PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of car auctions?

wiggaplz
02-14-2008, 04:27 PM
are most of the cars safe to drive or are most of them just fucked up. I'm thinking of going to get a car cheap but can anyone give me some information before I go..

thanks

iamkorean
02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
there is a thread in general car talk section about car auction right from the auctioneer, check it out i learnd alot!

G-ZUS
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz
are most of the cars safe to drive or are most of them just fucked up. I'm thinking of going to get a car cheap but can anyone give me some information before I go..

thanks

Depends what you're looking for. I bought a car from Michener Allen and the odo was rolled back, I went through hell trying to get my $$$ back. Another forum member on here, I believe it was Toma, ran VIN #'s on a couple cars @ graham auctions and a bunch came back with rolled back odo's

Thaco
02-14-2008, 04:56 PM
i think car auctions are a lot like a search feature on a forum, they're always available, and they work well, but people often misuse or completely neglect them.

strong
02-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
i think car auctions are a lot like a search feature on a forum, they're always available, and they work well, but people often misuse or completely neglect them.

+1

Tilly
02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I bought a 1987 g3500 chevrolet van from regal auctions. the thing is more reliable than anything i've ever owned. it's all luck i guess, although a bit of research never hurts. maybe check out regal, as they let you look over the car, and possibly test drive it.

Thaco
02-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Tilly
and possibly test drive it. negative

G-ZUS
02-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
negative

:werd: Regal used to let you drive it around their lot but not anymore, last time I went to Graham they let did allow test drives around the lot

topmade
02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Very informative thread here.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192440/car-auctions-ask-the-auctioneer/

dr_jared88
02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
From my experience older cars are typically better then the newer cars found at auctions and this is my theory as to why. Let's face it; you can almost always get more for a car selling private then at an auction but selling at an auction is both quick and easy. So say you sell the car for about 25% less on an auction sale. On a car you could sell for $2000 private; you'll get $1500 at an auction. Lots of people will look at that and say its only $500 and the ease of the auction is worth that. Now on a $20,000 vehicle the difference is $5000 which is a lot more money. More people are going to rather go through the hassle of selling private verses loosing the $5000 UNLESS they are trying to hide something seriously wrong with the car.

But again there are always exceptions. It's kind of a gambling game. Take your chances and you might get lucky; but you might get screwed.

canuckcarguy
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
If you're going to buy at an auction, go in with your eyes wide open. You might score a deal, which is why everybody is there, but the odds are also pretty decent that you'll get stuck with a lemon.

When dealers buy at an auction, they know that if they buy plenty of cars, they'll get some great deals, and some terrible deals. The terrible deals end up back at an auction. They can afford to take the chances, for two reasons: first, they're relying on the fact that the good deals will make up for the bad ones. Second, they're professional buyers, and as such are more likely than Joe Public to spot and avoid the bad cars.

If you're determined, then I would say bring an experienced friend with you. If you can't afford to take a loss on the vehicle in the event that things don't work out, I'd avoid the auction route, and spend time trying to score a deal in the classifieds.

good luck!

Moe Man
02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
go to adesa.......cheap cars, no issues and if there is they will let you know about them.

but of course you need a lic. And thats not easy to get because it is a dealer auction only.:thumbsup: