PDA

View Full Version : First...engine? (A good idea?)

Chicken Warrior
02-19-2008, 04:00 PM
So...

I'm 17, always been car crazy, but also know nothing about practical mechanics. Family cars have always been a bit too advanced for me to work on and no one's been keen to teach me (maybe with good reason).

So, ideal situation, I walk off and buy a simple 4cyl 1970s whatever, take it apart, put it back together, build it up, tweak, wax and drive. Problem is, we have small yard, two cars already consuming garage, and I really don't want to pay $200 a month (car and gas not included) for the privelage of enjoying the product of my work.

What are my other options?

I found a couple seized 1960s Isuzu engines in the garage the other day and I'm sure I could get at least one of them running. They don't take up too much room and they're pretty basic. Problem is, without the body, is this even possible (let alone for a first timer?). I don't have transmission, ignition, etc., so how could I tell what I was doing? And no, I won't find a body even if I do fix 'em. Believe me I've looked.

So...am I doomed? Does anyone know of anyminiature car kits or something? Simulated engines? Insurance workaround for storing on the street?

I'm homeschooled to school mechanics club doesn't work either.

:(

962 kid
02-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Pick up one of the isuzu engines and learn welding while you're at it. Build yourself a nice little test bench for the engine and run it on that. We had a couple completely operational engines at my school that were just bolted to frames welded out of angle iron, with a small panel for gauges and ignition.

barmanjay
02-20-2008, 12:33 AM
I hate to suggest but and older,..... cavalier

they always require little bits here and there.

There's lots of knowledge about them on the internet aswell.

I think it's a good start if you wanna learn the basics.

The engines are usually easy to work on and usually only require basic maintenance, either that or they just blow up,.. so no real need to overhaul an engine.

parts are everywhere for them and relatively inexpensive.

BUT: for the love of god,.. do not rice it out and think it's fast! because it's not and nor will it ever be unless the engine is swapped out.

For a newb i think an 88-94 cavalier with a v6 is a good start, they are also pretty cheap too.

From there,.. when the car dies or you feel you have learned enough you can just dump the car at the local scrap yard then go for something more challenging

wheelmanz24
02-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
I hate to suggest but and older,..... cavalier

they always require little bits here and there.

There's lots of knowledge about them on the internet aswell.

I think it's a good start if you wanna learn the basics.

The engines are usually easy to work on and usually only require basic maintenance, either that or they just blow up,.. so no real need to overhaul an engine.

parts are everywhere for them and relatively inexpensive.

BUT: for the love of god,.. do not rice it out and think it's fast! because it's not and nor will it ever be unless the engine is swapped out.

For a newb i think an 88-94 cavalier with a v6 is a good start, they are also pretty cheap too.

From there,.. when the car dies or you feel you have learned enough you can just dump the car at the local scrap yard then go for something more challenging

if you take this guy's advice pm me!
i have a 92 cav 3.1 for sale for a very good price for the shape its in
and its a 5 speed!

Supa Dexta
02-20-2008, 12:45 AM
A cheap dirt bike is great for learning on. That way you can work inside, not take up much space, and still learn a lot of stuff about how an engine works. After you know that, everything they slap on the outside of one(on any engine), is just another part to the main puzzle, and easier to understand how they all work together...

Thats how I started when I was young, and doing complete engine rebuilds by the time I was 15.

It's great nowadays though, because of all the info online, and the ability to find answers and forums for anything you may run into..

78si
02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
A cheap dirt bike is great for learning on. That way you can work inside, not take up much space, and still learn a lot of stuff about how an engine works. After you know that, everything they slap on the outside of one(on any engine), is just another part to the main puzzle, and easier to understand how they all work together...

Thats how I started when I was young, and doing complete engine rebuilds by the time I was 15.

It's great nowadays though, because of all the info online, and the ability to find answers and forums for anything you may run into..

^ Good Advice ! IMO- Kids that played with RC cars and trucks end up being really good in the shop.