PDA

View Full Version : Impalla SS and Monte Carlo SS to be supercharged for 2004

Gripenfelter
07-31-2003, 08:00 AM
Toronto, Ontario - The Chevrolet Impala SS will return to the Chevy lineup as a 2004 model with a supercharged 3.8 litre V6 engine, and the two-door Monte Carlo SS will be upgraded to the same supercharged engine for 2004, said GM on Wednesday.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/03images/04impala_ss.jpg

The 2004 Chevy Impala SS will deliver more power and tighter handling with a 240-horsepower 3800 supercharged V-6 engine, beefed-up four-wheel independent suspension and high-performance speed-rated tires with 17-inch diamond-cut cast aluminum wheels. The monochromatic black SS also will feature bright stainless steel dual exhaust tips, fog lamps, a six-gauge cluster including boost gauge, and “SS” badging.

“The 2004 Impala SS will be a thoroughly contemporary interpretation of the style and performance that built the SS heritage beginning with the ’61 Impala Super Sport,” said Mark Alger, Marketing Manager, mid-size cars at GM Canada. “True to this legacy, the 2004 Impala SS will be a great value compared to other cars with similar performance, and well within the reach of mainstream customers.”

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/03images/04monte_ss.jpg

The 2004 Monte Carlo Supercharged SS offers the same 240-horsepower 3800 supercharged V-6, four-wheel independent performance suspension and high-performance Goodyear tires with 17-inch diamond-cut cast aluminum wheels. The Supercharged SS also will feature a race-inspired spoiler, bright stainless steel dual exhaust tips, fog lamps, a six-gauge cluster including boost gauge and “Supercharged SS” exterior and interior badging.

Chevrolet is working with the GM Performance Division to develop the Impala SS and other SS vehicles that feature strong acceleration, enhanced handling and uncompromised driveability. The first result of this collaboration is the Oshawa-built 2003 Silverado SS extended cab short bed pickup, available in the first quarter of 2003.

yankeefan
07-31-2003, 10:47 AM
wish they would just put a v-8 back in those 2 cars, but least they are taking steps to make them better. which is nice

legendboy
07-31-2003, 10:52 AM
damn thats one ugly car tho

yankeefan
07-31-2003, 11:07 AM
think the impala is a sharp 4 door, not a huge fan of the monte carlo but they look good on the street

Zephyr
07-31-2003, 11:29 AM
is it me or all chevy cars, plain, dull, not new looking, ugly, and needs a makeover!

4CylFiero
07-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Pathetic when are they going to get a new engine in those. Those engines have been kicking around for a long time. What about the new 3.5 they came out with or even the 3.2 V-6's in the CTS's puts out 220. This is a pitiful attempt add the SS to another car to sucker people into thinking they are buying a performance car.

yankeefan
08-01-2003, 02:55 AM
impala was the orginal ss, so you can say that about every car except the impala. its 240 horsepower 280torque and weighs 100 pounds less then a mustang. so it performs pretty good for what it is ... a mid-sized sedan

Weapon_R
08-01-2003, 03:01 AM
bout fucken time these cars get some go...

The Monte Carlo is such a pimp boat

Gripenfelter
08-01-2003, 08:06 AM
They like the 3.8L V6 because its one of the most reliable motors.

Voodoo Child
08-01-2003, 08:11 AM
I don't know how many of you have driven a new impalla, but they are honestly one of the WORST cars I've ever driven in my life. I rented one for a weekend and took it up to lloydminster and hated every minute driving it. Going from the Type R to the impalla felt like going from a rollercoaster ride to a bloody Cruise Liner. It has the worst suspension and handling of any car I've ever driven and would seriously NEVER recommend it to anyone.

D'z Nutz
08-01-2003, 09:02 AM
I always thought the Monte Carlo looked kinda cool. Something about the back makes it stand out.

Firecracker
08-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I always thought the Monte Carlo looked kinda cool. Something about the back makes it stand out. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :thumbsup: :love:

RSRT-4
08-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Come down Becky , I'm surpirsed that it's only putting out 240hp the new gtp ares up to 280hp , and comparing a type R to a Impala it useless to totally different cars built for different purposes :werd:

4CylFiero
08-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter
They like the 3.8L V6 because its one of the most reliable motors.

I'm aware of that but there are definetly better powerplants out there that are just as reliable. I'm not aware if the 3.5 DOHC is reliable hopefully not as unreliable as its older brother the 3.4 DOHC (I heard that they are really unreliable from lots of people and mechanics so im just going on what i heard) What about even incorporating some valve timing technology like they are for the four bangers i hear great things about the 2.2 ECOTEC.

Originally posted by Voodoo Child
I don't know how many of you have driven a new impalla, but they are honestly one of the WORST cars I've ever driven in my life. I rented one for a weekend and took it up to lloydminster and hated every minute driving it. Going from the Type R to the impalla felt like going from a rollercoaster ride to a bloody Cruise Liner. It has the worst suspension and handling of any car I've ever driven and would seriously NEVER recommend it to anyone.

Amen

yankeefan
08-01-2003, 03:11 PM
GM musta done something right with em considering how many they sell =D.