PDA

View Full Version : WTF is with all the major accidents lately?!?!

ZMan2k2
07-31-2003, 08:09 AM
Are drivers getting dumber, or are they just taking more and more risks? In the last two weeks, there have been 4 major accidents, causing serious injury or death. What the hell is going on? I mean, when I see a dump truck or a big SUV behind me, I get a little nervous and hope that they will stop, because I don't want to become another statistic.

BigMass
07-31-2003, 08:39 AM
yep, almost had one plow into me the other day. People tailgate and think their SUVs and F150s are sports cars that can stop/turn on a dime.

Loose
07-31-2003, 08:46 AM
Anyone know a guy with a riced out blue Neon with chrome wheels that says "Dodge" on the side with chrome lettering?

I saw him get into a wreck a while back. Wondering if anyone heard anything of this.

K271
07-31-2003, 08:52 AM
Some driver's are just fearless now. They think they are invincible to an accident and will never get into one. So dam cocky. So many idiots tail gate now, I also get nervous when the SUV's and big trucks are behind me.

roopi
07-31-2003, 09:06 AM
There was a dump truck coming up behind me yesterday when i was waiting at a light and i kept moving forward thinking he was going to run right over me!

mad_psyentist
07-31-2003, 09:49 AM
All that crash-test rating stuff kinda goes to the wind when you've got an 18-wheeler barreling down on you.

nickyh
07-31-2003, 12:51 PM
I think the heat has cooked their brains! But pretty soon the brains will be frozen..... is it even worth taking our cars out on the roads anymore?
I think drivers testing should be harder - and then re-testing every 3 years. That may help people's drving skills from going to pot!

tommy1223
07-31-2003, 01:49 PM
ya just a few weeks ago, this truckers guy carrying TONS of gasoline feel asleep oh the wheels whiile DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY and crashed into the barriers and the whole thing exploded, he was so lucky that no one else was in that crash and he got away too cuz someone pulled him out before it went on fire.

Crazy bunch of people i tell ya!

ninspeed
07-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Loose
Anyone know a guy with a riced out blue Neon with chrome wheels that says "Dodge" on the side with chrome lettering?

I saw him get into a wreck a while back. Wondering if anyone heard anything of this.

Ah yes, the "fool injected" neon... he lives right up the street from me and i have not seem him in a while.. was wondering what happned.. how bad is the dammage?

Loose
07-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Got smoked by a red light running Suburban. Must have been punted a good 60 ft, spun 90 degreees. Ouch!

That.Guy.S30
07-31-2003, 06:47 PM
you guys talk about all the suv drivers like we cant drive or somethin. to tell you sedan/sport car guys. you guys aint the best of drivers too hey. i get a whole bunch of ricer fly by's or cut offs just cuz they can accelate faster than my suv. yes i admit im scared of suvs when im driving in my wagon but im just as equally scared when im driving in my jeep cuz of lil honda civics tryin to cut me off all the time. i just think the ppl are just more careless and has nothin to do with the type of car ppl are driving.

DSM Power
07-31-2003, 10:21 PM
I'd just like to give a big one finger salute to the boob in the minivan who pulled into a line of traffic on Mcleod at 5 km/h when we were doing 80+ ...! :guns: :guns:

sexualbanana
07-31-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
I'd just like to give a big one finger salute to the boob in the minivan who pulled into a line of traffic on Mcleod at 5 km/h when we were doing 80+ ...! :guns: :guns:

you were still breaking the law though! :D

fast95pony
08-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Yesterday ,on the Trans Canada ,east of Canmore in the westbound lanes ,there was a rolled tractor-trailer. His load was all over the westbound lanes and the cab was partly crushed.

Hopefully there were no cars buried under the trailer.

tegdream
08-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
His load was all over the westbound lanes

screamer316
02-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
you guys talk about all the suv drivers like we cant drive or somethin. to tell you sedan/sport car guys. you guys aint the best of drivers too hey. i get a whole bunch of ricer fly by's or cut offs just cuz they can accelate faster than my suv. yes i admit im scared of suvs when im driving in my wagon but im just as equally scared when im driving in my jeep cuz of lil honda civics tryin to cut me off all the time. i just think the ppl are just more careless and has nothin to do with the type of car ppl are driving.

Totally true, it's the driver that's dangerous, not what he's driving

forgiven
02-29-2004, 12:37 AM
i dont know about the suv drivers. i drive one i was sitting at a light and all of a sudden i here screting tires and then feel it ya i get rear ended by some car the driver was on the phone. my car is newer and he did not even get out of the car all the way i found ot he hit me at 45 or so

RiceCake
02-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Damn you should have seen the drive I had to work this morning. First car I pass on 14th St NW was brushing his teeth, first time I saw this.... Next we have someone eating a Mcdonalds breakfast in one hand and holding his coffe in the other, last one of the crazy bunch this morning a old Grand Am weaving in and out of traffic while reading the Calgary Sun.... :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Oh well when you head downtown at 7:00 on a Saturday I guess you're bound to see weird things...:dunno:

ehos
02-29-2004, 12:57 AM
Nope. Hate to disagree, it's not the driver, it IS the vehicle.

SUV's just do more damage and kill more people because of their weight.

Also, they give a false sense of confidence, which is the number 1 cause of accidents (more than speeding!).

ICEBERG
02-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake
Damn you should have seen the drive I had to work this morning. First car I pass on 14th St NW was brushing his teeth, first time I saw this.... Next we have someone eating a Mcdonalds breakfast in one hand and holding his coffe in the other, last one of the crazy bunch this morning a old Grand Am weaving in and out of traffic while reading the Calgary Sun.... :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Oh well when you head downtown at 7:00 on a Saturday I guess you're bound to see weird things...:dunno:

I saw the same thing on friday morning on deerfoot. But it was a guy having his soup with a bun. I guess he was late for work?:rolleyes:

hjr
02-29-2004, 04:51 PM
i believe every one is crashing because the streets are pretty clean so people think they can get away with anything. when the weather is really bad people are cautious but the first melt always causes accidents cause folks loose the cautiousness. they think that because the road is not slippery they dont need to drive defensively anymore. it takes a little while but people will start driving better soon enough.

Ben
02-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ehos

Also, they give a false sense of confidence, which is the number 1 cause of accidents (more than speeding!).

Guns dont kill people...peple kill people.

People on this planet are too fucking dumb. They buy these huge SUV's and dont know how to drive them.

Its the drivers fault if the vehicle gives them a false sense of security, they let that happen. People need proper education, they hop behind the wheel of these things and think they are invinsible and that they handle as good as a car. And because it has AWD they can drive warp 8 in shitty weather.

Give your head a shake.

It is NEVER the vehicles fault, it is ALWAYS the driver not maintaining control of their vehicle, driving for the conditions (yes, your vehicle is a huge factor, not just the terrain/environment) and opperating it in a safe fashion.

DARWIN STRIKES AGAIN!

Unfortunatly they often take good people with them :(

Baz SCO
02-29-2004, 07:08 PM
:dunno: madness...it's the same over here at the mo (Chester in the UK) in the last few weeks a mate who lives in my village flipped his car into a tree about 50 yds from my house and killed himself and the gardener for the pub next door to me lost both his legs when a Vauxhall Frontera (thinks that's what u call an SUV) drove into his Motor Scooter. That's just in my village of 110 people, in the close vicinity just in the last month a Lorry lost control and caused a huge accident, a lad who was on drugs over took a copper at 90mph and drove straight into the river a mile from my house....what else....ok...can't think of anything else that's happened very close to my house....but definately everyone keeps dying on me! Which is somewhat disconcerting!

OO actually a cruise we went to last Saturday, (I dunno how u do cruises in Calgory, but over here, we don't tell anyone the location, 'cos if the cops find out they block the location with concrete blocks or barriers, so we organise convoys so everyone will get to the location at the same time so the cops don't have time to block it) there was a convoy of about 800 cars, which obviously takes up all three lanes of a motorway for a few miles long, and people were being stupid in the convoy...ended up with about 5 crashes, one total write off, one probable write off and the rest looked fixable. Must be summat in the air...it's global warming!!! That's what it is!! ;)

Baz

Baz SCO
02-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ehos

Nope....sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry....I know I'm 'New Guy' but I totally cannot agree with that...how can u say it's NOT the driver? So if you put a Chimp in the drivers seat of an SUV and set him going on the motorway and suprise suprise the chimp can't control the car and it goes into the barrier and the chimp dies...it's NOT the driver? OK...Chimp theory is silly and extremo but you get what I mean? Even if it the accident IS because the driver got lulled into a false sense of confidence...it's still the drivers fault for being 'lulled'! (mental note: Put big sign in car tomorro saying "NO LULLING!") This said I agree that a driver does get a false sense of confidence when driving a bigger vehicle...totally...I used to have to chauffeur people about in a 3ltr Omega, but the gearbox needed replacing and so for one week I had to use a big SUV... first time I got in it I was only 18, I nearly stuffed it 'cos it's a totally different driving experience to driving a car...and to be totally honest I think if u want to drive an SUV that desperately some extended form of test should be taken....why not? You have to do it if u wanna ride a bigger bike...so why not when u wanna drive a bigger car?

99% of accidents are down to driver fault I would of thought. The only accident I've ever had is when I had an epileptic fit and therefore couldn't press the brakes and went straight thru a red light and wrote off two cars....people tell me that wasn't my fault 'cos I could do nothing to stop it....but it ENTIRELY was my fault...I knew I had a stupid brain...and I knew I shouldn't of been driving.

Baz

ehos
02-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Most drivers are of equal skill. I know some of you would like to believe you're 'superior' drivers to the so called 'average' joe.

Take average skill into consideration (does ANYONE go out there to get an accident? Obviously NOT).

So, you have 2 drivers, of equal skill, on driving a small car, one a huge SUV.

If they're invovled in an accident (same probable chance), the guy in the SUV will do more Damage and has a higher chance of killing someone that the little car.

F=ma

That's all I'm saying.

Baz SCO
02-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Nope...I'm deffo not a superior driver...I mean I've done my advanced driving test and about 3 other different advanced tests n some rally training n skid pan work...that just makes me a car fanatic I think...not a better driver...and I totally agree with your last post :) We're starting to have that problem over here now...it's not been til relatively recently that loads of peeps have been buying SUV's over here. They annoy me intensley! Altho a lot of them are being banned/recalled 'cos the tints are too dark :D :thumbsup:

Baz

JAYMEZ
03-01-2004, 12:57 AM
bah , when i got rear ended my car was only a month old , and some stupid bitch was on her cell phone and i stopped for kids to cross and she hit me going 50