PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen RX-7's

sin
08-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Alright, so i'm looking to sell my 4th Gen Accord, and wanting to buy a 2nd Gen RX-7, just wondering a few things -

anyone here have experience with them?
what are the main problems (besides general unreliability)?
does anyone have one/know of one for sale?
price range (preferrably turbo, no auto, no GXL)

thx in advance

Scat
08-01-2003, 01:29 AM
swap in a toyota 2JZ

sin
08-01-2003, 01:34 AM
haha thanks scott, ill keep that in mind once i have the car, and a job that pays better

Scat
08-01-2003, 01:58 AM
I saw it done into a 3rd gen RX-7. It was AMAZING!!! Like a super light weight supra.:drool:
I'm sure with all the cash you get from selling the accord you could afford the rx-7 and a 2jz. Maybe a garret T-88 turbo and HKS intercooler too.:rolleyes:

and no I'm not serious:D

sin
08-01-2003, 02:31 AM
hah no shit
so the non turbo 89's have 160 hp, but the turbo's have 200, what do you think the price difference would be, i see 89's for around 3200-3500 in traders lately

EDIT: and they only weigh 2700 lB's

lammer
08-01-2003, 02:42 AM
i think turbos go for like 5-6 +?
i saw a few in the trader back then and it was an anivasary edition turboII for 5500

Scat
08-01-2003, 02:49 AM
Depends if you are going to keep the engine sin.
If so, you MUST get a turbo. If your gonna swap it later, then settle for the N/T for now.

mad_psyentist
08-01-2003, 08:49 AM
After the engine swap and all, I got mine for around $4.5K, she's turbo.

Other than the catastrophe that happened to me, the only problems that I've had have been general wiring and electricity. Things like the auto windows, the sunroof and wipers don't work properly (my back one doesn't work at all) and are a bitch to rewire. Mine was in pretty kick-ass condition when I bought it.

If you get the turbo, you could get the rotar filed down to use the larger apex seals. Bit more durable that way. I haven't done that as I just got a new engine in.

I'd suggest having the relayboxes for the electricity either inspected or have them replaced altogether. They seem to be a major problem.

rx7_turbo2
08-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by mad_psyentist
After the engine swap and all, I got mine for around $4.5K, she's turbo.

Other than the catastrophe that happened to me, the only problems that I've had have been general wiring and electricity. Things like the auto windows, the sunroof and wipers don't work properly (my back one doesn't work at all) and are a bitch to rewire. Mine was in pretty kick-ass condition when I bought it.

If you get the turbo, you could get the rotar filed down to use the larger apex seals. Bit more durable that way. I haven't done that as I just got a new engine in.

I'd suggest having the relayboxes for the electricity either inspected or have them replaced altogether. They seem to be a major problem.

They do suffer from electrical gremlins, maybe more than other cars of the same age. You can have the rotors milled not filled. This will allow you to use 3mm apex seals as opposed to 2mm. I think it's an awfull idea for a whole number of reasons. If someone wanted I could go into more detail, but I don't want to bore everyone for no reason.

Frank
11-13-2003, 09:55 AM
i have a friend who is selling his rx-7 it needs a bit of body work
like most cars do but he's asking 2000 it's standard but it's a non turbo

Maxt
11-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by sin
Alright, so i'm looking to sell my 4th Gen Accord, and wanting to buy a 2nd Gen RX-7, just wondering a few things -

anyone here have experience with them?

Um yeah....:nut:

what are the main problems (besides general unreliability)?

Usually the biggest problem with them , is the people who have worked on them.. They are not unreliable at all, in fact, the 2nd gen is probably the best and most reliable car I have ever owned, I have owned saabs,mitsubishis,Chevs, a ford, a jeep, etc..The fc is a very good car and a very nice car to drive..They have their quirks as does every model, but generally easily fixed without a phd...

does anyone have one/know of one for sale?
price range (preferrably turbo, no auto, no GXL)

For the right price..:)....There are a few in the BargF...depends if you want a project or a driver..
Maxt

redline_13000
11-13-2003, 11:47 PM
I doubt youll find one as good as mine for the price man!

twincharged86
11-14-2003, 12:33 AM
88 gx, light blue

body is in great shape (orig. paint)

low kms (under 100k) jdm S4 turbo II motor and tranny, new clutch

pm for more details, car is now 3500 firm!!!