PDA

View Full Version : BBQing Lobster tails, procedures

Redlyne_mr2
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey guys,
Going to throw some lobster tails on the bbq, any steps to do this? Spices etc? I dont think they have to be boiled prior to bbq but if someone has any tips that would be great, thanks

dj_rice
02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Split the whole lobster in half down the middle

Seasoning wise simply is best, butter, lemon juice, salt/pepper, parsley and brush onto lobster before throwing on grill and during cooking

Serve with some BBQ corn good eats :thumbsup:

And heres some extra info for you on cooking techniques

How to Grill Whole Lobster
Place whole lobster shell side down on grill. Barbecue on medium to high. Lobster is ready to turn when shell has turned a bright red. Turn and grill an additional 3-5 minutes until done.

How to Grill Split Lobster
Place lobster cut side down on grill. Barbecue on medium to high until shell starts to turn red. Turn, baste cut side with butter to keep from drying out, and cook for an additional 4-8 minutes. The lobster is done when the meat is opaque and begins to separate from the shell.

In addition to grilling lobster, did you know that you can cook shellfish on your barbeque. If they are large, such as lobster, prawns or crab you can grill them directly on the grid. Smaller shellfish, such as mussels, clams, oysters, scallops or shrimp can be skewered, or you can cook them in a basket. Shellfish generally doesn't take long to cook. For example, shrimp take about 8-12 minutes depending on their size, while oysters take about 5 minutes.

Redlyne_mr2
02-13-2008, 10:28 PM
now if its just the tail ? Split the tail.. thanks in advance

Amysicle
02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
That sounds about right, according to the Joy of Cooking (don't ask).

dj_rice
02-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
now if its just the tail ? Split the tail.. thanks in advance

How to Barbecue Lobster Tails
Grilling lobster tails is simple. Cut lobster tails in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as well as any other desired seasonings. Place on the grill above direct heat, shell side down. Grill for 7-9 minutes, occasionally turning onto the sides to cook through. Baste with butter if desired. The lobster is done when the meat turns opaque and begins to separate from the shell.

Redlyne_mr2
02-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks DJ Rice.. turned out awesome.. now I just need to find a place that sells bigger tails
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Redlyne/P2140343.jpg

EK 2.0
02-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Gee, R. thanks for the invite to dinner man...:(

legendboy
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM
now I just need to find a place that sells bigger tails

costco has had some really nice looking fresh seafood lately. they setup this kiosk thats packed with ice and have a whole bunch of stuff. Mussles, oysters, rock lobster tails, big lobster tails, king crab...etc...

King crab > lobster imo

sexualbanana
02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
i thought you have to stick a skewer in the tail to keep it from curling as it cooks?

Ajay
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
i thought you have to stick a skewer in the tail to keep it from curling as it cooks?

That's one technique and the one I usually employ.

Redlyne_mr2
02-15-2008, 12:59 PM
It should only curl if you over cook it, i didnt use a skewer and just made sure not too overcook.

avow
02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
oh my gosh i am totally buying lobster now :@

dj_rice
02-15-2008, 09:37 PM

You only do that for cosmetic appeal, theres no point to it besides looks...and its harder for a lobster tail to curl since theres so much thickness to it compared to a shrimp which always curls when cooked.....

Thanks DJ Rice.. turned out awesome.. now I just need to find a place that sells bigger tails
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Redlyne/P2140343.jpg

What seasonings did you end up going with Redlyne?And wow those are some sad looking boiled Yukon Gold potatoes and steamed green beans?

lexIS300
02-16-2008, 12:07 AM
^^ haha so true. lobster looks great. but your veggies look bland

Redlyne_mr2
02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
hahah Ill make sure not to invite any of you guys out on dates for an evening of cooking at my place.. goddamn critics:D

sh0ko
02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
^ wheres mine?! ;)

Amysicle
02-16-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd help you cook. :love:

But I usually get fresh lobster from Billingsgate up by the Foothills hospital.

dj_rice
02-16-2008, 09:05 PM
hahah Ill make sure not to invite any of you guys out on dates for an evening of cooking at my place.. goddamn critics:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not to mention your plating technique....:thumbsdow The lobster is the star of the plate yet its on the top, and yet the sad looking potatoes are in the centre of the show...:thumbsdow but at least you have color with the green beans :thumbsup:

CK4500
02-16-2008, 09:12 PM
When BBQ'ing a lobster tail, If you find that the lobster meat is sticking to the shell, here is a little trick I learned. Before cooking/BBQ'ing it, pull the tail meat out and smear it with butter, or put some butter in the shell. Then cook it on your grill. When it's cooked, it should just come out easy.

This is how I grill my tails! Yummie!:drool: :drool:

Weapon_R
02-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
I'd help you cook. :love:

pics

Redlyne_mr2
02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Bump, going to do up some more this weekend but my question is, where can I find larger tails? The Safeway ones are always so small. :(

Trini
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
try these guys
http://www.billingsgate.com/

haven't been to the location in a while so I don't know if they have any larger tails.

G
02-09-2010, 05:05 PM
why not go to an asian supermarket and get live lobster?

R-Audi
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Boyd's fish market on 14st and 16th ave?

Redlyne_mr2
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by G
Because I don't have the courage/heart/skill to kill a live lobster. :D

G
02-09-2010, 05:18 PM

Because I don't have the courage/heart/skill to kill a live lobster. :D

Man Up! Or you can put them in the freezer for like 5-10 minutes before you slice them in half. Make sure to stick a chop stick up the rear to let all the liquid out first.

Never tried but I am sure you can get the fish monger to cut it in half for you. Try the fish store where Lamba supermaket is.

bignerd
02-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I find them easier to make in the oven/under the broiler.

Cut the shell lengthwise with a pair of scissors on the top. If you carefully get your fingers under the shell (be careful the cut edges are sharp)you can gently pull the meat up on top of the shell in one piece(leave the end attached at the very end of the tail). Then slice slightly down the middle to remove the poop tube (sorry don't know the real name for this). I put a bit of seasoning salt on top and you are good to go. Should look similar to the tails you get at the Keg.

Broil in the oven on low until the meat is firm and no longer translucent (about 8 minutes).

nonlinear
02-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by G

live lobster is superior only when ultra fresh. frozen lobster is caught and flash frozen on the boat (like pretty much all sushi grade fish), and is thus very high quality. the problem with trying to keep live lobster is that once they are removed from the cold and high pressure, they stop eating, which degrades both the shell and meat. unless you can get super fresh lobster, frozen is often a good way to go. just my dumb opinion :thumbsup:

and thanks again to dj rice, beyond's resident culinary school grad!!!

EDIT: and i prefer steaming, although that's the only way i've done it, so take that for what you want hahah :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dannie
02-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Bump, going to do up some more this weekend but my question is, where can I find larger tails? The Safeway ones are always so small. :(

If you are in the south end of the city, hit up North Sea Fish Market by Willowpark Wines. I haven't been disappointed with anything I have bought there. If they have it, grab some chilean sea bass. Soooooo good :)

Otherwise, I agree with the suggestion for Billingsgate.

dj_rice
02-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by dannie

If you are in the south end of the city, hit up North Sea Fish Market by Willowpark Wines. I haven't been disappointed with anything I have bought there. If they have it, grab some chilean sea bass. Soooooo good :)

Otherwise, I agree with the suggestion for Billingsgate.

O M G, Chilean sea bass. :drool: I do a super easy recipe of the just the fish salted and peppered, with lots of soy sauce, slices of ginger/garlic layered around the fish a bit, put into a casserole dish, cook it in the microwave, can't remember how long, but it essentially steams the fish in the dish with the lid, then at the maybe last 5 mins of cooking, I chop up cilantro, and green onions, put on top, and voila, so good. The sauce itself is the fish juices/oils mixed with the soy sauce. Yes I know, I can steam the fish in a better way but this is a one dish cleanup :thumbsup:

dannie
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
^ That sounds eerily similar to mine :)

Soy Sauce, Oyster sauce, little bit of peanut oil, cilantro, garlic, ginger, scallions and I thrown a hot pepper or two in there for good measure. Marinate it for the day and bake it or bbq it.

I made it Sat night for a bunch of us with a spinach, mushroom, onion saute, veggies and dirty rice.

I love Chilean Sea Bass :D So good :)

bubbley
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
mmmmm

Also, cant believe beyond doesnt have a cook forum yet..

dj_rice
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by dannie
^ That sounds eerily similar to mine :)

Soy Sauce, Oyster sauce, little bit of peanut oil, cilantro, garlic, ginger, scallions and I thrown a hot pepper or two in there for good measure. Marinate it for the day and bake it or bbq it.

I made it Sat night for a bunch of us with a spinach, mushroom, onion saute, veggies and dirty rice.

I love Chilean Sea Bass :D So good :)

Why don't you come over to my place and we'll swap recipes?:thumbsup: And I am saying this under the assumption you are a female.

But yeah, the recipe can be used with any kind of white fleshed fish actually, even whole fish. I've substituted halibut in lieu of the sea bass once and even though it wasn't as smooth/soft fleshed and fatty as the sea bass, it was pretty good. But damn so expensive. :banghead:

dannie
02-10-2010, 04:41 PM
:) Your assumption is correct lol

Since I started using sea bass, I have had a hard time going back to halibut. At the North Sea Fish Market... I got 4 good size portion (about 6oz a piece) and it cost me around $26. Not too bad in my books....

sillysod
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by G

Man Up! Or you can put them in the freezer for like 5-10 minutes before you slice them in half. Make sure to stick a chop stick up the rear to let all the liquid out first.

Never tried but I am sure you can get the fish monger to cut it in half for you. Try the fish store where Lamba supermaket is.

Yup they are cold blooded so I throw them in the freezer for 10 min or so. They pretty much just go to sleep..... then... "I Kill you" and on the charcoal grill.

I would have a hard time doing it when they are all active n' shit, but out of the freezer its easy.

97'Scort
02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
You need the CrustaStun, son!

http://gizmodo.com/219716/crustastun-kills-your-lobsters-humanely

http://www.crustastun.com/single-stunner.html

Gotta eat a lot of lobster to make up for the $4000 price tag, especially when you can pith them with an awl for next to nothing :)

Redwagon
02-12-2010, 01:51 PM
You can try Boyd's Lobster Shop. Never tried them but they have a special with the Calgary Sun; buy a $100 gift certificate for only $50.

So you can get $100 worth of seafood for $50!

http://thriftythursdays.calgarysun.com/merchant.aspx?mid=1541

Edit: GC Sales start on Thursdays at 7am and you have to be quick for some of the other stores.

JKL@STRD
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Gee, R. thanks for the invite to dinner man...:(

:werd:
i want in when u get bigger lobster tails :D

szw
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

live lobster is superior only when ultra fresh. frozen lobster is caught and flash frozen on the boat (like pretty much all sushi grade fish), and is thus very high quality. the problem with trying to keep live lobster is that once they are removed from the cold and high pressure, they stop eating, which degrades both the shell and meat. unless you can get super fresh lobster, frozen is often a good way to go. just my dumb opinion :thumbsup:

and thanks again to dj rice, beyond's resident culinary school grad!!!

EDIT: and i prefer steaming, although that's the only way i've done it, so take that for what you want hahah :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sounds good but whenever I've had frozen lobster it really pales in comparison to just regular live lobster bought from the store. Just from my experience.

nonlinear
02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
there's some info on how to tell if a live lobster is fresh or not here:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/lobsterstorage.htm