PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - question

kgeig254
02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I need some help...I don't know shit about anything mechanical...

I have a 2004 Nissan Murano with 80,000kms

The brakes have been squeaking like shit for quite a while now and are very squishy. I really noticed in the snow how bad they are. I really notice the difference when I drive my '07 Eclipse compared to the Murano. So I took the car to the shop today and they are telling me that the squeaking is coming from rust on the rotors. So I asked how much is left on the pads and the guy told me 40% on the front and 50% on the back.

Is that even possible to have that much pad left after 80,000 clicks?

teggypimp95
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Are you the original owner?

kgeig254
02-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Yes...

teggypimp95
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Well i guess it is possible then. I would change your rotors and pads, plus get your brake lines flushed. They should feel great after that.

prae
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
50% wear in 80,000 doesnt sound drastically out of line to me.

culebra
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I got my rotor machined and pads replaced at 60K
mine is 05 murano

rc2002
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by kgeig254

Yes...

Well i guess it is possible then. I would change your rotors and pads, plus get your brake lines flushed. They should feel great after that.

:dunno: Don't know how much difference being the orignal owner makes.

Check your pads and see how much friction material is left. You should be able to see if they need changing yet. A lot of pads have audible wear indicators so you know when to change them.

You don't need to do a brake fluid flush at 80k. That's just wasting your money.

teggypimp95
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Check your pads and see how much friction material is left. You should be able to see if they need changing yet. A lot of pads have audible wear indicators so you know when to change them.

You don't need to do a brake fluid flush at 80k. That's just wasting your money.

If he is saying its feels "squishy" then maybe he does. It wouldent hurt if he wants better braking. I was asking if he was the original owner becuase he seemed suprised there was so much left on his pads. If he was not the original owner who knows if they guy before him had them replaced for some reason.

benyl
02-12-2008, 03:54 PM
80K isn't unreasonable if you do a lot of highway driving.

CelicaST-162
02-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

80K? It would NOT hurt to do a brake flush, it has more mileage then your average vehicle that's been driven 20K a year.

40% brakes in front? Could be driving habits? Possibly yes!
50% rears? sounds average.

With 40% brakes remaining and 20% pad replacement requirement it's your discretion to replace them. Since your rotors are rusty and probably aren't machinable budget to replace your pads and your rotors. As mentioned previously a brake flush is highly reccomended if you haven't had them flushed before, generally the flush intervals are at 80K. And it more than will solve your squishy, spongy concern.

88jbody
02-12-2008, 08:43 PM
in our climate of hot then cold all the time, changing the brakefluid/flushing it at the same time as breaks are done will never hurt.

I flush the brake fluid in my car everytime I change the brakes. perhapps it is more then needed but I like the fact that when I look in the master cylinder the fluid is always clean

TDA
02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Meh my car had 135,000 klicks before I had to replace the pads.. granted there were like 10% left, but yeah... all city driving too.