PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Atom to be produced in US

iceburns288
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
And no... it's not just an assembly line for the separate chassis+engine combinations. It is a full-fledged production for the Atom 2, and just 3 hours from my home! :D This is supposed to dramatically reduce the cost of the cars in North America. I have no idea if it will affect y'all's ability to pick them up, though. Expected MSRP is now... get this... ~35kUS:eek:

riel Atom North American Headquarters to locate at VIRginia International Raceway
DANVILLE, VA. - TMI AutoTech, Inc., the new, exclusive manufacturers of the "Ariel Atom 3" supercar for North America, announced that its operations will be headquartered at VIRginia International Raceway's Raceplex industrial park.

"We are thrilled that the Ariel Atom 3 is going to be built here at VIR," said track General Manager Josh Lief. "The car is one of the most exciting cars available to the public. Its performance level makes it a great match for VIR's challenge." Lief continued, commenting that: "the Ariel Atom Experience is one of the most thrilling track days anyone has staged at VIR. We anticipate a long and happy relationship with them."

Selected from among other locations across the U.S. and Canada, the VIR location will be used for () the Ariel Atom Experience, a way for customers to discover the thrill of driving an Ariel Atom on the track.
Clients experience the cars and track after classroom instruction from professional race drivers and are guided through the steps of learning how to drive the cars quickly and safely on VIR's scenic course. At a curb weight of only 1,400 pounds and with as much as 300 horsepower coming from their supercharged GM Ecotec or new Honda two-liter engines, the cars, even in basic spec, are capable of accelerating from zero to 60 mph in under three seconds.

If watching races on TV and talking about it around the water cooler just doesn't fill your need for speed any longer, the Ariel Atom Experience is just the ticket. Designed as a safe and thrilling day for novices and seasoned high-performance drivers alike, the Experience includes:
A fleet of new track-equipped Ariel Atoms One-on-one professional instruction Extensive track time driving the Atom Use of custom driving equipment Gourmet food & refreshments Comfortable "pro racing" trackside hospitality facilities Professional event photography In-car video and more.

TMI AutoTech plans to occupy an existing building at Raceplex with plans to invest $1.5 million in machinery and building modifications. The company will employ 75% of their staff locally. VIR will serve as a host location for future gatherings of Ariel Atom owners and prospective owners. TMI Autotech, Inc. will also be doing business with various support businesses in the region. "We will need metal stamping, bending, forming and fabrication services along with sub-assembly and other services to support our business", explained Dave Goadby, President & CEO of TMI AutoTech, Inc.

VIRginia International Raceway is a multi-purpose road racing facility, located on the Dan River between Danville and South Boston, Virginia. Reopened in 2000, VIR hosts a wide range of professional and amateur auto and motorcycle racing and track events, and is well established as "America's Motorsport Resort." In addition to its historic 3.27 mile natural-terrain road racing circuit, VIR is the cornerstone of VIR Club, America's first motorsports country club; the VIR Raceplex Industrial Park and Motorsports Technology Park, which includes the Virginia Institute for Performance Engineering and Research ("VIPER"); the Plantation Valley Kart Track, a 5/8 mile paved natural terrain karting circuit; an expanding variety of on-site lodging (including 45 hotel rooms and the trackside Villas which are for sale); Camp Motorsport for enthusiasts of all ages; and the Oak Tree Tavern, a full-service restaurant located within the circa-1840 Plantation Clubhouse.

iceburns288
02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake. The modified version of the Atom 2, to be conformed to US standards, will become the Ariel Atom 3.

Plasma69
02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
i'd buy one in a heart beat with a supa'd K series.... not only would you get killer gas mileage, power and endless fun, but its safer that a motorcycle. its hot... 70k just doesn't do it for me. but 35k... game on.... hmm...

E36M3
02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
At 70k they seemed a bit out of reach.. I think that 35k will make it a lot more palatable. They are a blast to drive, but would be truly excellent with 400/400 hp/tq and some work on the suspension setup.

Looks like the Ariel Atom 3 is a lot more than just a modified version of the second generation.. will be interesting to see what the chassis tweaks yield.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/roadsters/ariel-launches-new-atom-3/

Hash_man
02-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Thats awesome... I would imagine a lot more of those will hit the streets at that type of price. Great value I would think.

Graham_A_M
02-15-2008, 08:36 PM
I was extremely interested in one, until I found out a not-so-well optioned used one would warrent a measily $65k. I UNDERSTAND how well these cars perform, I honestly understand that, but $80-100k for as little "car" as you get blows me away. Where does that money go to? It takes a technician a few days to build one of these... For what you pay for and what you get... That alone sure killed my interest. I'd still like to get one, I'd LOVE to get one actually, but the prices are just astronomical.

/////AMG
02-16-2008, 04:47 AM
$65k? damn!

I think they go for £20k here. Probably the only car I know of which is cheaper here than there. Lets see how much it costs after its built in america.

DonJuan
02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
um SOLD? at I was gonna buy a some sort of phat ride in the next year or 2 (Vette/GTR/Elise). At $35k US that thing is MINE!

Plasma69
02-16-2008, 11:19 AM
i just priced one out at 85k with most options... hurts

Graham_A_M
02-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan
um SOLD? at I was gonna buy a some sort of phat ride in the next year or 2 (Vette/GTR/Elise). At $35k US that thing is MINE!
Where did you hear of this? the only used ones I found I the US are in the mid $50k+++ range.

At 35k, I'd buy one asap... honestly. :dunno:

iceburns288
02-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
but $80-100k for as little "car" as you get blows me away. Where does that money go to? It takes a technician a few days to build one of these... For what you pay for and what you get... That alone sure killed my interest. I'd still like to get one, I'd LOVE to get one actually, but the prices are just astronomical.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Where did you hear of this? the only used ones I found I the US are in the mid $50k+++ range.

At 35k, I'd buy one asap... honestly. :dunno:
He probably actually read the thread ;).

Originally posted by iceburns288
Expected MSRP is now... get this... ~35kUS:eek: