PDA

View Full Version : real estate listings

Subwoofah
02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Are there any centralized real estate databases other than mls.com? I see that realtors list in their own webpage and are finally using online marketplaces to advertise listings… Google maps has a nice real estate feature where you can list a house on your own. Wonder why this feature hasn’t taken off with other realtors? Are they just ignorant of the technology?

barmanjay
02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
MLS is a standard and is the best.

Unifies the whole of canada aswell.

Why fight what works the absolute best?

^^ my opinion

Subwoofah
02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
but mls is 10 years old and hasn't changed at all! sure it unifies canada but thats because they have the real estate board supporting them and thats the problem. realtors rely on the service because they've been using it all this time. im sure mls has a lot of data on housing but if it doesnt move with the times its gonna go down.

Melinda
02-16-2008, 01:29 PM
^^ What exactly needs to change with it? I find it super easy to use and all the info that one might need is there.

barmanjay
02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
what needs to change?

I think it's perfectly fine

i can find exactly what i need and the area i want it in

This is designed for realtors and used by the public so if you wanted more detailed information you need to be licensed and a member of CREB to use MLS to the fullest extent, or hire a realtor

There is info on past history of each house pending the number of times it has been listed on the MLS, including previous sale price vs asking price, time listed on market, etc,etc, etc.

msouther
02-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Eventually hopefully www.househunting.ca will be the best. It is still a work in progress, but there are quite a few resources being dedicated to it.

I think MLS is the most comprehensive as well. It hasn't been updated in like 10 years like stated above, but it is easy to use and that is all that matters. The info is easy to find and easy to read.

barmanjay
02-16-2008, 06:28 PM
that looks good, but it'll probably take a very loong time for it to be used to it's fullest potential.

just in calgary alone there are over 8,000 listings

that shows 20k for all north america,.. but i assume it's new

spyderman
02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Subwoofah
realtors rely on the service because they've been using it all this time. im sure mls has a lot of data on housing but if it doesnt move with the times its gonna go down.

Real estate agents have a tool called MLXchange that is a lot more powerful than what you see on the MLS.ca site.

Kritafo
02-16-2008, 07:39 PM
mlxchange doesn't even work in firefox...I hate Microsoft Exploder..

I do use http://www.calgaryrealestatelink.com/Listings_Site_Map/page_1753847.html

because once you have a free membership to browse...you can search by address which is awesome!

HondaRice
02-23-2008, 09:04 PM
welist.com, only for sale by owner homes
calgaryfinder.com both realtor and for sale by ownerhomes
mls.ca
calgary.craigslist.org