PDA

View Full Version : head gasket replacement

sh0ko
02-17-2008, 08:09 PM
hey guys

im not sure if i should but i reallly wanna try to replace my headgasket (its needed as its starting to leak) now im watching the video in HQ on how to remove and replace the headgasket but i believe his is a gen 3 w/ egr while mine is a gen 1 w/o egr and p/s and al that jazz

anybody have experience doing this?!
is anyone willing to help me that has done this b4?! im willing to $$$ for the help as going to my mechanic would cost me 1500 (without parts.. but i already have the new parts waiting). im just a little worried that im not experienced enough with this but at the same time im really eager to learn and give it a go.. i just really wish someone who has done this b4 would do it with me!

also i dunno if i have the ALL the tools for this...and does it require removing the engine from the vehicle?!

thanx guys

any tips /advice/help would b mostly appreciated
i know redlyne, jvillain and thinmyster know what theyre doing.. whehter or not u guys have the time is another issue

sr20s14zenki
02-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Its not THAT hard you just need to take your time. You will need a torque wrench, and specs to retorque your head bolts to spec, as well as what order to tighten them in. Give yourself down time, because i would reccomend taking your head to an engine shop to get it checked for warpage, and planed if neccissary.

marimba
02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
im right in the middle of doing the headgasket on my 91 and to be honest there are a few tough moments. im a journeyman tech so i was able to figure it all out, but if you dont have much experience you may want to let some one else do it. mines taking quite a long time because im sanding and painting all the parts as i go but if i just do the basics it could be done in a weekend. anyway lemme know if you want help
dave

stevo 27
02-18-2008, 12:01 AM
the duece only got the 2nd gen 3sgte it's really easy to do imho just take your time and dont get frustrated you can actully do it in the car if you want

Redlyne_jr
02-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by stevo 27
the duece only got the 2nd gen 3sgte it's really easy to do imho just take your time and dont get frustrated you can actully do it in the car if you want

u sure their is enough room in the engine bay? looks like it would be a pain is the ass :dunno:

thinmyster
02-18-2008, 04:35 AM
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=270666

stevo 27
02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ~Porsche~

u sure their is enough room in the engine bay? looks like it would be a pain is the ass :dunno:

should be able to i can in my trac and the hardest part is gettin the intake manifold off because it's mashed right up to the firewall
other than that it's not tooo much of a pain in the ass

Redlyne_jr
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27

should be able to i can in my trac and the hardest part is gettin the intake manifold off because it's mashed right up to the firewall
other than that it's not tooo much of a pain in the ass

true but their is alot more room in a trac's engine bay than say a deuce.. lol i guess anything is possible though...

962 kid
02-18-2008, 08:58 PM
haha that looks about as hard as changing your oil filter

Redlyne_jr
02-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
haha that looks about as hard as changing your oil filter

ahahaha too funny

heavyD
02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I have been contemplating doing a HG also. Compression is fine but mine leaks oil outside which I've never seen before but apparently can happen on the 3sgte.:( It's not bad but I hate oil leaks.

I saw the video on mr2oc.com but it looks like just too much work on these cars. Is it really $1500 to get it done?

alloroc
02-19-2008, 10:31 AM
If you are inexperienced Make sure you get a 1/4" torque wrench as well. Check the torque specs for your engine (cam caps etc) to make sure you get the right range. If you are unfamiliar with engines and aluminum heads it is WAY too easy to strip a bolt if you do not have previous experience and a good 'feel'.

The most important thing is to take your time and make sure everything is spotlessly clean and properly lubed when you put it back together.

Mr_ET
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
From looking at all the posts and DIY, it looks like it would almost be easier to just pull the engine to do this:dunno:

red99600
02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
if you have all the necessary tools to do so,
and you want to overhaul the engine, then you can take it out.
but really..why do the extra work.

it is "easy" for those with experience
it will be difficult for those who have not replaced these before.

if you have the tools and skills, then go for it and make sure you follow the bgb.
if you are new to it, then i wouldn't recommend it unless you really didn't have the money.
just find an mr2 enthusiast that would charge you less. i'd do it for less than $1500

heavyD
02-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by red99600
it is "easy" for those with experience
it will be difficult for those who have not replaced these before.

Easy is in how many hours?

marimba
02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
i checked the book time on the hg job it was either 15 or 18 hours i dont remember. i found the hardest part of the job was putting the timing belt tensioner on...wow is that ever tight!

heavyD
02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by marimba
i checked the book time on the hg job it was either 15 or 18 hours i dont remember. i found the hardest part of the job was putting the timing belt tensioner on...wow is that ever tight!

15 - 18 hours. I think I'll stick with the oil leak LOL!

marimba
02-19-2008, 06:04 PM
ya that gets pricey expecially at 100-120 an hour for labour! ill be finishing up mine this week if you want yours done i may have some time next week

red99600
02-20-2008, 01:44 AM
its for sure a day of work, maybe more.
depends on your pace... personally, who's going to rush.. other than yourself ?