PDA

View Full Version : lapping days....

GoChris
02-14-2008, 02:18 PM
If by chance I manage to find out about any lapping days and also get to go (if anyone is having one haha please let me know), do I need my competition driving license? Or is that only if its a WMCA sanctioned race and not a "fun" day?

I'm taking the school and I'm not sure if I should bother getting my license also, entering some races would be nice but if I can get in on some lapping days that's probably good enough to satisfy me (probably safer for the car too).

GoChris
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM
someone must know

962 kid
02-15-2008, 11:12 AM
You don't need your wmca license for lapping days - back when beyond was about cars, we used to have beyond track days and I'm pretty sure
noone had theirs. It's always good to check before you go, but if the event is not timed then you're likely good to go.

soloracer
02-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Lapping days are usually put on by a group (BMW Club, Exotic Club, Porsche Club, etc) or by a private organizer (Jay Pringle, etc.) and to my knowledge they don't require anything other than a valid drivers license and a good attitude. The WCMA license is needed only if you want to compete in racing events.

GoChris
02-15-2008, 11:38 PM
thanks, I figured as much, as neat as it would be to get the license, I think I'm just going to take the course to learn and have fun driving instead of trying to take a test.

rage2
02-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Jay wants all participants to already have track experience. The reason for this is because a lot of newbies did really stupid shit at some of the beyond track days. This is also why we don't organize them anymore.

4wheeldrift
02-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
You don't need your wmca license for lapping days - back when beyond was about cars, we used to have beyond track days and I'm pretty sure
noone had theirs. Not entirely true ;) But generally yes. As rage said, there was some seriously dumb stuff going on at the open lapping days and there was serious potential for disaster. That being said the performance driving courses are a lot of fun, an excellent learning experience and worth it, even if you never go racing afterwards.

Idratherbsidewayz
02-16-2008, 04:32 PM
What did people do?

4wheeldrift
02-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Off the top of my head, the rules were quite clearly explained at the beginning of the sessions and people weren't able to obey even simple things like "Don't pass anywhere other than on the straights" and "Don't pass on the right". Driving like idiots to the point of being a danger to everyone else on the track and other general needless asshatery. I'm sure there was more than just stuff like that going on.

rage2
02-16-2008, 05:25 PM
There were also a few incidents where there was drinking and weed smoking. I'm not sure if it was the driver or their friends. Just complete douchebagery. It could've waited till AFTER the track day.

sh0ko
02-16-2008, 06:02 PM
wow are u serious?!

so like....is it just bring ur car ...lap for fun?! does it cost much?! guessing its open to all based on this discussion....? and im guessing its held whenever a major group organizes it?

Originally posted by rage2
There were also a few incidents where there was drinking and weed smoking. I'm not sure if it was the driver or their friends. Just complete douchebagery. It could've waited till AFTER the track day.

rage2
02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
It was that easy. It's not as easy getting into one as a n00b nowadays.

4wheeldrift
02-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Generally the lapping days were fairly expensive. I think the beyond ones were averaging around $150 a pop for the day. That's just your fee, not including gas and everything else. All kinds of groups around organize them but a lot of them limit participation to just members of their own clubs for exactly this reason now.