PDA

View Full Version : Ground Effects = illegal?

Masta Dz16
08-02-2002, 01:49 PM
I don't remember where is heard this and i'm hopin its not true, but i heard that ground effect lights are like illegal in calgary, tell me this isn't true:(

Redlyne_mr2
08-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Masta Dz16
I don't remember where is heard this and i'm hopin its not true, but i heard that ground effect lights are like illegal in calgary, tell me this isn't true:(
if it's not true than it should true..underglow is "just plain gay"

in all seriousness though undercarriage neon is illegal if the bulbs are visible...it depends on the officer , the time of day, the weather, the officers wife..etc...

speedracer
08-02-2002, 01:59 PM
IMO, it follows along the lines of changing the vehicals oem clearence.

There's many things that are "illegal". It just depends when you get pulled over.

Technically, stickers and advertisments on vehicals are also illegal as it distracts the person view.....

5.9 R/T
08-02-2002, 02:06 PM
If you want to get right down to it putting anything ricey on your car is illigal. But you wouldn't know it by looking at the cars in calgary.

Ben
08-02-2002, 02:16 PM

boy I sure hope so.:rolleyes:

Aslong as its not illegal on my MTB i'm thrilled!:thumbsup: :burnout:

Masta Dz16
08-02-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
If you want to get right down to it putting anything ricey on your car is illigal. But you wouldn't know it by looking at the cars in calgary.

That is true, now that I think of it I have seen a a few cars with ground effect lights, I was thinking of installing some on my car, but I don't think it would look to good on it anyway.

Redlyne_mr2
08-02-2002, 02:54 PM
not on a car like the 300zx ..that classic lookign sports car wasnt meant to be dressed in shit like neon

Evan
08-02-2002, 03:00 PM
It would look good on a T-Bird. :rofl:

boi-alien
08-02-2002, 03:02 PM
neon underglo = ....... insert snotty remark here....

i hate it... it ruins a perfectly good looking car... and plus your car's a 300ZX those are pretty slick in itself.. get some bigger turbos instead of the stupid lighting

sexualbanana
08-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
Technically, stickers and advertisments on vehicals are also illegal as it distracts the person view.....

advertisements and everything else u see on the road is technically illegal. falls under the category of stunting. so that's right, wiping out on a bike near a major street is considered stunting

max_boost
08-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Almost everything you do to your car is illegal! LOL
Sold for off road purposes only!:rofl:

Masta Dz16
08-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Yeah, theres no way in hell that i'm going to get underglow for my car, it was just a thought, i think instead of wasting my money on underglow, i'm gonna just buy a better intake, and exhaust.. I though stunting was just when you pulled some mad shit on the roads.

DriveOrBeDriven
08-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Yeah, theres no way in hell that i'm going to get underglow for my car, it was just a thought, i think instead of wasting my money on underglow, i'm gonna just buy a better intake, and exhaust.. I though stunting was just when you pulled some mad shit on the roads.

Ya dan dont put underglow on your car, but everyone what is stunting anyway, i thought it was like where u drift on turns or burnout and shit.:dunno: i Dunno.

Evan
08-02-2002, 04:30 PM
You can get a stunting ticket for screeching your tires. I don’t know what else constitutes 'stunting' though.

4wheeldrift
08-02-2002, 05:47 PM
squealing your tires sometimes will net you a ticket, donuts, drifting, and anything else that just isn't normally recommended to be done on a city street will net you a stunting ticket.

James
08-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

advertisements and everything else u see on the road is technically illegal. falls under the category of stunting. so that's right, wiping out on a bike near a major street is considered stunting

I dont think you will ever see a car pulled over for having advertisements on it, what about Courtesy cars, they are loaded with Decals for the Dealership. no problem there.

kenny
08-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Whenever a cop wants to give you a ticket, but can't categorize it under anything else, they'll turn to the infamous "stunting" ticket which seems to include everything from accelerating too fast, screeching tires, splashing people intentionally... etc :p :rofl:

Masta Dz16
08-02-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by James

I dont think you will ever see a car pulled over for having advertisements on it, what about Courtesy cars, they are loaded with Decals for the Dealership. no problem there.

True dat, you never have seen a courtesy car get pulled over bexause of its advertisments.

Audi Kid
08-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Splashing people kenny?!?!? u basterd

Ben
08-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Audi Kid
Splashing people kenny?!?!? u basterd

Oh shush..we've all done it:devil:

three.eighteen.
08-02-2002, 06:54 PM
hehe, driving a minivan with all your friends hanging out of it ready to throw eggs at grade 10 kids is grounds for a stunting ticket lol:confused:

bol
08-02-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Oh shush..we've all done it:devil:

do it to me and they're will be a sizable rock shaped hole in your rear windshield.

i speak from experience :confused:

kevie88
08-02-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by bol

do it to me and they're will be a sizable rock shaped hole in your rear windshield.

You'll never catch me!! :rofl: :rofl:

Ben
08-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by bol

Only sizable? hmmm...I think It would be worth it...:rofl:

4wheeldrift
08-02-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Only sizable? hmmm...I think It would be worth it...:rofl:

Depending on how fast you were going, you might find a sizeable hole in yourself too though.

Strider
08-02-2002, 08:02 PM
apparently fingering a cop is stunting too:rofl:

Masta Dz16
08-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Strider
apparently fingering a cop is stunting too:rofl:

Hahahha, i've done that a few times, cept they never where looking. I remember the warm days where you drove by and hit ppl with water ballons, now doin that is just harsh. But still funny

Ferio_vti
08-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Anything that's plain gay should be illegal.

DriveOrBeDriven
08-03-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Anything that's plain gay should be illegal.

Then why are there so many Super Riced out rides out there?:rofl:

sexualbanana
08-03-2002, 01:44 AM
i think the definition of stunting is anything that takes away from the driver's attention.

and i think throwing eggs at people is grounds for assault. i think

Ferio_vti
08-03-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by DriveOrBeDriven

Then why are there so many Super Riced out rides out there?:rofl:

Hmm, good point. Gay police??

Shoobs
08-04-2002, 08:50 PM
how many times do people ask "are ground effects illegal?" shit you all kno the answear,NO

Evan
08-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Actually they are illegal, Shoobs.

Shoobs
08-05-2002, 03:12 PM
they are?ok nvm

boi-alien
08-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Shoobs
how many times do people ask "are ground effects illegal?" shit you all kno the answear,NO

anything that's not OEM on your car is technically illegal and u can get ticketed for it

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-05-2002, 07:16 PM
underglows are illegal because they are a distraction to other drivers ..... i think :dunno:

Shoobs
08-05-2002, 07:27 PM
they'd be cool to have at racecity at night tho:thumbsup:

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-05-2002, 07:34 PM
Cool as in Gay right ?

sexualbanana
08-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
Cool as in Gay right ?

:rofl: :rofl:

LowRiderHD2000
08-05-2002, 10:25 PM
If underglow kits are done right I think on certain cars they can look pretty cool.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-06-2002, 04:42 AM
yeah i can see them being ok on real hot rods because it was somthing they started
but Black civics with a 6 piece body kit and green neon Underglow is just plain gay . (I think we all know about these)

:hitit: ---With a 2x4

Redlyne_mr2
08-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
Cool as in Gay right ?
hahahaha..goddman..shoobs you need to stop digign that hoel so deep:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GT2NV
08-06-2002, 11:24 PM
figure this out,
blue underglow is illegal
but red and green arent????:dunno:
does anyone know why?

sexualbanana
08-07-2002, 01:04 AM
????

DriveOrBeDriven
08-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000
If underglow kits are done right I think on certain cars they can look pretty cool.

Yo i agree man!:thumbsup:

sexualbanana
08-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000

but th at's like with every other car though.

GT2NV
08-09-2002, 12:24 AM
anyone gonna answere my question? my buddy got pulled over and ticketed and the cop said if he had red or green it would have been fine :dunno: :dunno: WHY????! haha:nut:

Vantage
12-10-2003, 02:16 PM
It seems that the whole tuner scene is illegal. Or at least they want to make it illegal. I will give them a big one finger up as I shift gears, for effort (you can guess which finger).

Here is the somewhat incomplete list:
Underglow (illegal to have on)
Hydraulics or Air Ride (illegal to be able to operate while vehicle is on)
Window tints (not allowed to have front windows: passenger, driver or windsheild tinted at ALL)
Supposed to have at least 38cm of clearance (WTF my car comes with 40cm STOCK)
No lowriders allowed (if anything but your wheels touch, fucked)
Headlight shades (tinted covers=illegal)
Foglights must be no more than 30cm lower than the headlights (in otherwords every body kit with foglights built into it is illegal)
Ever see green turn signals? ILLEGAL! must be orange (front/back) or just red in the back
Blue lights (if it is visible from any direction, you are fucked->police use only)
Red lights (visible from the front=fine ->emergency vehicles only)
green lights (they are now using green for emergency vehicles too, so green is now on the banned list)
Body kits and wings: if it is pointy or has sharp or thin edges, FINE!! also check to make sure there is 38cm of clearance.
Most foglights are illegal cause they are blue.

source: Criminal Code of Canada

Want more?? Questions??? email me at [email protected]

--Vantage out

Vantage
12-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by black94gt
figure this out,
does anyone know why?

red and green are illegal too, they are more picky about blue though cause that color is reserved for cops. Red and green are resereved for emergenct vehicles, and underglow itself (no matter what color) is illegal to have on while operating your vehicle on any highway (highway by definition is any public or private road)

I think we should start a petition or something, cause this is rediculous

questions???
[email protected]

--Vantage out

1badPT
12-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know where the law stands on chromed LEDs? I'd like to get rid of the orange diffuser in my headlight housing and replace the bulb with a chromed amber led cluster bulb (appears white when not in use).

ryder_23
12-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Vantage
also check to make sure there is 38cm of clearance.

from bottom of bumper to ground :confused:

Vantage
12-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

from bottom of bumper to ground :confused:

yup.

Your chromed LEDs your are talking about signal lights? As long as it emits an orange light only it can be used. doesn't matter if it looks neon purple when its not in use.

questions??? [email protected]

--Vantage out

1badPT
12-10-2003, 02:35 PM
cool. I used to have a contact in Alberta transportation, but I've lost touch with him. So you have a good working knowledge of the laws in Alberta? :)

ryder_23
12-10-2003, 02:36 PM
you gotta be shitting me. just measured mine, 11inchs off the ground = 28cm

ferraris, and other sports cars stock are way lower than that....so wheres the law on that.

you musta been looking at old laws, maybe from the model t era

Vantage
12-10-2003, 02:37 PM
mostly federal, but the motor vehicle act is pretty much the same across canada, with only a few differences in the provinces.

1badPT
12-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Its probably measured from the fascia and not the lower valance spoiler. Just a guess though - my car only clears 6" measured from the lower spoiler - I always have to be careful driving down the ramp from my parking garage. I've scraped it on many occaisions.

Vantage
12-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Lamp Height

Lamp Minimum Height Maximum Height
Headlights 56 cm 1.37 m
Stop, Tail and Reflector 38 cm 1.83 m
Driving Lights 40 cm 1.06 m
Fog Lights 30 cm below headlamps Level with headlamps
Daytime Running Lights 30 cm 2.11 m

Bumpers

The centerline of the bumper must fall within 380 to 560 mm above ground for cars and the lowest part must be 750 mm high or less for trucks weighing 4500 kg or less. The width of the bumper must be at least equal to the track width of the vehicle, and the horizontal surface must be at least 100 mm in width.

so 38cm min to 56cm max clearance on cars.

source Vancouver RCMP traffic division, but they said it is the same regualtion across canada.

link is http://www.island.net/~cihp/modify.html

szw
12-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Last time I checked the 38cm of clearance was from the ground to the main structural bumper support which is inside the bumper, not the actual bumper itself.

I did read over the alberta highway traffic act very quickly so I may have misunderstood.

Vantage
12-10-2003, 02:43 PM
is is open to interpretation, one person I talked to said it was from lowest point on car, another said bumper support. They will probably not bother you about it.

I asked one cop about underglow (I said not blue or red) and he said : "undrglow huh, well look at it this way, hitchhiking is illegal...that is all I am saying."

If they are not in a pissy mood, you can get away with alot.

1badPT
12-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Yeah I was going to say, you can probably break a lot of these rules and get away with it, but if a cop really wants to bust you and your car isn't to code, he can really nail you if he wants to (especially if he's behind on his month's quota for tickets) ;)

szw
12-10-2003, 02:46 PM
63(1) No person shall alter a passenger car so that the main
structural component of a bumper is more than 50 centimetres or
less than 40 centimetres above ground level when the passenger car
is unloaded.
RSA 1980 cH-7 s63
Offence

http://www.canlii.org/ab/sta/csa/20030217/r.s.a.2000c.h-8/whole.html

Vantage
12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
There you have it then its from the bumper support.

Then again I dont have to worry about mine, I gots Air Ride!!!

oh time to measure clearance (hisssssssss) hmm 40cm on the dot!

alloroc
12-10-2003, 04:19 PM
You can have underglow installed. Just can't have it turned on on public roadways.

403Gemini
12-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by black94gt
figure this out,
does anyone know why?

its not illegal to have a red underglow on the BACK of your car, least to my knowledge, but on the front it is.

green is illegal

reason cop probably said that is cause green and red lights are commonly seen on the road so it doesnt attract AS much attention as say a blue. where do you see them? at traffic lights.

thats why.

i dunno i dont mind them, i think everybody is haters of em cause FNF pretty much was cars whos only mod WAS neon lights and this made everybody pissed. IMO they look fine if installed correctly with no loose wiring and hidden behind a kit or something, then it just looks like a nice warm glow.

but thats just my opinion.

1badPT
12-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Yeah I think they look great, especially on a car that's rolling, it looks like the car is hovering almost. Has anyone ever seen those scrolling led tubes that change color and play back patterns. Way cool (and expensive :tongue: ).

skidmark
12-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Quota??

No quota anymore, now we can write as many as we want to.....:devil:

Thanks for posting a link to our site Vantage.

1badPT
12-10-2003, 10:23 PM
:eek: :D

1badPT
12-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Oh and vantage, I'm guessing these would not be legal then:
(click pic for video)
http://members.shaw.ca/badblood/ptcruiser/PT-GLOW.jpg (http://members.shaw.ca/badblood/ptcruiser/ptcruiser.wmv)
:D :D :D :thumbsup: :nut:

97_silverEL
12-10-2003, 11:22 PM
looks like a fucking disco

1badPT
12-10-2003, 11:28 PM
I like it, I just don't know if I $800 US + Shipping like it :dunno:

Vantage
12-11-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT

Hmmm let me see,
Flashing lights (illegal)
Blue visible from any direction (illegal)
Red visible from the front (illegal)

You can have that stuff on your car, as long as it is NOT turned on while you are on any road. -EX- have it turned off while driving or parked on the side of the street, but turned on while in a parking lot or at a show.

If you have it turned on while driving you are just plain asking for a ticket/fine.

Also the bulbs must be completely hidden at all times.

Vantage
12-11-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by skidmark
Quota??

No quota anymore, now we can write as many as we want to.....:devil:

Thanks for posting a link to our site Vantage.

No problem, I think it is great. Trying to hack through the legal mumbo jumbo of the Criminal Code of Canada gives me a headache. Your site is great, easy to read, and gets the info out there.

I got one suggestion though, I dont know if it is possible cause you would then have to have someone dedicated to reading and repling, but having a "Ask officer Bob" form would be cool. For instance lets say I am interested in installing a certain mod on my car, but wanted to check the law beforehand, I could post it up on your site, and get the real deal on the rules.

93akordse
12-11-2003, 09:05 AM
if you want the underglow kit then get it, it's your car
anything modified is illegal just like maxboost stated
technically if a cop wants to pull you over there are plenty of reasons ie swerving, stunting, suspicious behavior hell they can even make something up. However they are only illegal in this state if they can see the bulb, technically.
personally i think they need to arrest alot of people around here for having horrible taste.........ricers everywhere

403Gemini
12-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
(click pic for video)
http://members.shaw.ca/badblood/ptcruiser/PT-GLOW.jpg (http://members.shaw.ca/badblood/ptcruiser/ptcruiser.wmv)
:D :D :D :thumbsup: :nut:

holy shit this is ghey. i was sportin the underglow why did you hafta do this to make people go against me ;)

i dunno whats more ghey, the rainblow colored underglow or the pt cruiser with underglow lol

german
12-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by boi-alien

anything that's not OEM on your car is technically illegal and u can get ticketed for it

does this include body kits that are oem, not quite sure

1badPT
12-12-2003, 01:04 AM
didya watch the video?

german
12-12-2003, 11:33 AM
which video sorry?:( :confused:

1badPT
12-12-2003, 11:48 AM
The vid when you click the picture - Sorry that was meant for 403Gemini.

german
12-12-2003, 11:56 AM
its alright don't sweat it

lol disco ball outta a pt cruiser GHEY

93akordse
12-12-2003, 01:09 PM
it depends on the cop if oem body kits will get you a fine, in most cases i doubt an officer would pull you over and give you a fine for it. Unless of course they are looking for a reason to ticket you.
you'd be surprised at some of the reasons they can give you a ticket for, esp in SC, i've got plenty of stories

skidmark
12-14-2003, 12:37 PM
I probably shouldn't say it here, but I answer questions like that in the RCMP Forum on RevScene.

You can also use the webmaster link on our site to ask questions as well.

1WiCkEdWrX
12-28-2003, 02:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
[B]

:werd:

hockeybronx
01-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Yes they are illegal because apparently they are "distractions".

However if you have them on a switch you could get away with them, only turn them on when you are pimpin it up. Just be careful and use them wisely.

DefektiveVibe
04-27-2004, 12:24 AM
hah neons are illegal cuz of the acidic shit thats in em if they were to explode youll melt out a few tires...and for stunting cops can be dicks about it...one of my buddies got a $450 ticket for screeching a bit and creating smoke...i guess he hit the gas a little to hard in his caprice haha

DefektiveVibe
04-27-2004, 12:27 AM
ohh forgot to add those neons license plate lights that ricers put around there plates are illegal too....same thing its the acid in em but cops just dont care for little thinkgs like that

WGR4Pussies
04-27-2004, 12:37 AM
umm, do you understand how neon lights work buddy? go back to highschool, (are you even old enough to be in high school?) Neon lights use a gas, such as NEON. lol, shit.

This thread is old. too old. give it up.