PDA

View Full Version : Perfect steak - how to make?

Neons4life
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I want to see how everyone makes their steak? and what cut of meat you use?

I love going to steak houses and eating a steak there, but when I cook them myself I can't make them nearly as good. So what is the secret to making a great steak?

Paul
02-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I use this recipe, it's from Michael Smith (food network) and plan on having it tonight too:

2 Rib-eye's from Sobey's
Marinade in:
- Olive Oil
- grated lemon (rind only)
- cracked black pepper
- dijon mustard
- freshly chopped rosemary

He suggests cooking it over campfire coals, but I just buy one of those salmon planks or cedar chip smokers on the BBQ gets the same effect.

Sounds different but defnitely worth trying!

npham
02-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Two main things, besides seasoning, you'll need to let the steak rest until it's room temperature, and then you will also need super hot heat. These two things will make your steaks a lot better.

strong
02-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Start with a New York cut, make sure it has good amount of marble in the meat. Also make sure it is a AAA beef or your steak will never be as good as the steak house. Start with a clean grill on high heat then you can season your steak with your fav steak spice. Once your grill is nice and hot throw your steak on the grill. turn down the heat to about 3/4 heat. Now this can be tricky depending on how you like your steak I personaly like my Mid Rare I would cook mine 4 minutes a side (depending on the thickness). Now I buy steaks that are about 1 to 1.5 inches thick for the grill. Just a little insight good luck

alloroc
02-14-2008, 04:11 PM
M&M Meats Teriaki.

Follow the directions on the package.

Lastly a thick steak is kind of like cake. You can tell how well done it is how by how it bounces back and how it feels when you push down on it with the flat side of a fork on the bbq.

89coupe
02-14-2008, 04:11 PM
I buy all my beef from a co-worker who owns his own Organic Cattle Ranch just outside of Airdrie.

I buy nothing but Filet Mignon cut, roughly a 1/2lb per steak.

Let the steaks thaw on the counter till room temperature.

Fire up your barby and get it really hot!

For myself i take a little virgin olive oil and baste my steaks and then drop them on the barby.

I cook them for exactly 4min a side, just before flipping them I give them a nice coat of Montreal Steak spice. I then let the other side cook for 4 minutes. Just before the 4min are up I coat the other side with Montreal Steak spice.

From here I take them off the grill and let rest on a plate. This allows any excess water to bleed off that you don't want messing up your dinner plate with.

The end result is a perfectly cooked medium rare steak that you can cut with a butter knife and melts in your mouth.:drool:

Oh, a tip. Never poke your fork into the steak while its cooking. Also, never add any type of seasoning salts onto your steak before putting it on the barby.

Reason for high heat is to sear the steaks surface and seal in all the goodness ;)

Kona9
02-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I buy all my beef from a co-worker who owns his own Organic Cattle Ranch just outside of Airdrie.

I buy nothing but Filet Mignon cut, roughly a 1/2lb per steak.

Let the steaks thaw on the counter till room temperature.

Fire up your barby and get it really hot!

For myself i take a little virgin olive oil and baste my steaks and then drop them on the barby.

I cook them for exactly 4min a side, just before flipping them I give them a nice coat of Montreal Steak spice. I then let the other side cook for 4 minutes. Just before the 4min are up I coat the other side with Montreal Steak spice.

From here I take them off the grill and let rest on a plate. This allows any excess water to bleed off that you don't want messing up your dinner plate with.

The end result is a perfectly cooked medium rare steak that you can cut with a butter knife and melts in your mouth.:drool:

Oh, a tip. Never poke your fork into the steak while its cooking. Also, never add any type of seasoning salts onto your steak before putting it on the barby.

Reason for high heat is to sear the steaks surface and seal in all the goodness ;)

:drool: :drool: :drool: QFMFT!!

szw
02-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I find Filet Mignon doesn't have much taste compared to other cuts, but it is nice and tender.

but...im getting hungry reading this.

~Leah~
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I like to marinate mine in beer and worchestershire sauce.... makes it even more tender and juicy with a bit of flavor!! Then I second the notions of high heat to sear the steak and keep all the juices in, and then letting it sit under some foil wrap for a few mins after cooking.

Trini
02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: hungry now

legendboy
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
kirkland rib steaks ftw >*

Quadrifoglio
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
You probably just arent buying the same quality of steak.
Find some Canadian AAA or USDA choice.
Then just perfect your bbq skills. Four flips of the steak and enough time to get to your desired doneness.

Fooling around with wine marinades is a great way to make steak awesome.

Crymson
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Buy the costco sirloins ( about 17$$ for 4 massive, and delicious steaks). Take them out of the freezer the night before, and in the morning, let them soak in -- this may sound gross, but it's the most delicous steak i've ever had -- a tonne of oyster sauce, heaps of crushed garlic, and a little lemon. After they've soaked in that for about 6 hrs, they'll cook in about 5 - 8 minutes per side on a searing heat. DELICOIS! bon ape tit.

Strider
02-14-2008, 05:04 PM
I used to like T-bones because you get some striploin and some tenderloin, but after a while, I decided that tenderloin (filet mignon) is pretty flavorless and boring...

Now all I cook is ribeye. It's the perfect balance between flavor and tenderness. When choosing your steaks, look for nice thick steaks, with plenty of marbling throughout... that will ensure that it's super juicy and tender.

Before cooking, take your steaks out of the fridge for a couple hours to let them come to room temperature. Start up your BBQ about 20-30 min before you plan on cooking to make sure it gets super super hot. Pat the steaks dry with paper towel and rub a couple tablespoons of olive oil on them to coat both sides. Use a towel to rub a little olive oil on the grill as well. Then, just before you throw the steaks on the grill, rub a bit of coarse grained salt on them (it's important that you don't salt them ahead of time). I like ~ 4 minutes on each side for medium rare, turn them 90 degrees about 2 minutes in if you want the nice cross-hatched grill marks. After you take them off the grill, let them rest for about 3-5 minutes before you cut into them, so that the juices can settle back into the meat.

Enjoy.

Kritafo
02-14-2008, 06:01 PM
i never ever never use frozen steak. I use various rubs. Though sometimes I use none at all, I just want to taste the meat. Not coat it all in spice. We like our meat blue rare but will eat up to Medium rare.

Let your meat sit at room temp before BBQ'ing.

Let your meat rest after it's come off the BBQ. Go to BBQ's Galore and buy steak boards.

I move my steaks for the criss cross and only flip once. Always tender. I have bought meat from various butchers all over town and organic meat, wild meats etc. Costco sells decent meat and you won't feel screwed over. I tend to buy NY strip, Sirloins. I do avoid the Fillets, just because of the flavour of the beef. The cut does affect the taste. I still love a good T-Bone as well.

Make sure you buy at least 1 inch steaks. Make sure your BBQ is hot enough.

Find your cooking times through trial and error. I am about 4 min per side on our BBQ, which is needing to be replaced.

There really isn't much to it. Just good meat and getting to know your BBQ cooking times.

ringmaster
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I take a nice co op ribeye and after letting it thaw on the couter in a dish, pour a little soy sauce over the meat and let the dish catch the runoff. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the steak with it. Leave it there for as long as possible, like 20 min is good for the steak to absorb some more sauce. Meanwhile fire up the bbq and get it good and hot. Mine only goes upto about 600 but the hotter the better. Slap the steak on the grill after preheating the bbq and put some montreal steak spice on the one side before closing the lid and turning all the burners to about 2/3 power. wait a few minutes and flip it. after about 10 minutes combined time for both sides it should be perfect.

ercchry
02-14-2008, 06:29 PM
so we get our steak straight from the packers and we get it as a log of tenderloin, let it age in the fridge for 28 days and cut our own steaks to what ever size we want, or cook the whole thing at once

here are 2 of my favorite ways of cooking it, on is more of the steak flavor and the other is just tasty

1. corona steak

let meat sit on counter top for about an hour with corona and steak spice (montreal steak spice) and olive oil

heat up bbq as hot as you can (over 400F)

toss steak on bbq and flip within 15sec and pour corona on it, repeat

turn bbq down to about 250F or so and cook till done to how ever you like it

every time you flip it (4 flips in total 2 per side) add more corona

after last flip add steak spice after the beer (make sure to let beer fall into bbq this time) and let it get smoked a bit

2. tasty steak

this is more for a mid to poor cut of meat that you dont care if you can taste the steak or not

marinate steak on counter top in:

-red wine
-olive oil
-balsamic vinegar
-maple syrup
-garlic
-steak spice
-honey mustard

make sure there is alot of it and throw it in a big ziplock bag with the steak for about an hour before cooking (flip every now and then)

cook the same as above but instead of beer use the marinate

GQBalla
02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
heres what i use for my steaks and i must admit i make a good steak.

i marinate with
- 1 beer (depending on how many steaks usually 1 for 4 steaks)
- olive oil
- montreal steak spice
- soya sauce
- oyster sauce

like stated i let it marinate on the counter for 3-4 hours so the meat and marinade is room temp

- heat up the bbq for 15 minutes with all burners up high
- place the steaks on the grill and leave there for 4 minutes
- flip them and wait another 4 minutes
- than take them right off
- wait 5 - 10 minutes before eating (let the juices come back into the steak)

now a key point is never poke the meat before hand or else there will be holes for the juices to come out some like to turn their steaks to get the diamond burn pattern but i dont like doin that for some reason i notice the steaks never as good... (maybe im just on crack)

A790
02-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Buy the costco sirloins ( about 17$$ for 4 massive, and delicious steaks). Take them out of the freezer the night before, and in the morning, let them soak in -- this may sound gross, but it's the most delicous steak i've ever had -- a tonne of oyster sauce, heaps of crushed garlic, and a little lemon. After they've soaked in that for about 6 hrs, they'll cook in about 5 - 8 minutes per side on a searing heat. DELICOIS! bon ape tit.
True and true!

hassanc21
02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I like to go to a restaurant called Cilantro, Order the Beef Tenderloin medium rare. Amazing!

szw
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
10 to 16 minutes total time for a steak on searing heat? Wow.

:werd: that sounds horrible. Mine are done in about 2 minutes!

Neons4life
02-15-2008, 12:44 AM
some great tips...thanks!
I am not much of a red meat fan, I prefer chicken

This is getting me psyched to make some steaks this weekend now

next question for everyone is what do you have as sides with your steak?

eur0
02-15-2008, 12:57 AM
A salad, starch and some veggies!

My favorite is probably just a ceaser salad and garlic mashed potato's (or a baked). Corn on the cob is a nice addition too.

blinkme_210
02-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Super high heat and sear every side of the steak. Then turn down to medium low heat, and cook 3 mins per side to get it perfect medium rare.

jswankster
02-15-2008, 01:40 AM
lmao.. everything sounded so good.. i just finished eating a plater of almost every different way to make a steak... soo full... beer time..

:D

ianmcc
02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Select a nice rib-eye or boneless rib steak. The more marbling the juicier the steak (although don't confuse marbling for gristle or the fat along the edge like a strip loin). It has to be marbled throughout. Allow steak to warm on the counter for 30 minutes. Baste both sides with unsalted melted butter not margarine; it will thicken with the slightly cool steak. Season with crushed peppercorns but no salt as the salt draws out the moisture in the steak while cooking. If using an open flame or coals on medium-high heat (have a spray bottle handy to prevent flaring up) cook for 2 minutes (or longer depending on thickness and desired doneness), then turn ab. 30 degrees to mark the steak. Cook for another 2-4 minutes, then turn and cook the other side until done to taste.
Use your tongs to press down on the steak to test-never pierce or cut as you will lose a lot of moisture. The softer the steak the more rare it will be. NEVER cook a steak more than meduim (pink in the middle-more than just a touch) as you will ruin it by making it too tough. Anyone who wants a well-done steak should be having the chicken instead.
If using a flat-iron or pan to cook steak DO NOT move the steak around once it's in the pan. Set it in, then cook for the desired time then flip over.
And finally, season with salt or your favorite seasoning after you remove it from the heat, then let it rest for 5 minutes after removing it from the heat. Do not cover it (like you would "tent" a roast) as it will continue to cook if you seal in the heat.
Enjoy!

JRSC00LUDE
02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I got this method from a friend and everyone I cook for says it's the best damn steak they ever had!

I like to get nice well-marbled boneless rib steaks (as mentioned above) from costco as they always seem to have nice meat. I used to not salt until after cooking but I've found from this method that if I do it right before grilling, I still have an incredibly juicy/tender steak.

First, I give the ROOM TEMP. steak a generous splashing of tobasco and then sprinkle on a salt/seasoning mixture that said friend showed me.

My grill is pre-heated to 650-700 degrees and then I cook each side with an open top for 2 minutes/side. I then lower the heat to low-medium and close the lid for an additional 2 minutes/side.

These times are based on the 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch thick cuts! You get a nice medium rare to rare result.

KRyn
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I love the taste of a good piece of steak. I usually buy an entire strip from Costco and then cut my own steaks and wrap them and freeze them my self. Get anywhere from 8-16 steaks depending on the size and how I cut them.

I just throw my steaks on the BBQ until they cooked. For me cooked is raw. Then right before I serve them lightly salt and pepper them with Lawry's.

analbumcover
02-15-2008, 04:31 PM
anyone have advice for cooking in the oven :( i dont have a bbq

(i have a george foreplay though:banghead:)

legendboy
02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover

don't use the oven, use a cast iron pan (preferably with ribs)

Get it smoking hot, season steak with a bit extra salt on both sides.

I do that when its cold outside, they turn out pretty good.

Kritafo
02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
man I am firing up the BBQ the minute my husband walks through the door. All the talk of steak made me run out to costco today for a nice set of steaks. Plus they had the seafood there today.

Tonight will be steak, asparagus, corn on the cob, seasoned grilled potatoes, sauteed mushrooms..ohhh I can't wait.

frozenrice
02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
This is the best way to enjoy a good steak.....

http://www.steakandbjday.com/

copynpaste
02-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I like my steak super rare, about 30 secs a side.

I marinate mine in

Tons of garlic
Soy sauce
Bulls Eye BBQ sauce
Olive oil
Sea salt
Black Pepper
Brown sugar
Bit of cajun
Time
Mint
Tree Bark

tom_9109
02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I got this method from a friend and everyone I cook for says it's the best damn steak they ever had!

I like to get nice well-marbled boneless rib steaks (as mentioned above) from costco as they always seem to have nice meat. I used to not salt until after cooking but I've found from this method that if I do it right before grilling, I still have an incredibly juicy/tender steak.

First, I give the ROOM TEMP. steak a generous splashing of tobasco and then sprinkle on a salt/seasoning mixture that said friend showed me.

My grill is pre-heated to 650-700 degrees and then I cook each side with an open top for 2 minutes/side. I then lower the heat to low-medium and close the lid for an additional 2 minutes/side.

These times are based on the 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch thick cuts! You get a nice medium rare to rare result.

girls can't cook steaks, you know that.

Kritafo
02-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I disagree, since I am a girl. hah! My husband doesn't know anything about BBQ'ing. I grew up with my parents BBQ'ing everything almost every meal. We were the weirdo's in the neighborhood with multiple kinds of BBQ's and did it all year round.

I made killer steak last night. It will be a fight for how many cheese steaks we can make today.

Amysicle
02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover

It's not the best way to do it, but it helps when it's -30° and you can't find your cast iron pan.

Move one of the over racks to the very top, or second from the top row. (You'll want about 3-4 inches between the element and your steak.)
Prepare your steaks like you would for a grill, letting your steaks come to room temperature. Pre-heat your oven at the hottest temp you have on BROIL (where the heat comes from the top element and the bottom one is cold) and let it pre-heat for an extra 5 minutes after the light as turned off.
Cook your steak in a broiler pan or rack with a cookie sheet for about 4 minutes per side with the door slightly ajar, or however long it takes to get it to the desired doneness. This will vary depending on the thickness of the cut and how hot your oven gets. Keep an eye on it because it over cooks pretty easy. Let it rest for a few minutes before eating.

It's really hard to explain, but try it on a couple of cheap cuts first until you get pretty good at judging when it's time to flip the steak.

tom_9109
02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle

It's not the best way to do it, but it helps when it's -30° and you can't find your cast iron pan.

Move one of the over racks to the very top, or second from the top row. (You'll want about 3-4 inches between the element and your steak.)
Prepare your steaks like you would for a grill, letting your steaks come to room temperature. Pre-heat your oven at the hottest temp you have on BROIL (where the heat comes from the top element and the bottom one is cold) and let it pre-heat for an extra 5 minutes after the light as turned off.
Cook your steak in a broiler pan or rack with a cookie sheet for about 4 minutes per side with the door slightly ajar, or however long it takes to get it to the desired doneness. This will vary depending on the thickness of the cut and how hot your oven gets. Keep an eye on it because it over cooks pretty easy. Let it rest for a few minutes before eating.

It's really hard to explain, but try it on a couple of cheap cuts first until you get pretty good at judging when it's time to flip the steak.

Its like an upside down BBQ. I gotta try this.

broken_legs
02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Do you people with an open grill or do you close the lid?

Do you trim the fat of the cut of meat to avoid grease fires and the associated charcoaling of your steak?

How many people do the 90 degree turn to get the diamond pattern?

GQBalla
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
close the lid

Amysicle
02-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Do you people with an open grill or do you close the lid?

Do you trim the fat of the cut of meat to avoid grease fires and the associated charcoaling of your steak?

How many people do the 90 degree turn to get the diamond pattern?
Open if it's warm, closed if it's cold.
No, I love the fat! I usually go for rib eye which I find doesn't have too much fat on the outside so it's a non-issue.
I do the diamond pattern usually, unless I'm feeling really lazy.
I like my steak rare. How do you like yours?

Mixalot27
02-18-2008, 07:51 AM
I buy whole tenderloins from Costco and cut my own steaks. It usually costs around $70 and I get around 10 steaks and some leftover stirfry out of it.

I like to keep it simple, a good cut of meat doesn't need much. I leave it out to warm to room temperature. Rub it with some garlic and pepper. BBQ on high for 3-4 mins a side for medium rare. Let sit at least 5 mins before serving.

JRSC00LUDE
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

Its like an upside down BBQ. I gotta try this.

What for, I thought you said girls can't cook steaks? :D

dino_martini
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
How the heck do you age a steak? Just let it sit in the fridge for a few days?

sabad66
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Question for you connoseiurs (however the hell you spell it). I buy AAA rib eyes from co-op and they have this string wrapped around it. Do you take it off before or after cooking?

climer
03-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Here's a video I used for a wicked peppercorn steak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0yCaj2vN0

Street_Soldier
03-17-2008, 07:18 PM
i just do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A2YrcjB888

anonymous_j
03-18-2008, 07:35 PM
i like my way better:

get your steak (whatever cut, ribeye preferred) and make sure it's tender and room temperature. now, absolutely smother both sides in ground black pepper with dabs of salt too. now mash up some garlic and a small bit of rosemary and put both on only 1 side of the steak.

in a pan, pour extra virgin oil and get it HOT. really hot. dont forget to be generous with the oil.

now, when you place the steak into the pan it should be sizzling. if it's not, take the steak out and wait until it's hot. as soon as the steak is in, take a spoonful of butter and throw it into the pan, but not onto the steak. as the butter melts, take a spoon and scoop the melted butter over the steak. do this to the other side too. (remember to only flip the steak once)

once you're done, take the steak out and place it on a plate and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

and there you have it, the perfect steak in less than 10minutes!

Maddog55
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Porterhouse. Probably the best cut there is. If you like the fat, it has that. It has the T-bone and has a large cut of the tenderloin (Filet Mignon).

Always, ALWAYS, go to the butchers window for your cuts. (Even if the very same cut is out on the shelf...those are only AA) The butcher always cuts you AAA.

get a good 1" or 1 1/2" Porterhouse. Only one way to cook it and thats on the BBQ at HIGH heat. You can marinate if you like, but the best is a little olive oil and a few spices (coarse black pepper, little salt and or Montreal steak spice)

Cook until rare (I like mine blue). If you don't like any pink...go buy blade steak...a good cut is wasted if its done well.

Here's a porterhouse dinner from summer:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_2845.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_2859.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_2870.jpg[/quote]

JRSC00LUDE
03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
^

Porterhouse is a great steak, no doubt! I still go for the boneless rib or rib 90% of the time though.

89coupe
03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Filet all the way. LOL, next time I fire up the barby I will take a pic.

Amateurs. :rofl:

Kritafo
03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
what temp are you guys grilling? Man I made wicked steak Sunday evening little to no seasonings. BBQ'd the asparagus and potatoes....nothing better than the whole meal on the BBQ

Kritafo
03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
what temp are you guys grilling? Man I made wicked steak Sunday evening little to no seasonings. BBQ'd the asparagus and potatoes....nothing better than the whole meal on the BBQ

Kritafo
03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
isn't the porterhouse an American cut. You have to go to the butcher to get that cut?

JRSC00LUDE
03-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Filet all the way. LOL, next time I fire up the barby I will take a pic.

Amateurs. :rofl:

Filet is great, but I'd say if that's the only steak you can make perfect, fork tender and juicy then you're the amateur! ;)

sabad66
03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Porterhouse is just a T-Bone with a bigger portion of tenderloin than usual

ekguy
03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
For some people who are color blind like myself I feel like I am always undercooking the meat. Meaning I don't know how pink or red, or cooked it looks.

But you are only supposed to cook it like what 3 to 4 mins a side for a mid rare...What about medium???

JRSC00LUDE
03-19-2008, 04:01 PM
^

Learn to go by touch, feel for firmness and you will get to know how it's cooked.

EDIT:

When you are getting close to having a done steak press it with your index finger or the flat side of a grilling fork to get a feel for it. A rare steak will be soft. A medium steak will be firm but yielding. A well steak will be firm. Once you get the feel for it, you should be able to cook pretty consistently.

ekguy
03-19-2008, 04:20 PM
thanks for the tip jrsc00lude. yeah it pisses me off because I always over cook chicken and steak. And beef for that matter. I know chicken if it's pink it not cooked but I can't see between the light pink and the white of cooked chicken.

Now at least I can try to cook steak decently. Guess I'll pick up a couple steaks tomorrow and fire up the weber hehe.

Now would someone cook deer steaks to the same standard??? As far as feel goes. Because we have a bunch of deer and moose steaks here as well.

ekguy
03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
maddog are those filet mignon and as well have you ever tried to cook asparagus on the grill??? I'm pretty sure I've seen someone do it.

Maddog55
03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
maddog are those filet mignon and as well have you ever tried to cook asparagus on the grill??? I'm pretty sure I've seen someone do it.

See sabad66's post above....Those are Porterhouse...which is Filet Mignon (New York, Filet, Tenderloin..all the same thing) except its still attached to the Tbone. So you get both Filet AND the Tbone.

Any meat place will have porterhouse out..sometimes it's all gone so you have to ask for it. But I ALWAYS get the butcher to cut my steak for me. unless he has one sitting there under the glass. Never buy the packaged meat as that's only AA cut.

Here's a tip for "doneness": on one hand, take your thumb and touch your pinky...feel how firm the muscle at the base of your thumb is with your other hand....then touch the third finger..then middle..then forefinger. The muscle will be a little softer with each finger.

pinky=well done
third finger= medium well
middle finger=medium rare
forefinger= rare.

BlueGoblin
03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
A filet may be the most tender, but you cannot beat a ribeye for flavour, imho. A porter or T can come close though.

I normally follow a similar pattern to others here; hot grill, cook fast and keep it rare.

That being said though, this here is perhaps the most hardcore, unbelieveably good steak you can make inside the house. You had best have a gas range with a hearty BTU count and most of all have at least a 1200 to 1600 cfm hoodfan before embarking on this meaty journey:

http://degenerate.shackspace.com/Shack/steak.pdf

Incidentally - This is not my recipe and I did not do up this pdf - I found it online and tried it.

Street_Soldier
03-24-2008, 02:36 AM
When you grill steaks do you shut the cover or not?

What temperature do you cook at?

How long do you let the steak rest before you eat it?

DonnieM
03-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Oh man this thread is making my mouth water!

This is what I do:

Buy a couple thick and juicy freshly cut Ribeyes from your local butcher(I go to BonTon meats up in the NW) and marinate in:

Red wine, Olive Oil, Fresh Garlic, Fresh Thyme, Dijon, Peppercorns and a bit of Bullseye BBQ sauce for a few hours.

Then through them on the barbecue and cook for 4 minutes on each side....cover loosely after and let rest for a few minutes before serving so it sucks in all the juice!

Bon Appetit!

Wow, it is almost BBQing season already eh?

Unknown303
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
When does BBQ season end?:dunno: I had a fair number of really cold days on my deck this winter cooking up steaks.

Kritafo
04-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Season ends? my season hasn't ended in 6 years...(that is how long we have been in this house) I BBQ all year round.

Maddog55
04-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah I'm lucky enough to have about 300 sq ft of my patio under cover. The only difference between summer and winter is I use the BBQ to make breakfast as well in the summer.

Will@STRD
04-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I am too lazy to set up and clean the BBQ and I usually go home late so I pan fry my steak with the least amount of work haha. I usually get the Rib Eye from Sunterra if not the Co-op I go to has good quality meat too. Let it sit till room temp, put some fresh ground pepper, gralic salt and fine herbs on both side. Start the stove (i had gas stove) on high. Cook both side for a few mins (if u want it more cook then turn the heat lower and cook for longer but I eat my super rare haha) turn the heat back to high, pour a cap full of Brandy and when the pan is full of flame turn it off. Ready to serve with fresh pepper & red wine (u can also use HP). The main thing is the meat has to be good quality if not it will not taste good

damn I am hungry now!!

89coupe
05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Filet for 5, enjoy!

The last picture is a Medium steak, for the GF.

5 Filet Minot thawed to room temperature. Barbecue heated to high temp on the right side and the left to medium to low. First minute on each side on the hot side to sear in the juices then moved to the med to low side to finish cooking.

Finished with steamed veg, sauteed mushrooms, and mash potatoes.

http://www.designsanew.com/steakdinner/IMG_3102.jpg
http://www.designsanew.com/steakdinner/IMG_3104.jpg
http://www.designsanew.com/steakdinner/IMG_3105.jpg
http://www.designsanew.com/steakdinner/IMG_3106.jpg
http://www.designsanew.com/steakdinner/IMG_3107.jpg
http://www.designsanew.com/steakdinner/IMG_3109.jpg
http://www.designsanew.com/steakdinner/IMG_3110.jpg

Amysicle
05-18-2008, 09:36 PM
89coupe, the food looks pretty good.

But I really wanted to comment on your grill. We have the exact same make/model, but I forgot how many BTUs it is. If you know, that would save me a call to SearsHome.

89coupe
05-18-2008, 09:44 PM
89coupe, the food looks pretty good.

But I really wanted to comment on your grill. We have the exact same make/model, but I forgot how many BTUs it is. If you know, that would save me a call to SearsHome.

72000btu

Amysicle
05-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks!

How do you like it so far? Are filet mignons your favorite thing to cook on it? Have you tried using wood chips on it to smoke?

89coupe
05-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks!

How do you like it so far? Are filet mignons your favorite thing to cook on it? Have you tried using wood chips on it to smoke?

Its alright.

Steaks, corn, potatoes, fish, anything you can BBQ.

No, no smoking.

GTS Jeff
05-19-2008, 12:28 AM
WTF is with you people serving filet mignon with frozen veggies and instant mash? Here's a nicer way to dress up tenderloin:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30712034&l=1f1d3&id=120400464

Or if you're into more flavourful steaks, here's what I did last time with ribeye:

-ribeye
-fresh rosemary
-fresh thyme
-crushed garlic cloves
-baste with butter
-bed of fresh veggies, I used some bell peppers and mushrooms in the pic because it's all I had at home at the time, but you can use whatever you want, the important thing is that it's fresh...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33350193&l=25514&id=120400464

Bimmer88
05-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Damn Jeff... that's looking yummy!

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
WTF is with you people serving filet mignon with frozen veggies and instant mash? Here's a nicer way to dress up tenderloin:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30712034&l=1f1d3&id=120400464

Or if you're into more flavourful steaks, here's what I did last time with ribeye:

-ribeye
-fresh rosemary
-fresh thyme
-crushed garlic cloves
-baste with butter
-bed of fresh veggies, I used some bell peppers and mushrooms in the pic because it's all I had at home at the time, but you can use whatever you want, the important thing is that it's fresh...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33350193&l=25514&id=120400464

This doesnt seem right, your food/presentation is more baller than 89coupes....WTF????:nut:

89coupe
05-19-2008, 07:50 AM

Yeh the veg was frozen, but the potatoes & mushrooms were definitely not.

There is no way on Earth I would ever put anything on top of my steak though, barbecue sauce, cream sauce, thats just wrong.

Seasoning and olive oil just before cooking and thats it.

As for having Filet, that and New Yorks is all I buy from the Cattle Farm I purchase my steaks from.

Even when the GF makes stew she just cuts up 5-8 Filets or New Yorks for the stew meat.

He charges the same amount for any cut so it doesn't matter really. My filets probably cost less then any cut you could buy at COOP or Costco or where ever you guys buy your beef.

I only pay $4.25/lb

Originally posted by dj_rice

This doesnt seem right, your food/presentation is more baller than 89coupes....WTF????:nut:

Dude, I'm at home with some friends and the GF, does it really matter how pretty the presentation is?

Cold beer and good food, thats all they care about...LOL

Mixalot27
05-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Whats the best way to oil/lubricate (sorry I don't know what to call it, lol) your BBQ grill so your food doesn't stick to it? Also I've found that my BBQ grill has started chipping in a few places from scrapping the leftover/stuck on food off it after cooking. How can I avoid this chipping but still get the charred, stuck food off? This is basically my BBQ if it helps, hooked up to natural gas.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=932867&Ntt=932867&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

89coupe
05-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
Whats the best way to oil/lubricate (sorry I don't know what to call it, lol) your BBQ grill so your food doesn't stick to it? Also I've found that my BBQ grill has started chipping in a few places from scrapping the leftover/stuck on food off it after cooking. How can I avoid this chipping but still get the charred, stuck food off? This is basically my BBQ if it helps, hooked up to natural gas.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=932867&Ntt=932867&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Always spray your BBQ with some cooking spray before & after you cook. But really, if you are cooking correctly, nothing should stick to your grills unless you are trying to move something to soon. If its sticking then its not ready to be moved yet.

Mixalot27
05-19-2008, 08:35 AM
^^Yeah I hear you. Most often its not Steak that sticks, but Chicken. And I think its cause its usually frozen chicken and I don't always defrost it enough before cooking. Also I'm not a professional Chef or anything and probably don't always turn at the exact right moment. My BBQ seems like it burns really, hot too. I'm kinda new to the whole Natural Gas thing too though, always had propane before this one. I do always spray or brush the grill with some oil before cooking. Still no matter what I do it seems sometimes the shit just wants to stick a little.

pinoyhero
05-19-2008, 08:37 AM
My 2 cents ...

For all steaks - take out of the fridge early, cook between refridge and room temp

Flip marinade - soy suace and sprite yo - 12 hours FTW

GTS Jeff
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM

Yeh the veg was frozen, but the potatoes & mushrooms were definitely not.

There is no way on Earth I would ever put anything on top of my steak though, barbecue sauce, cream sauce, thats just wrong.

Seasoning and olive oil just before cooking and thats it.

As for having Filet, that and New Yorks is all I buy from the Cattle Farm I purchase my steaks from.

Even when the GF makes stew she just cuts up 5-8 Filets or New Yorks for the stew meat.

He charges the same amount for any cut so it doesn't matter really. My filets probably cost less then any cut you could buy at COOP or Costco or where ever you guys buy your beef.

I only pay $4.25/lb

Dude, I'm at home with some friends and the GF, does it really matter how pretty the presentation is?

Cold beer and good food, thats all they care about...LOL LOL more n00b talk. First off, it is always a travesty to serve high quality meat next to frozen veggies.

Second, Tenderloin is the wrong type of meat for stew. Stewing will drain a lot of the fat out of meat, so it leaves the already poorly marbled tenderloin completely dry and tasteless, albeit soft. Stewing (basically the complete opposite of grilling) makes any cut of meat soft, so it's better to use beef chuck, which is normally tough because it has more connective tissue, but that same connective tissue makes it more flavourful. The trick is to slow cook it so the connective tissue melts into a softer and more flavourful meat.

I'm a big fan of eating steak without sauce too, but we're talking about filet mignon here, the most flavourless of all steaks. Filet mignon is known for it's soft texture, not its flavour, so it's appropriate to use a more powerful sauce with it. Or another common thing for people to do is wrap bacon around it too. If you want to enjoy a steak without extras, you should be using more flavourful cuts to begin with, such as ribeye.

At this point, you probably think I'm full of shit, which is fine. You can go on thinking that, or you can take my word for it, maybe even do a bit of research, and stop wasting your money on tenderloin. BTW stop calling it filet mignon. Filet mignon is the steak that's on your plate - as a cut of meat, it's simply tenderloin.

GTS Jeff
05-19-2008, 10:56 AM

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=932867&Ntt=932867&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber Don't bother with greasing it up. You need to CLEAN the grill with a wire brush and you need to make sure that you're cooking at the right temperature for the food. And as 89coupe said, just wait to flip if it's sticking.

JRSC00LUDE
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Don't bother with greasing it up. You need to CLEAN the grill with a wire brush and you need to make sure that you're cooking at the right temperature for the food. And as 89coupe said, just wait to flip if it's sticking.

Don't listent to this douchebag! (except for the post above the quoted one, that ones good!) A wire brush is the devil if you have porcelin coated grills because it will fuck that shit up.

Also, if they are cast iron, they are supposed to be oiled occasionally with any cooking oil (Vegetable, Olive, Peanut, Canola, Sunflower) and properly seasoned the same way you would a cast iron fry pan.

Bimmer88
05-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

Question for ya, how do I make it so that the steaks don't stick to the grill?

I've tried to oil the grill, and slightly oil the steaks but it still seems to be sticking?

However! my friends BBQ has this grill that's wicked! It's like always greased or something like naturally and it doesn't stick at all! Sorry don't know much about BBQ's but... just steak and how to cook it lol.

GTS Jeff
05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Don't listent to this douchebag! (except for the post above the quoted one, that ones good!) A wire brush is the devil if you have porcelin coated grills because it will fuck that shit up.

Also, if they are cast iron, they are supposed to be oiled occasionally with any cooking oil (Vegetable, Olive, Peanut, Canola, Sunflower) and properly seasoned the same way you would a cast iron fry pan. :rofl: Yeah I guess the only BBQ I know about is my tabletop one that runs off campstove propane.

JRSC00LUDE
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
^

I learned a lot about BBQ'ing as a youth since I had to fend for myself while my mom was out testing mattresses.

89coupe
05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
LOL more n00b talk. First off, it is always a travesty to serve high quality meat next to frozen veggies.

Second, Tenderloin is the wrong type of meat for stew. Stewing will drain a lot of the fat out of meat, so it leaves the already poorly marbled tenderloin completely dry and tasteless, albeit soft. Stewing (basically the complete opposite of grilling) makes any cut of meat soft, so it's better to use beef chuck, which is normally tough because it has more connective tissue, but that same connective tissue makes it more flavourful. The trick is to slow cook it so the connective tissue melts into a softer and more flavourful meat.

I'm a big fan of eating steak without sauce too, but we're talking about filet mignon here, the most flavourless of all steaks. Filet mignon is known for it's soft texture, not its flavour, so it's appropriate to use a more powerful sauce with it. Or another common thing for people to do is wrap bacon around it too. If you want to enjoy a steak without extras, you should be using more flavourful cuts to begin with, such as ribeye.

At this point, you probably think I'm full of shit, which is fine. You can go on thinking that, or you can take my word for it, maybe even do a bit of research, and stop wasting your money on tenderloin. BTW stop calling it filet mignon. Filet mignon is the steak that's on your plate - as a cut of meat, it's simply tenderloin.

Hey GTS Jeff,

thanks for the lesson in Culinary. I will be sure to PM you whenever I need a lesson in cooking.:rofl:

I will call it Filet because that is the name of the steak I'm cooking, but thanks for the lesson in tenderloin. I will be sure to pass this on to the Cattle Rancher who labels them Filet. I will tell him GTS Jeff said he shouldn't be doing that.

As for no flavor in my steaks:rofl: No comment.

Oh, and I will tell my GF to never use frozen veggies and to only use fresh, I'm sure I will get a warm response from her.

As for the stew, she doesn't cook the chopped up Filet cuts with the stew, she cooks them separate and adds them at the end. Each piece is absolutely delicious, best stew I have ever had. But I will tell her that GTS Jeff told her she doesn't know jack and she should do it his way. Again I'm sure I will get a warm response.

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 12:42 PM
LOL @ how this thread is turning out...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JRSC00LUDE
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM

It just depends, it can be called filet mignon depending on the cut but often that term does refers to a steak made with tenderloin and not the actual cut itself. While the actual difference in cuts that distinguish between a filet and a tenderloin steak are relatively petty at best (cut from the end nearest the loin), it is a fact. I guess you're both right!

It is also common knowledge that, while incredibly tender when cooked properly, tenderloin has a significantly milder flavor than numerous other cuts of beef. If you are going for unadulterated beef flavor, it is NOT the cut of choice. It is best when accompanied with additional seasoning/sauces to enhance it.

If you don't believe me, ask any even half-assed chef or butcher and they'll back up both statements. :)

EDIT: That stew sounds amazing though, I love good stew!

Originally posted by dj_rice
LOL @ how this thread is turning out...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Beef is serious business and should be treated accordingly! :thumbsup:

kerry
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Fuck, you guys make me embarassed to call myself a beyonder.

ALL OF YOU forgot the most important part of cooking ANYTHING. It doesn't matter what spices you put in something, how you make your marinade, what cuts of beef. It doesn't even matter if you cook on a pan, or a grill, or in the oven.

All that should matter to all of you is this. You need these tools to properly prepare any meal.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000FZ4PO2.01-AZH7MQYKL0VAH._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46073815_.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000I62TMS.01-ALVYE3T5WL0WT._SCLZZZZZZZ_V59000153_.jpg

Fucking amateurs ;)

GTS Jeff did have some good things to say though. Really IMO, the best way to prepare a steak will be according to your own palate/tastes. Sure there may be ways to do something "properly" by the "book" but we don't all taste food the same and you may or may not like how others cook their food. Try different things out for yourself and don't always follow the so called proper way of doing things, especially when related to food.

Some people love McDonald's while others only eat at Belgo. Catch my drift? Hehehe I said drift on a car forum.

lexIS300
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by kerry

we don't all taste food the same and you may or may not like how others cook their food. Try different things out for yourself and don't always follow the so called proper way of doing things, especially when related to food.

Amen to that brother :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
05-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Hey GTS Jeff,

thanks for the lesson in Culinary. I will be sure to PM you whenever I need a lesson in cooking.:rofl:

I will call it Filet because that is the name of the steak I'm cooking, but thanks for the lesson in tenderloin. I will be sure to pass this on to the Cattle Rancher who labels them Filet. I will tell him GTS Jeff said he shouldn't be doing that.

As for no flavor in my steaks:rofl: No comment.

Oh, and I will tell my GF to never use frozen veggies and to only use fresh, I'm sure I will get a warm response from her.

As for the stew, she doesn't cook the chopped up Filet cuts with the stew, she cooks them separate and adds them at the end. Each piece is absolutely delicious, best stew I have ever had. But I will tell her that GTS Jeff told her she doesn't know jack and she should do it his way. Again I'm sure I will get a warm response. Wow, you're getting defensive pretty quick eh? Guess what buddy, it's not a beef stew if the beef isn't STEWED.

But really, do you seriously think I came up with all this myself just to humiliate you? Quit being such a self-centered, cocky bastard for a few minutes and you'll see that I'm giving you solid advice. Just because tenderloin is the most expensive cut doesn't mean it's good for everything.

As for the frozen veggies...well again, no need to get defensive about it. Vegetables are crisp and retain their texture due to rigid plant cell walls. When you freeze them, the water inside the cells expands and breaks the cell walls, leaving the veggies mushy and mealy. So it's worth the few extra minutes of chopping to enjoy fresh vegetables.

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
05-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Amysicle
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
^^Yeah I hear you. Most often its not Steak that sticks, but Chicken. And I think its cause its usually frozen chicken and I don't always defrost it enough before cooking. Also I'm not a professional Chef or anything and probably don't always turn at the exact right moment. My BBQ seems like it burns really, hot too. I'm kinda new to the whole Natural Gas thing too though, always had propane before this one. I do always spray or brush the grill with some oil before cooking. Still no matter what I do it seems sometimes the shit just wants to stick a little.

Have you tried leaving your grill on for a few more minutes after taking your food off to try and burn off any food suck to your grill after cooking?

89coupe
05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Wow, you're getting defensive pretty quick eh? Guess what buddy, it's not a beef stew if the beef isn't STEWED.

But really, do you seriously think I came up with all this myself just to humiliate you? Quit being such a self-centered, cocky bastard for a few minutes and you'll see that I'm giving you solid advice. Just because tenderloin is the most expensive cut doesn't mean it's good for everything.

As for the frozen veggies...well again, no need to get defensive about it. Vegetables are crisp and retain their texture due to rigid plant cell walls. When you freeze them, the water inside the cells expands and breaks the cell walls, leaving the veggies mushy and mealy. So it's worth the few extra minutes of chopping to enjoy fresh vegetables.

Defensive...LOL...um no. I was just making fun of your silly comments.

I could care less about your input on what I should and shouldn't eat with my steaks...LOL.

But if you want to continue on feel free. I'm sure you enjoy coming up with your little posts.:rofl:

cdulm
05-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Bon Ton Meat Market (across from the foothills hospital); baseball cut, rolled in cajun spice and grilled to Medium Rare. Mmmmm great blackened steak!