PDA

View Full Version : HK phone to use 3G service in canada(calgary)?

winson2001
02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
how do i setup/update my 3G phone from HK to be able to use 3G service in calgary if its possible? or dose it even require any setup/update? my phone is sony ericsson w880i n T650i tried to do a video call in my basement n it failed, so i'm not sure if i need setup/update or the 3G service uses different signal n the signal is just too weak or not even covered in my area. any info will help, thanX all ^^

Update: April 6th 2008
Thank you everyone for all the replies thank you very much ^^, now that i know my phone's 3G won't work here, i want to know if i want a Sony Ericsson phone, which model(if theres any) should i buy to have 3G be able to work in Calgary? or what am i looking for in a phone in order for 3G to work here? or dose HK phones n roger just don't work together? Thanks in advance ^^

HondaRice
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
is it evdo?

Hadoken
02-14-2008, 02:48 PM
both of those phones do not support the north american bands for HSDPA... they only support UMTS 2100

I believe they are also without the GSM 850 band critical for the best reception here.

winson2001
02-14-2008, 03:56 PM
sry dunno whats evdo ^^; thanks hondarice, n thank you hadoken, so my phones just simply can't use 3G here?

SilverGS
02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Don't you need a data plan that allows for Video calls?

Hadoken
02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
EVDO is the high speed thing for the CDMA here, like on Bell/Telus.

Yup, that's right... no 3G for you here in North America, but you get 3G and full reception pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Sort of sucks, I know. :dunno:

winson2001
02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
thank you very very much for the info guys^^ its too bad that i can't use'em here but its not like i needed it haha was just gonna try it for fun:D , SilverGS i'm not sure what plan i need but i called rogers n they said i can do a 3G call anytime as long as my phone can support it.

HondaRice
02-16-2008, 05:16 PM
evdo, high speed internet, runs ontop of CDMA. i was one of the first to use it evdo on westnet wireless. i get about 1.3 up using REV-A faster then shaw nitro upload.

i guess westnet is not looking for anymore testers for the service, they convinced investors years ago.

westnet adapted a open network policy,first in canada, like verizon wireless they will activate any phone as long as it meets basic standards. too bad telus /bell will not allow forigen esn.

winson2001
04-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Thank you everyone for all the replies thank you very much ^^, now that i know my phone's 3G won't work here, i want to know if i want a Sony Ericsson phone, which model(if theres any) should i buy to have 3G be able to work in Calgary? or what am i looking for in a phone in order for 3G to work here? or dose HK phones n roger just don't work together? sorry for all the noob question but i really have no clue at all :D Thanks in advance ^^

dragonone
04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
even if ur HK phone had the NA 3g band, you'd b paying outta ur ass for data rates
roger's 3g data promos are specific to their phone's IMEIs, it would still work, just not under their promo rate
(think it was like $7/month for unlimited browsing)

so now i'm thinking of getting a roger's phone and unlocking it, or flashing phones to change to a known roger's imei (which is illegal apparently)

winson2001
04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
i think its like $0.35/min or something like that, i called n asked last time about it n it was cheap enuff that i don't mind using it once in a while. but its been few months since i called, so i dunno if they have changed anything.