PDA

View Full Version : whats the stigma with ...

ambivalentika
02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
US cars in canada/alberta? I hear a lot of talk about how good it is to have a local car etc, but why? Im looking at buying a car thats original owner was in the US, and the car is now in calgary. VIN check came back with nothing, so should i be wary?
Thanks

badatusrnames
02-12-2008, 06:47 PM
It's due to buyers who bought here before the dollar was at parity being bitter about their car being devalued as a result of the availability of more affordable vehicles from the US.

Similar situation with the stigma associated with JDM vehicles.

Rocky
02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Yup, probably just pissed off consumers trying to justify why they paid so much more than people who just recently bought.

But at the end of the day I'd rather have an LHD... or a West coast car with no prior history of Alberta road salts

Big Dangerous
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
That, or some cars trying to get across are still from New Orleans. When you run a VIN check, make sure it wasn't ever registered or serviced in southern louisiana.

badatusrnames
02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
^^Yeah definitely, or Florida cars that were labeled as lemons under Florida law that were ending up here. As with anything, you definitely need to perform due diligence when importing a car.

ambivalentika
02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
thanks for all your help guys

Aleks
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ambivalentika
US cars in canada/alberta? I hear a lot of talk about how good it is to have a local car etc, but why? Im looking at buying a car thats original owner was in the US, and the car is now in calgary. VIN check came back with nothing, so should i be wary?
Thanks

Is the owner passing the savings onto you? Does the car have valid warranty here if it's a late model car?