PDA

View Full Version : Possible to "clone" sim cards?

JRSC00LUDE
02-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I really doubt it but hey, you never know....

It would be so convenient to be able to have duplicate copies of the same card so you could load 2 or 3 phones with the same account so they would have the same phone number and all work at the same time.

I'd like to have one to take biking, etc. (so I don't smash a good phone when I crash with it in my pocket), one to just leave in the car so bluetooth is always there for incoming calls and then my regular good phone.

Is that really too much to ask?

adam c
02-19-2008, 03:23 PM
its not that hard to switch the sim card, i always do that when i go snowboarding

snowboarding = old, crappy L6
regular = KE500

JRSC00LUDE
02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
^

But I'm lazy and like maximum convenience! :)

vietdood
02-19-2008, 03:26 PM
i think it's possible if you're able to find a boot loader that can read/edit the sim card chip like the directv boot loader.

szw
02-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Pretty sure its easily available. Some guy next to me at work just bought a sim card that holds 5 numbers on it (of course you can only use one at a time). Its a separate use from what you're asking, but the implication is the same.

Try googling instead of asking here, almost always a better option.

edit: pretty sure they won't all work at the same time.

98type_r
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
not worth the time/effort. it'll cost you more money than it's worth for the tiny bit of inconvenience

Eleanor
02-20-2008, 11:54 AM
this may be a stupid answer but couldn't you just ask your SP for another one?

dragonone
02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
if you want same number on two different cards, i called rogers and fido and they said it's not possible

98type_r
02-20-2008, 01:04 PM
actually the route through customer service is possible, but only one of the two (or more) sims can be active at any given time and you would need to call in to customer service every time you wanted to swap back and forth.
the inactive ones when used in a phone would just say unregistered sim and you wouldn't even be able to retrieve phone numbers off it.