PDA

View Full Version : SRT4 What do you people think?

Oversteer
08-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Okay I'm doing a little survey here, just post your comments on Dodge's new SRT4 arriving in Canada September time costing round about $27,000. Personaly I think its a great car for a good price, stlying could be a bit sharper, however with a bit of personal mods could look even better. Front takes getting use to. However its very powerfull. lots of potential, great fun.

for info or pics go to this site http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/neon/index.htm

So is it a : :thumbsup: or a :thumbsdow for the SRT4, No imports versus north/south american cars bullshit. Just talk about the car in itself. I'm from Europe myself, drive a european car, but I look at a car individually no American VS Jap crap.

Thanks.

littledan
08-01-2003, 03:14 PM
i give it a :thumbsup: for hp/$

big :thumbsdow for styling

can you say heel/toe?
http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/neon/images/neon_interior4_jpg.jpg

Oversteer
08-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Ok fair enough Little Dan. Keep it rollin. Edmonton nice place been around there!

yankeefan
08-01-2003, 03:21 PM
its good for all cars anytime one of the car companys steps it up, so im glad to see but dont think I would buy one. if I was to get a 4 door id prolly go for something alittle bigger.

pedals might appear closer then they really are. considerinmg the angle of the pic. dunno for sure though=)

Aleks
08-01-2003, 03:21 PM
:thumbsup:

Great deal. It will be even better with Mopar add ons which DON'T void the warranty.

Oversteer
08-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Actually you don't want your gas pedal to far off from the brake, for fast shifting and fast braking, its very usefull.

yankeefan
08-01-2003, 03:32 PM
agreed thought he was saying they were too close. mayby I misunderstood his post;)

littledan
08-01-2003, 03:55 PM
ha... ya i'm saying those would make it super easy to heel/toe. some cars have the pedals so far apart that aftermarket pedals are almost a must if you want to heel/toe.

AquamosH
08-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Huge :thumbsup:

You get a lot for your money.

DSM Power
08-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Good bang for buck, no doubt.... but as they say "it's still a Neon". :dunno:

yankeefan
08-01-2003, 04:08 PM
the dodge ram srt-10 is pretty impressive also. wouldnt mind one of them:thumbsup:

finboy
08-01-2003, 05:23 PM
who cares if its "still a neon"

point is, for the price it has UNBEATABLE performance, and for very little $$$ you can have a 300 hp with a waranty. and seing as how the car was grosly under rated from the factory, do you really think the 300/300 stage III package will only make that much?

the seats are GREAT (along with the rest of the interior) and the exhaust has a nice growl (even though it is the first think i would chuck).

times they are a changing

cocoabrova
08-01-2003, 05:40 PM
If the SRT-4 was available when I sold my ITR/AE86, I would've bought one. But at the time, the closest thing to that price range (<$30K), the MSP was the next best thing for me. The SRT-4 was even rated Best Sport Compact this year by SCC, which was quite unusual to some readers. SCC/the sport compact scene has always been import-oriented and the intro of the SRT-4 to the market was quite the kick-in-the-ballz.....

redx2nv
08-01-2003, 06:09 PM
i think it wouldnt have been cool if it wasnt a neon!!!!

pros: dollar for dollar you cant beat it, they had something right here this time. upgrades for this car are great, mopar back in the game again!

cons: still a neon, people still think you drive a economy shitbucket thats riced out. :rolleyes:

Stratus_Power
08-01-2003, 06:47 PM
bah just like an evo is still a lancer, who cares

Boost Infested
08-01-2003, 07:06 PM
i drove one in calgary....:D yes i know i am bragging. :poosie: i bet if you go and test drive a srt-4 without the dodge badges, you would be like "WOW!" if that car has a "H" emblem in the front and back, all of you would be all over it...;)

these cars can handle, speed, and look good in my opinion. well i dont like the wing. :thumbsdow its a NEON and some more...:hitit:

Boost Infested
08-01-2003, 08:30 PM
How's that for pricing?! Here's the press release:

Dodge SRT-4 Revolutionizes the Canadian Compact Car Market

WINDSOR, ON, Aug. 1 /CNW/ - The all-new 2004 Dodge SRT-4 will soon be
arriving in Canadian Dodge dealerships, packed with even more power than
originally planned and available for an impressive MSRP of only $26,950.
Launching from the hot customization trend that began in the mid-90's, Dodge
SRT-4 will appeal to both the true enthusiasts in the market, as well as
everyday drivers who value performance.

Engineers from DaimlerChrysler's Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO)
team have been enhancing the performance of the award-winning Dodge SRT-4,
which was originally offered in the U.S. market only. Transferring what they
learn on the street in their own cars to those coming off the assembly line,
PVO engineers have refined the engine calibration of the 2.4 litre intercooled
turbo in the 2004 Dodge SRT-4 and boosted the output to 230 horsepower at
5,300 rpm and 250 lb.-ft. of torque from 2,200-4,400 rpm. This compares to 215
horsepower and 245 lb.-ft. of torque for the 2003 Dodge SRT-4.

"Dodge SRT-4 is a car created for tuners by tuners. It is the fastest car
in Canada for under $27,000 and second quickest car in the Dodge lineup,
accelerating from 0-100 km/h in just 5.8 seconds. Only the Dodge Viper is
faster," said John MacDonald, Dodge Brand Manager. "Dodge SRT-4 is the perfect
vehicle for someone looking for a customized look they can drive right off the
lot, yet the design isn't so overwhelming that it stifles the creativity of
enthusiasts looking to personalize their own cars. It offers the best of both
worlds."

The 2004 Dodge SRT-4 includes a new NGC3 engine control module with an
updated calibration that widens the torque range. In addition to the increased
horsepower and torque, the 2004 Dodge SRT-4 features a new torque-sensing
limited-slip differential as standard equipment, providing more traction when
accelerating out of the corners.

At the rear is a decklid spoiler as well as a new fascia that complements
the special side sills, with openings for the stainless steel dual exhaust
tips. Dodge SRT-4 has 17-inch aluminum wheels and Michelin Pilot-Z rated tires
as standard equipment.

To underscore Dodge SRT-4's performance capability, unique bright silver
pedal pads are a new feature along with Viper-style performance seats and a
short-throw, satin-silver "cue-ball" shifter knob. An optional sunroof package
is also available. The 2004 Dodge SRT-4 colour palette includes Electric Blue,
Flame Red, Black and Bright Silver Metallic.

ninspeed
08-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by finboy

the exhaust has a nice growl (even though it is the first think i would chuck).

times they are a changing
what is there to chuck? its got straight pipes allready

finboy
08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
dual tips with LOTS of bends.

a 3" pip with a resonator dumping out the side would be nice, then just fill the holes in the rear bumper.

the turbo would be the next thing to go, so tiny.

AquamosH
08-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Now that I think about it, there's also a downside to the srt-4's price tag.
Because it's a powerful vehicle at such a low cost, a lot of people are going to go out and buy one, which somewhat kills the novelty of owning one.

finboy
08-01-2003, 09:02 PM
i thought there was a limited # being made

B18C
08-01-2003, 11:27 PM
The only thing I'm concerned about is reliability. Other than that, this car is second to none. The the 2004's coming with a LSD standard I'm all over this car!

Great power, good handling.....what else is there?

Looks? That is personal opinion but even if you don't like the styling now you may change your mind when the sight of one invokes the image of you getting your ass handed to you.

Reliability? As I said before, this is a concern. Realistically, it can't be that bad. Besides, can you name me another car under $30G's that has over 200whp and 200wtq WITH a intact warranty?

This car has everything any car enthusiast could really ask for.

It gets a big :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me

max_boost
08-01-2003, 11:35 PM
This car is freaking scary
7 years 115000km warranty along with factory turbo upgrades
Ricers better watchout!!!:nut:

dj_honda
08-02-2003, 12:33 AM
i dont think the syling is too bad, i dont like the spoiler. i have seen it in person twice, once in the NE, and once going northbound deerfoot. it is pretty sweet, and factory turbo upgrades kick ass. :thumbsup: i wouldnt get yellow though. and i would proly shave all the badges :D

rice_eater
08-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by B18C
Besides, can you name me another car under $30G's that has over 200whp and 200wtq WITH a intact warranty?

This car has everything any car enthusiast could really ask for.

It gets a big :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me

actually sport compact car just did another dyno test in this month's issue and found 223hp and 250 ft/lbs!!!! Ricers beware is the understatement of the century!

Boost Infested
08-02-2003, 12:47 AM
why wouldnt it be reliable? cause its a neon? :rolleyes: i have been playing with these 2.2/2.5 turbo for the last 5-6 years. these bottom ends are almost bullet proof. have you seen these rods? they are as big if not bigger than some v8 rods. you said they dont last? most of my cars i had are over 220,000km, i still turn the boost up, no problems. 7yrs warranty with the srt-4 how much more do you need? :dunno: :rofl:

Oversteer
08-02-2003, 03:11 AM
I checked with a dealership in Canada, the car is being shipped in a limited amount into the country by September, believe or not most of them are already sold out!! So yes I guess if the car becomes mass produced then it would sell like hotcakes, so what happens with this controversial car I don't know. All I say is that I WOULD buy one, Silver, lower the suspension, its a bit to propped up from the back, (why would you want to touch the exhaust, its fine as it is). Tint the glass, crome body parts, some decals, maybe change the spoiler, spray black plastic parts (eg mirrors) same body colour, upgrade the turbo kit, and add a blow out valve. It might still be a neon, but it will scare the shit out of anybody in the passanger seat.

mad_psyentist
08-02-2003, 10:33 AM
It doesn't look too bad, actually. It doesn't look like it suffers from over-eatting and over-zealous designers like most new cars (Argh, I hate fat cars). Price is good too.

ecstasy_civic
08-02-2003, 11:53 AM
well after showing my brother in law the article last night, hes alreadyt on his way down to varsity chrysler to see if he can get one or not. Im very interested to see if theyve been all pre-sold.

Ebbsvette
08-02-2003, 11:58 AM
i give two thumbs up for the SRT-4.....very fast little car.....raced one awhile ago and all i hafta say is...more than just imports need to beware...heh......and i think its pretty stylish.....bout time domestics make a killer car to battle imports

finboy
08-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Oversteer
I checked with a dealership in Canada, the car is being shipped in a limited amount into the country by September, believe or not most of them are already sold out!! So yes I guess if the car becomes mass produced then it would sell like hotcakes, so what happens with this controversial car I don't know. All I say is that I WOULD buy one, Silver, lower the suspension, its a bit to propped up from the back, (why would you want to touch the exhaust, its fine as it is). Tint the glass, crome body parts, some decals, maybe change the spoiler, spray black plastic parts (eg mirrors) same body colour, upgrade the turbo kit, and add a blow out valve. It might still be a neon, but it will scare the shit out of anybody in the passanger seat.

if you look at what they did to make it dual exhaust you would be suprised.

one pipe comes out the middle, splits into 2 and twist back towards to the front of the car before it turns 180 degrees again to come out as dual exhaust.

max_boost
08-02-2003, 01:04 PM
The front end looks nicer than last year's WRX!!! The only people that will be hating this car are Honda owners, that's about it. Myself is included in that group!! :rofl:

Boostn
08-02-2003, 01:14 PM
I don't really consider the car a neon, it just looks like one. That'll just add to the sleeper effect. Dodge should have used the SX2.0/Neon chassis and moulded a different design around it for the SRT4. They did the right thing in the powertrain dept. though. Let's just hope more manufacturers follow suit.

Boost Infested
08-02-2003, 02:22 PM
it was a NEON, and it STILL is a NEON!
:rofl:

AccordTypeR
08-02-2003, 03:11 PM
who cares if its a neon!!! so what if neons are econoboxes.... this one isnt. personally if i had the money id get one and the fact that it ahd factory upgrades just sweetens the deal. right now for that price nothing beats it

lammer
08-02-2003, 03:59 PM
i'd buy that if i were allowed to sell my car for that haha. ithink its an impressive piece!

googe
08-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
i dont think the syling is too bad, i dont like the spoiler. i have seen it in person twice, once in the NE, and once going northbound deerfoot. it is pretty sweet, and factory turbo upgrades kick ass. :thumbsup: i wouldnt get yellow though. and i would proly shave all the badges :D

Agreed, call it an SRT4, not a neon :) That was seriously a bad move by Dodge, that small detail of it still being badged as a neon just isnt going to sit right with alot of potential buyers.

Although, an STi is still an Impreza? :)

Originally posted by rice_eater

actually sport compact car just did another dyno test in this month's issue and found 223hp and 250 ft/lbs!!!! Ricers beware is the understatement of the century!

Was this at the wheels though? It looks like he was talking wheels, and you not. Unless this makes that at the wheels, then I really fear. :drool:

Aleks
08-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by googe

Was this at the wheels though? It looks like he was talking wheels, and you not. Unless this makes that at the wheels, then I really fear. :drool:

Yes that's at the wheels :burnout:

LancerShelby
08-05-2003, 09:02 PM
It needs a 3" for sure. I was there looking at the one that rolled through town, he's a friend. No mufflers, just a cat and 2 resonators in 2 1/4'' piping. There is a real bad choked sound to the exhaust though. Boost hits really hard, has V8 type of low end, no bullshit!!! It has incredable passing power on the highway, 5th gear passes are no problem. The trip to his hometown of Olympia, Wash. a couple weeks ago was really neat.
The car is made to be affordable, there over spray underneath the car, they only dip primer them, then spray the final colour.

CRXguy
08-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Found a pic of the new color apparently, for the upcoming new year. Perhaps another car on my driveway? :eek: :hitit:

CRXguy
08-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Found this pretty funny as well. It looks more like Daytona Blue though. :thumbsup:

dj_honda
08-05-2003, 10:57 PM
i like silver better...just lower it, get rid of the spoiler and some gunmetal or bronze rims on a silver one would look perfect

SilverRex
08-05-2003, 10:57 PM
hmm the car IS impressive but too bad its domestic, now I have a reason to go cruising everyday just to hunt one down.. mahaha jk
but if I ever saw one, I wont just let it drive by. My car will be speaking to it in a different kind of language

90_Shelby
08-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
hmm the car IS impressive but too bad its domestic, now I have a reason to go cruising everyday just to hunt one down.. mahaha jk
but if I ever saw one, I wont just let it drive by. My car will be speaking to it in a different kind of language

Possibly a pissed off language? As you watch it's tail lights disappear?:D

Weapon_R
08-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

You'd Lose. What kind of language would your car be speaking? :rofl: