PDA

View Full Version : Ticketed for no seatbelts

MTsoul
02-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I googled for a community with knowledge on cars (and being ticketed) and here I am.

I got ticketed yesterday for not wearing a seatbelt in Vancouver BC. I was in the car with 4 other people. Sitting in the back really tight, I didn't bother with the seatbelt. The driver was speeding and got caught, the cops then immediately saw no one in the back was wearing seatbelts and wrote us tickets for $167.

So I'm obviously ticked off for such a dumb mistake and want to dispute. Do I have a chance? Two things about this:

1. I'm 17 (will be 18 in a few days actually). They asked if everyone was an adult and I kept my mouth shut. Does this affect anything? (Can they only ticket 18 or 19+?)

2. On the ticket, the date that says when I received the ticket says my birthdate. I guess the cop who wrote the ticket was half blind and decided that was a good place to put my birthdate. That means I got the ticket the day I was born... Does this have any effect on my dispute?

How much effort / money is required for a dispute anyway? What if I don't dispute or pay the fine?

Thanks. I really don't want to pay $167 for no seatbelts.

Z_Fan
02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I think you have a chance at quashing it.

Kloubek
02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I think they will throw this out. The information has to be correct on the ticket.

Talk to the crown, and they'll probably quash it for you.

Thaco
02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
also the cop should have seen your b-day when he filled out the ticket and realized you were a minor and given your ticket to the driver of the car, not to you.

peterparker
02-16-2008, 01:18 PM
lol wat a dumb dumb if the date is wrong your set buddy!:bigpimp:

luxor
02-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
also the cop should have seen your b-day when he filled out the ticket and realized you were a minor and given your ticket to the driver of the car, not to you.

pretty sure anyone over the age of 16 is responsible for their own seat belt and therefore seat belt tickets as well.

Don't know if that's the same for B.C but i'm almost positive that is the case in AB.

michelinman79
02-16-2008, 01:32 PM
they quashed a $300 ticket i received beacuse the cop spelt my name wrong, but i was still clearly in the wrong. so if the cop wrote the completely wrong date down then your clear

~Leah~
02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by luxor

pretty sure anyone over the age of 16 is responsible for their own seat belt and therefore seat belt tickets as well.

Don't know if that's the same for B.C but i'm almost positive that is the case in AB.

That's the case in Saskatchewan too, so I'm pretty sure your age won't get you anything. But the date thing might be your lucky day.

Eleanor
02-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by luxor

I'm 99% sure that AB is 18, didn't you know when you turn 18 you instantly become smart?

iblizzard
02-16-2008, 03:49 PM
In my opinion, you answered your own question:

So I'm obviously ticked off for such a dumb mistake...

Put your seatbelt on, and you won't get ticketed for it!

Thaco
02-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by iblizzard
In my opinion, you answered your own question:

Put your seatbelt on, and you won't get ticketed for it!

if avoiding a ticket is your only reason for wearing a seatbelt, then you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

MrRetrofit
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MTsoul
I got ticketed yesterday for not wearing a seatbelt in Vancouver BC. ......

.....I didn't bother with the seatbelt.

hmm... suck it up and just pay it.

slick2404
02-16-2008, 05:08 PM

if avoiding a ticket is your only reason for wearing a seatbelt, then you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

:werd:

strong
02-16-2008, 05:12 PM
This is going to get squished in court well at leats in AB it would

Toma
02-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Fucking beyond Traffic Police chiming in..... :rolleyes:

Seatbelts suck, and I only wear mine when I see a cop....or sling it over my shoulder.

Stop telling me what to do you fascist pigs! :poosie:

MrRetrofit
02-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Stop telling me what to do you fascist pigs! :poosie:

maybe I am just sick of putting my life on hold becuase I have to go cut people like you out of their car they crashed. :nut:

SneakyNeek
02-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by MrRetrofit

maybe I am just sick of putting my life on hold becuase I have to go cut people like you out of their car they crashed. :nut:

Cuz you know he wasent being sarcastic at all...

iblizzard
02-16-2008, 07:07 PM

I wasn't suggesting at all that the only reason for a seatbelt is to avoid a ticket.. I was just saying that he should suck it up and pay because he wasn't obeying the law.

I never even think of driving a car without wearing a seatbelt. Doesn't even cross my mind.

dodgy
02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
It should be easy: choosing not to wear a seat-belt should signify a release to emergency services, like DNR. So when they show up to your accident and see they have to scrap your @ss off the road, they can just leave you there, with your brain on the sidewalk and your legs wrapped around the lamppost.

But on the upside - I won't have to pay for your health care, you'll most likely be dead.

npham
02-16-2008, 07:40 PM

hmm... suck it up and just pay it.

$167 is probably a sizable chunk of change for a 17 year old.

Jay911
02-16-2008, 08:44 PM

Amen! One of my very first extrications was on a guy who was unbelted in a rollover (his drunk best friend was driving). That was 17+ years ago. He has been moving himself around by pushing on a straw with his mouth (on his motorized wheelchair) ever since then.

MTsoul
02-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks all for the informative and warm welcome. $167 is quite a sizable chunk. I do admit it was my fault, and it's more likely I will wear it more often from now on. But that likelihood has nothing to do with me having to pay this fine. I learned my lesson, but I don't need my stomach to suffer through it next month.

I'm actually excited to go to court and see what it's like.

aaroB
02-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Is it possible to plea for financial instability in the hopes of getting the fine lowered significantly? I am only asking because I have not held a job in over 3 years and with this being considered, $167 dollars is a hell of a lot of money I will need to pull out of my ass!!

JRSC00LUDE
02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Slink seems to be on different meds this month......

rmk
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by aaroB
Is it possible to plea for financial instability in the hopes of getting the fine lowered significantly? I am only asking because I have not held a job in over 3 years and with this being considered, $167 dollars is a hell of a lot of money I will need to pull out of my ass!!

haha where did this come from?

gatorade
02-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by aaroB

hey is that skitso guy back?