PDA

View Full Version : Leaving your gigantic diesel pickup running..

kevie88
02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
So it's snowmobile season, and here at the shop at any given time we have 5-10 MASSIVE diesel pickups in the parking lot. Probably 50% are left running, keys in the ignition and doors open... sometimes for hours and hours at a time.

I guess my question is this.. What is the point of leaving the engine running when it's not being used? It's not cold today, so there doesn't seem to be any need for it. Do you have to pushstart these things or something? I thought they invented electric starts for a reason.. It's not like they sound good or anything, plus you'd think it would make the interior stink from wallowing in it's own exhaust fumes with the heat on all day.

[/endrant]

If anyone here wants to steal some big-ass monster trucks, come on down to my work.. there's an F-100000000 Stuper Duty running out there right now. Hop in and take it.

97'Scort
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
They chew up (relatively) less fuel than a gasoline engine idling for the same amount of time, and diesel engines don't warm up very fast, especially when it's cold out. If you've ever tried getting the glow plugs to go when it's -30 out you know what I mean :)

Today, at -3*C, no excuse.

Benny
02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
If you've ever tried getting the glow plugs to go when it's -30 out you know what I mean :)

Not so much on the trucks these days, but I remember the fun of starting my buddy's old 6.5L in the cold. That prick put up a fight in the mornings. Not too much excuse these days, just obnoxious sledders.

syeve
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Diesel truck drives tend to have small penis syndrom. They see all the real truck drivers leave their semi's running and want to be like them.

FiveFreshFish
02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
If there's nobody around, open the door and shut it off.

If you want to be a real dick, hide the keys in the bed, lock the keys inside or toss them in the snow. :devil:

grrrouch
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
It costs more money to turn it off and start it again...ever been to truck stop? Truckers will leave there things running for even up to an hour while they grab something to eat or whatever. Its the same type of logic behind why buisnesses downtown leave there lights on even when no ones there.

Redlyne_mr2
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree with this rant 100% please turn of your diesel trucks guys.. I dont like my neighbourhood to smell like Grande Prairie.

reiRei
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
^^ I don't think he meant the semi trucks..(edit: that was to the guy 1 post above)

it all makes sense about the amount of stolen pickup trucks in Calgary rising. More often than not, people who steal cars are looking for easy targets... unlocked, running and ready for the picking.

forkdork
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Because any who drives a truck is a tosser. Why else do they all put on such huge lift kits? It's so they can have a wank while sitting in traffic without anyone else seeing them.

The other problem is that 90% of them think that their 5L engine is basically the same as those in ships and locomotives so they leave them running without thinking that they will be getting incomplete combustion (and get fuel in their oil), get buildups on the cylinder walls from glazing, and then oil consumption.

OMG ME CAR IS DIESEL = NEED TO TREAT IT LIKE A CARGO SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrouch
02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
^^ I don't think he meant the semi trucks..(edit: that was to the guy 1 post above)

I know. I was the same way thinking it was reatarded to leave your truck running, but Ive met quite a few diesel fanatics that swear on it that its better to leave it running.:dunno:

badatusrnames
02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by grrrouch
It costs more money to turn it off and start it again...ever been to truck stop? Truckers will leave there things running for even up to an hour while they grab something to eat or whatever. Its the same type of logic behind why buisnesses downtown leave there lights on even when no ones there.

Ummm... not so sure about the lights thing. The amount electricity (if any even, although I'm no electrical engineer) required to turn the lights off in an office is certainly infinitesimal in comparison to the amount saved by turning them off at night.

The lights are left on for the cleaning staff.

chris_049
02-12-2008, 08:18 PM
just spray a can of ether into their intakes, thatll teach them

sxtasy
02-12-2008, 08:26 PM
when its cold out -15 and colder i leave my diesel running for at most 20 min. periods. It takes a good 20 min to fully warm while driving around the city. I don't agree with running it for hours though.

tabouli
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
haha!

I turn on my truck in the morning, and it doesn't get turned off until the end of my day.

Sometimes, I work 12+ hour days.

Eat it.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/images/SnowpeakForkSpoonII.jpg

grrrouch
02-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by tabouli

Eat it.

why does your spoon and fork have a carrot peeler on the handle?

tabouli
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
^^ They're JDM

theken
02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
my semi doesn't get shut off when it's cold for days, the stretch of cold we had there the trucks ran for a week, i don't know why people leave their pickups running, call bylaw maybe give them a ticket

danlowteg
02-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by forkdork
Because any who drives a truck is a tosser. Why else do they all put on such huge lift kits? It's so they can have a wank while sitting in traffic without anyone else seeing them.

The other problem is that 90+ACU- of them think that their 5L engine is basically the same as those in ships and locomotives so they leave them running without thinking that they will be getting incomplete combustion (and get fuel in their oil), get buildups on the cylinder walls from glazing, and then oil consumption.

OMG ME CAR IS DIESEL = NEED TO TREAT IT LIKE A CARGO SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't heard of many 5 Liter Diesel engines? But what do I know I am a tosser because I like having legroom being 6'3, hauling around all my tools, getting around rough terrain, and hauling junk/auto parts for my friends.

Anyway, people will waste their money running their truck all day for no reason and some people make money running them all day but that+IBk-s their life just let them be

Team_Mclaren
02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

arrr, no they are not

badatusrnames
02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
^^Then why? That's what I always assumed... that and maybe the occasional late night employee.

forkdork
02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by danlowteg

I haven't heard of many 5 Liter Diesel engines? But what do I know I am a tosser because I like having legroom being 6'3, hauling around all my tools, getting around rough terrain, and hauling junk/auto parts for my friends.

Atleast you are not in denial about it.

Nothing like having a lifted truck driven by a tosser ride your ass in the city.

roopi
02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by grrrouch

why does your spoon and fork have a carrot peeler on the handle?

^^ They're JDM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8Ball
02-12-2008, 10:53 PM
soon enough we will have a law for that too

like jersey;

http://www.stopthesoot.org/sts-faq.htm#2

2. How long am I allowed to idle to warm up my diesel engine?

When the ambient temperature is below 25 degrees Fahrenheit, a motor vehicle may idle for 15 consecutive minutes when the vehicle has been stopped for 3 or more hours. Otherwise, idling is limited to 3 minutes. However, most diesel engines take 3 minutes or less to warm up (consult the engine manufacturer’s recommendations). Limiting idling will save fuel and money.

kevie88
02-12-2008, 11:30 PM
^That's a pretty good website. Answers a lot of the questions I had about idling diesels.

"15. Will reducing idling really make a significant difference in reducing soot?

According to the EPA, the U.S. Department of Energy and other organizations, the average long-haul truck idles at least 1,830 hours per year, and, in the process, uses $2,200 of unnecessary fuel and emits 17 tons of carbon dioxide, 10 pounds of fine particles and 615 pounds of nitrogen oxides every year. Reducing idling will lower maintenance costs on each vehicle, save fuel and protect public health and air quality."

"16. Wouldn't the continual shutting off and turning on of diesel engines actually damage the engine and emit more soot than idling?

Idling an engine for more than about 10 seconds actually uses more fuel than if the engine had been turned off. It is more efficient to turn an engine off if it will be stopped for more than 10 seconds. Frequent restarts of an engine will not have a negative impact on engine components."

Interesting.

Eat it.

Well, I suppose that's the answer I was expecting haha. Everyone I ask about idling their trucks usually tells me I'm just jealous/eat it/go drive your ricer car/I don't fuckin' care what people think ect ect.. No one really has a good answer about the idling thing.

I wonder what it is about diesel pickup owners that makes them so obnoxious.. Always driving 30+ over the limit, tailgating like mad, hacking and slashing up traffic and the like. Do you think it may be a by-product of constantly sniffing diesel fumes? :rofl:

Unknown303
02-13-2008, 12:00 AM
My trucks a diesel and during the cold spell it wouldn't warm up at all idling so there really was no point, other then getting the fuel moving so if didn't sound like it was running on 2 cylinders.

Masked Bandit
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
haha!

I turn on my truck in the morning, and it doesn't get turned off until the end of my day.

Sometimes, I work 12+ hour days.

Eat it.

Are those utensils LHD?

Graham_A_M
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
If there's nobody around, open the door and shut it off.
Thats what I would do:dunno:

Big Dangerous
02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by forkdork

The other problem is that 90% of them think that their 5L engine is basically the same as those in ships and locomotives so they leave them running without thinking that they will be getting incomplete combustion (and get fuel in their oil), get buildups on the cylinder walls from glazing, and then oil consumption.

OMG ME CAR IS DIESEL = NEED TO TREAT IT LIKE A CARGO SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAMAOAMAOMAOAMOAMAOMAOOPOMOOF:rofl: :rofl:

Big Dangerous
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Ummm... not so sure about the lights thing. The amount electricity (if any even, although I'm no electrical engineer) required to turn the lights off in an office is certainly infinitesimal in comparison to the amount saved by turning them off at night.

Part of it is code, part of it is that if every building downtown turned their lights on at the same time.. it would probably create a pretty heavy load on things.

kvanderlaag
02-13-2008, 04:38 PM
The risk of blowing a lightbulb turning your lights on and off every day is significantly greater than if you just leave them on, and the cost of electricity on those fluorescent bulbs is probably less than replacing them.