Passat Sedan 2.0T / $30,975 / $3,500 / $27,475
Passat Sedan 3.6 4Motion / $48,075 / $5,100 / $42,975
Passat Wagon 2.0T / $32,475 / $3,500 / $28,975
Passat Wagon 3.6 4Motion / $49,775 / $5,100 / $44,675
Touareg 2 V6 / $49,975 / $5,000 / $44,975
Touareg 2 V8 / $64,775 / $5,800 / $58,975

bituerbo
02-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Now I wonder if these prices have been adjusted due to the Canadian dollar's value against the greenback, or the shyte-for-quality cars they've been producing these last couple of years.

Aleks
02-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Now I wonder if these prices have been adjusted due to the Canadian dollar's value against the greenback, or the shyte-for-quality cars they've been producing these last couple of years.

Probably the same reason Toyota/Lexus lowered their prices...

Xtrema
02-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Good move. I don't think $cdn is going anywhere so everyone should follow soon.

I still think the Lexus not lowering IS350 is a mistake.

blownz
02-14-2008, 09:57 AM
The more companies that do this the better! :thumbsup: (even if it still isn't as cheap as in the states...)

USED1
02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
If Canadians think these are "reductions" then it just goes to prove what the automobile industry already thinks..... Canadians are dumb and will still buy our products.

None of the automakers have reduced their prices to anywhere close to the US pricing. :thumbsdow

rc2002
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by USED1
None of the automakers have reduced their prices to anywhere close to the US pricing. :thumbsdow

If Canada had 300 million people and didn't have things like mandatory french documentation and low speed bumper crash test ratings, we would get the same pricing. It's all about economies of scale.

On a related note, the $200 off the Rabbit is almost an insult to the customer. Might as well not give any rebate.

teggypimp95
02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Are these prices fully loaded or base?

Aleks
02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

If Canada had 300 million people and didn't have things like mandatory french documentation and low speed bumper crash test ratings, we would get the same pricing. It's all about economies of scale.

On a related note, the $200 off the Rabbit is almost an insult to the customer. Might as well not give any rebate.

Ya the $200 bux is funny but Rabbit is prices pretty well to compete in its segment so they don't have to lower the price to sell them

Originally posted by teggypimp95
Are these prices fully loaded or base?

Starting base price.

Thaco
02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Most of these are just a slap int he face... lowering a $20k car by $200? that's pathetic

Xtrema
02-14-2008, 11:10 AM
I think the Rabbit is competitive, being a German.

The price is in-line with Sentra SE-R and Impreza (the other 2 cars with a 2.5L powerplant) but with less standard options.

benyl
02-14-2008, 11:18 AM
The Twat-rag is still WAY overpriced. Wonder when VW is going to realize it isn't a premium brand.

ryanallan
02-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
Most of these are just a slap int he face... lowering a $20k car by $200? that's pathetic

ya i agree. these reductions are pathetic .
hopefully there will be another round of reductions though.

the Touareg was reduced by about 10%. anything higher,
and i bet it would be been a big shock to their books.

Mr_ET
02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
these prices are still pretty rediculars compared to the US ones. Should have been lowered more but this is a start.

Next Honda will lower their prices and I will feel like I got owned on my 2008 Fit :(

Aleks
02-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by benyl
The Twat-rag is still WAY overpriced. Wonder when VW is going to realize it isn't a premium brand.

They did when they killed the Phaeton, took a V8 option out of the Passat, introduced City line that starts at 15K. The only really pricey car there is the Touareg. The problem is like with all german cars the options (engine wise and equipment wise) take the price sky high in a hurry.

heavyD
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Better than a kick in the ass. When you consider the sophistication, engine, interior quality and looks the 5-door GTI is the best car you can buy under $30K in Canada.

403Gemini
02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Better than a kick in the ass. When you consider the sophistication, engine, interior quality and looks the 5-door GTI is the best car you can buy under $30K in Canada.

does the GTI/GLI have LSD?

Xtrema
02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Next Honda will lower their prices and I will feel like I got owned on my 2008 Fit :(

Did you get the $1000 rebate from Government?

Mr_ET
02-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Still waiting for them to get back to me but I got a letter saying they received my application and are reviewing it.

I sent in my paperwork right after New year and I got their letter this week...

Always feels like they take forever to give you money but when you owe them some they want it ASAP.

Aleks
02-14-2008, 12:18 PM

:werd:

Originally posted by 403Gemini

does the GTI/GLI have LSD?

It does not, but my 330I didn't either and I didn't mind too much :)

Mr_ET
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM

Sorry man but I strongly dissargee. I think it's still too early to call it a good value for the money until we see how reliability is on them.

I've always thought the Golf and Jetta were appealing little cars and I absolutely love their interiors but they always have so many electrical and gadgetry issues that I stay really far away from them.

If this has been fixed, than this is a great little car for the money!

Also keep in mind that many people will dissagree about the cars looks and the 2.0T still has to prove itself.

403Gemini
02-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

It does not, but my 330I didn't either and I didn't mind too much :)

FWD with 200+ hp without lsd sucks though :(

boxer23
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by USED1

You should take a look at Chrysler, I've been comparing prices of their cars, CANADA is getting a better deal when u factor in the costs of importation. they've really done their part:eek:

max_boost
02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
:thumbsup: to any price reductions.

Hadoken
02-14-2008, 12:41 PM
seriously, why don't we get the R32 here?

Aleks
02-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Sorry man but I strongly dissargee. I think it's still too early to call it a good value for the money until we see how reliability is on them.

I've always thought the Golf and Jetta were appealing little cars and I absolutely love their interiors but they always have so many electrical and gadgetry issues that I stay really far away from them.

Also keep in mind that many people will dissagree about the cars looks and the 2.0T still has to prove itself.

2.0T has been voted one of 10 best engines in the world 3yrs straight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward's_10_Best_Engines

While the VW still have more problems than Honda/Toyota the new ones seem to be more reliable since they came out in 06 model year in N/A. I was scared of them too until I tried the Rabbit, no problems at all. Upgraded to the GTi, we'll see how that goes. If I come back here whining how my car is in the shop all the time you can tell me I told ya so :)

Xtrema
02-14-2008, 12:47 PM

2L turbo that can do 0-60 under 7. Had average economy of 8.5L/100km and it's a chip away from 240HP/250lb/ft of toruqe?

What else is there to prove?

heavyD
02-14-2008, 12:55 PM

I understand that the new ones aren't as problematic as the preveous generations. The 2.0LT has been around long enough in VW's and Audi's and no major issues. Remember most issues are electronic not mechanical. I never said most reliable but since we are talking new car, there is warranty.

What's better for under $30K in your opinion? Civic? Sure while most likely more reliable I don't think anybody is going to call the styling beautiful and the interior is a definate step back with the cyclops dash and Neon door panels. Not much else really after than provides the same performance and style as the GTI.

Mr_ET
02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I think exterior and interior styling is a personal preference. Some will love the civic's lines while others won't be able to get enough of the GTI so I won't comment on looks aside from saying the GTI is not a car that I find beautiful to look at.

When I said the 2.0T is an engine that needs to prove itself, I was not talking about power potential and gas mileage. I personally think it's a fantastic little engine but I want to wait a few more years before telling everyone I think it's great and they should buy one. I really liked the 1.8T at the time also but it proved to have many problems and many people will tell you to stay away from them now.

As far as great options under 30K, I don't even think it's fair to say the GTI is under 30K because they start at 29,500 and I am sure you'd have a heck of a time buying one without any options already added at the dealership.

The GTI has already been compared to a speed3 and a civic SI and has lost to both of them. With that said I think all three products are great and are all winners. It really depends what the buyer is looking for.

If you want a car that feels solid, is fun to drive, has a great interior and that upscale feel, it's hard to beat! If the reliability is also there, this is an outstanding car for the money.

blownz
02-14-2008, 04:16 PM

Several years ago virtually every car in Canada was cheaper to buy than in the US. Thousands of ~6 month old Canadian cars were shipped to the states every month. How did your 'economies of scale' theory work back then?

It has nothing to do with economies of scale and only to do with the fact they never expected the exchange to fluctuate that much in such a short period of time and if they imediately reduced all of their prices by say 30% it would really piss everyone off that just bought new cars. And on the flip side if they suddenly increase US prices by 30% they would basically grind new car sales to a halt. Not to mention that the currency can just as quickly go back the other direction and would everyone in Canada be happy with a 30% price increase the next year?

The discrepancies suck but they simply can't adjust pricing as quickly as we would all like.

USED1
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
^It also has to do with residual values on leases. If they reduce the price significantly the residual values will go to shit and they will have some trouble on their hands.

At any rate, it still sucks but most Canadians don't seem to mind paying inflated prices for the same thing.

heavyD
02-15-2008, 09:31 AM

The GTI has already been compared to a speed3 and a civic SI and has lost to both of them. With that said I think all three products are great and are all winners. It really depends what the buyer is looking for.

Funny I have C&D and R&T magazines which both picked the GTI head to head with the Civic Si as well as a shootout that had a 5-door GTI come out on top of a group of sport compacts including the Civic Si. The only time I've seen the Civic Si picked over the GTI was in SCC magazine and that was more of a track contest.

If you are really worried about reliability then you would take out the MS3 as the 2.3L direct injection engine isn't bulletproof yet as if you check MS6 and MS3 boards, CEL's and strange problems plauge them. Even R&T had to make several stops to the dealer on their long term MS3 as they couldn't clear the CEL without it coming back and complaints about interior rattles.

Mr_ET
02-15-2008, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't buy an ms3 either. To be honest, the civic si has such a strong name behind it that people buy it over the other 2 because they "believe" it will be more reliable. I have heard of some tranny issues with them also.

I pretty much only read SCC or other primedia publications so that would be why I said the SI won the matchup lol.

I have also seen the ms3 win over those 2 and the wrx so I think in all fairness, any car mag or tv show can make one car stand out more than the others based on their own personal preference.

When I was younger I used to really want a golf GTI VR6 but I eventually drifted away because of all the electrical issues. I sincerely hope they can get back into the reliability game because I like their products and love what you can do to them with a few aftermarket parts.

analbumcover
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
i didnt realize Vee Dubs cost that much, an eos cut me off today and i was like fucking german piece of shit

turns out the german piece of shit was 37k, Sheyza

Mr_ET
02-15-2008, 10:16 AM
retractable hardtop.

Anyone heard of those holding up or breaking all the time?

JRSC00LUDE
02-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Better be careful about throwing around some of these "negative" opinions on VW's. I'm surprised adidas hasn't started whining like a little bitch and insulting people yet, she must be too busy being superior to someone right now.

rc2002
02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by blownz

Several years ago virtually every car in Canada was cheaper to buy than in the US. Thousands of ~6 month old Canadian cars were shipped to the states every month. How did your 'economies of scale' theory work back then?

Several years ago, thousands of cars were imported from the US too. A lot of people I know were bringing up cars from the US several years ago too because they were cheaper down there. They've always been cheaper in the US.

blownz
02-15-2008, 11:02 AM
They have not always been cheaper. The MSRP may have been less but because the Canadian dollar was worth less than 70 cents for so long they were not actually cheaper and it was instead cheaper in Canada.

F350 Fords for instance 6 years ago you were able to sell a 6 month old one to the US for MORE than it cost to buy brand new in Canada. You have no idea how much rental companies made on them plus tons of other cars. 6-7 years ago was a great time for car and truck rental companies because huge fleets were sent to the states because the cars were so much cheaper to buy in Canada.

The MSRP was never the issue, it was the exchange rate just like it is now.

Xtrema
02-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by analbumcover
i didnt realize Vee Dubs cost that much, an eos cut me off today and i was like fucking german piece of shit

turns out the german piece of shit was 37k, Sheyza

Ain't those for girls? A replacement for the Cabrio?

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2001/Volkswagen/100001914/2001.volkswagen.cabrio.10712-396x249.jpg

rc2002
02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
I highly doubt "fleets" of them would be sent to the US. Commercial companies down there are pretty anal about having the instrumentation in imperial units. Especially in a country fraught with lawsuits for the most trivial things. Any rental car I've ever seen in the US has had MPH on the gauge clusters.

For the 6-7 year time period you mentioned, I've done all my research on cars on American websites and no matter what the exchange rate, any car I've looked at has been cheaper in the US (not counting duties, cost of importing, etc.). The amount of savings from importing a car has increased as our dollar has gone up, but there have always been savings.

The Americans have 10 times our population and buy probably 10 times as many cars as us. The manufacturers really don't have to charge as much to make a profit down there.

Aleks
02-17-2008, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't buy an ms3 either. To be honest, the civic si has such a strong name behind it that people buy it over the other 2 because they "believe" it will be more reliable. I have heard of some tranny issues with them also.

I pretty much only read SCC or other primedia publications so that would be why I said the SI won the matchup lol.

I have also seen the ms3 win over those 2 and the wrx so I think in all fairness, any car mag or tv show can make one car stand out more than the others based on their own personal preference.

When I was younger I used to really want a golf GTI VR6 but I eventually drifted away because of all the electrical issues. I sincerely hope they can get back into the reliability game because I like their products and love what you can do to them with a few aftermarket parts.

GTI is a lot faster than the Si in Calgary apparently :D

Mr_ET
02-17-2008, 06:12 PM

GTI is a lot faster than the Si in Calgary apparently :D

I would not doubt that n/a at this altitude sucks lol.

Planning on modding anything on this one Aleks?

I see a few runs down the 1/4 mile in your future;)

danno
02-17-2008, 07:56 PM
i've got no complaints about my 07 gti, the dealers are the worst that's the only problem i have. i've read a few mags on the car and it always loses to the ms3 but that's about it. for the price i payed i'm quite happy with what i got. thinking about getting a passat when the kiddies come

i have a evoms intake on mine and 19's, to scared to do anything else to it. haha

max_boost
02-17-2008, 08:07 PM

GTI is a lot faster than the Si in Calgary apparently :D OK let's go for a run! haha

I really like the GTI's and strongly considered one but the payments were just too damn good on the Si.

Mr_ET
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
do I see a little grudge match this summer at racecity?

gpomp
02-17-2008, 10:51 PM
gti is faster than the si...

Mr_ET
02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
but yours is that heavy pig 4 door model ;)

maybe the 2 door would compete lol:rofl:

Klobi-1-Kinobi
02-18-2008, 12:47 AM

Funny I have C&D and R&T magazines which both picked the GTI head to head with the Civic Si as well as a shootout that had a 5-door GTI come out on top of a group of sport compacts including the Civic Si. The only time I've seen the Civic Si picked over the GTI was in SCC magazine and that was more of a track contest.

If you are really worried about reliability then you would take out the MS3 as the 2.3L direct injection engine isn't bulletproof yet as if you check MS6 and MS3 boards, CEL's and strange problems plauge them. Even R&T had to make several stops to the dealer on their long term MS3 as they couldn't clear the CEL without it coming back and complaints about interior rattles.

The car mag comparos I've seen all seem to favour the ms3. Of course I dont buy my cars based on what is printed in magazines, but they make for an interesting read.

Ms3's will have their share of problems, just like any car. Vw's, despite the upscale interior will likely have just as many rattles as the mazda down the road. You mentioned the phantom cel that R&T's long term ms3 suffered. That was a faulty purge solenoid, a rare failure and difficult to diagnose.

Anyways, the new price reductions are a point in VW's favour I think. Add the 230hp 2.0t (from the euro 30ae gti) with a lsd and the gti would be a no brainer imo.

Aleks
02-18-2008, 02:21 AM

I would not doubt that n/a at this altitude sucks lol.

Planning on modding anything on this one Aleks?

I see a few runs down the 1/4 mile in your future;)

Maybe some wheels and suspension. I know the chip would wake it up pretty good though. The launch control would make for some pretty consistent 1/4 times I think.

Originally posted by max_boost
OK let's go for a run! haha

I really like the GTI's and strongly considered one but the payments were just too damn good on the Si.

It's not even close at this altitude ;)

Can't argue with Si payments tho, and the car is really fun to drive.

Originally posted by gpomp
gti is faster than the si...

gpomp
02-18-2008, 02:40 AM
the 5-door GTI is the best car you can buy under $30K in Canada. add on the DSG/leather seats and you have a $38k car, about $9k more than the Si. then factor in the honda 0.9% rates vs the vw's 3.9% and you're paying well over $10k more for the GTI.

i find the GTI a tad boring to drive compared to the si...

road & track did a review recently with all these cars and here are the results: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0607_pockets_results2.pdf

the results show the GTI ahead of the Si if price were not a factor but the Si over the GTI if you factor in the price. go figure...

HuyNh_SI
02-18-2008, 03:30 AM
lol its funny how people can compare 2 inline 4 cylinder cars when 1 has turbo and the other one doesn't.. of course the turbo one should be faster.. but the 2.0litre k20z3 is impressive because it pushes the same amount of horsepower without the turbo.. and plus honda's do have a better reputation at holding their value.. sooo the fairest way to put this is the civic si gets more bang for its buck =)

Daan
02-18-2008, 04:23 AM
quality of VW went down.
designs are horrible.

it was time for the prices to go down also.

Aleks
02-18-2008, 01:33 PM
add on the DSG/leather seats and you have a $38k car, about $9k more than the Si. then factor in the honda 0.9% rates vs the vw's 3.9% and you're paying well over $10k more for the GTI.

i find the GTI a tad boring to drive compared to the si...

road & track did a review recently with all these cars and here are the results: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0607_pockets_results2.pdf

the results show the GTI ahead of the Si if price were not a factor but the Si over the GTI if you factor in the price. go figure...

Get a 2 door GTi with no dsg and no leather and the price is only a couple of grand more. Can't get DSG or leather or a whole bunch of other things in the Si that the loaded GTi has. Can't expect the price to be the same.

Originally posted by HuyNh_SI
lol its funny how people can compare 2 inline 4 cylinder cars when 1 has turbo and the other one doesn't.. of course the turbo one should be faster.. but the 2.0litre k20z3 is impressive because it pushes the same amount of horsepower without the turbo.. and plus honda's do have a better reputation at holding their value.. sooo the fairest way to put this is the civic si gets more bang for its buck =)

No one is arguing the bang for the buck of the Civic. Gti is more expensive and it feels more expensive when you get in and drive. The turbo engine will always have an advantage because for 800 bux I can add 40hp and 100tq if I wanted to, can't do that with an N/A motor.
I have driven the Si a lot in the last few days and it's a lot of fun if you keep the engine on the boil...

blownz
02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I highly doubt "fleets" of them would be sent to the US. Commercial companies down there are pretty anal about having the instrumentation in imperial units. Especially in a country fraught with lawsuits for the most trivial things. Any rental car I've ever seen in the US has had MPH on the gauge clusters.

For the 6-7 year time period you mentioned, I've done all my research on cars on American websites and no matter what the exchange rate, any car I've looked at has been cheaper in the US (not counting duties, cost of importing, etc.). The amount of savings from importing a car has increased as our dollar has gone up, but there have always been savings.

The Americans have 10 times our population and buy probably 10 times as many cars as us. The manufacturers really don't have to charge as much to make a profit down there.

I worked for a rental company back then as a controller and even though we were a relatively small company, we sent 50-100 vehicles a month to the US. And I never said anything about selling them or sending them to rental companies in the US. They were all sold to dealerships in the US or large wholesalers that then sold to dealerships with added profit. And the gauges weren't an issue as they were all changed before they crossed the border. It was as cheap as $200 to change some vehicles gauges.

Trust me there were lots of rental companies in Canada doing that at the time. You buy a brand new vehicle, rent it for 6 months, sell it to a dealership in the US for almost the same as what you paid for it (sometimes even more). The only restrictions most manufacturers had at the time for warranty was that the vehicles had to be at least 6 months old or have 20k on them.

And like you said about the US market being so big, it was almost impossible to flood them with Canadian vehicles. It was a great time. Unfortunately when the dollar started going up, without much notice the dealerships in the US almost completely stopped buying and many Canadian rental companies had their fleets on the books for more than what they were worth now and it caused several franchises to go bankrupt.

You should have seen the GST audits rental companies had to deal with back then as they were making huge sales with no gst every month.

True story. I was there. :thumbsup:

heavyD
02-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Daan
quality of VW went down.
designs are horrible.

it was time for the prices to go down also.

On the topic of reliability it will be interesting to see how the 6-speed tranny in the Si lasts over time. R&T's long term Si had grinding in 2nd & 3rd gear in a relatively short time. Having owned a couple of Hondas that both suffered from weak synchros I would have hoped that they would have done something about it. I'll take the odd VW electrical glitch over transmission work anytime.

zipdoa
02-21-2008, 01:22 PM

Same horsepower but no torque...

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races!

Daan
02-21-2008, 01:33 PM
lower prices

same low quality interiors

blownz
02-21-2008, 02:45 PM
^ I think interiors are one of their strong suits. Definitely better stuff than the Honda/Toyota/Nissan equivalents (not to mention the domestics).

gpomp
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
the interiors have a lot of features like heated seats, multi function displays, climate control, etc... but the materials and build quality are no better than any japanese car.

heavyD
02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
the interiors have a lot of features like heated seats, multi function displays, climate control, etc... but the materials and build quality are no better than any japanese car.

I disagree. The materials are of a higher quality and there is far less hard plastic that plauges most cars in the price range including the cheap hard plastics in the new Civics which are amongst the worst I've seen in a Honda.

Mr_ET
02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
I'd rather have gauges that work over fancy looking ones that break after a while.

Feels like they are stepping it up over the japanese on their interiors with all the nice materials and fancy features but they all end up malfunctioning after a while.

Maybe to stay at a competitive price point, the actual electronics behind the gadgets aren't up to par with Honda and Toyota :(

I'd really love the 5th gen to prove me wrong and be dead reliable:thumbsup:

Aleks
02-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Remember how hard your dash is, remember feeling mine? ;)

I like this
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z312/ATPhotodesign/DSC_2849a.jpg

Over this
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/W/w/08_mugensi_interior.jpg

Aleks
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
I'd rather have gauges that work over fancy looking ones that break after a while.

Feels like they are stepping it up over the japanese on their interiors with all the nice materials and fancy features but they all end up malfunctioning after a while.

Maybe to stay at a competitive price point, the actual electronics behind the gadgets aren't up to par with Honda and Toyota :(

I'd really love the 5th gen to prove me wrong and be dead reliable:thumbsup:

Fifth gen has been out since 05. Rabbit's been rated above average reliability and GTi has been rated avg.

Gpump and I got our cars at the same time, we'll see who's car starts having issues first. My bet is his 3rd starts popping out before my taillight starts burning out ;)

heavyD
02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/W/w/08_mugensi_interior.jpg

Ahhhh! I'm still getting over spending time in one of these abominations last week and now you post that grotesque, hideous steering wheel and fisher price dash. :barf: :barf: :barf:

I've seen mini-vans with better interiors hell Honda put a better layout in the Fit for crying out loud.

Aleks
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
haha, it's a fun car to drive tho. I even had a deposit on one back when they first came out.

I think the integra was by far my favourite Honda car. I loved that thing.

heavyD
02-21-2008, 04:23 PM
haha, it's a fun car to drive tho. I even had a deposit on one back when they first came out.

I think the integra was by far my favourite Honda car. I loved that thing.

They are still good cars, just some questionable decisions in regards to styling & materials.

90's were the glory years for most of the Japanese car manufacturers. The only thing I didn't like about the Integra was the cheap metal they used on the body. My brother kept his 96 GSR as well as possible and it still got cancer in the fenders and lower doors.

gpomp
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM

I like this
both plastics are hard and shitty. at least they're not hollow like all the other econo cars out there.

even though interior of the civic may not appeal to everyone, the ergonomics are the best in this class. the steering and tranny are not bad either.

Mr_ET
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM

hell Honda put a better layout in the Fit for crying out loud.

Now you're talking:rofl:

Aleks I wouldn't use the tailights as your example those will go out way before gpomp's 3rd gear. VW has always been really bad with those :P

nismodrifter
02-21-2008, 06:30 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

I often stroke my dash while sitting in traffic. It feels fantastic.

gpomp
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
lol its funny how people can compare 2 inline 4 cylinder cars when 1 has turbo and the other one doesn't.. of course the turbo one should be faster.. they are both rated at 200 hp.... what is heavier? a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?

Aleks
02-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Civic actually makes more hp
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/6710874/0610_c+2007_honda_civic_si+dyno_chart.jpg
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/features/6710790/0610_c+2007_volkswagen_GTI+dyno_chart.jpg

heavyD
02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
What does Honda have against torque? They make wonderful 4-cylinder engines but a little torque would be nice for the days where you just want to get from point A to point B without having to work the car.

Mr_ET
02-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda engines are built that way to be both performant and very fuel efficient when needed.

I am sure if we compared fuel consumption on both engines the Honda would win in the lower end because it requires less fuels and therefore makes less HP/TQ.

Also, if you're gonna rev an engine to 8500rpms and still make power, torque will suffer.

My K24 Accord engine is great for low end grunt and makes almost as much torque as it does hp but it only revs to 6500rpms too..

Aleks
02-22-2008, 10:43 AM
New EPA L/100 km

2008 Volkswagen GTI

City 11.2
Combined 9.8
HWY 8.1

2008 Honda Civic

City 11.2
Combined 10.2
HWY 8.1

source: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

blownz
02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
^ but who cares if it has more power, nicer interior, better mileage, more refined, etc....the Honda is more reliable so everyone should want to buy that... lol

If I was buying a brand new car today reliability would be one of the last things I considered. Even the worse than average ones like VW or many GM products aren't nearly as bad as people make them seem.

Mr_ET
02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
An you own a BMW so you're not stupid:thumbsup:

:rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
New EPA L/100 km

2008 Volkswagen GTI

City 11.2
Combined 9.8
HWY 8.1

2008 Honda Civic

City 11.2
Combined 10.2
HWY 8.1

source: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

How can city/highway mileage be exactly the same between the two models but "combined" is better on the honda?

schocker
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
both show 24mpg combined from the epa site.
the reliability has been much higher though on the mkv's than the older mkivs which had their repetitive issues.

blownz
02-22-2008, 12:06 PM
An you own a BMW so you're not stupid:thumbsup:

:rofl:

And if you could type the sentence properly, you wouldn't look so stupid...

The BMW comments on this site are getting a little old... :rolleyes:

JRSC00LUDE
02-22-2008, 12:11 PM
The BMW comments on this site are getting a little old... :rolleyes:

Wrong.

But, you could uppercut him. If that wouldn't be too ridiculars of a reaction. Ha guys, what do you think? Waffle.

Mr_ET
02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Wrong.

But, you could uppercut him. If that wouldn't be too ridiculars of a reaction. Ha guys, what do you think? Waffle.

Red lobsters 8pm TONIGHT :P

I like how his comeback was trying to insult my typing skills because I missed a "d" at the end of and:thumbsup:

The BMW jokes will continue until morale improves:whipped:

gpomp
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
the bmw jokes will continue as long as bmw owners post retarded comments.

Mr_ET
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM

If I was buying a brand new car today reliability would be one of the last things I considered.

blownz
02-25-2008, 11:46 AM
How is that a retarded comment?

All new cars have pretty decent warranties and are considerably more reliable than they were in the past. If I was buying a new car today I would put a bigger emphasis on styling, comfort, handling, power, features, etc than on reliability. That is an opinion and is far from retarded.

You may think reliability is your number one consideration in a new vehicle purchase and that is perfectly fine but you would probably end up with a corolla or camry which may be a decent car, but would be towards the bottom of my list because of what I would be looking for.

Seriously guys, your posts are pathetic. :rolleyes:

Mr_ET
02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
having any fuel pump, ecu or electronics issues yet?

blownz
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
^ no, and if I did I wouldn't care. It would be at the dealership and I would be driving a rental. Probably something like a fit.

Mr_ET
02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Probably because that would offer daily reliability and get you from point a to point b which is what a car is supposed to do right?

edit: we have also sufficiently gone off course here so unless it's something about vw price reductions I don't plan to reply:thumbsup:

blownz
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
lol agreed