PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Starting problems... any suggestions?

adamq
02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
So my 93 Tercel has been having one hell of a time starting lately. Have to hold the ignition and pray that she goes. It turns over but it takes quite a few turns to get going. I think the starter is fine because when the engine is warm, or has been running within the last few hours, or when the temperature is not unreasonably cold, the car starts immediately.

I did open up the hood to find a bunch of green/white fuzzy corrosion surrounding every part of the batter and most parts underneath it. It has obviously leaked. I hear this can be caused by high current drains (possibly from trying to hard to start the engine).

Winter is almost done and I only expect to have this car until I'm done school (in august) so I'd like to get another 6 months out of it. It's really a great car given all the shit I put it through :) It is time that I move onto something a little bit more current.

The other reason I need a solution to this starting problem is because I'm a volunteer firefighter and I do EMT (ambulance) work on call, so I need it to start when I turn the key.

So I cleaned off the battery and refilled the electrolyte reservoirs with distilled water and I'm heating the battery over a heat register in the house.

I guess what I'm looking for here are some suggestions to get through winter on.

Do you think an electric warmer/heater would help? I have 10w-30 oil in there now; should i bleed it and go down to 5w-30? Should I get a new battery? It is about 3.5 years old. The alternator is new as of this past summer.

Please forgive the long post and many thanks in advance... :)

-adam

tom_9109
02-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Have your battery tested.
Do you use a block heater?

heavyD
02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Check the spark plugs & plug wires.

adamq
02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Have your battery tested.
Do you use a block heater?
No i do not use a block heater... do you think that would help? I've heard conflicting opinions on block heaters.

Originally posted by heavyD
Check the spark plugs & plug wires.
heavyD I replaced them this summer... i checked the caps (connectors, whatever you want to call them) and they're on solid. The plugs are in tight also... the car runs smoothly once it's started. any other suggestions?

rc2002
02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
When I had a bad battery I had the same symptoms. The car would start immediately when it was only parked for a short amount of time.

Getting the battery tested would be a great idea.

adamq
02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
When I had a bad battery I had the same symptoms. The car would start immediately when it was only parked for a short amount of time.

Getting the battery tested would be a great idea.

Canadian tire can do that I assume? Do you know how much they charge?

G-ZUS
02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by adamq

Canadian tire can do that I assume? Do you know how much they charge?

Autovalue tests them for free, I'd say new battery + 5w30 instead of 10w

02-12-2008, 11:04 AM
agreed on the 5w30, my car runs so much better in the winter with a lighter oil