PDA

View Full Version : I need some info and help with Lexus SC400-SC300

rollinv4l
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I am just wondering if anyone here can give me some advice on these cars I am looking at maybe buying a 1995 lexus SC400 or SC300. I am just wondering if anyone on here can give me some info on these cars as if they are good cars I know that they are the US version of the Sorer. I am wondering if they are reliable or not, and whatever anyone else might know about these cars would help.

CelicaST-162
02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Both models are GREAT cars, the 1UZ-FE is a great and bulletproof engine as long as it's been maintained. (SC400)

The 2JZ-GE is a good, smooth and reliable engine, it's a good option if you're looking into a GTE swap later down the road. Plus, there's a few that come with the R154 transmission. (5speed)

DonJuan
02-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Both models are GREAT cars, the 1UZ-FE is a great and bulletproof engine as long as it's been maintained. (SC400)

The 2JZ-GE is a good, smooth and reliable engine, it's a good option if you're looking into a GTE swap later down the road. Plus, there's a few that come with the R154 transmission. (5speed)

Yah totally. There is also a large following of people who like to twin turbo the 1UZ-FE. Both are great options and both very reliable. Depends on what you want to do. The only downside to these cars is the weight. But that only matters if your are looking into a serious track car. Otherwise they can be great street/strip/cruising monsters.

rollinv4l
02-13-2008, 07:45 PM
well I am looking at maybe one of these or another civic hatch. I am not looking to race but to just have a good daily driver, with the car lowered, exhaust and some rims, also does the SC400 is that the only one that comes with the V8. And can parts from a Soarer fit on these cars. And how reliable are these cars.

CelicaST-162
02-13-2008, 07:59 PM
SC400-4.0L V8
SC300-3.0L inline 6

As for reliability, refer to the two posts above....

Neil4Speed
02-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I know a fair bit about these cars - I wanted to buy (still kind of) a SC400 for a while.

They are heavy, and to a certain extent you do feel it. The SC is a very nice driver, smooth delivery, lots of power and torque, and fantastic handling, rear wheel drive. The fuel economy is good considering its a V8.

I don't like the visibility, which is poor. and the guages leave something to be desired.

Reliability is almost flawless, the motors and the trannys are fantastic (well designed, Toyota spent stupid amounts of money on R&D for that motor). Watch out for lights going out in the guages, and the Climate control/Stereo, they are somewhat expensive to fix. Power Steering pumps have a habit of giving out and spilling fluid all over the alternator, but allot of people have replaced theirs. Control arm brushings, and Rear Trunk Struts give out quickly and are fast wear items. Headlight fogging is common, the best thing to do is get replacement aftermarket ones which are readily available with projectors.

The styling is classic/timeless, and will age very very well. I thought that the 95-96 models were not as good looking due to the lack of the front lip, and the gay wheels, but to each their own. The 97+ got the new body kit, and the 98 got the VVT engine with 280 (290? HP) and around 300 tq, those are desireable but almost impossible to find in Canada.

If your used to civic hatches, I don't know how much you will like an SC, probably love or hate as they are very different cars. Give one a go, keep in mind this is a car that Car and Driver gave 98/100 in 1994. If you want something a little "sportier" but still a cruiser, try to find a 6-Speed Legend coupe, there is a nice one for sale in Calgary in the Autotrader - I like mine allot.

DonJuan
02-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by rollinv4l
well I am looking at maybe one of these or another civic hatch. I am not looking to race but to just have a good daily driver, with the car lowered, exhaust and some rims, also does the SC400 is that the only one that comes with the V8. And can parts from a Soarer fit on these cars. And how reliable are these cars.

Completely different class of car than the civic hatch. If you just want to lower, put an exaust on, and rims, there is probably no car better. These make great cruisers with either engine.

Just to clarify (in case you are confused),
the SC300 is the 2JZ-GE inline 6 = Soarer non turbo
the SC400 is the 1UZ-FE V8. = V8 Soarer

You'd be very hard pressed to find something more reliable.
All Soarer parts (except turbo Soarer engine parts) are interchangeable with the SC300/400.

Hope it helps.

403Gemini
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I wanted a SC300 more than anything, but could never find one :(

Not a fan of RHD (not saying anything is wrong with it) so i looked for a few months to try and find a SC300.

kamatayan
02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
My dad never had a problem until he gave me the keys.
O2 Sensor problem on mine few months ago thats about it...

Great Car

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: