritans in Calgary that will donate, but whos to say I will give the money to the actual charity..this is what I'm trying to say..do you understand?

I think you should talk to kenny or a moderator about this first and pass along information and once they give you the okay remake a thread...its for the better of everyone

I don't understand what the big deal is. If you have a computer sitting around, that you're never going to use anyways, I'd rather GIVE it away then throw it away.
Even if he doesn't rebuild them for donations, it's less clutter in my house. There's a fine line between being nice, and being a douche; and you my friend just passed it.

AllGoNoShow
02-11-2008, 10:57 PM
^^ werd

sr20s14zenki
02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros

I don't understand what the big deal is. If you have a computer sitting around, that you're never going to use anyways, I'd rather GIVE it away then throw it away.
Even if he doesn't rebuild them for donations, it's less clutter in my house. There's a fine line between being nice, and being a douche; and you my friend just passed it.

I have to agree....pretty bad there Dj_Rice....i mean dood, they are useless to the people who have them, hes not asking for anything new...hes asking for something that you would otherwise throw out....so who really cares what he would do with them? If he gives them to less fortunate GOOD ON HIM, if not...who cares....they are junk to you and to the people who have them...like palmiros says, better to give away than throw away....

what are you going to do, hoard all of your old computer parts that youll never use?

AllGoNoShow
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
What goes around comes around, someone helped him, hes trying to help others, we help him, we get helped/he gets helped. If he sells them off for money someone who gave them away might see them and that wouldn't work out very well for his possibly. So lets go with faith.

You guys trust some srt4 dude to make all your cf shit and gave him parts and now you can't get a hold of him after multiple excuses for months on end, yet we can't even give this guy one chance?

cityhunter2501
02-11-2008, 11:03 PM
i have a compaq presario 2200 desktop sitting under my bed for the past year.
family friend gave it to me..because he said its broken anyway.
you can have it if you want. could drop it this thurs or fri somewhere in the NW/NE area

AllGoNoShow
02-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Just found an old p1 laptop someone might want too, full cords and everything, battery is long gone and it has FreeBSD on right now but im sure you know how to easily get windows 95 or 98

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Wow thanks guy that just brought my spirts back up And ya im not asking for a core 2 duo i just asking for computers that never get used to give to ppl that can use them!

turbotrip
02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
how will u decide who gets the computers?

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Im not stupid I can tell who genuwinly is in need

example single mother with two kids in school and no car in a 1bdrm apt would be a canadate

as opsoed to someone who says the can pick up and shows up in a 2002 dodge grand caravan !

el_fefes
02-11-2008, 11:24 PM
I have an old intel Celeron desktop... is that ok?

turbotrip
02-11-2008, 11:25 PM

example single mother with two kids in school and no car in a 1bdrm apt would be a canadate

as opsoed to someone who says the can pick up and shows up in a 2002 dodge grand caravan !

i meant how will u find them if u arent working with an organization

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I was planing to post them on usedcalgary and using common sence

AllGoNoShow
02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
word of mouth too, pass ur number to the people who give stuff out on little homemade business cards on get those cards passed around.

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Well eventualy i'd like to make this a little bigger kinda like a computer food bank and get a little website or something

AllGoNoShow
02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
haha, want a free site too? Pitch a $5 bill tomorrow to buy the domain and ill take care of hosting for a year, probably more but we'll worry about that later and design up a site thats easy for you to edit and add to and get ur name out.

Jfro962
02-11-2008, 11:47 PM
well that will take some time so... gotta plan it out

CBRComet
02-12-2008, 12:00 AM
hey you forum police: if you don't want to give him anything Don't. even if it's a scam it's people giving away old crap like pentium 2's etc. better than dumping it in the garbage can.

do you think kenny gives a shit if we give this guy old computers lying around.

jfro: i got a big box of parts you might use, you're welcome to it if you go through with this. let me know

eur0
02-12-2008, 01:07 AM
I have a gigabyte mobo, p3, hd, case (missing side) and a ps kicking around. Good idea by the way, if I had more time I would love to help. YGPM

300zxfairlday
02-12-2008, 03:20 AM
Ive got a few things laying around you can pick up.

Checkk pm

Crymson
02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
I have a junkered athlon 2500 xp with an ati 800xL in it, i beleive 2 gigs of ram. I think the HDD crapped out on it about a year and half ago and i never got around to fixin' it.

You'd probalby have to find another HDD, and get a replacement heatsink fan for the VC but it wouldn't be bad, you could still bust out some games on it.

forbiddenera
02-12-2008, 10:14 AM

:thumbsup: :banghead:

forbiddenera
02-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
I have a junkered athlon 2500 xp with an ati 800xL in it, i beleive 2 gigs of ram. I think the HDD crapped out on it about a year and half ago and i never got around to fixin' it.

You'd probalby have to find another HDD, and get a replacement heatsink fan for the VC but it wouldn't be bad, you could still bust out some games on it.

if you're interested i'd spend a few bux on that and make it into an HTPC, pm me if you want.

edit: you should probably donate it if you were going to, i don't deserve it more than someone else does, really, i feel like a douche saying i want to build an htpc after a thread like this now. :bigpimp:

Jfro962
02-12-2008, 10:27 AM
THANKS FELLOW BEYONDERS YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Such amazing responce !

Good ppl on here !@

D'z Nutz
02-12-2008, 10:32 AM
I have a CD-ROM drive (no burner though) and a network card that'll probably never be used if you want those. I *might* be able to get a case without a PSU if you want that. I might have some RAM too. I should have a bunch of misc parts, like case fans as well. There's probably a mouse and keyboard in my room somewhere that could use a new home. Oh, and of course, the ever so popular, baggy of screws!

If you want them, you'll just have to come pick it up.

Jfro962
02-12-2008, 10:41 AM
pm'd

G-ZUS
02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I had some old parts lieing around I'll see if I can find them

92_VTEC_lude
02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
PM me to pick up a few PC stuffs I have around and have no use anymore. I can give you many PC parts but any of my old hard drive as we all know data can be recovery very easy with software even you format the hard drive many times...:(
I can see you have a good cause but I will be safe than be sorry so I will take a hammer to all my old hard drive instead give them away to anyone... So you can have other PC parts which I will go through my basement this weekend but NO HARD DRIVE.....:(
and if you are willing to go as far as Chestermeer Lake for a pick up, I can get my brother in law to go through his basement full of old PC parts but again there will be NO HARD DRIVE....:(

megavolt
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Just sent most of older stuff (p2's and older) to the e-cycling place... I think I've still got some cases and stuff I could get rid of. Probably a couple of P3's as well.

sputnik
02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I have a couple of pretty much new 19" NEC CRT monitors.

One is even in the box and has never been opened.

SCHIDER23
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I have a complete P3 system all it needs is a HDD it also has a IDE extesion card. and other stuff, it has it's own case send me a pm if you are interested:thumbsup:

skid
02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
hey buddy i'm cleanning out my computer room and was gonna do a recycle run but if you can use these parts you are welcome to them have a bunch of p3 boards and processors and about 10 cases with parts in them boards and processors p2 and p3s and bunch of other parts
i'm in the pineridge area you can pick up tonight if not gonna to get recycle soon
let me know thanks

Crymson
02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by forbiddenera

if you're interested i'd spend a few bux on that and make it into an HTPC, pm me if you want.

edit: you should probably donate it if you were going to, i don't deserve it more than someone else does, really, i feel like a douche saying i want to build an htpc after a thread like this now. :bigpimp:

HA! It's been sitting in my basement for over a year, donating it would make feel better about being so lazy about it.

Crymson
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
The guy seems legit, he swung by this afternoon and picked it up no problems, no weird vibes, he has a solid trader rating with long time members. I don't get the scam vibe at all.

Good on yah for doing good work!

Rocky
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
He has a trader rating of +7, you gotta trust in that :D

That was actually the first thing I looked at. Go Beyond!

tazz760328
02-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I got couple of part for build PC, piece by piece so if you want it is yours since this is such a great cause.

Probably late march, I might able to get couple computers from back home. (No promise) But let me know.

If you want to build your web site, I will design one for you.

Let me know as well.

I am so glad to see post like this.
Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

teknical
02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I've got a boatload of parts you can come have, some work, some don't. I'm not sure what works and what doesnt, but theres some processors, ram, a few mobos, psu's.

The stuff that doesn't work is going to recycling, but until then its all in my basement.

Jfro962
02-13-2008, 10:56 AM
1 computer recived so far thanks to (Crymson)

1 being droped off thursday thanks to (Cityhunter2501)

And a few being picked up friday thanks to (300zxfairlady, D'z Nutz, & SCHIDER23,)

Thanks for the amazing support to this cause from all you fellow beyonders!

98type_r
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
i have 2 crt monitors, a 19" that works fine, and a 17" that doesn't work anymore, would you want both, or just the working one?

i think i have a P2 in the basement somewhere too, i'll check when i get home

CivicDXR
02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
i got a bunch of stuff that I can get rid of. I'll dig around at home. I even have a perfectly working old red/pink iMac w/ mouse and keyboard with a fresh reload of OS X Panther if you would like that too. Also a bunch of cards and parts lying around too...

FreakinPrince
02-13-2008, 05:19 PM
i got a tower that got a dead motherboard in it.... and another computer ...dont' know if its working but i'll check it out

pm me to remind me...

and i got an extra old crt montior that i am willing to give up

Jfro962
02-13-2008, 05:47 PM
pm'd

mekeni
02-13-2008, 06:37 PM
I've got two older laptops that's not working pm me for details.

sneek
02-13-2008, 06:59 PM
danng you should have posted a month ago! I sent off 2 computers to be recycled. One was a P4 Dell with CDRW and one was an Emachine, the emachine needed a new power supply and the dell just needed a new HD. I also sent out some scanners and printers that were parallel, as none of my new machines have parallel ports on them!

I have a dell laptop, umm Centrino 1.8GHz, but needs a screen. I also need to copy all the info off the hard drive first.

D'z Nutz
02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey, when you get everything together, can you make a list or take a picture of all these Frankenstein computers? Haha! It'll be interesting to see what everyone's contributions put together

Jfro962
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
why?

Jfro962
02-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I'll be doing a Pick Up Run In the N.E this Friday Feb 15th,2008

If anyone else has anything they would like to contribute

Please let me know thanks

-Jay

Jfro962
02-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks to all the amazing beyonders from my n.e run yesterday, with extra thanks to 300zxfairlady for his major contribution:clap:

300zxfairlday
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
^^ haha thanks no problem, Anything for a good cause.

I was also browsing used calgary and found this ad,

http://www.usedcalgary.com/classified-ad/4993017&category=pc-laptops

I am possitive it is yours as thats one of the laptops i gave. This is just as a referance so people do see that you are indeed doing what you said you were going to do with them. Anyways ill probbally have a few other things for you in the near future. Ill lett you know.

Jfro962
02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
that link is sure the dell laptop u gave for me to refurbish

Nova316
02-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a bunch of old ram/motherboard/crap in my basement Ill gather it up. Pm me where you located :) maybe i can drop it off for ya sometime

Proboscis
02-18-2008, 07:03 PM
233 pentium laptop 576mb of ram 512+64 4gb harddrive +dockstation. i have no use for it

Jfro962
02-19-2008, 07:09 PM
First person from this charity recived a laptop today Feb 19th 2008.

Her name is Britney,
Shes 18 single and about to become a mother
and is attending school full time
aswell lives on her own in a basment suite

I figured she was a good canidate for the laptop
as it can help her with schooling and finding stuff online for free or @ a low cost to help with needs for the baby.

Here is her picture (as she agreed to show ppl she was help out by this)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/BDDR/ComputerCharityGiveAwayBritney.jpg

300zxfairlday
02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
^^^ good to see it went to a goood causee

pf0sh0
02-20-2008, 12:00 AM
props :thumbsup:

95EG6P
02-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I've got a older Dell Monitor, mouse and keyboard if you would like.
I'm in the NE part of town, please PM when for the pickup.

Cheers

P.s You are doing somthing good.:thumbsup:

Crymson
02-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Good work! thread Dug.

Jfro962
02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Well thanks for all the suport here as the mods on nexopia.com are 1000% completly stuck up and un understanding

Jfro962
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I'll be doing a SE run coming up if anyone in that area has anything they would like to donate and there in that area let me know

Jfro962
02-21-2008, 11:57 PM
UPDATE:

I've just started contacting places that help set up non profit organizations and am going to have a website and hopefully have this set up as a registerd charity within a month that will be called, Calgary Computers For Change.

Thanks for all the support once again

-Jay

Jfro962
02-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks To Jahobo for the 2 computers & monitor, & erikm5150 for the 4 monitors and cd drives, during my SE run today!

jahobo
02-23-2008, 05:09 AM
no worries dude

i mentioned this to my manager at work and shes willing to donate about 15 crt monitors and after getting clearance for the desktops about 3-8 of those as well.

let me know if you want those monitors are thoses are already a go for donation

JesseJane
02-23-2008, 04:28 PM
dj_rice, you're a sick sick man, someone tries to do something good for the community and you try to shoot him down. you can't go around thinking people are bad, there are good guys like jfro trying to make a difference in the community. hats off to him and shame on you :english:

btw jfro, i got some stuff for you by the end of the week. 3 fully built systems, 2 pentium 3, 1 pentium 2, when we upgrade at the office, i'll drop them off to you. good luck to you and your cause

Jfro962
02-24-2008, 01:45 PM
bump

Proboscis
02-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I found a 17 lcd in a backalley in spruce cliff. Turned out to be a dud. But I was thinking of this thread.

Jfro962
02-24-2008, 02:07 PM
haha thanks tho apreciated

Jfro962
02-27-2008, 11:22 AM
thanks to "pruls" for his contribution lastnight

djayz
02-28-2008, 05:33 AM
have 2 crt monitors that would be of good use.

pm me and I can drop them off or you can pick up either way.

Ill dig around the house too and see if i can find some other things.

Boat
02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
i have half a bunch of stuff i can give you.. its like half a p3 computer asus mobo... the heatsink on the CPU was broken so ill throw it out..
i have a bunch of IDE cd drives as well

pm me..
i can give you the whole list of stuff.
im too lazy to drop it off but your welcome to stop by any time.. i live in the N.W

Jfro962
02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
bump

Jfro962
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
bump

Jfro962
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Bump looking for some mice and monitors & psu's:thumbsup:

Jfro962
03-05-2008, 02:45 PM
bump

megavolt
03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
I've got a few monitors. 19", 20", 21"

Jfro962
03-05-2008, 09:30 PM
pm'd

Jfro962
03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
bump

ricosuave
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
http://calgary.craigslist.ca/zip/600808559.html

Palmiros
03-10-2008, 12:49 AM
We're just in the process of moving, i've put a few things together. I'm located in the NW.
Shoot me a PM.

Jfro962
03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
bump

Jfro962
03-15-2008, 07:15 PM
bump

Aragorn_ii
03-18-2008, 08:03 AM
got some stuff....I've got laying around...I'll pm the list of stuff later

Jfro962
03-23-2008, 11:04 AM
bump

Jfro962
03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
bump

evolutionr
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
got a case mobo that needs a chip and a pci video card kickin around pm me to meet up

Jfro962
03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
pm'd

Jfro962
03-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Still lookin for stuff any little bit helps

vertical_escape
03-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I still have about 15 8-10GB HD if you want them, I know some are locked but some are not.
If you want them let me know.